New Song: Black Lake (question about guitar string sqeaks)

Author
MarlboroMan23
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 776
2009/08/30 22:57:46 (permalink)

New Song: Black Lake (question about guitar string sqeaks)

On the song Black Lake
http://www.soundclick.com/opaquesounds
there are some squeaks from the guitar as the player slides his hand to reposition for different chords.  Are these squeaks too obvious?  Some say to micro edit then out and others say they're part of the performance and to leave them.  Any thoughts.

most authors of novels regarded as classics are dead, classic novels are, therefore, most likely to be written by dead people.

10 Replies Related Threads

gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:New Song: Black Lake (question about guitar string sqeaks) 2009/08/31 00:25:53 (permalink)
    Did not listen to the song, but as a general thought, and purely an opinion, guitar strings squeak. 'Specially new ones. Micro editing sounds dangerous, as in, how could you edit the sound without hurting the natural sound of the performance?
    Same with a bow on a violin, they squeak sometimes, there may be a little "breath" at the beginning of a horn or sax or flute note, a tick of a pick, etc.
    Again, just my opinion. I don't want to get to the point that music becomes "sterile". A mistake, squeak, flutter, it's only natural.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:New Song: Black Lake (question about guitar string sqeaks) 2009/08/31 08:28:48 (permalink)
    I took a listen...at least far enough into the song to hear the squeeks..... and here's my 2 cents.

They will hard to edit out..... since they are so "embedded" into the performance. They could be reduced in several ways. So here's a few options...as I see it.

1. cleaner playing technique. lift the fingers as opposed to sliding from one note to the next.

2. flat wound strings. they are smoother and don't have the ridges on them that cause the squeeks. Yeah I know the flats sound mellower....so take that into consideration.

3. Since you have it recorded..... try some editing.... you can zoom into the squeek...(it sounds like it's on the bass guitar to me..... ) and split the audio into a clip that is only the squeek.....be very precise.... then delete it...if that is too obvious...undo it and simply use process> reduce the levels by 3 db....repeat if necessary.... you can leave the squeek in the tune but reduce the level by a certain db level and make it less obvious.  Since there are not squeeks all over the music, it should not be too hard to do.... once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy and quick.

4. ignore it and simply play.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    alkie
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2706
    Re:New Song: Black Lake (question about guitar string sqeaks) 2009/08/31 08:31:27 (permalink)
    I`m off two frames of mind...i believe in leaving them in to make an acoustic sound more realistic and there`s a certain quality that`s added by the slides since i mainly work with MIDI. That being said this was on an Electric in your recording and to me it actually detracted from the song and sort off got annoying after the 6 or 7 slides. So i would personally re-record that section or change the chords/note so there`s not so much of a noticable slide to the next chord/note. Editing that out would be more painfull than re-recording it.
    post edited by alkie - 2009/08/31 08:32:29

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
    for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
    because he knows the time is short.....
    let him who hath understanding.....
    reckon the number of the beast.....
    for it is a human number...
    it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
    Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
    hairyjamie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 947
    Re:New Song: Black Lake (question about guitar string sqeaks) 2009/08/31 08:35:37 (permalink)
    Just a big +1 to what Guitarhacker said above really.

Try and isolate the sections with the string noise and lower the db a tad. You'll be surprised how effective this can be, although its a bit laborious.
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    Re:New Song: Black Lake (question about guitar string sqeaks) 2009/08/31 09:55:11 (permalink)
    I saw a video of an acoustic guitar being recorded in a studio and the producer/engineer guy sprayed some stuff on the fretboard to stop the squeeks. Can't remember what it was called, but it seemed to work pretty well.  
    Alegria
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2075
    Re:New Song: Black Lake (question about guitar string sqeaks) 2009/09/01 22:29:13 (permalink)
    Hi MalboroMan23,

Here I was expecting an acoustic guitar with heavy-gauge bronze strings. It does sound like an electric guitar, but then again it may be acoustic through a virtual amp etc. This is a problem I have to deal with all the time, and the best solution I found was with Izotope Rx. They do have a flash demo demonstrating its capabilities in such a context, "How to deal with finger squeaks". It's impressive.

Just another option for you to consider amongts some very good suggestions above.

Regards,
    jc

MarlboroMan23
    Re:New Song: Black Lake (question about guitar string sqeaks) 2009/09/01 23:41:15 (permalink)
    It's an electric guitar (some SG copy) through Line6 GearBox.  I'll have a go at some volume automation in the next few days a post an "anti-squeak" version for comparison.  Hopefully I won't need the guitarist to rerecord it.

This looks like the spray I need:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FingerEase/
    This is going to be new addition to the studio.

Thanks for the advice so far.

most authors of novels regarded as classics are dead, classic novels are, therefore, most likely to be written by dead people.
    MarlboroMan23
    Re:New Song: Black Lake (question about guitar string sqeaks) 2009/09/05 23:47:59 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice.  I went through and added the volume automation, I didn't realize there were so many of those squeaks.  In the future I will invest in the string spray to try to prevent it and a copy of Izotope Rx since it is certainly faster and possibly cleaner than volume automation.

The "de-squeaked" version is Black Lake 2.  Thanks in advance for any comments.

www.soundclick.com/opaquesounds

hairyjamie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 947
    Re:New Song: Black Lake (question about guitar string sqeaks) 2009/09/06 05:04:03 (permalink)
    Sounds better now mate, nowhere near as pronounced as before.
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:New Song: Black Lake (question about guitar string sqeaks) 2009/09/06 08:27:36 (permalink)
    Try spraying the strings with Finger Ease. Then record the guitar part over again.

The song is great by the way.

String Jammer
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1