New MOTU PCI-424 drivers - Great with Sonar

Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
2009/07/17 04:56:04
MOTU has finally released new drivers (1.6.9.2) for their PCI-424 based cards,

With this new driver, Sonar can now run in WASAPI mode with no problems. Also, these drivers are WaveRT and I can get down to 1.5 ms at 44.1 KHz with no problem in Vista 64 with no glitches - cool!

As a side note, these drivers also load properly with every boot, something the old ones didn't always do.

Best Sonar compatibility yet...
Frostysnake
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
RE: New MOTU PCI-424 drivers - Great with Sonar 2009/07/17 08:25:45
Hey..are these drivers for the 2408 MK3? I am at work and cant get on that site to see...if they are I am EXCITED!

David
whattarush
RE: New MOTU PCI-424 drivers - Great with Sonar 2009/07/17 10:05:28
Thanks Bill, I give these a try!!!

David, these are for the 2408 MK3, which is what I'm using!!!
Frostysnake
RE: New MOTU PCI-424 drivers - Great with Sonar 2009/07/17 10:59:07
Thanks! Can't wait to get home and try them!

David
sscannon
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
RE: New MOTU PCI-424 drivers - Great with Sonar 2009/07/17 14:02:14
Thanks for the heads up.
StudioCat
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
RE: New MOTU PCI-424 drivers - Great with Sonar 2009/07/18 05:24:36
In the Motu read me file it says to remove the PCI (PCIe in my case) card before installing the new driver...is that really necessary? I have a heavy rack mount PC and if I could bypass that step it would be great.
billruys
RE: New MOTU PCI-424 drivers - Great with Sonar 2009/07/19 01:18:06
ORIGINAL: StudioCat

In the Motu read me file it says to remove the PCI (PCIe in my case) card before installing the new driver...is that really necessary? I have a heavy rack mount PC and if I could bypass that step it would be great.

I followed the instructions and removed the card. As a side note, even after first removing the old Motu software, removing the card and installing the new drivers, then shutting down and installing the card again, I went to device manager and found the Wave driver was the old version. So I just right-clicked and chose to update the driver. It then found the new driver on my PC.

So if you install the new drivers, it would be worth going into device manager and checking that each MOTU component (there are 3) has the right driver. In my case, two did, but one didn't.
Chevalier DAour
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
RE: New MOTU PCI-424 drivers - Great with Sonar 2009/07/19 08:00:58
I went to device manager and found the Wave driver was the old version.

Same thing, but the culprit was the Audio Driver (old driver).

Then I choose to update the driver and now the new driver is installed.

Merci beaucoup, billruys !
StudioCat
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
RE: New MOTU PCI-424 drivers - Great with Sonar 2009/07/19 09:18:23
Yes, thanks billruys. I needed an excuse to install an eSata card anyway. Thanks for the heads up on checking the drivers after installation as well! -Perry-
billruys
RE: New MOTU PCI-424 drivers - Great with Sonar 2009/07/19 19:24:32
To date I am extremely pleased with the new MOTU drivers. Best performance I've ever had with Sonar. In fact, I like them so much, I even emailed MOTU and told them so. They emailed me back.

We spend so much time moaning to software/hardware vendors, I think it's good to take the time to praise them too :)

Hi Bill,

Thank you so much for writing and for the kinds words. We appreciate the feedback and your continued patronage and interest in MOTU. I've forwarded your message to our development team, who will very glad to receive your message!

Kind Regards,
Madeline
MOTU Customer Service

617 576 2760 [Weekdays 9am-6pm Eastern]
617 576 3609 fax
http://www.motu.com/registration - Product Registration
http://www.motu.com/techsupport - Online Support
http://www.motu.com/download - Latest Downloads

On Jul 17, 2009, at 5:21 AM, Bill Ruys wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Would you please pass on my sincere thanks to the driver development team. The new 64-bit Windows PCI-424 1.6.9.2 drivers have fixed all the niggling little problems I had.
>
> I have owned a MOTU 2408 Mk3 and 24I/O for a couple of years and used them with Sonar. While I have been very pleased with the units, I had occasional problems with the units not being detected at boot time in Vista x64.
>
> With the new drivers, this problem seems to be a thing of the past. I am also getting better than ever performance in Sonar.
>
> So thank you very much for the hard work.
>
> Best regards,
> Bill Ruys.

EDIT: The email address, if you want to shower them with accolades is: customerservice@motu.com. I believe one of the main reasons they upgraded this driver was for better Sonar compatibility. Nice to see the vendors working together like this!
post edited by billruys - 2009/07/19 19:36:44
Crg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
RE: New MOTU PCI-424 drivers - Great with Sonar 2009/07/19 22:18:53
I take it you're using Vista? The download site says they work for XP also but I'm not sure how WASAPI and WAVE RT impact XP. I tried to do a little research on WASAPI and Wave RT but I didn't find any references to XP.
billruys
RE: New MOTU PCI-424 drivers - Great with Sonar 2009/07/19 23:31:46
ORIGINAL: Crg

I take it you're using Vista? The download site says they work for XP also but I'm not sure how WASAPI and WAVE RT impact XP. I tried to do a little research on WASAPI and Wave RT but I didn't find any references to XP.

Correct, these are Vista-only technologies. FWIW, Now that Vista is at SP2, it's finally ready for prime-time DAW use. Nice new drivers from MOTU are the icing on the cake.
MarlboroMan23
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
RE: New MOTU PCI-424 drivers - Great with Sonar 2009/07/20 12:59:06

ORIGINAL: Crg

If you update yours post how it went. I'm still on 32bit XP and ASIO drivers and I have no problems. The read me file doesn't mention any improvements with the ASIO or WDM drivers or any other updates like being able to customize the names of the inputs and outputs in CueMix to something other than 1,2,3,...
Lay In Wait
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
RE: New MOTU PCI-424 drivers - Great with Sonar 2009/07/22 22:26:26
I also would like to know how these are working with XP 32bit.
Mahlon
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
RE: New MOTU PCI-424 drivers - Great with Sonar 2009/08/02 08:41:24
Hey, caught this thread a bit late. I'm having problems with Kontakt 3.5 crashing Sonar in Windows 7 64 (RC), so I thought I'd try the new MOTU drivers for tmy 2408 mk3 and see if that helps.

I uninstalled my old drivers, took the pci card out, re-installed the new drivers, put the pci card back in, but....
When I check the version number in the device manager, it's saying that I have version 1.6.8.0. Shouldn't is say 1.6.9.2?

I've tried right clicking and 'updating driver' in device manager, but Windows says that it detects the most up to date version already installed -- which it leaves at 1.6.8.0.

Should I perhaps re-install the drivers in vista compatibility mode? Or might there be something else I'm doing wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mahlon

Mahlon
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
RE: New MOTU PCI-424 drivers - Great with Sonar 2009/08/20 14:47:54
I still haven't been able to get the "update drivers" to work. In device manager, Windows is still saying that I have 1.6.8.0 installed for all three MOTU entries. When I right click to upate, windows says that I am currently using the most up to date driver?

1.6.8.0 is not the latest, right. It should be 1.6.9.2, correct?
Does any know where the driver would reside in Windows so I can point to the .inf manually?

Thanks,
Mahlon
shang
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
RE: New MOTU PCI-424 drivers - Great with Sonar 2010/01/03 20:40:21
This is probably too late in the game, but 1.6.8.0 is what mine show and I just installed the latest MOTU drivers after upgrading to Win 7 x64.  I never had a version 1.6.8.0 from MOTU so these must be the most current.

My question is, I can't get the Audio engine to run in WASAPI mode.  It works okay in ASIO, but I'm wondering am I missing something since you guys have it running so well in WASAPI?  The message is:
"Unable to open audio playback device.  Device may not support the current project's audio format or may be in use." 
I am running at 24bit 96K.  I tried disabling the device from within Windows Sound so that Windows wouldn't try and use it, but it went away for Sonar too.  When I tried WDM the latency shot way up.  Is this worth pursuing or should I just be satisfied with ASIO?