ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another person -

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
sgotr
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 151
2010/01/08 16:16:49 (permalink)

ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another person -

Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another person - like in a lot of the 3d software programs?
TIA

87 Replies Related Threads

nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/08 16:18:12 (permalink)
    This has been covered here many many times.

NO!

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    sgotr
    • Total Posts : 151
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/08 16:19:38 (permalink)
    OK Thanks
    Fret Wizz
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/08 17:50:03 (permalink)
    When you install SONAR you have to agree that you can't sell or transfer it in any way.

If you don't agree and accept, SONAR won't install.

Fret Wizz
    SONAR  8.5 PE 64 bit : Win 7 Ultimate 64 BitEcho MIA
    DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/08 18:21:16 (permalink)
    Actually I guess you could give them the serial number as long as you don't ALSO give them the software .... or vice a versa ....  Just give them the money to buy the software ...

-D

Jind
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 878
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/08 18:27:43 (permalink)
    I'm pretty sure that the answer actually is that you can give it to someone else, but they cannot register it in their name, thus they get no support, nor any upgrade capabilities.  I'm pretty sure someone from Cakewalk recently stated this in another thread.

Jind

Sonar X2 PE, Cakewalk V Studio 100; Intel i7 w/ 16 GB Ram, MS Windows 8.1
    PH68
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/11 06:50:22 (permalink)
    As long as the other person gets the serial number and the registration number they can use Sonar XX quite happily.
    If you have downloaded any updates, copy them onto a disk and the new owner can then install and use these as well (again as long as you give them the relevant serial/registration numbers)

The only thing they can't get acces to is any future software updates, or upgrade offers.
    Just make this clear in the sale info.

So, yes you could sell any version of Sonar (they do come up, and do sell, on eBay), as long as you don't tell Cakewalk themselves!
    Personally, I'd have no issue selling on my current version should I ever decide to upgrade.

~ Cakewalk ~ Arturia ~ Waves ~ Overloud ~ Windows ~
    edentowers
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1164
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/11 11:42:21 (permalink)
    PH68

As long as the other person gets the serial number and the registration number they can use Sonar XX quite happily.
    If you have downloaded any updates, copy them onto a disk and the new owner can then install and use these as well (again as long as you give them the relevant serial/registration numbers)

The only thing they can't get acces to is any future software updates, or upgrade offers.

So, yes you could sell any version of Sonar (they do come up, and do sell, on eBay), as long as you don't tell Cakewalk themselves!
    Personally, I'd have no issue selling on my current version should I ever decide to upgrade.

In what other ways do you recommend someone breaks the law? Are you an advocate of reckless driving? Do you think that carrying a knife is OK as long as it's in self defence? Is stealing from a large chain store OK because they make big profits?

So now you've told Cakewalk your point of view I wonder whether you'll still be eligible for any upgrades?
    post edited by edentowers - 2010/01/11 11:50:06

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
    bitSync
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 357
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/11 11:51:28 (permalink)
    PH68

So how do you feel about copyright on your music?  OK if I sell your stuff and keep the proceeds?

Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR Platinum x64 (latest) / Mackie d8b + D8Bridge x32 v1.1 = MCU DAW Controller / Frontier TranzPort DAW Controller / Studiocat 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 Mainboard, 2TB SATA3 SSD / NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT v341.95 / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / 24 bit at 44.1 / New Belgium 1554 / My Stuff

michaelna
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/11 12:09:41 (permalink)
    PH68

With your kind of logic then Cakewalk should charge the full price for each software update.  That is the only way to justify the fact that you can sell your old version. 
    Like, if I sell my old guitar should I be able to get a new one at a discounted price since I owned one before?
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/11 12:21:44 (permalink)
    So how do you feel about copyright on your music? OK if I sell your stuff and keep the proceeds?

LOL, Yea I bet he would not like it if the shoe was on the other foot......

Advocating piracy is against the TOS agreement.

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/11 16:54:47 (permalink)
    Do you think that carrying a knife is OK as long as it's in self defence?

Is that illegal where you live?

I am not an intellectual property lawyer:

btw "breaking the law" usually means contravention of criminal code. If you were to copy software illegally it would violate US copyright code, subjecting you to criminal penalties. There is some considerable uncertainty about whether protection of the software via a license that clearly usurps the doctrine of first sale (which is codified in the current copyright law and is effectively the right of the original purchaser of a copyrighted work to sell his copy of that work) would in any manner violate criminal law. It would violate the license terms, but that is a civil issue. At any rate, to encourage Cakewalk to continue their fair and valuable avoidance of copy protection schemes we should all try to play fair with their unconscionable license.
    garyyota
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 85
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/11 20:22:35 (permalink)
    PH68

wow. You  have just exiled yourself from the Sonar community.
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/11 21:54:21 (permalink)

Gee, I hope not. I've carried one for over twenty years. Kind of a silly example don't you think. Yes you can sell your copy of Sonar 8.5 but Cakewalk doesn't have to honor it. The license is not transferable.

Craig DuBuc
    doctorweir
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/11 22:24:49 (permalink)
    PH68

Serious? You are aware that upgrades require the previous version still to be in your posession, right? That's the point of the lower price... Effectively, if you upgrade you only own the right to use either the newest OR any of the old versions it is based on. Modern license management would normally even deactivate the serials of the preceeding versions.
    Anyway...

Comp: Sonar X1PE, AMD 1055T Hexacore @ 4 GHz, 8GB, Win7-64, Velociraptor 300GB (System), Caviar 640GB Black Ed (Data), SB X-Fi Fatality
    Hardware: Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Edirol M-16DX, Novation Remote Zero MK2, Waldorf Blofeld, E-Mu Morpheus, Novation Drumstation, and loads of other stuff..
    stratman70
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3044
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/11 22:49:50 (permalink)
    PH68

wow! You are certainly a moron! Theif comes to mind. I do hope CW see's this and gives you the boot! You do not belong on this forum pal!

mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/12 00:27:34 (permalink)
    The EULA makes it clear what Cakewalk's position is on resale of its software. They say that you shouldn't do it and that it is illegal to do so.

As far as selling it on eBay goes, Cakewalk actively check eBay software lisitings and actively pursue illegal resale of its software. It is also a condition of sale on eBay that you have the legal right to sell the goods you advertise and not break any other laws. The laws regarding copyright spring to mind.

Clearly anyone who tries to sell a piece of Cakewalk software on eBay is breaking several laws and the Terms of Service of 2 companies namely eBay and Cakewalk.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    SeveredVesper
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/12 00:43:33 (permalink)
    If you are looking for a loophole for installing it prior to your first installation, ask somewhere else for your own good and not to endager those who wish to help but couldn't spill a word because it isn't legally correct . If you are just asking yes or no, then i think the guys have answered your question.

Check out my band's song on YouTube!

SeveredVesper
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/12 00:44:48 (permalink)
    And speaking of resale, what if you bought a Sonar 8, then decided you don't need it after 2 years. How can you sell it again? Never?

Check out my band's song on YouTube!

edentowers
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1164
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/12 03:07:47 (permalink)
    slartabartfast

Yes, here in the UK it is. And here is the Government's set of rules.

Basic rules on knives

If you’re planning to buy or carry a knife, it’s important to know the rules. Anyone found breaking these laws can face up to four years in prison.
    These include:
    • it is illegal for any shop to sell a knife of any kind (including cutlery and kitchen knives) to anyone under the age of 18
    • it is a crime to carry a knife in public without good reason – for example, if you work as a chef
    • the maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is four years in prison and a fine of £5000
    • it is illegal to carry, buy or sell any type of knife banned by the government (the list of banned knives is below)
    • knives with folding blades, like Swiss Army knives, are not illegal as long as the blade is three inches long (7.62 cms) or less
    • if any knife is used in a threatening way (even a legal knife, such as a Swiss Army knife), it is regarded as an 'offensive weapon' by the law
    • any sharp instrument – even a screwdriver – can be viewed by the police as an illegal offensive weapon if you do not have a good reason for carrying it

Illegal knives

There is a complete ban on the sale of some knives, which are considered to be offensive weapons.
    These include:
    • flick knives - knives where the blade is hidden inside the handle and shoots out when a button is pressed; these are also called 'switchblades' or 'automatic knives'
    • butterfly knives - where the blade is hidden inside a handle that splits in two around it, like wings; the handles swing around the blade to open or close it
    • disguised knives - where the blade is hidden inside something like a belt buckle or fake mobile phone
    • gravity knives
    • sword-sticks
    • samurai swords
    • hand-claws
    • foot-claws
    • belt-buckle knives
    • push daggers
    • kubotan (cylindrical container, holding spikes)
    • shuriken (also known as 'death stars' or 'throwing stars')
    • kusari-gama (sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire)
    • kyoketsu-shoge (hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire)
    • kusari (weight attached to a rope, cord or wire)

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/12 03:21:58 (permalink)
    I know that this has been covered before in previously threads, but it is worth mentioning again here:

Other companies not only allow licence transfer, but readily provide the facility to transfer easily.  IK Multimedia charges a fee to the original owner.  Cakewalk could do the same if they wished to.  They choose not to, but why defend them for this?

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/12 03:43:40 (permalink)
    I think if you buy some software, and you end up not happy with it, since you cant return it, you should be able to transfer it to somebody else that might like it.

That being said, that is not the case with sonar.

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    ivanSC
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 325
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/12 05:15:53 (permalink)
    And of course the sort of attitude displayed by cake`s terms of Use is a large part of why there IS piracy.
    It is a two way street and frankly many software companies seem to assume that all their customers are out to rip them off.
    Trust is a two way street.
    Regardless of what software suppliers choose to put in their terms of use, there is always the morality of the situation to consider, and that too cuts both ways.

I dont like the way Cake do business in this respect, but choose to use their product in spite of that.
    Still doesnt make it right, especially since anyone can find and download  a cracked version of the latest Sonar with very little effort.

maybe they should consider treating the people who actually spend money with them a little bit nicer?

I bought 8.5 but downgraded to Studio from Producer due to cost and frankly doubt I will be back to give them any more money.
    And of course I can`t even recoup any of my investment fro Sonar 3 up to 8.5 if I wanted to.
    Too much paranoia at the Bakers house for me.
    Very disappointing. 
    garyyota
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 85
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/12 05:43:02 (permalink)
    ivanSC

And of course the sort of attitude displayed by cake`s terms of Use is a large part of why there IS piracy.

Wrong...

Cakewalk has taken a few precautions because of piracy- not the other way around. As long as their are attitudes around like what was shown by a couple people on this thread, IMO, Cakewalk is to be admired for not getting tighter...
    stratman70
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3044
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/12 08:27:15 (permalink)
    Kev999

I know that this has been covered before in previously threads, but it is worth mentioning again here:

Other companies not only allow licence transfer, but readily provide the facility to transfer easily.  IK Multimedia charges a fee to the original owner.  Cakewalk could do the same if they wished to.  They choose not to, but why defend them for this?

Well, I hope all of the cry babies get what will probably be the next step-PACE or something similar. Since some of you feel CW is wrong for having the easiest user friendly activation possible. Then I guess you'll all be happy.
    How sad for we honest folks. we will suffer. It is coming because of threads like this and the few cry babies!

worstcaseontario
    • Total Posts : 188
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/12 09:02:25 (permalink)
    legal or not i`m holding on to my knife. however, all my software is legit.
    InstrEd
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1276
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/12 09:35:13 (permalink)
    Well, I hope all of the cry babies get what will probably be the next step-PACE or something similar. Since some of you feel CW is wrong for having the easiest user friendly activation possible. Then I guess you'll all be happy. How sad for we honest folks. we will suffer. It is coming because of threads like this and the few cry babies!

+1,000 on this.
    I'm still with Cakewalk because of the straight forward easy activation method.  What gets me is how the people that pirate justify their actions.
    I'm in retail and the jerks we catch shoplifting do the same thing. They think they are entitled to have it. So what if I can't afford it.
    Hope Cakewalk can leave the same serial-activation number scheme in place.

Ed
    Amazed
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 459
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/12 10:40:15 (permalink)
    I'll at least try to stay on topic.

This is what I have just read. 

4. Ownership:
    The foregoing license gives you limited rights to use the Cakewalk Product. You do not become the
    owner of, and Cakewalk and its suppliers retain title to, the Cakewalk Product.

The term Cakewalk product is defined as the software so what is being granted is the right to use the software. I don't see where it says that that right is not transferable? I see that ownership of the product is retained but not the right to use it. I see that the right to use it is apparently limited but I don't see where it says exactly what those limitations are.

I just found this interesting. I have no problem with it either way.

Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/12 11:08:58 (permalink)
    The issue for me is not whether or not Cakewalk's policy is just or unjust, or whether or not it's fair to limit one's ability to transfer possession of the software to another person.

What never ceases to amaze me is the number of people who will purchase the license, install the software with full knowledge of the conditions of license and then either ask if they can legally do what they already know they can't or whine about how unfair the conditions of sale were and seek to find a loophole that will let them do what they want.

If you're not willing to accept the conditions of sale, don't enter into the contractual agreement.  Very simple, very clear - and no unnecessary wrangling.

PH68
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/12 11:33:44 (permalink)
    Look.
    If I was to upgrade my current version (Sonar 7) to Sonar 8.5
    I would then no longer have any use for Sonar 7.
    I would completely uninstall Sonar 7 from my computer.

Rather than it cluttering up my drawer, why not sell it on and let someone else make use of it.
    It might actually encourage someone new into Sonar.
    Cakewalk could oh-so-easliy let any user de-register a product, and then the new user re-register it.
    So if you have Sonar 8 installed, do any of you actually use Sonar 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6?
    If not why not let someone else make use of them?
    If the actual money is an issue, you could even give them away to a charity shop. Or is that illegal for some of you too?

If I buy a new car, my old one does not clutter up the driveway... it gets sold on so someone else can make use of it. I don't give any money from the sale to the car manufacturer, or am I banned from ever buying their products again.
    If I buy a new laptop, my old one does not clutter up the study... it gets sold on so someone else can make use of it. I don't give any money from the sale to the laptop manufacturer, or am I banned from ever buying their products again.
    And so on.

Someone mentioned music.
    So how many of you out their have ever bought 2nd hand albums/CD's/DVD's.?
    When you did, I assume you didn't give any money to the artist/composer etc.
    Or do you all give money to the manufacturer/artist/publisher/ everytime you buy something from the likes of eBay.

I am not about to copy any of my software and sell it on.

What I would like to do though is be able to sell on (give away?) any software I have uninstalled and no longer use.
    This is an age of recycling you know.
    post edited by PH68 - 2010/01/12 11:58:20

~ Cakewalk ~ Arturia ~ Waves ~ Overloud ~ Windows ~
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1