Sustain pedal not working during record monitor but works when I listen back to the recorded track.

Author
mikedocy
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1157
2009/04/19 09:42:39 (permalink)

Sustain pedal not working during record monitor but works when I listen back to the recorded track.

I'm using Sonar 8.3.1. Using an old Roland JX-10 as the midi controller. I am inserting Dimension Pro from the "Insert Softsynth menu. My midi interface is the Presonus FireStudio using the built-in midi ports.
The JX-10 has a sustain pedal input which is where my pedal is plugged in.

1. During record monitor the sustain pedal does not seem to work. I can see the cc 64 messages in the piano roll during record. There is no sustain (heard) on the notes while the pedal is pressed or released. If I play back the previous recording the recorded sustain pedal plays back properly. All the places where I pushed the sustain pedal are now sustaining.

2. I just discovered something odd. If I hold in one of the JX-10 keys in forever (put a piece of tape on it to hold it down)
the sustain pedal does work during record monitor. If I release this and all other keys the sustain stops. It is almost like the last key-off is generating a sustain off.

Any Ideas? Seems to do this on all soft-synths, not only Dim Pro.
Thanks.

4 Replies Related Threads

ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: Sustain pedal not working during record monitor but works when I listen back to the re 2009/04/19 09:52:29 (permalink)
    Look at the bottom (underside) of your sus pedal. See if it has a switch. If it does, flip the switch and try it again. Different keyboard manufacturers have different ways of interfacing with sus pedals, and so some pedals have switches to be usable with different controler boards. Or try a different sus pedal. Or look in the options of your JX10 and see if there's an option of how it interfaces with the sus pedal. Might need to enable something on the JX itself.

Hope one of these ideas helps,
    Ed

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Sustain pedal not working during record monitor but works when I listen back to the re 2009/04/19 09:57:26 (permalink)
    Mike,

Go HERE and download the SustainFix MFX. Once properly installed it should fix your sustain pedal problems.

There are also some other interesting apps there.

Regards,
    Papa
    mikedocy
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1157
    RE: Sustain pedal not working during record monitor but works when I listen back to the re 2009/04/19 10:19:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: papa2004

Mike,

Go HERE and download the SustainFix MFX. Once properly installed it should fix your sustain pedal problems.

There are also some other interesting apps there.

Thank you very much Papa2004. Problem solved!

Here is the quote from said web page for anyone else that is interested.

"MFX SustainFix"
    "Some keyboards (like my old Kawai K1) send out an "All Notes Off" CC message when you lift your hands off the keyboard. Some software synths take this message as a command to turn all sound off, even if you're holding down the sustain pedal!"

papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Sustain pedal not working during record monitor but works when I listen back to the re 2009/04/19 10:23:39 (permalink)
    Glad to be of assistance. Another forum member (I believe it was Beagle, but I'm not sure) turned me on to that site and that specific app several years ago.

Regards,
    Papa
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1