Vintage Guitar collectors ?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
2009/02/20 10:32:58
Are there any vintage guitar/amp collectors here ?

I've been collecting old guitars and amps for years, some of which I have pictures of on
MySpace

I've done some "horse trading" over the years... (figuratively speaking)

Anyone else ?

1959 Les Paul Jr 3/4 & 1960 EB-0

post edited by notnat - 2009/02/25 10:41:05
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/20 11:16:33
I have a collection of 45 or so guitars. There are a few old ones.
56 strat sunburst hard tail (and it is sweet)
52 ES 295 (big gold and rockabilly)
64 Firebird VII (Red - like God intended)
73 Les Paul
I dont know if you would call this vintage, but in 1980 or so, Gibson re-issued the V, Explorer and Moderne (hardly a reissue) in what they called the Heritage Series. These were pretty close replicas of the original Korina guitars. I own A series (the first batches) of each of them.

Those are the older things I own. I also have some odd balls like
American Standard (Cool and limited)
Gittler (fishbones with strings)
Stick
Roswell Rhoads - one of the original 130 or so made from old aircraft wing.
Charvel Surfcaster DOUBLE NECK (who thought of that???).

Guitar synths - Roland G707 - the one with the bar or whatever that is. I actually prefer my
Ibanez IMG 2010
Both of those are vintage 80s and I guess they are approaching 30 years - not nearly vintage like the 295, F VII or Strat, but getting up there.

A couple of Fenders from when they were first coming out from under CBS and didnt have manufacturing. The Performer is awesome - a strat on steroids. So is my Paisley Tele. I have one of the Katanas solely for the historical significance. But again, these were from a very specific period where Fender was not CBS but had no US manufacturing.

And other cool things. I have the Historic 59 LP and Dot Neck 335.

Custom Shops - can't remember them all right now, but I have a custom shop LP that is candy apple red with a translucent finish over highly flamed maple top, with gold and cream hardware. I have a Mary Kaye Closet Classic strat - the one I turn to the most. Again, not really old, but somewhat limited and definately an awesome guitar.

On the amp front I have
52-ish Tweed Princeton
68 princeton reverb
67 blackface Deluxe
69 Super Six (twin reverb with 6 10" speakers)
60 Gretsch 6120
Some vox stuff, some marshall stuff...
and 3 Kendricks (my favorites)

I also have vintage synths, but that is another story.
post edited by space_cowboy - 2009/02/20 11:28:36
Geokauf
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/20 13:47:25
I've been collecting old guitars and amps for years, some of which I have pictures of, on MySpace...

I have a collection of 45 or so guitars. There are a few old ones.

Hello,

This is as good a place for me to start. I wish to sell my 1937 D'Angelico Style A, in excellent condition with original case. I will use the proceeds to buy my 20 year old daughter, who is physically handicapped in that she needs forearm crutches to walk, a new car. To her a vehicle is not a luxury, it is an enabling necessity.

This instrument has had two owners, the original owner and me and I have owned it since 1975. It is not in any published books on DA's where they've tried to reconcile the known instruments to the shop records because it has never been in the marketplace. The instrument's peghead is my avatar. I'm not sure the best way to advertise this instrument. I don't think the 7-10 day E-bay auction is the right place and Craigslist is by city, there is no way to place a national advert. Any suggestions on better musician's classifieds?

There are no worthy photos available but I could take quick digital photos and e-mail, but I am having the instrument professional photographed (a photographer who does museum catalogs).

I am dead serious about selling this instrument so please keep it real. No low-ball offers. You asked. Right? :-)

GK
mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/20 16:39:26
Nat, I've seen some of your spectacular collection. I pale in comparison. My only vintage guitar is a Limited Edition Les Paul, circa 1975, reissued of a '55 model, my first electric guitar, which I still have.

On the other hand I have made a couple of actual horse trades: a quarter horse for a sweet little Appaloosa mare, and one time for a 17 hand bay quarter horse
Crg
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/20 20:31:38
1956 Les Paul Junior.
RockStringBender
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/20 20:32:41
I never saw myself as a collector as I accumulated shred axes but I guess I am. Kramer Freak here, have had 70-80 nof them, still sitting on about 50. Sweet axes.
The Maillard Reaction
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/21 08:30:15
Geokauf, I would think... even if it's counter intuitive, that you would get best return on your DA with the help of a reputable broker... someone who knows the top one hundred prospects with regards to buyers for your very special guitar.

Mandolin Bro or George Gruhn perhaps?

I have a stash of players guitars... some are nearly new... all of them are classic guitar voices and have been selected for the quality of construction and parts selection as well as the subtle variety they provide.

best,
mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/02/21 08:32:58
spacey
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/21 14:22:18
I do have many guitars, probably to many for my needs but I don't feel I'm a collector.

One that is special to me that I thought I'd share.

My dad wanted me to learn guitar as he was a steel player. Aroung 1964 my second teacher retired and gave him this lap steel.
Many years later he gave it to me. It has the original price tag hanging on it as it's never been played. The value I imagine is to me but how often do we get to see a 45+ year old instrument that's never been played? It's a 1963 model.

notnat
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/21 15:14:53
That's a cool lap steel... Looks a little like a Valco but I don't recognize the logo... I can't make it out... What does the logo read?
notnat
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/21 15:26:03
ORIGINAL: Crg

1956 Les Paul Junior.

Very clean single cut JR's really appreciated just a few years ago (7-10k)... I don't know what they're bringing now though...

I sold a minty '57 JR for $1800 about 10 years ago...
Who knew???
post edited by notnat - 2009/02/21 15:32:07
Geokauf
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/21 15:27:35
Mandolin Bro

Hi Mike,

Thanks. Good call. They're on Staten Island (about a 1:15 hour drive from me). I was just on Staten Island last week for the first time in many years to visit a customer. Dang. I could have stopped there. I'm going to call them.

GK
notnat
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/21 15:39:31
Yeah, I'd stay away from George Gruhn... I've known George for years and I won't deal with him.. but I reference his guidebook quite often...
pistolpete
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/21 15:46:47
I have a 1929 Fender Stratocaster.
jamesg1213
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/21 15:58:18

ORIGINAL: pistolpete

No Pete, you have a Fender Strat guitar clock, and it's almost seven-thirty. Time for bed.
pistolpete
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/21 16:13:06
As a matter of fact I have a vintage fender guitar clock from the 1890's. It's quite rare.
spacey
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/21 17:00:02
ORIGINAL: notnat

That's a cool lap steel... Looks a little like a Valco but I don't recognize the logo... I can't make it out... What does the logo read?

It's a Gretsch. Sorry I didn't include.

post edited by spacey - 2009/02/21 17:27:10
keith
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/21 18:08:28

ORIGINAL: Geokauf
Mandolin Bro

Thanks. Good call. They're on Staten Island (about a 1:15 hour drive from me). I was just on Staten Island last week for the first time in many years to visit a customer. Dang. I could have stopped there. I'm going to call them.

I was going to say... what about a place like Christie's? They deal with vintage instruments, and you probably have a good idea of what you're dealing with. Maybe the commissions over the top, who knows... Good luck!
jimmyman
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/21 19:36:09
notnat wrote

Yeah, I'd stay away from George Gruhn... I've known George for years and I won't deal with him.. but I reference his guidebook quite often...

i hear ya on that.

ive got a banjo that no one has indentifeid yet. it has no name
or markings on it. it has this huge decal on the back of the body
and rectangle brass frets. originaly a calf skin top but now a plastic
one.

hum i wonder if antique road show could intendify it?

jimmy
SvenArne
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/22 01:01:51

ORIGINAL: spacey

I do have many guitars, probably to many for my needs but I don't feel I'm a collector.

One that is special to me that I thought I'd share.

My dad wanted me to learn guitar as he was a steel player. Aroung 1964 my second teacher retired and gave him this lap steel.
Many years later he gave it to me. It has the original price tag hanging on it as it's never been played. The value I imagine is to me but how often do we get to see a 45+ year old instrument that's never been played? It's a 1963 model.

Looks just like my Gretsch Electromatic, but probably better quality! You should start playing it now! It's great fun!

Sven
Crg
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/22 08:20:40
Well mines certainly not mint condition as it was my first electric guitar and I beat the sh** of it for years. I've seen them go for more than 10K. Mine needs a little fretboard work in the lower register. I once talked to the vintage guitar tech at the Guitar Center down in Hollywood about it. I had a difficult time getting out of the store without giving him my address.
I'm actually afraid to leave it anywhere.

1956 Les Paul Junior.

Very clean single cut JR's really appreciated just a few years ago (7-10k)... I don't know what they're bringing now though...

I sold a minty '57 JR for $1800 about 10 years ago...
Who knew???

robby
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/23 00:54:25
I'm a vintage guitar player, after I have a nice vintage? (a nice box of wine from a good year?) I like to play my guitars?
notnat
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/23 08:59:40
I still have a box from last year... '08 was a very good year...

Come to think of it, I have a guitar that was 100 years old last year, a 1908 Gibson L-1

post edited by notnat - 2009/02/24 11:26:23
pistolpete
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/23 17:35:48

ORIGINAL: robby

I'm a vintage guitar player, after I have a nice vintage? (a nice box of wine from a good year?) I like to play my guitars?

I didn't think good wine came in a box. Shoes come in a box.
notnat
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/23 18:40:11

Sounds like a "one-of-a-kind" to me...
Crg
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/23 20:02:07
It sounds a little eeaarrllyy! Got me wondering though, what is the year of the earliest Strat? I want to say 1949 but that's just fishing.

notnat
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/23 22:01:50

It sounds a little eeaarrllyy! Got me wondering though, what is the year of the earliest Strat? I want to say 1949 but that's just fishing.

The Stratocaster was first produced in the Spring of 1954...
post edited by notnat - 2009/02/23 22:24:17
Rbh
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/23 22:50:37
Yea, I'd agree to go with an auction house for that. That might be more than just a collectible guitar valuation you'd get. The right buyer might almost let you retire.
notnat
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/24 11:18:13
Ok, I finally figured out how to post an image... Duh

I still have a box from last year... '08 was a very good year...

Come to think of it, I have a guitar that was 100 years old last year, a 1908 Gibson L-1

post edited by notnat - 2009/02/24 11:31:56
mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/24 12:24:15
Great pics, Nat. The oldest guitar I ever played was a 1912 Sears and Roebuck
Telecaster
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/24 13:40:49

Hello again, this is my second post here...

I've been collecting old guitars and amps for years, some of which I have pictures of, on MySpace...

I've done a lot of "horse trading" over the years... (figuratively speaking)
Anyone else ?

Hey Frank,

That's an awesome collection you have how many years has it taken you to collect them?

Cheers
Mike
space_cowboy
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/24 14:07:30
Nice indeed Frank
Dothan Huh? I graduated from U of A in 80. My family lived in Fairhope and I was born in Mobile.

You play your super 6 much? I bought a 70-ish Super 6 about 5 years ago. I used to own a Quad Reverb and loved it, but sold it because of some girl. I still would like to have another. But the SS is such a great sound. Nearly impossible to move though.

Also, the red Strat with the red headstock - what is that? I have a STRAT model stratocaster - 1980 or 81 I think. Mine is lake placid blue I believe (light sparkley blue) with the painted headstock. But my hardware is all gold. The only red I had seen before was gold hardware too.
notnat
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/24 16:12:00

ORIGINAL: mcourter

Great pics, Nat. The oldest guitar I ever played was a 1912 Sears and Roebuck

I'd love to see that one...

Here's a 1914 A-2 Mandolin... Check out the inlays on the tuner buttons...

notnat
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/24 16:37:11

ORIGINAL: Telecaster

Hello again, this is my second post here...

I've done a lot of "horse trading" over the years... (figuratively speaking)
Anyone else ?

Hey Frank,

That's an awesome collection you have how many years has it taken you to collect them?

Cheers
Mike

Thanks, I started trading guitars when I was a teenager... If I had kept all of them, I'd be a wealthy sob today... Now I'm just an old sob with a a bunch of old guitars... I started going to "vintage Guitar Shows" about 18 years ago... but I've kinda' lost interest in that...
I'm more into writing & recording music now...

Here are some nice old Kays from the 50's...
notnat
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/24 17:07:20
ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

Nice indeed Frank
Dothan Huh? I graduated from U of A in 80. My family lived in Fairhope and I was born in Mobile.

You play your super 6 much? I bought a 70-ish Super 6 about 5 years ago. I used to own a Quad Reverb and loved it, but sold it because of some girl. I still would like to have another. But the SS is such a great sound. Nearly impossible to move though.

Also, the red Strat with the red headstock - what is that? I have a STRAT model stratocaster - 1980 or 81 I think. Mine is lake placid blue I believe (light sparkley blue) with the painted headstock. But my hardware is all gold. The only red I had seen before was gold hardware too.

Allright, a homeboy... Well almost... Dothan's way east of Mobile, about 90 miles north of Panama City, FL...
I got rid of the Super Six... Just too big and loud... It was basically a 100 watt Twin Reverb w/six 10's... "Maybe the biggest comboamp ever"...
I'm more of a Prinston/Deluxe Reverb kinda' guy...

This Stratocaster was from a limited run sometime in the 90's I think...
I sold it on Ebay...

post edited by notnat - 2009/02/25 12:55:02
Crg
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/24 21:22:18
Now that is a collector peice! The 1908 Gibson. Catgut strings?
post edited by Crg - 2009/02/24 21:31:33
Axiology
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/25 01:42:56
I can't afford vintage Gibsons, but I like some of the old National and Supro instruments. The pickups look like humbuckers, but they're single coils, with magnets taking up the additional space under the covers. This is not a attempt to decieve - apparently they were patented about 1952/53 - 5 years before gibson started producing guitars with humbucking pickups.

1960 National Debonaire

1961 Supro Coronado

1959 National Stylist
notnat
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/25 09:52:22

Are you kidding? Those are bona fide vintage Americana...
They are beautiful... Great pix Andrew...
I love the VALCOs from the 50's and 60's
I use them in the studio for all my slide work... Those big single coil PU's have such a cool vibe...

space_cowboy
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/25 12:36:08
And the Strat with the matching headstock? What is that?

Yeah putting the super six into a combo was just short of putting a Marshall Stack into a combo. But the good news is, mine can double as a coffin when I kick off.

Nice indeed Frank

Allright, a homeboy... Well almost... Dothan's way east of Mobile, about 90 miles north of Panama City, FL...
I got rid of the Super Six... Just too big and loud... It was basically a 100 watt Twin Reverb w/six 10's... "Maybe the biggest comboamp ever"...
I'm more of a Prinston/Deluxe Reverb kinda' guy...

This Stratocaster was from a limited run sometime in the 90's I think...
I sold it on Ebay...

notnat
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/25 12:54:57

And the Strat with the matching headstock? What is that?

The Stratocaster (w/matching peghead) was from a limited run sometime in the 90's I think... (not really sure)
I sold it on Ebay...

space_cowboy
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/25 15:53:11
Hmm
I have a Strat model from like 1980 with a matching headstock. Heavy as lead.
robby
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/25 16:13:26
Pretty cool guitars here guys :-) Closest I can get is a 92 PRS sunburst. But 92 isn't "vint". I already have WAY too many instruments! This is probably the coolest one I own;

And the Goodall :-)

And the Taylor :-)
post edited by robby - 2009/02/25 16:26:08
notnat
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/25 22:05:11
Robby, that one sexy babe there, what's her name... Are you two together...
robby
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/25 22:21:38
ha! Witch one? It's a harrem :-) I didn't show my basses ;-) an Alembic Stanly Clark Brown bass, and a Warwick fretless thumb bass, they are both sweeeeeeet. I don't want to think about the vintage stuff, because I'll get GAS again, and I just can't afford it right now.
CLEAN
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/25 22:30:58

This isn't a vintage - it's a copy of Clapton's Blackie - 175 of these were made - I bought as an investment - I take it out once in a while and play it - but not very often.

thepogue
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/26 17:51:43
wow great collection!
notnat
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/27 14:05:29
Here's a couple of near mint 3/4 cuties...

1954 ES-140 & 1959 Les Paul Jr.

robby
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/27 16:18:38
Newest member of the family! Vintage 2009 :-) JUST brought her home today!! She's not sleeping through the night yet :-)

post edited by robby - 2009/02/27 20:17:09
notnat
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/28 12:54:35
She's sweet Robby... Are you going to set her up for slide?
Jessie Sammler
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/28 13:46:11
I'm more of an "affordable player" type than a vintage type, but I have three guitars that are potentially of vintage interest:

- A 1967 Japanese classical guitar under the name Wilson & Sons (whoever they are)

- An 80's Kramer Focus 1000 from Japan

- A somewhat rare 80's Kramer Focus 8000 bass, also from Japan. Like the Focus 1000, it has all Schaller hardware and sounds amazing.

notnat
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/28 14:33:26
That thing could put yer eye out !
robby
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/28 15:28:52

She's sweet Robby... Are you going to set her up for slide?

Yeah, that's a pure-D Square neck, high nut, steel bar playin dobro :-) Always enjoyed them, and hell, it's a guitar? How hard could it be? (famous last words...)
ed_mcg
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/28 16:58:10
That's an amazing collection of instruments you have, Frank; it runs the gamut from funky, to cool, to outright beautiful.

For me, not to much in the collectors category. I have a '75 Jazz bass that I bought new and then Frankensteined beyond recognition, so that doesn't really count. Couple years ago a picked up a '78 PBass, all original and in good shape; this is very sweet sounding bass.
space_cowboy
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/02/28 22:58:22
I am a Fender nut. The only colored headstock I have seen (maybe I didn't look enough) was on "The Strat" model from the early 80s. I have one and love it.

Mine looks like this (stock photo)
notnat
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/03/03 18:39:38
Here's a rare bird...
1941 Gibson L-4

bapu
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/03/03 18:46:52
BTW, what is the year delineation for vintage these day?

About 15 years ago I was told 1964.
Jonbouy
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/03/03 18:53:52
Frank

That collection of yours is something else, that would constitute a whole guitar museum over here.

Some great pictures too that red tortoiseshell Belmont I've never seen anything like before.

Great viewing....keep 'em coming they're all works of art.
notnat
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/03/03 19:51:20
Thanks Jon... That Supro Belmont was a perticularly nice one, I actually wound up selling it to Rick Vito (Fleetwood Mac) in Nashville a few years ago...

robby
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/03/03 21:48:54
Man, you've got some nice ones Frank, and the guitars are pretty cool too? I hope it's all well insured? Do you play the vintage ax's? Do any of them play/sound really nice? Or are they more collectors items?
Jonbouy
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/03/03 22:13:17
A 1967 Japanese classical guitar under the name Wilson & Sons (whoever they are)

Basically the Wilson and Sons brand was used for Western distributors (Barnes and Mullins in the UK IIRC) and were the product of Japanese luthiers that went under the name S, K or H Yairi (there should be a label on the inside which will tell you) also the model numbers above 700 were usually the 'better' ones of the bunch. '67 must be among the earliest ones the early '70's being the most common vintage.

Not to be confused with the '60's era, British, Wilson electrics (pictured) which most people owned because they couldn't afford a 'proper' Fender or Gibson, in most cases if the truth be told most players would have preferred the more glamorous American brands at the time even if they do swear by them now. These, Vox, Burns and a few other old British guitars though I would have thought have some nostalgic value now.

Picture from: http://www.watkinsguitars.co.uk/

post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/03/03 22:36:48
notnat
RE: Vintage Guitar collectors ? 2009/03/03 23:36:59

ORIGINAL: robby

Man, you've got some nice ones Frank, and the guitars are pretty cool too? I hope it's all well insured? Do you play the vintage ax's? Do any of them play/sound really nice? Or are they more collectors items?

I do play them (the ones I still own) in the studio... I don't like to take them to gigs... I really don't want to take any unnecessary risk... I don't want to have to hurt anyone... They all have a unique sound and vibe...
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2