Midi sustain problem

Author
bonster
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86
2009/03/25 14:36:21 (permalink)

Midi sustain problem

Hi there - I've searched high and low and am at a loss so hopefully someone here could kindly help me......

I am unable to achieve midi sustain in any of my vst instruments within Sonar 6. My sustain pedal and keyboard are both brand new (Proel and M-Audio 61es respectively).
When I depress the pedal before pressing a key and then press a key, there is no sound at all.

I have also download that MFX Diag plugin and pedal depresses don't register in ther, but I can see the LEFT hand midi light show in the bottom right of my sonar screen.

Have also checked that Options -> Global -> Midi -> Controllers is checked.

Additionally I have tried two other keyboards I own with a different pedal......same thing happens.

PLEASE someone out there in Sonar land, could you kindly help me out???

Many thanks
Bob

Bob Wijntjes - Auckland, New Zealand

http://www.catch22.org.nz

Sonar 6PE, UA-1000, Rode K2, Sampletank 2XL, EZDrummer, P4 3.0GHz ASUS, Dual 19" LCDs

4 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Midi sustain problem 2009/03/25 14:45:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bonster

Hi there - I've searched high and low and am at a loss so hopefully someone here could kindly help me......

I am unable to achieve midi sustain in any of my vst instruments within Sonar 6. My sustain pedal and keyboard are both brand new (Proel and M-Audio 61es respectively).
    When I depress the pedal before pressing a key and then press a key, there is no sound at all.

I have also download that MFX Diag plugin and pedal depresses don't register in ther, but I can see the LEFT hand midi light show in the bottom right of my sonar screen.

Have also checked that Options -> Global -> Midi -> Controllers is checked.

Additionally I have tried two other keyboards I own with a different pedal......same thing happens.

PLEASE someone out there in Sonar land, could you kindly help me out???

Many thanks
    Bob

Something is wrong... are note events being recieved and not pedal events or are no MIDI events being received ? Check the event view of the track after you record some and see if they are in there. Should be Controler 64 with a value of 256 for down and 0 for up.
    ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: Midi sustain problem 2009/03/25 15:31:10 (permalink)
    I thought it was 127 for down, o for up. Anyway, also check the underside of the pedal itself, and see if there isn't a polarity switch or some other kind of switch. (Some pedals have to have the up / down polarity reversed to work with different boards. Also, some pedals can me manually changed from toggle behavior (like for a patch advance or leslie on / off function) vs. a "must be held down" behavior (like a sus pedal).) Just saying to check it out in case that might be the situation here.

HTH,
    Ed

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Midi sustain problem 2009/03/25 15:50:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ed97643

I thought it was 127 for down, o for up. Anyway, also check the underside of the pedal itself, and see if there isn't a polarity switch or some other kind of switch. (Some pedals have to have the up / down polarity reversed to work with different boards. Also, some pedals can me manually changed from toggle behavior (like for a patch advance or leslie on / off function) vs. a "must be held down" behavior (like a sus pedal).) Just saying to check it out in case that might be the situation here.

HTH,
    Ed

Yeah... you might be right... it's been a while since I worked with MIDI, I think it is 127.
    bonster
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86
    RE: Midi sustain problem 2009/03/25 15:54:14 (permalink)
    Thanks guys....

I went into Key Bindings, and although CC64 was showing in the menu and was NOT bound to anything, I used the dropdown menu to change to some other random number (76 or something), and hey presto.....I have sustain - yaya!!!!

I'm so embarrased, this problem has plagued me for SOOOOO long.

Thanks for all your responses - I DO appreciate the helpfulness of everyone on here.

Kind regards
    Bob

Bob Wijntjes - Auckland, New Zealand

http://www.catch22.org.nz

Sonar 6PE, UA-1000, Rode K2, Sampletank 2XL, EZDrummer, P4 3.0GHz ASUS, Dual 19" LCDs
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1