How to make EWQL Orchestra Free run on Sonar?

Author
rainmaker1011
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 652
2010/01/02 12:13:28 (permalink)

How to make EWQL Orchestra Free run on Sonar?

hi,
I downloaded the free edition of EWQL Orchestra but when I insert it as a soft-synth, I cannot access the Audio/Routing options in the Options menu of EWQL VST and thus it is producing no sound. However, I can use it as a stand-alone app without any problems. 
Is there any option in Sonar I should check to make it work?

thank you

post edited by rainmaker1011 - 2010/01/02 12:29:50

Best Regards,  
Marek

------------------------
  DAW: Sonar Platinum 64bit PE//C2D@3,0GHz//6GB 800MHz RAM//LCD 24'' Samsung //Focusrite Scarlett 8i6//Windows 10 Professional 64bit//Toontrack SD 2.4 x64//NI Scarbee Vintage Keys//NI Alicia's Keys//112db Redline Reverb//Voxengo plugins//EWQL Composer Cloud

17 Replies Related Threads

pdarg
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2265
    Re:How to make EWQL Orchestra Free run on Sonar? 2010/01/02 12:54:17 (permalink)
    I saw the other thread on this. I downloaded all three files, and carefully installed them. Then I auditioned the sounds . . .

Hmm . . . not very enticing. Some of the brass was good, but nothing to justify the hassle and disk space. My advice is to stick with Dimension Pro and forget about this "free" offer; it's not free since it takes up your time, and it also does not provide an auto-uninstall progam, so I had to manually delete the files.
    MrMook
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 589
    Re:How to make EWQL Orchestra Free run on Sonar? 2010/01/02 13:07:35 (permalink)
    Did you try this:

You will need to point/put the PLAY_vst.dll file into your host sequencer's VST Plugins folder, it will by default go to the following location:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\East West\VST plugins\Play_VST.dll

To access PLAY from your host sequencer, you must move that 'Play_VST.dll' file into your host sequencer's own VST plugins folder (these are usually located in your Program Files folder that house your host sequencer plugin).

For instance if you are using Sonar, you will most likely want to move the 'Play_VST.dll' file into:

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins

https://www.soundsonline....cle&kbarticleid=65

Dave- 

SONAR Platinum

Intel i7 4790 360 GHz , 32 GB RAM, SR-22, UA-25EX, Win 7 x64, Too many Vsts and Effects.
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:How to make EWQL Orchestra Free run on Sonar? 2010/01/02 13:27:58 (permalink)
    Thanks pdarg and MrMook,

I'm currently re-installing 64-bit EWQLSC (choirs) with Play

... and prefer not to mess around with unnecessary 32-bit EWQLSC stuff, the USB iLok mess (for me that makes laptop work a sarcastic joke), and the notoriously buggish long load times. 

Sorry SoundsOnLine.  I do aspire to get Gold though when you get rid of iLok nightmares ... and make EW Gold 64 bit.  Until then its DimPro and Miroslav Philharmonic for me.

DimPro (64bit?) has a 'nice' generic strings called "Stringskinda",

... and 32bit Miroslav Philharmonic (I paid $200) has its share of most excellent and lush strings (with quick access and no iLok nightmares).

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    wetdentist
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1129
    Re:How to make EWQL Orchestra Free run on Sonar? 2010/01/02 13:42:13 (permalink)
    yeah, i installed that stuff the other night, and once i understood how it all worked and sounded, quickly got rid of it

3.5 Ghz AMD 6-Core/16 gigs RAM, Roland Quad-Capture, Win 10, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Komplete 10, z3ta+, Z3TA+ 2, Rapture, Maschine 2.7 (MKI & Jam), Melodyne 4 Studio, Ozone 4, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2, Schecter Damien Elite, Fender Sonoran w/TronicalTune Plus installed, etc 
    go here to hear Wet Dentist (2000-2016 RIP)
    my new sounds: The Das Kaput

rainmaker1011
    Re:How to make EWQL Orchestra Free run on Sonar? 2010/01/02 15:50:57 (permalink)
    I heard those sounds and I like it, but when I insert that play_VST in Sonar, either I cannot set up the audio and MIDI setting in EWQL plugin window, or, as it happened today, I get an error message, something "Insufficient memory" or something like that, and EWQL wont load.

Just downloaded and tried Miroslav Philharmonic Demo - strings they sound really good.
    I am planning to switch to x64 environment, so will Miroslav Philharmonic work under Win7 64bit and Sonar x64 8.5 ?

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
      DAW: Sonar Platinum 64bit PE//C2D@3,0GHz//6GB 800MHz RAM//LCD 24'' Samsung //Focusrite Scarlett 8i6//Windows 10 Professional 64bit//Toontrack SD 2.4 x64//NI Scarbee Vintage Keys//NI Alicia's Keys//112db Redline Reverb//Voxengo plugins//EWQL Composer Cloud
    vintagevibe
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2446
    Re:How to make EWQL Orchestra Free run on Sonar? 2010/01/02 16:03:50 (permalink)
    pdarg

Hmm . . . not very enticing. Some of the brass was good, but nothing to justify the hassle and disk space. My advice is to stick with Dimension Pro and forget about this "free" offer; it's not free since it takes up your time, and it also does not provide an auto-uninstall progam, so I had to manually delete the files.

Dimension Pro orchestral instruments are toys compared to any paid version of EWQL.   There are no strings in Dim Pro that even compare to the FREE EWQL for real symphonic strings.

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:How to make EWQL Orchestra Free run on Sonar? 2010/01/02 16:17:54 (permalink)
    That's fine Vintagevibe,

But, I beg you not to get caught up with EWQL until you realize the vanity and vexation attached that comes with

1) iLok on laptops 
    2) ... transferring computers
    3) wait times and memory bugs with EWQL.

Rainmaker,

Philharmonic strings (no iLok!!!!) are godsend on my 2 win64/i7 computers (and don't even require jbridge).  Phil strings are exceedly reknowned and excellent to my ears (much better than DimPro's).

... I will never opt for EWQL orchestras.
    post edited by Philip - 2010/01/02 16:24:39

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Sickvision
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 841
    Re:How to make EWQL Orchestra Free run on Sonar? 2010/01/02 17:26:39 (permalink)
    ya but the concept behind the studi inst stings with the 3 vilos and bass, is great the sound are not bad better able to mix the strings via pian view andwith the visual abillity of 3 string inst in front of me>>""
    now if they would beef up the actuall audio sounds. and make it more interactive than dem pro with sounds we would have all the creative juice we need ??
    EWQL VST and thus it is producing no sound.

SONARX1-64 WIN 7-64 DELTA-1010lt 
    ASUS990 6 core with delta
    2ssd drives 16 gigs RAM
    BX5a monitorsYAMAHA 4416

http://soundcloud.com/american-metal/high-on-the-wire-pre
    Sickvision
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 841
    Re:How to make EWQL Orchestra Free run on Sonar? 2010/01/02 17:30:46 (permalink)
    piano view i ment with the instament window open you can see the differant strings as they roll together. great for playing along with , but real sounds are limited in there can you load dem pro or EWQL in to another host program, liked the libary i kept that part of EWQL  deleated the rest via uninstall great band sounds

SONARX1-64 WIN 7-64 DELTA-1010lt 
    ASUS990 6 core with delta
    2ssd drives 16 gigs RAM
    BX5a monitorsYAMAHA 4416

http://soundcloud.com/american-metal/high-on-the-wire-pre
    vintagevibe
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2446
    Re:How to make EWQL Orchestra Free run on Sonar? 2010/01/03 00:31:50 (permalink)
    Philip

That's fine Vintagevibe,

But, I beg you not to get caught up with EWQL until you realize the vanity and vexation attached that comes with

1) iLok on laptops 
    2) ... transferring computers
    3) wait times and memory bugs with EWQL.

Rainmaker,

Philharmonic strings (no iLok!!!!) are godsend on my 2 win64/i7 computers (and don't even require jbridge).  Phil strings are exceedly reknowned and excellent to my ears (much better than DimPro's).

... I will never opt for EWQL orchestras.

I have Miroslav Philharmonik.  It's nice but it is not in the same league as EWQL.  It's ancient sampling technology.  It has no key switching which makes it impossible to change articulations in Sibelius and a PITA in Sonar.   EWQL is on the level of what major film score are done with.  Philharmonik is not.  If you want strings for a Pop or Hip Hop tune Philharmonik will work fine.  If you need serious orchestration tools you need something like EWQL, VSL, or Symphobia etc...   All the top libraries use dongles.  I've used them with no problems.  Most people don't have problems with them.  I just ordered EWQL Platinum Plus because in I need serious symphonic orchestration tools.  I would love it if my Miroslav Philharmonik could do the job but it can't.

maikii
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 525
    Re:How to make EWQL Orchestra Free run on Sonar? 2010/01/03 03:17:47 (permalink)
    I didn't know there was a free version EWQL? Is it bad? Does it require Ilok?

In mentioning other orchetral packages here, don't forget Garritan Personal Orchestra, ver. 4, new and improved. only $150 new, or $50 upgrade from earlier version.

Much less expensive and resource-intensive than EWQL, and high quality.
    rainmaker1011
    Re:How to make EWQL Orchestra Free run on Sonar? 2010/01/03 09:46:26 (permalink)
    maikii

I didn't know there was a free version EWQL? Is it bad? Does it require Ilok?

In mentioning other orchetral packages here, don't forget Garritan Personal Orchestra, ver. 4, new and improved. only $150 new, or $50 upgrade from earlier version.

Much less expensive and resource-intensive than EWQL, and high quality.

http://www.soundsonline.com/free-orchestra

It is working for me in a stand-alone mode, but I cant make it run as a soft-synth. So far, no clue... :( 
    post edited by rainmaker1011 - 2010/01/03 09:48:28

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
    retired_account
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 262
    Re:How to make EWQL Orchestra Free run on Sonar? 2010/01/03 10:03:41 (permalink)
    I had it working fine in 8.5.2 however when I tried to export a track template it crashed Sonar & reported conflicts with Waves IRL. Tried it several times, removed IRL out of the project completley still with the same results, never had a problem with either Waves or saving track templates. Somethings buggy & I expect it's their 'play' engine or software. Maybe a Pace related problem (with Waves?)

The sounds are O.K. , not great but I uninstalled it since it's so iffy. Even GS3 doesn't cause crashing or problems like this with 8 ports loaded to the max with samples of vsl.

rainmaker1011
    Re:How to make EWQL Orchestra Free run on Sonar? 2010/01/03 10:49:52 (permalink)
    now I am listening to the samples of GPO 4. they sound really good, and the price is really low. and also it is designed for 64bit OS...

In the upcoming CM issue, there will be GPO 4 review. Will see what they say about it...

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
    RTGraham
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1824
    Re:How to make EWQL Orchestra Free run on Sonar? 2010/01/03 12:03:08 (permalink)
    Philip

That's fine Vintagevibe,

1) iLok on laptops 
    I'm curious what problems you have had with iLok on laptops.  I've been using an iLok with my laptop rig for a long time, with no problems to speak of.  The *only* issue I've ever had with the iLok has been that sometimes a software package that uses iLok installs an older iLok driver, and I have to manually reinstall the latest driver to restore functionality (see below for more details).  But the convenience of transportability to multiple systems, no need to re-authorize on reinstalls, etc., has been quite valuable so far.

ce1982

I had it working fine in 8.5.2 however when I tried to export a track template it crashed Sonar & reported conflicts with Waves IRL. Tried it several times, removed IRL out of the project completley still with the same results, never had a problem with either Waves or saving track templates. Somethings buggy & I expect it's their 'play' engine or software. Maybe a Pace related problem (with Waves?)
    Have you manually installed the latest iLok drivers (*after* installing the other software)?  Anytime I install anything that uses PACE or iLok (i.e. a Waves update, a Melodyne update, a Sonnox update, etc.), I finish the process by downloading the absolute latest iLok drivers from the iLok website and manually installing them.  So my install process is Update Product -> Reboot -> Update iLok -> Reboot -> Launch Software.

It adds a bit more time to the install process, but almost always ensures that the software will actually launch.  The reason I add this extra step is because I've found that quite often the iLok driver that's bundled with protected software is older than what I have on my system, and breaks the install.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Russell T. Graham
    Keys, Vocals, Songwriting, Production
    russell DOT graham AT rtgproductions DOT com
    www DOT myspace DOT com SLASH russelltgraham
    retired_account
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 262
    Re:How to make EWQL Orchestra Free run on Sonar? 2010/01/03 12:52:04 (permalink)
    RTGraham

ce1982

Have you manually installed the latest iLok drivers (*after* installing the other software)?  Anytime I install anything that uses PACE or iLok (i.e. a Waves update, a Melodyne update, a Sonnox update, etc.), I finish the process by downloading the absolute latest iLok drivers from the iLok website and manually installing them.  So my install process is Update Product -> Reboot -> Update iLok -> Reboot -> Launch Software.

It adds a bit more time to the install process, but almost always ensures that the software will actually launch.  The reason I add this extra step is because I've found that quite often the iLok driver that's bundled with protected software is older than what I have on my system, and breaks the install.
    iLok's latest drivers were installed. The software launched fine but crashed Sonar when trying to export a EWQL track/ folder template & associated it with Waves IRL. (samples/ impulses on internal storage drive) Never had a crash when exporting a track template/ folder before & why it's affected by Waves is a mystery.

post edited by ce1982 - 2010/01/03 12:53:17
    RTGraham
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1824
    Re:How to make EWQL Orchestra Free run on Sonar? 2010/01/06 11:07:18 (permalink)
    ce1982

RTGraham

ce1982

iLok's latest drivers were installed. The software launched fine but crashed Sonar when trying to export a EWQL track/ folder template & associated it with Waves IRL. (samples/ impulses on internal storage drive) Never had a crash when exporting a track template/ folder before & why it's affected by Waves is a mystery.

iLok's latest drivers were installed *MANUALLY* after a reboot?  Or they were installed as part of the EastWest installer?

If you haven't already (and your post makes me think perhaps you've already tried this), you should reinstall the EastWest, then reboot, then manually install the latest iLok driver.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Russell T. Graham
    Keys, Vocals, Songwriting, Production
    russell DOT graham AT rtgproductions DOT com
    www DOT myspace DOT com SLASH russelltgraham
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1