[SOLVED!] Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found...

Author
Internalized Sun
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 399
2009/03/21 15:46:16 (permalink)

[SOLVED!] Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found...

Hi everyone,

I finally got around to trying out the Dimension Pro...
I have the Dimension Pro (1.2) that came with Sonar 8 Producer Edition (Dual Layer DVD) - all default locations and I have all the latest updates (Sonar PE 8.3.1 and Content Revision B now) and... yes I did try several re-installs with no luck - no installation errors.

I have found that many multisamples will not load, and it seems to be because of the programs are pointing at the wrong folders (cause I can find the sfz and rx2 files)
When loading the Elements->Rhodes V2 xf I get the following dialog (of course it would not find the sfz in C:\Dimension\Multisamples - that's not the default location):
---------------------------
C:\Dimension\Multisamples\12 - Electric Pianos\Rhodes mk2 2Vxf 4th.sfz
Multisample Not Found
OK

When trying the Expansion Pack 2 I find that ALL of the Grooves are NOT working (notice there's no path prefixed - not even a relative path?!):
Multisample Not Found
Db_155_K01_Lp03.rx2
OK

Help anyone? (especially Cake if this is an error in the .prog files - they should be easy to re-distribute)...

Sincerely,
Dennis P

[edit for user error while screwing up the registry trying to solve - registry restored the above still applies]

[edit: SOLVED - download REX Shared Library.dll from Propellerheads site for REX support in Dimension Pro]

Rock on dudes!
post edited by fessorman - 2009/04/02 15:14:10

2+4 ~ 5?!? Why don't I get the math behind DSP programming?!

Windows 10 Pro x64 , i7 980X, 12GB RAM
Sonar Platinum
Music made at home with Sonar 5/6/8 Producer and Sonar Platinum Edition at:
http://soundcloud.com/internalized-sun

26 Replies Related Threads

DaveClark
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 956
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/03/21 17:46:46 (permalink)
    Hi Dennis,

Based on your description and the fact that the error message refers to "Dimension," I am curious if you have P5, the version which had Dimension in it some years ago. If so, there may be some posts in the P5 forum or elsewhere here that describe how to get these two (Dim and DimPro) to work together. I believe some folks combined all the content into one folder, then pointed to that one, but I'm not sure about that. A similar thing happened with DimLE versus DimPro. b rock or someone else more knowledgeable about this may come along and post. I just thought I would mention this for you to search for.

Regards,
    Dave Clark

Internalized Sun
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/03/22 07:27:19 (permalink)
    No P5 here - no DimLE either...

I do believe that the .prog files have been "programmed" wrong on the distribution DVD that came with Sonar PE 8, but the .prog files are binary so I cannot easily correct them (unless there is a way from inside DimPro...

Thank you for your suggestions though!!

/Dennis P

Sonar Platinum
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/03/22 16:32:36 (permalink)
    It's easy enough to fix your Program files if you have the audio file.

Your first file, C:\Dimension\Multisamples\12 - Electric Pianos\Rhodes mk2 2Vxf 4th.sfz , is misspelled. The actual file name is "Rhodes mk2 2v 4th xf .sfz"

So, in DimPro, navigate to the element in question, click the sample name box to get the File Open dialog, and choose the correct file.

As for the grooves, look in the folder 72 - Rex Drum Loops, and then navigate to the subfolder Drum n Bass Breaks. Your rex files should be in there.

How did I know this? I used the Window's Search on the Multisamples folder.

--kwgm
    Internalized Sun
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/03/31 12:39:20 (permalink)
    Hi Kurt,

Thank you for the input on how to fix the programs...
    The Rhodes thing was an easy fix... however the Grooves (rx2 files) does not seem to work.

I used the same method - that is clicked the sample text area and the Open dialog appears.
    Navigated to the rx2 files and selected the rx2 file - nothing happens - it does not load... so they seem to not work for some reason or I am using the wrong approach.

Any advice?
    Dennis P

Sonar Platinum
    kwgm
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/03/31 17:50:53 (permalink)
    Sorry, don't know -- never have used these "groove" files.

Perhaps you really don't have valid rex files? -- you'll have to use Windows and go see what's what.

--kwgm
    DaveClark
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/04/01 23:46:59 (permalink)
    Hi Dennis,

It still appears that your registry is messed up somehow. I was able to duplicate your RX2 problem by simply changing the value of the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Dimension Pro

(On edit --- previously had key instead of values below --- sorry!)

"Multisamples Folder"

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro

to:

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension

which is wrong for my installation. Earlier I had speculated that this was due to another installation you had made previously, but you said that you had no P5 nor Dimension. Did you ever do a demo?

After creating this erroneous key from the correct one, I could load RX2 from the file icon or button, but not by clicking into the element load area directly. I could even navigate with the internal DPro file browser, and this made it appear as though DPro knew where things were --- but it didn't. With Windows navigation (the file icon or file button), everything could be found and loaded.

Changing it back caused it to all work again. Again, it really does appear as though your registry and DPro don't agree on where things are and that this somehow occurred due to some earlier event.

Regards,
    Dave Clark

post edited by DaveClark - 2009/04/02 05:59:55
    dwcaldwell
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 234
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/04/02 00:39:56 (permalink)
    Check and see what the "Multisamples Folder" value is set to in the registry key that Dave mentioned.

I didn't see what operating system you are using. The registry key will be different in a 64bit OS than it is in a 32bit OS. If you can't find it, try searching the registry from the root for "Multisamples Folder".

Sonar 8PE, GA-EX58-UD5, Core i7 920, 6GB OCZ RAM, HIS HD4850 IceQ 4 TurboX 512MB, Zalman ZM1000-HP PSU, Vigor Monsoon III LT CPU Cooler, Cooler Master HAF, Vista Premium x64 SP1, XP Pro SP2, Echo AudioFire2, Yamaha MG124CX Analog Mixer, M-Audio Axiom 49
    Internalized Sun
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/04/02 01:29:54 (permalink)
    Hi guys,

I'm on Vista Home Premium 32bit - sorry about that

I have not run any previous installations of Dim Pro (I had Sonar 6 PE and jumped to Sonar 8 PE) - no demoes or anything...

Dimension Pro.dll has version 1.2.0.214 (came with Sonar 8 PE)
    Its size is 1.843.200 bytes

I have tried different registry settings, all of them within this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Dimension Pro

My settings that makes most of it work are (without the quotes):
    "Contents Folder": "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\"
    "Multisamples folder": "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\"

I have tried without the last back slash but it seems that Dim Pro handles that itself so no difference there. And Sonar WIKI also says they should be like this...

BUT I am running on a Danish version of Vista (OEM) and it has some strange translations of the system folders that may or may not work completely flawless...

Eg. When looking in the address bar I see this path:
    Boot (C) - Programmer - Cakewalk - Dimension Pro

When I click this address it translates correctly to:
    C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro

I'm thinking that this is normal and part of the new translation routine from Microsoft

Any help is appreciated!
    Dennis P

Sonar Platinum
    DaveClark
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/04/02 06:05:49 (permalink)
    Hi Dennis,

Thanks for more information.

I corrected my post above in which I put the key name instead of the values for some reason ??? --- sorry about that.

I do NOT have the trailing slash for *either* Contents or Multisamples. Did you try no slash for *BOTH* of the values, or just for Contents?

------------------

I've heard some scary things about character translations; hopefully that's not it, or it could be difficult to fix.

Regards,
    Dave Clark

Internalized Sun
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/04/02 09:34:56 (permalink)
    Hi Dave,

Yes I've tried "no slash" for both (I would think that logically they both should obey the same rule).

About character translations - oh yes - I'm a professional programmer, and I KNOW that character encodings are so much hassle - No one seems to acknowledge the standards and even Microsoft themselves seem to get it wrong internally some of the times.... so NO I do NOT hope that this is the case...

Just checked the rest of the registry - I did not find other entries that could somehow overwrite these values...

Above you refer to a "file icon or button"... now what is that? Please elaborate...

If you mean the same icon that you use to load .prog files with (just selecting .* all files instead), then that made no difference....

Thank you
    Dennis P

Sonar Platinum
    DaveClark
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/04/02 10:17:24 (permalink)
    Hi Dennis,

On the file "icon" or "button" I meant that thing on the left-hand side of that row of buttons where you can reset the program, open the vector thing (sorry, booted into Linux and cannot check the names nor button order!), etc. Also where you can alternatively load programs, as you said. It seems you know what I'm referring to.

On Contents and Multisamples working the same: Yes, as you say one should expect that, but you also know that is not necessarily the case. The program has default values for some of those key values, but perhaps not for all of them. Because you are seeing behavior that so far defies explanation, I question these assumptions --- as you yourself do I'm sure, in your programming troubleshooting.

Have you tried both DirectX and VST DPro? Or did they just supply one of these in SONAR?

Regards,
    Dave Clark

dwcaldwell
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 234
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/04/02 10:25:56 (permalink)
    Well, I'm stumped. I know nothing about your version of Windows. By strange translations, do you mean Vista Junction Points? I do not see any DP related files in my Vista Premium x64 C:\ProgramData folder (where junction points might come into play).

I don't think this affects multisample files, but have you tried pressing the "F5" key when focus is on the DP Program Browser window to refresh the program list?

Sonar 8PE, GA-EX58-UD5, Core i7 920, 6GB OCZ RAM, HIS HD4850 IceQ 4 TurboX 512MB, Zalman ZM1000-HP PSU, Vigor Monsoon III LT CPU Cooler, Cooler Master HAF, Vista Premium x64 SP1, XP Pro SP2, Echo AudioFire2, Yamaha MG124CX Analog Mixer, M-Audio Axiom 49
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/04/02 10:43:21 (permalink)
    Navigated to the rx2 files and selected the rx2 file - nothing happens - it does not load... so they seem to not work for some reason
    Just curious. What is the version number of your Rex Shared Library.dll? (There may be several instances of it on your system.)
    If the version(s) are something other than 1.5.4.0, have you tried removing and replacing the .dll(s) with the download from Propellerheads?
    Internalized Sun
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/04/02 13:04:40 (permalink)
    Now this is a bit freaky...

Your question: How many Rex Shared Library.dll files do I have?!

Answer: None

I can read from page at Propellerheads that it is needed for 3rd party programs to support the REX and REX2 formats...
    So WHY isn't it supplied by Cakewalk on the DVD or at least mentioned in the installation instructions?

Are you sure I really need that DLL - the Dimension Pro.dll could contain a static linked version of the Rex Shared Library.dll (not sure why that would be a good idea as this would remove the possibility of letting Propellerheads update independently)...

Thank you for your perseverance!
    Dennis P

Sonar Platinum
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/04/02 13:41:56 (permalink)
    Are you sure I really need that DLL - the Dimension Pro.dll could contain a static linked version of the Rex Shared Library.dll
    Good point; worthy of experimentation. I mentioned the Rex Shared Library.dll because of problems that various Cakewalk host apps (and other plugins) caused by providing another version, and/or overwriting the current one. Specifically, I had problems myself in this area with the RXP synth.

As a test just now, I renamed the Rex Shared Library.dll (version 1.5.4.0) in my Windows\System 32 folder [WinXP here]. After launching the Dimension Pro microhost (to guard against host intervention), I experienced the same results that you did. Load an .rx2 file from DimPro's Multisamples [72 - REX Drum Loops] folder, and nothing happened. After renaming the Rex Shared Library.dll file back correctly, everything loaded up just fine.
    kwgm
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/04/02 14:35:33 (permalink)
    Wow,

Sherlock Brock is on the job. I'm impressed!

--kwgm
    Internalized Sun
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/04/02 15:02:51 (permalink)
    Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!

Well installing the Rex Shared Library did the trick!

But why does it not say so in the installation instructions or the last minute read me file?
    The only references to REX support concerns Intel-enabled Macintosh or x64 systems... not your regular x86 boring PC...

Can you believe the hassle I've been through not knowing this?! (5 times re-install, 20 something times checking for ANY hints, hunting on the Internet for answers).

THANK YOU VERY MUCH - you just made my day!

The happy camper,
    Dennis P

Sonar Platinum
    Internalized Sun
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/04/02 15:05:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kwgm
    Wow,
    Sherlock Brock is on the job. I'm impressed!

Hi Kurt,

Yes so am I actually - edited the subject to prepend [SOLVED!] for all to see... dang!

/Dennis P

Sonar Platinum
    DaveClark
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/04/02 19:13:25 (permalink)
    Hi all,

Congrats to both b rock and Dennis for solving this problem.

There is still a big mystery here: How did the library end up missing? I never had to manually install any additional dll's for DPro to play rx2 files, and as far as I know, nobody else has had to do that.

The Rex file player in SONAR should not have worked for Dennis, including back in SONAR 6. Is that correct, Dennis, or did you never use it?

Although it's now working, I'm personally still mystified by how this came about. Has anyone else seen this? Do a lot of folks have this problem but don't know it? Did the update think that the lib was already installed or something like that?

More questions than answers for this problem.

It is VERY disconcerting that dll's could end up missing without the installation checking for that. Because Dennis is a programmer, I was actually going to suggest using depends or process explorer, but didn't because I thought that nothing would be learned. (Silly me!) Users should not have to do things like that, and we're not supposed to "reverse engineer."

Regards,
    Dave Clark

Internalized Sun
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/04/03 08:26:35 (permalink)
    Hi Dave,

I completely agree with your statement - it seems that the version of Dimesion Pro that comes with Sonar 8 PE just wasn't finalized the way a commercial product is expected to be (or that I at least would expect it to be - and whats with the programs out of tune - that's just sloppy - even the choirs (of males and females that are right next to each other) are almost half a note off - yes I did try to go 44.1Hz 16 bit with no luck

I still have the issue with the Rhodes thingy though - even though I can now pick the correct sfz file, it seems that when I save the program it never gets updated, so I have to do this every time I want to use that sound (even within the same Sonar project).... Not that it sounds that great, but it is kind of silly...

The funny thing about that one is that the program folder called Elements is empty?! So I wonder how Dimension Pro knows what programs should be in that folder...

Hmmm....

The Rex player from Sonar 6? Nope never used it - I'm really not that much into loops as I always end up playing everything my self ...

But I am digging into it as it could be a time saver when skecthing new songs

Sincerely,
    Dennis P

Sonar Platinum
    DaveClark
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/04/03 19:13:06 (permalink)
    Hi Dennis,

There are two Elements folders, one under "Dimension Pro" the other under "Dimension Pro\Programs"

Are both empty?

Both of mine have 26 files in there with extension .elem, and they're binary. I can PM you a list if you want.

Under "Dimension Pro" there is a file sfzlog.txt which may help under certain circumstances, but you may have seen that already.

Have you searched for a .prog on the disk? Just curious if it's being stored somewhere else other than "/dev/null".

Regards,
    Dave Clark

Internalized Sun
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/04/04 08:37:49 (permalink)
    Stupid me...
    There ARE 26 files in the ...\Dimension Pro\Programs\Elements but none in the ...\Dimension Pro\Elements

But it does not change the fact that I cannot save the program (or element since these are *.elem files?!)

I search the entire computer (all drives) for sfzlog.txt and only found 1 copy of it together with an old backup of Session Drummer 2 - none with Dimension Pro or any others.... not even anything else that resembles some sort of log file for this...

"/dev/null"... ha ha - you're a nerd (whoops I guess so am I )

Sonar Platinum
    DaveClark
    RE: Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2009/04/04 17:07:31 (permalink)
    Hi Dennis,

I just noticed that you are running Vista-32. I don't have but a few months experience with it, but I know that permissions are somewhat of a "problem," although it wouldn't have been if Microsoft had done the proper thing long ago ... Anyway, I'm wondering, particularly with the translation, if all this stuff is a result of permissions somehow. I would think it would have been more obvious, but with the translations, I suppose something weird like this with no notification could happen. Just a thought.

That log file should be in Dimension Pro. Although the extension is .txt, the one on this machine is actually binary. I have seen ASCII ones, though. I find that it is not overwritten on successful loads, however.

Best regards,
    Dave Clark

TStranger
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 83
    Re:[SOLVED!] Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2010/05/03 22:54:03 (permalink)
    Hey Guys,

Glad I am not the only one who has come upon this.  There are several Grooves in the Expansion Kits 1 - 10 for Dimension Pro, which are either only partially functional, or cannot find the .rx2 file necessary to support the program.  I am getting the "unable to find Multispample ________ .rx2" warning window when I try to load a Groove program in the Dimension Pro Explorer window.

However, I am finding it harder to solve this than simply downloading and installing the Propellerhead application http://www.propellerheads.se/download/index.cfm?fuseaction=get_article&article=rexsharedlibrary

I have downloaded this and run the application, and have a REX Loops directory on my hard drive.  But not dice

Can you help me out when you get a second on this one?
    I am running Windows 7 64 bit and the 64 bit version of Sonar 8.5 Producer with the Dimension Pro bundle.  I have all 10 Instrument DSF Kits  (perhaps the REX Loops are only 32 bit Sonar compatible???).

Thanks
    TS
    post edited by TStranger - 2010/05/03 22:57:47
    Internalized Sun
    Re:[SOLVED!] Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2010/05/04 13:36:33 (permalink)
    Hello stranger!

Your suspicion is correct - Propellerhead have not yet made a 64 bit compatible REX library - so no x64 Sonar yet - or maybe never... I would suspect that IF they do an x64 version it will be an upgraded version, which means loosing backwards compatibility - but I'm SURE that what ever version of Sonar that will be out afterwards will support it.

Sorry - but it's only possible to use the REX files with Sonar x86 and Dimension Pro x86.

/Peace out
    Dennis P

Sonar Platinum
    hevanw
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 80
    Re:[SOLVED!] Sonar 8 Pro Dimension Pro multisample not found... 2015/02/04 15:52:16 (permalink)
    I know this is a ridiculous bump, but basically am adding some info, if only to find it back myself later when googling for this problem again :).
    I Basically had the same problem wrt the Grooves in Expansion Pack 2 in Sonar X1. The PropellerHeads fix did not work for me (Windows 8 64b). However, I soon found out that the problem only exists in the Host application for Dim Pro and when hosted in Sonar itself, there was no issue. Looked into the Sonar executable directory and immediately found the REX Shared Library.dll file. The fix was then trivial: just copy this dll over into the Vstplugins/Dimension Pro folder.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1