Can we lock down the UI layouts (and disappearing large transport)?

Author
Lunatique
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 194
2009/02/19 02:50:30 (permalink)

Can we lock down the UI layouts (and disappearing large transport)?

For my workflow, I created hot keys that bind various layouts so I can very quickly jump between them. I have noticed a problem though--there doesn't seem to be a way to lock down the UI layout once you save it. Sometimes, it's possible to accidentally move a tool bar or maximize or restore down the window, and it'll mess up the painstakingly perfected layout. Reloading it will not restore the layouts--you'd have to do it all by hand again. So is there a way to actually force a totaly lock on the layouts once we create them so if we accidentally mess them up, restoring will bring to to their saved states perfectly?

On a related note, while working yersterday, I accidentally move the large transport to God knows where, and I cannot for the life of me find it again. I tried everything--closing everythign else, checking on and off the toolbar selection, moving the entire Sonar window around the desktop to see if it's hiding behind something. Nothing worked. My large transport simply disappeared. This is PRECISELY why I'm asking if we can lock down a layout--to prevent such accidents. Same goes for the toolbar itself. It's great that we can move them around in different configurations, but we need to be able to lock them down to protect too once we finish designing the layouts!

Another issue is that I have dual 24" displays, and normally use them together in vertical rotation to form one big screen, but sometimes I have them in horizontal mode. Sonar GUI will get messed up if you change things like that, and even saving layouts in both vertical and horizontal modes do not help, as the toolbar will everything else will simply get messed up even if yo tried to reload a layout.

This has been an issue for many years for me. Any help is appreciated.

Website + Blog: www.ethereality.info

4 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Can we lock down the UI layouts (and disappearing large transport)? 2009/02/19 03:13:38 (permalink)
    For my workflow, I created hot keys that bind various layouts so I can very quickly jump between them. I have noticed a problem though--there doesn't seem to be a way to lock down the UI layout once you save it. Sometimes, it's possible to accidentally move a tool bar or maximize or restore down the window, and it'll mess up the painstakingly perfected layout. Reloading it will not restore the layouts--you'd have to do it all by hand again. So is there a way to actually force a totaly lock on the layouts once we create them so if we accidentally mess them up, restoring will bring to to their saved states perfectly?

I am not sure I fully understand what you are asking. I can't see a way to move a tool bar and not know it. I have what I call templates but they are not true templates at all. They are simply projects in their own folder and their own name that I use repeatedly. These projects keep all the same settings that I last save with them. This includes windows and all project related settings. However, I have noticed that when you save a project many of the setting for that project will sometimes be carried over to a new project. The Transport position for example will not always be the same as was last save with the current project but will reflect where it was in another project. This occurs only when the current project did not have the Transport opened when it was last saved.

Following this a little one can say that Sonar will remember where a window was last used if it has not been used in the current project and setup for it. So say you had the CV open on your second monitor two projects back. You have not open it lately for for the last two projects. It will I believe open on the second monitor if opened in this project. Move it to the first monitor and save the project open it and it will be now on the first monitor as it was save that way.

Another issue is that I have dual 24" displays, and normally use them together in vertical rotation to form one big screen, but sometimes I have them in horizontal mode. Sonar GUI will get messed up if you change things like that, and even saving layouts in both vertical and horizontal modes do not help, as the toolbar will everything else will simply get messed up even if yo tried to reload a layout.
    I would think that is to be expected. I have never had a vertical orientation with my monitors so I really can't speak to that.

On a related note, while working yersterday, I accidentally move the large transport to God knows where, and I cannot for the life of me find it again. I tried everything--closing everythign else, checking on and off the toolbar selection, moving the entire Sonar window around the desktop to see if it's hiding behind something. Nothing worked. My large transport simply disappeared. This is PRECISELY why I'm asking if we can lock down a layout--to prevent such accidents. Same goes for the toolbar itself. It's great that we can move them around in different configurations, but we need to be able to lock them down to protect too once we finish designing the layouts!
    Did you try hitting F4? If that is no help try changing your screen resolution to find it. Also it may be on the window menu. But remember its a toolbar and doesn't follow all the windows rules.

I should add I don't know if any of the above is of any value to you but it may be useful in creating strategies that help in your layouts.
    post edited by John - 2009/02/19 03:32:28

Best
    John
    Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Can we lock down the UI layouts (and disappearing large transport)? 2009/02/19 05:05:46 (permalink)
    On a related note, while working yersterday, I accidentally move the large transport to God knows where, and I cannot for the life of me find it again. I tried everything--closing everythign else, checking on and off the toolbar selection, moving the entire Sonar window around the desktop to see if it's hiding behind something. Nothing worked. My large transport simply disappeared. This is PRECISELY why I'm asking if we can lock down a layout--to prevent such accidents.

As John says pressing F4 should bring it back if it doesn't then you've hidden it somewhere.

I remember being kind of frustrated about not being able to find it after I'd closed it one time there is a check box for it somewhere but once I'd learned a few more handy Keyboard shortcuts I've become a little less fretful.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Can we lock down the UI layouts (and disappearing large transport)? 2009/02/19 07:26:04 (permalink)
    Luna, if you lost your transport and you think its off screen. Lower your screen resolution so you have more real estate to see and then drag it to the center. when your done, set the resolution back to your desired position
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    jackn2mpu
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2765
    RE: Can we lock down the UI layouts (and disappearing large transport)? 2009/02/19 08:07:55 (permalink)
    Could this be an Xray problem?

Jack
    Qapla!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1