I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is he and the band? :)

Author
egervari
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 318
2009/01/29 04:28:06 (permalink)

I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is he and the band? :)

I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time. The story (so far... I can't find the rest) was so entertaining. Question: Who is he and the band? :) I read on some places that the name eventually did become known to the public and that many people have figured it out. However, after 30 minutes of googling, I can't find a guaranteed forum post or article stating it (I doubt it's velvet revolver... and nine days and lifehouse were the other guesses. I doubt any of them are true).

Honestly, I think the posts that even talk about knowing the identity can even be more misdirection.

Anyway, for curiosities sake, I'm going to ask: Does anyone actually know, or is it the work of fiction, or is it unknown even at this point in time?

My Latest Give it a listen and rate it please!
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7908838

My Music:
http://www.soundclick.com/KenEgervari

Specs:
Software: Sonar 7 Producer
Audio Interface: Edirol FA-66
Mic: Shure SM81
Guitar: Seagull Performer Mini-Jumbo

21 Replies Related Threads

egervari
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is he and 2009/01/29 04:31:49 (permalink)
    Oh, and if you haven't read the diaries... you can read the first 6 weeks here:
    http://www.mixerman.net/diaries_main.php

It'll take a good night or two to read everything, and it's very entertaining. In some ways, it's so unbelievable that I actually think it would have had to happen in real life because fiction wouldn't be that good. On the other hand, maybe the entire story is a combination of a whole bunch of things that really did happen in real life.

Either way, the story is just so gripping and compelling and funny. It's well-worth the read, even if it is a work of fiction.

My Latest Give it a listen and rate it please!
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7908838

My Music:
    http://www.soundclick.com/KenEgervari

Specs:
    Software: Sonar 7 Producer
    Audio Interface: Edirol FA-66
    Mic: Shure SM81
    Guitar: Seagull Performer Mini-Jumbo
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    RE: I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is he and 2009/01/30 01:29:42 (permalink)
    You'll get a lot of theories on who he is and who the band was. I have heard at least 3 different people swear they know but then state that they can't say or it will effect their standing in the music community. However, he is one of the moderators at this site so maybe you can figure it out from there. http://thewombforums.com/index.php

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is he and 2009/01/30 10:37:58 (permalink)
    Man, I'm only half way through day one, and I don't know if I can hang with it. This guy is totally arrogant and has obvious anger management issues to go along with his Napoleon complex.

EDIT: OK, I admit, I'm sucked in now. Just finished the first two weeks, about to start week 3.

I totally expect it's really this possibility that you mentioned above:

"On the other hand, maybe the entire story is a combination of a whole bunch of things that really did happen in real life."

I kind of think it's a fictional compilation of all possible "worst case scenarios" that the author either lived through or heard about in his career (and / or "heard about" on gearslutz).
    post edited by ed97643 - 2009/01/30 16:05:59

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is he and 2009/01/30 18:27:36 (permalink)
    i actually tried to find where you could buy the whole book but for some reason i couldn't. i don't remember if it was a site problem or if they had taken it down... it's hilarious reading though. i'm arrogant too so i loved it

- jack the ex-cynic
    sven450
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 945
    RE: I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is he and 2009/02/02 19:52:37 (permalink)
    just gotta give this a bump. these diaries are totally addictive and hilarious. very entertaining stuff....

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
    Roland Octa-Capture            
    Win 10 
    i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
    Some songs
    Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
    Originals:
     https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
    Ikaru
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is he and 2009/02/04 11:49:47 (permalink)
    Just got done reading the first 6 weeks. I am sad that there doesn't appear to be a way to finish the diary. Looks like Amazon will have the hardcover in stock ...in May. I hate waiting.
    Nate
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 726
    RE: I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is he and 2009/02/04 14:03:09 (permalink)
    The 'Diaries' are over 3 years old at this point; and the demand has tailed off considerably.

On the Usenet group Rec.Audio.Pro it was discussed ad naseum who the band and producer (s) were. Mixerman himself used to post there and was
    quite the celebrity incognito for a while. As it turned out most of the 'regulars' knew him and his work quite well.

A whole lot of Band theories were pushed...I even thought I had found out the band ( I thought it was Guns and Roses ) but was informed by a guy at Mercenary how wrong I was--although it's thought that Mixerman worked on the first GNR album in some engineering capacity.

But truth be told it was all a fictional account that was a conglomerate 'mix' of his many expieriences. Oneonly has to be in the business...especially in the upper echelons of engineering and producing to know that no one who wants a job in the future (especially a freelance engineer/work for hire type) is going to say anything specific in public about the shennagans that go on when recording. It's too small a community to talk in ( even if you do generate $200K in sales MM was reported to have earned from his 'diary').

And another aspect of the 'diary' is that it plays into the stereotypical thinking that rock musicans are really idiots controlled by some Machavellian super genius musican producer. Those people only account for less than 10% of the musicians...
    Mixerman
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is he and 2009/02/04 14:13:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Nate

The 'Diaries' are over 3 years old at this point; and the demand has tailed off considerably.

On the Usenet group Rec.Audio.Pro it was discussed ad naseum who the band and producer (s) were. Mixerman himself used to post there and was
    quite the celebrity incognito for a while. As it turned out most of the 'regulars' knew him and his work quite well.

A whole lot of Band theories were pushed...I even thought I had found out the band ( I thought it was Guns and Roses ) but was informed by a guy at Mercenary how wrong I was--although it's thought that Mixerman worked on the first GNR album in some engineering capacity.

But truth be told it was all a fictional account that was a conglomerate 'mix' of his many expieriences. Oneonly has to be in the business...especially in the upper echelons of engineering and producing to know that no one who wants a job in the future (especially a freelance engineer/work for hire type) is going to say anything specific in public about the shennagans that go on when recording. It's too small a community to talk in ( even if you do generate $200K in sales MM was reported to have earned from his 'diary').

And another aspect of the 'diary' is that it plays into the stereotypical thinking that rock musicans are really idiots controlled by some Machavellian super genius musican producer. Those people only account for less than 10% of the musicians...

Hey Guys,

Glad you're enjoying the first six weeks. As to my identity, there are all sort of theories out there. There's even people who claim to "know." But you have to be careful about what you read on the internet. There are all sorts of competing theories out there.

As to the claim that it's fictional (another claim that is disputed all over the net), I'll just say this: It's all true.

As to the claim that demand for the book has tapered off? If anything it's grown. And I didn't make $200k from my diaries. I mean, the amount of mythology that you find on the internet is staggering.

Anyway, I just thought I'd let you all know that the book will be coming out again this Spring on Hal Leonard's Backbeat Books imprint. And you're gonna be able to buy the book all over the world. If it's okay with you guys, I'll give you an exact release date when I have one.

Thanks!

Enjoy,

Mixerman
    post edited by Mixerman - 2009/02/04 14:22:41

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is he and 2009/02/04 16:04:00 (permalink)
    Hmmph! Clearly an imposter!

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Nate
    RE: I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is he and 2009/02/04 16:14:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mixerman
    As to my identity, there are all sort of theories out there. There's even people who claim to "know." But you have to be careful about what you read on the internet. There are all sorts of competing theories out there

Perhaps....but I was at an AES Rec Audio Pro dinner a year or so prior to the release of the diaries, and there was someone there who said they posted on R.A.P. and introduced themselves as <insert name> who said they went by Mixerman. If that wasn't you then I apologize for misrepresenting you.

I'll just say this: It's all true.

IRRC no one's doubted that it's true. What they doubt (and I stand by) is this is a single band and producer and not a conglomeration of many events with composite people drawn up.

post edited by Nate - 2009/02/04 16:42:20
    Mixerman
    RE: I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is he and 2009/02/04 16:49:47 (permalink)

IRRC no one's doubted that it's true. What they doubt and I stand by is this is a conglomeration of many events with composit people draw up.

You're more than welcome to stand by a guess. But I might point out that I've never worked with Guns and Roses. The Diaries are, in fact, 7 years old, not 3. Demand is, and has been, high since I sold out of the first edition. The first edition books frequently sell on Ebay for over $100 regardless of the condition. If there was no demand, I'm fairly certain the title wouldn't have been picked up by a Major Publishing house. And lastly, in order to "make" $200k I would have had to have sold at least 20,000 copies of it. In order to gross $200k I would have had to have sold 10,000 copies. I can promise you, I didn't print anywhere near 20,000 or 10,000 copies from my little online store. That's why I signed with a publisher.

So, that's three blaring factual errors in your post. I'm thinking you're far from being "in the know" on any of this. Perhaps you believe that my work is fiction because so much of your work is fiction. Just saying.

Anyone who is wondering if I'm an impostor is welcome to email me for verification. You can reach me here: mixerman@mixerman.net. I'll come by again when I have an exact date on the book release.

Thanks guys!

Oh, and GO CAKEWALK!

Enjoy,

Mixerman
    post edited by Mixerman - 2009/02/04 16:56:48

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is he and 2009/02/04 17:24:02 (permalink)
    I don't know that you're really an imposter. I just wanted to help add to your mystique

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is he and 2009/02/04 19:41:10 (permalink)
    I'll come by again when I have an exact date on the book release.

awesome. i would have got it a couple years ago when i read it the first time but it wasn't available.

- jack the ex-cynic
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is he and 2009/02/04 19:53:39 (permalink)
    Oh, and GO CAKEWALK!

Is that GO CAKEWALK! RAH RAH RAH!

or

GO CAKEWALK! GET THEE BEHIND ME!

edit: I'm still waiting for the TV show.
    post edited by tarsier - 2009/02/04 19:58:18
    Nate
    RE: I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is he and 2009/02/04 19:55:38 (permalink)
    You're more than welcome to stand by a guess.

Why thank you. I now give you permission to tell me I'm wrong.

But I might point out that I've never worked with Guns and Roses.

I heard it that way and say that because of the guy who told was working for GNR at the time. He also worked for Cheap Trick during that era too. I don't really care either way. The Diaries are super fun reading and it matters little whether I'm right, you are right, or I imagined the whole thing.

The Diaries are, in fact, 7 years old, not 3.

I started going to the r.a.p AES dinners about 1998 or so. I heard and saw what I saw at them. But once again...does it matter if I know or don't know? I like the diaries, lots of people like the diaries. And as far as I know no one has ever bought or not bought a copy becuase of what I think or say.

Demand is, and has been, high since I sold out of the first edition. The first edition books frequently sell on Ebay for over $100 regardless of the condition. If there was no demand, I'm fairly certain the title wouldn't have been picked up by a Major Publishing house. And lastly, in order to "make" $200k I would have had to have sold at least 20,000 copies of it. In order to gross $200k I would have had to have sold 10,000 copies. I can promise you, I didn't print anywhere near 20,000 or 10,000 copies from my little online store. That's why I signed with a publisher.

Are you saying you don't make money from your publisher?

Anyone who is wondering if I'm an impostor is welcome to email me for verification.

That's confusing...if you think I'm implying or saying outright that you aren't the enigneer you say you are, I'm not. And I apologize to you if you think I'm saying that. I was speaking from my expierience that I don't talk publically about clients or people who are providing me with a living and get to keep working. Perhaps you can. It's a weird enough business and you could be in a strong enough position to do so. I know I can't.
    post edited by Nate - 2009/02/05 06:05:04
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is he and 2009/02/04 19:55:49 (permalink)
    he's just covering for that secret pro tools addiction he's got...

- jack the ex-cynic
    Mixerman
    Re: RE: I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is h 2016/10/13 15:09:22 (permalink)
    Hey everyone, I don't mean to necro thread or anything, but for those of you who enjoyed The Daily Adventures of Mixerman, I've released a new satire on the current state of the music business. It's called #Mixerman and the Billionheir Apparent, and it's a wild ride. Check out the trailer for both the fully produced audiobook and the hardbound book.

Enjoy, #Mixerman

Ham N Egz
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 15161
    Re: RE: I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is h 2016/10/13 15:34:55 (permalink)
    thanks for chiming in Mix, but those members are long gone....

I do enjoy the womb and your observations, though....

Green Acres is the place to be
     I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

Randy P
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re: RE: I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is h 2016/10/13 17:48:19 (permalink)
    Ham N Egz

I do enjoy the womb and your observations, though....

I'm in contact with Nate frequently. I'll give him a heads up about the new project. Nice to see you around here again Eric.

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: RE: I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is h 2016/10/13 19:17:36 (permalink)
    Ham N Egz

Hey, I'm still here! Oh, wait, I didn't contribute anything to that thread. 

But I am a big fan of the books. Although I have no copies left...you just can't loan musicians anything.

Billionheir just went on my wishlist.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: RE: I just read the first 6 weeks of mixerman's diaries for the first time - who is h 2016/10/13 19:59:59 (permalink)
    bitflipper

Billionheir just went on my wishlist.

I've been wishing for that for over 40 years now.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1