Bug in UM-1G Sysex Messaging

Author
JuliaDee
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2009/10/20 20:22:34 (permalink)

Bug in UM-1G Sysex Messaging

I think I've found a bug in the UM-1G. I've emailed CakeWalk tech support about the issue but am posting here as well in case it will be helpful to other users. I'm using Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard). The UM-1G works fine in sending notes from keyboards, e-drums etc. to softsynths in the computer, but when I send a sysex message from the computer to devices on the bus, extra bytes of zero value are inexplicably interspersed with the message data. MIDI Monitor shows the correct data within the Mac, but a 'scope on the bus itself confirms what my receiving device is telling me - extra bytes are being added by the UM-1G. The problem occurs with "advanced" mode turned off (class-compliant) or on (CakeWalk special driver). I fired up another Mac running OS 10.5.7 and used my M-Audio MidiSport 1x1 with the same software and equipment - the sysex messages were sent and received correctly.

I also notice that the UM-1G sends out big fat pulses on the MIDI bus every few hundred milliseconds. I have no idea why it's doing that; the MidiSport certainly doesn't. I'd really rather it didn't.

7 Replies Related Threads

Samara Krugman
    SONAR REAC
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re:Bug in UM-1G Sysex Messaging 2009/10/21 16:02:51 (permalink)
    JuliaDee

I think I've found a bug in the UM-1G. I've emailed CakeWalk tech support about the issue but am posting here as well in case it will be helpful to other users. I'm using Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard). The UM-1G works fine in sending notes from keyboards, e-drums etc. to softsynths in the computer, but when I send a sysex message from the computer to devices on the bus, extra bytes of zero value are inexplicably interspersed with the message data. MIDI Monitor shows the correct data within the Mac, but a 'scope on the bus itself confirms what my receiving device is telling me - extra bytes are being added by the UM-1G. The problem occurs with "advanced" mode turned off (class-compliant) or on (CakeWalk special driver). I fired up another Mac running OS 10.5.7 and used my M-Audio MidiSport 1x1 with the same software and equipment - the sysex messages were sent and received correctly.

I also notice that the UM-1G sends out big fat pulses on the MIDI bus every few hundred milliseconds. I have no idea why it's doing that; the MidiSport certainly doesn't. I'd really rather it didn't.
    Hi JuliaDee,

That is odd. I'll follow up and see if we can reproduce here, and if it is indeed a bug I'll submit it on your behalf.

Cheers,

Samara Krugman
    Product Manager
    Cakewalk
    JuliaDee
    Re:Bug in UM-1G Sysex Messaging 2009/10/21 22:44:56 (permalink)
    Samara Krugman

JuliaDee

Hi JuliaDee,

That is odd. I'll follow up and see if we can reproduce here, and if it is indeed a bug I'll submit it on your behalf.

Cheers,
    Thanks, Samara.

The data being sent from my transmitting software (and confirmed with MIDI Monitor) is a simple 2-byte sysex file dump message to device# 01 with the data = 00 01:

F0 00 01 7A 01 07 02 00 02 00 00 01 7C F7

but the data put on the MIDI bus by the UM-1G as indicated by my receiving device and confirmed with an oscilloscope is

F0 00 01 7A 00 00 01 07 02 00 00 00 02 00 00 01 00 7C F7

Please let me know if I can provide any further info to help.
    Julia

JuliaDee
    Re:Bug in UM-1G Sysex Messaging 2009/10/21 22:47:47 (permalink)
    Samara Krugman

JuliaDee

Hi JuliaDee,

Cheers,
    Thanks, Samara.

The data being sent from my transmitting software (and confirmed with MIDI Monitor) is a simple 2-byte sysex file dump message to device# 01 with the data = 00 01:

F0 00 01 7A 01 07 02 00 02 00 00 01 7C F7

but the data put on the MIDI bus by the UM-1G as indicated by my receiving device and confirmed with an oscilloscope is

F0 00 01 7A 00 00 01 07 02 00 00 00 02 00 00 01 00 7C F7

Please let me know if I can provide any further info to help.
    Julia

Samara Krugman
    SONAR REAC
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re:Bug in UM-1G Sysex Messaging 2009/10/30 10:29:13 (permalink)
    Hi Julia,

We were able to reproduce your bug in house and have formally submitted it to Roland Japan for investigation.

Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Cheers,

Samara Krugman
    Product Manager
    Cakewalk
    geobrick
    • Total Posts : 32
    Re:Bug in UM-1G Sysex Messaging 2010/01/08 21:31:51 (permalink)
    I just bought a UM-2G for a Windows 7 based system and I rely on System Exclusive messages a lot.   

So.... was there ever an update on this issue? Should I expect the same behavior from a 2G on a Windows 7 (x64) machine?

sliwowitz
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Bug in UM-1G Sysex Messaging 2010/12/23 12:52:19 (permalink)
    Is there any update on this issue? I just bought an UM-1G and I'm hit with this bug - sysex fails because of added zeros and several bogus midi messages per second are coming out of the midi out port.
    AntC
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Bug in UM-1G Sysex Messaging 2011/02/15 22:20:59 (permalink)
    Hi,
    just wondering if there is still a problem? Does it effect the UM-3G as well? Has anyone daisy-chained 3 x 3Gs and noticed any sysex or timing problems? (Win7 x64, Sonar x1)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1