SOLVED:Registration code now required on an install that's already registered

Author
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
2009/11/20 21:52:03 (permalink)

SOLVED:Registration code now required on an install that's already registered

I have SONAR 8.5.1 installed (Both 32 and 64 bit) under VISTA Ultimate SP2

Its been perfectly stable ever since it was installed. No problems at all. Suddenly today I open up SONAR 64 bit and it opens up with the screen to input my registration code: I do as it says and enter the code then it tells me that it is an "invalid extension key. This evaluation will cease in 29 days"

So I close down SONAR; try again. Repeat loop, then reboot. Same loop. It seems I'm now in Evaluation Mode.

Open SONAR 32 bit no problems at all. It's fully registered and working as had been the 64 bit version.

Now they've both been installed side by side ever since I got 8.5.

What could effect the Registration status of one program and not the other?

I have UAC off permanently
So far I've tried:
    Running as administrator
    Rebooting - soft reset.
    Rebooting - hard reset.
    Check details on My Account at Cakewalk to make sure I'm typing in the right number. ALL OK and corresponds to my previous emails of serial and Rego details on purchase.
    Used cut and paste instead of typing in the number to eliminate typing errors.
    Reinstalling just the 8.5.1 patch for the x64 version.
    Sent request to Cakewalk Tech Support through the proper channel.

Any suggestions>

Tech support sent me an email containing my Serial number and Registration Code: They suggested I enter the Registration code (same details as I already have on file and used to install SONAR initially) as requested by the window that opens when SONAR x64 starts and contact them again if this doesn't solve the problem.
DUH! THIS IS THE PROBLEM TECH SUPPORT.

Sorry for shouting but its frustrating to have to fill out a form and then someone in front line Tech Support hasn't the comprehension skills to understand you.

post edited by mudgel - 2009/11/21 01:57:11

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.

11 Replies Related Threads

Audiomax
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 176
    Re:Registration code now required on install that's already been running for several month 2009/11/20 23:00:27 (permalink)
    "I do as it says and enter the code then it tells me that it is an "invalid extension key. This evaluation will cease in 29 days" 

It's clearly saying it's gone into demo mode, if it was already in demo mode you'd be getting a 'trial period expired message' so the correct version is installed....sorry, had to eliminate that one.

If it's a Sonar registration bug other reports would be coming through, and if you haven't changed your hardware to a significant degree recently then the only other thing I can think of is a corrupt registry entry which a re-install over top may fix.

If I had an image on backup I'd try that first and see how it went.

Strange one, hope you can get it sorted. 

AUDIOMAX

Equipment: Sonar Producer X64, Reaper 64Bit, 2 x Intel Quadcore Q6600, Kingston HyperX RAM, Windows XP X64 Pro, RME HDSPe PCIe cards, S8 Active Monitors, NI Guitar Rig 4, Garritan Steinway, UAD-1, Amplitube Fender, Behringer SRC2496, Controller keyboard, Korg NanoKontrol.

To mix inside the box you gotta think outside the square! 
    Fret Wizz
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    Re:Registration code now required on install that's already been running for several month 2009/11/20 23:12:53 (permalink)
    Are you sure it's actually SONAR that is asking for registration and not a VST or other plugin?

Fret Wizz
    SONAR  8.5 PE 64 bit : Win 7 Ultimate 64 BitEcho MIA
    mudgel
    Re:Registration code now required on install that's already been running for several month 2009/11/20 23:22:21 (permalink)
    It says I have 29 days left for evaluation. Evaluation Mode is the mode that SONAR enters after installing what appears to be a genuine copy but not entering the correct Registration Code or choosing to wait before entering it. Obviously I have the right version installed as it has been running flawlessly for 2 months side by side with its 32 bit counterpart.

Each version (ie 32 bit and 64 bit SONAR 8.5.1) uses exactly the same Serial Number and Registration key to install and validate the install and register it for full unlimited untimed usage.

I'm loathe to just resort to the big hammer of an image reinstall because while it might eliminate the symptom now, it may not stop the same circumstances from recurring which did cause it in the first place.
    I've had one Windows update overnight which may be the culprit but I'm yet to chase it down. Knowing that for sure will be more helpful. I'd rather find the cause if possible. I have 28 days left now. You never know Cakewalk Tech Support may offer me something next time that will actually be helpful.

Or maybe someone on the forum might have the answer to fix the problem.

Thanks for your input.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

Audiomax
    Re:Registration code now required on install that's already been running for several month 2009/11/20 23:41:50 (permalink)
    I don't allow updates on any of my machines, I'm very particular about what updates are installed so do it manually, and always backup beforehand. I would'nt be surprised if that turns out to be the problem.

AUDIOMAX

Equipment: Sonar Producer X64, Reaper 64Bit, 2 x Intel Quadcore Q6600, Kingston HyperX RAM, Windows XP X64 Pro, RME HDSPe PCIe cards, S8 Active Monitors, NI Guitar Rig 4, Garritan Steinway, UAD-1, Amplitube Fender, Behringer SRC2496, Controller keyboard, Korg NanoKontrol.

Fret Wizz
    Re:Registration code now required on install that's already been running for several month 2009/11/20 23:58:23 (permalink)
    I'm the same.
    No auto updates here..

Check in the registry mudgel.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Sonar Producer\8.5

See if your Product key and Serial number match those on your Cakewalk Registrations page.

"invalid extension key" sounds more Microsoft than Cakewalk.
    I've never seen a Cakewalk registration that refers to an "extension key". 

post edited by Fret Wizz - 2009/11/21 00:01:06

Fret Wizz
    mudgel
    Re:Registration code now required on install that's already been running for several month 2009/11/21 00:34:21 (permalink)
    Its a SONAR error message. It's saying that the Registration Key I've entered into the box will not extend the version past its evaluation period; hence "Invalid Extension Key". Had me confused for a while.

i'm narrowing it down as we speak but I guess the bigger issue it has highlighted to me is the absolutely pathetic first line tech response I received from Cakewalk.

I don't allow automatic updates of Windows to install either. I did this manually but the impact didn't show up until later; that is if it turns out to be this update. Still checking it out. In the meantime its the weekend now so I'll likely have fixed the problem by the time/ if Cakewalk ever get back to me with a 2nd response. I use so many different software vendors over the net and I've got to say Cakewalk by far are the worst for communication at any level. I reckon they're swamped if the newbie problems flood on this forum is any guide.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

Audiomax
    Re:Registration code now required on install that's already been running for several month 2009/11/21 00:48:28 (permalink)
    Good luck, sounds like you're on your own on this one.

AUDIOMAX

Amazed
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 459
    Re:Registration code now required on install that's already been running for several month 2009/11/21 00:58:52 (permalink)

Tech support sent me an email containing my Serial number and Registration Code: They suggested I enter the Registration code (same details as I already have on file and used to install SONAR initially) as requested by the window that opens when SONAR x64 starts and contact them again if this doesn't solve the problem.
    DUH! THIS IS THE PROBLEM TECH SUPPORT.

i'm narrowing it down as we speak but I guess the bigger issue it has highlighted to me is the absolutely pathetic first line tech response I received from Cakewalk.

Have you gotten back to them yet? What do they say now?  Just as a matter of interest .. what would you expect the appropriate 'first line tech response' to be?

Cheers.

mudgel
    Re:Registration code now required on install that's already been running for several month 2009/11/21 01:23:17 (permalink)
    I did get back to them but as its the weekend I don't expect to hear from them till next week.

I would have accepted a response like "We haven't had thos situation come up before can you give us more details regarding such and such. I gues I made the assumption that a tech support query would be answered by an expert not a novice.

Anyways after mucking around and wasting hours I just reinstalled the SONAR x64 version with my original options checked and it fixed it.

No doubt the Windows Update had some effect but I couldn't undo the SONAR problem by reversing the update or find a work around. Didn't want to do a restore. This only took a few minutes as I only reinstalled the SONAR program not any of the extras. All good so far.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

Fret Wizz
    Re:Registration code now required on install that's already been running for several month 2009/11/21 03:25:20 (permalink)
    That's a strange one.
    Bad news about Cakewalk's lack of support.

I have to say when I had issues trying to purchase
    the "Physical Media" after the fact, I was left with a
    similar impression.

Not a good sign at all.

post edited by Fret Wizz - 2009/11/21 03:32:15

Fret Wizz
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Registration code now required on install that's already been running for several month 2009/11/21 11:38:15 (permalink)
    I gues I made the assumption that a tech support query would be answered by an expert not a novice

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way in most support organizations.

The concept is that a novice can answer 80 percent of the questions that come in, leaving 20 percent for more experienced staff. So why pay for a room full of high-priced gurus when they're only needed 20% of the time? Instead, let the lower-paid novices have first crack at everything and have them escalate the tough calls up to the next level. Then, if the second-level support can't answer it, escalate it to another level, which in a small company like CW probably means a engineer.

Blame this scheme on the phone company, they're the ones who invented it.

No doubt the Windows Update had some effect

So if it was Microsoft that messed you up, why is CW the villain in this story? Put a photo of Bill Gates on the wall and throw something at it. That's what I do.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1