Helpful Reply"General Error" Message

Author
Affenbrot
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2009/01/18 11:41:03 (permalink)

"General Error" Message

Hello,

i'm new to this Forum, using Sonar Producer Edition 7 (german) since November and coping with a major problem.
My system is:

Pentium Q9550
2 GB Ram Corsair
Samsung SP250 HD
Terratec Producer Phase FW24

Yesterday I sat on a project, quite full now of Softsynths and Effects and suddenly I wasn't able anymore to save the project. When I've tried to do so I got the error message

"Allgemeiner Fehler" which one can translate into english with "General Error".

After this the mouse got slower and I closed sonar down the ability to save the hard work of the last two hours. But the problem continued, my system was total slow, the mouse switched from one corner to the other without beeing moved by me. I restarted the system and everything was okay again. But everytime I try to open the project for at least after 5 minutes or when I try to save there are the same problems.

CPU is at about 40 %, Sonar tells so and the System tells so. Soundcard is working great on any other application, I have no Anti Virus or Firewall in this system not even a connection to the internet or any other applications in the background like MSN,etc. Storing place is also enough on the Hard disk. And the issue is occuring only with this one project.

My guess is the RAM. May it be, these symptoms are the typical ones for an overstressing of the RAM?

Anybody other ever experienced this problem?

Best regards,
Nico
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
RE: "General Error" Message 2009/01/18 11:53:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby walltrev 2016/08/16 20:05:57
It could be a result of running out of RAM Have you changed your virtual memory/page file settings at all? Have you tried freezing the synths one at a time to see if it's one of those causing the problem?
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
RE: "General Error" Message 2009/01/18 11:53:42 (permalink)
Just as a general reaction, it does sound like hardware problem, and RAM is definitely the first place I'd look.
However, if your hard drives are not configured perfectly, there can be really strange symtoms. So check those as well.

Another area to look out for is IRQ conflicts.

ORIGINAL: Affenbrot

Hello,

i'm new to this Forum, using Sonar Producer Edition 7 (german) since November and coping with a major problem.
My system is:

Pentium Q9550
2 GB Ram Corsair
Samsung SP250 HD
Terratec Producer Phase FW24

Yesterday I sat on a project, quite full now of Softsynths and Effects and suddenly I wasn't able anymore to save the project. When I've tried to do so I got the error message

"Allgemeiner Fehler" which one can translate into english with "General Error".

After this the mouse got slower and I closed sonar down the ability to save the hard work of the last two hours. But the problem continued, my system was total slow, the mouse switched from one corner to the other without beeing moved by me. I restarted the system and everything was okay again. But everytime I try to open the project for at least after 5 minutes or when I try to save there are the same problems.

CPU is at about 40 %, Sonar tells so and the System tells so. Soundcard is working great on any other application, I have no Anti Virus or Firewall in this system not even a connection to the internet or any other applications in the background like MSN,etc. Storing place is also enough on the Hard disk. And the issue is occuring only with this one project.

My guess is the RAM. May it be, these symptoms are the typical ones for an overstressing of the RAM?

Anybody other ever experienced this problem?

Best regards,
Nico

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
Affenbrot
RE: "General Error" Message 2009/01/18 12:03:48 (permalink)
No, i didn't made any changes to RAM Settings (i know absolutely nothing concerning this topic) and for now the problem occurs for the first time. Didn't yet made the test to freeze the synths (what a bunch of work that would be with all those synths and effects )
Is there any simple tool to watch the stressing of RAM, then I could easily proof...
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
RE: "General Error" Message 2009/01/18 12:10:40 (permalink)
I use a program called ORTHOS on my systems at build time and after any tinkering/overclocking. Find it HERE
Affenbrot
RE: "General Error" Message 2009/01/18 12:47:25 (permalink)
Hm, it looks very complicated, isn't there any easier way to proof the stressing of ram?
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
RE: "General Error" Message 2009/01/18 12:55:50 (permalink)
I'm working from memory but if I remember correctly simply download the program, open it (no installation required) select 'blend test' and set it going - that's it. You won't find much simpler than that.
WDI
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2069
RE: "General Error" Message 2009/01/18 13:00:02 (permalink)
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

I've never used it, but it sounds similar to one I've used before but it's been a long time. Sounds like you will need a floopy drive which I no long have. I think you copy the program to the floopy and boot your computer to the floopy and it runs its test.

Really the error could be caused by anything. Does anyone know if Cakewalk creates a dumb (edit: sorry I meant dump) file or something. I think it does and you could send it in to them to analysies, or something like that.

Perhaps you could try removing the last couple of plugs/synths one at a time to see if you can narrow it down to a specific plug.

EDIT:

It looks like you can run that diagnostic test also from a CD rom.
post edited by WDI - 2009/01/18 13:07:00

Sonar 7 PE
Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
MSI K8N Neo4-F
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2 GB PC 3200 Ram
RME Fireface 800
Edirol FA-66
CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
Resonant Order
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 647
RE: "General Error" Message 2009/01/18 13:09:47 (permalink)
How much room is on the hard disk? I've found that Windows begins to act strange if you have less than 20% room left on the C:/ drive.

You only list one hard drive. You should have a second one to record and save projects to. There's less interference with the swap file with two drives.

Which version of Windows are you using? It does sound like a Ram problem. Vista needs way more ram than XP to do the same type of task.

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Music at Night, 1931- Aldous Huxley
Affenbrot
RE: "General Error" Message 2009/01/18 15:33:02 (permalink)
Many thanks for your answer....i will try this evening and give you report if the reason is the RAM otherwise i have to search further.
No, on the harddisk there is enough place. I use one Harddisk with two partition and store (backup) project files, samples such on always on my external harddrive.
Im using Windows XP, wouldn't have a problem if I find out that I have to go and buy some new 2 GB RAM additionally as long as I could continue with working on that project...
How is it with 4 GB, actually the most Windows XP can handle is 3 GB how does one handle this? Just put the 4 GB anyway in the computer and Windwows XP will recognize only 3 GB ?
CJaysMusic
  • Total Posts : 30423
RE: "General Error" Message 2009/01/18 16:33:35 (permalink)
if I find out that I have to go and buy some new 2 GB RAM additionally as long as I could continue with working on that project...
How is it with 4 GB, actually the most Windows XP can handle is 3 GB how does one handle this? Just put the 4 GB anyway in the computer and Windwows XP will recognize only 3 GB ?

You use the 3gig switch. I have 4 gigs with XP32 and have the switch. I really cant tell if the switch does anythnig, but i have it. It sure doesnt hurt to do it or try it.
Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
kwgm
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2271
RE: "General Error" Message 2009/01/18 16:47:45 (permalink)
It sounds like you've reached the limit of RAM, but you don't have to guess... use the Windows Task Manager program to check both the Available Physical Memory, and the Total Commit Memory of your system.

I suspect that you may need only to increase the size of your Windows Page file, but if not, then adding another Gb of RAM will certainly help.

Open Sonar, load your Project, and work until you notice this problem. Then Open Task Manager (right-click on the Windows Taskbar, choose from pop-up menu).

Let us know these values from Task Manager's Performance Tab:

Physical Memory: Total, Available, System Cache (for a snapshot of your RAM status)
Commit Memory: Total, Limit, Peak (for an view of your Page file status)
Totals: Handles, Threads, Processes (for an idea of resource utilization)

--kwgm
bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: RE: "General Error" Message 2014/06/02 09:20:59 (permalink)
I have also had this happen to me even this weekend with Sonar X3e

I have a work around that solves the problem.

It seems to rear it's head after an export.
Clicking file, save produces the "General Error" dialog.

For me, the fix is to click anywhere on the timeline and start playing even for a small bit.
After that, the state of things is back to "normal" and I can save again.
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: RE: "General Error" Message 2014/06/02 11:07:02 (permalink)
This is a very old thread so your not only in the wrong decade, you in the wrong forum..these people all passed away ..

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1