Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 Producer software help

Author
rocke
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2009/12/18 07:54:44 (permalink)

Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 Producer software help

I am new at everything here.  I want to get into computer recording and mastering what I record.
I have looked on the net and found several DAW programs, some seem like you need to spend lots of time and money to learn how to use them.  Cakewalk Sonar Producer 8.5  looks very powerful, but I have found training DVD's to help with the learning curve.
I have decided that it  will be 8.5 producer.  With that said,what are :
" VST "
" AU"
"TDM"
can I use any plug-in with 8.5
What are plug-in's that are called " native "
Do I need a Mastering software ( like Sony Sound Forge )
Thanks for any help
Rocke

7 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 Producer software help 2009/12/18 08:02:37 (permalink)
    Welcome!

I feel that answers to your questions would lead to a very long chain of new questions, so I recommend you go to

tweakheadz.com

There are excellent guides for a newbie about everything concerning home recording. The terminology and different instrument types are all described in language that a normal person can understand.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 Producer software help 2009/12/18 10:41:04 (permalink)
    " VST " " AU" "TDM" can I use any plug-in with 8.5 What are plug-in's that are called " native " Do I need a Mastering software ( like Sony Sound Forge )

VST, AU and TDM are different standards for communicating between DAWs and plugins. DX and RTAS are two others. In the SONAR world, you'll only care about VST and DX, as the others only apply to Macs and/or Pro Tools. DX is fading in popularity because it is Windows-only, so VST is far and away the most popular plugin interface specification. Note that none of them have any inherent advantage as far as sound quality.

A "native" plugin is one that does not require additional hardware to run. VST, DX, AU and RTAS are all (mostly) native plugins. TDM runs specifically on Digidesign DSP cards. Some products, such as the UAD2 stuff, run on specialized hardware but provide a standard VST plugin that takes care of the communication between the DAW and the non-native software. They look like standard VST plugins to you and to the DAW, but are actually non-native.

No, you do not need dedicated mastering software. You can do it all in SONAR. Sound Forge is a nice addition to one's toolbox for wave editing. (Although I'd encourage you to use Adobe Audition instead, simply because I have a dislike for Sony.)

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Peter J
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 424
    Re:Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 Producer software help 2009/12/18 21:31:34 (permalink)
    bitflipper

VST is far and away the most popular plugin interface specification. Note that none of them have any inherent advantage as far as sound quality.
    Hey bitflip, do you think the VST wrapper in 8.5.2 adds any overhead?  Presumably, the *only* advantage to DXi was no extra overhead from a wrapper.

-Phoen1x

the artist formerly known as Peter J

new music soon from Tightrope Fortune!

The *brand new* Phoen1xDAW:
    Core i5 3.3 GHz on Asus P8B75-M
    32 GB Mushkin Blackline RAM
    (2) Seagate 1 TB HD's
    1 GB nVidia Vid
    Win 7 Pro SP1
    SONAR X3!

My DAW is not cutting edge. It is middle-of-the-blade super bang for the buck! The BAM is in the RAM. ;-|

smoochy
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 629
    Re:Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 Producer software help 2009/12/18 22:13:47 (permalink)
    don't worry about this and that for now just start using the software... read your manuals and follow their tutorials.  as you get further into it you'll find all that stuff out.  i suggest reading sonar power for additional info.  sonar 8.5 has every thing you need to get going and to write, edit, and master.  you do not need any extras for now just get familiar with the actual program.  once you get all you can out of sonar's plugs(which has tonns) you can look into others such as the uad2.  if you really want a complete system that you won't need to add to many extras to i would also suggest the v-studio.  comes with everything...8.5 software, console, high quality i/o and lots of ad/da as well as a built in v synth module.
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 Producer software help 2009/12/18 22:32:25 (permalink)
    I have decided that it will be 8.5 producer. With that said,what are : " VST " " AU" "TDM" can I use any plug-in with 8.5 What are plug-in's that are called " native " Do I need a Mastering software ( like Sony Sound Forge ) Thanks for any help

VST is the only one you can use with sonar. VSt, VSTi, DX and DXi's are all for sonar and other window programs.
    No, you do NOT need a mastering software. You can do it all with sonar. I do...
    Native means it native to that program and only that program.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    Re:Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 Producer software help 2009/12/19 00:03:54 (permalink)
    Peter J

bitflipper

VST is far and away the most popular plugin interface specification. Note that none of them have any inherent advantage as far as sound quality.
    Hey bitflip, do you think the VST wrapper in 8.5.2 adds any overhead?  Presumably, the *only* advantage to DXi was no extra overhead from a wrapper.

There is no VST Wrapper in SONAR 8.5. VST is supported natively, just like DirectX.
    rocke
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 Producer software help 2009/12/20 21:26:44 (permalink)
    Thanks to all for the information.  This is all very new to me and I want to do it right .

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1