Sounds one note only, the rest are silent

Author
mbunkerusa
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 63
2010/01/26 12:12:45 (permalink)

Sounds one note only, the rest are silent

I have a new project with one MIDI track from a .MID file.  I inserted a single synth, TTS-1 which is automatically connected to the MIDI track and the laptop audio speakers.  When I play (spacebar), only one note plays and the indicator bar continues to travel across the page.

The track contains only note data so there is no trouble to be found there.  If I use the TruePiano synth I get the same effect.  If I use the Wavetable synth the whole track plays as expected.

A search turned up thousands of non-viable hits, so can someone get me on the right track here?
-Mike

Charles (Mike) Bunker, mbunkerusa@earthlink.net, Clearwater, FL
Sonar Platinum, Roland Integra-7, Overture 5. HP laptop 4 cores, Windows 10-64 bit, 8 GB memory, lotsa disk.

10 Replies Related Threads

edentowers
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1164
    Re:Sounds one note only, the rest are silent 2010/01/26 12:21:14 (permalink)
    Try running the split channel to tracks CAL program and then using the Tracks menu to assign all the new tracks to the TTS.

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
    mbunkerusa
    Re:Sounds one note only, the rest are silent 2010/01/26 12:30:27 (permalink)
    I'm sorry, but I don't know how to do that.  What I did should work right out of the box.
    -Mike

Sonar Platinum, Roland Integra-7, Overture 5. HP laptop 4 cores, Windows 10-64 bit, 8 GB memory, lotsa disk.
    edentowers
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1164
    Re:Sounds one note only, the rest are silent 2010/01/26 12:45:37 (permalink)
    Sorry I was just trying to help.

It will work out of the box if you set the output channel from your MIDI file to None.

If you run the CAL routine (select single track, press CTRL-F1, Select split notes to separate channels, choose first track you want the data to appear on) then select all the new tracks and use the Tracks Properties option to set all of them to point at the TTS.

Ultimately I would think you'll benefit from seeing the separate tracks, but who am I to know?

Phil

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
    mbunkerusa
    Re:Sounds one note only, the rest are silent 2010/01/27 21:14:11 (permalink)
    Nope, the track I have is one channel from a MIDI file.  It only has data from one channel, so there is only one track of data.
    - - - - -
    OK, here's more info:
    I finally got the TruePiano synth to play (starting at the 2nd note).

I inserted a simple instrument track for TruePiano.  With 5 tracks of data now, four of them muted, it would play one note on the one un-muted MIDI track, as before.

I soloed one TruePiano track and it would play haltingly skipping some notes here and there, and skipping the first note.  Then I unsoloed this track and it would not play any notes now.  I soloed two tracks and they played haltingly (skipping some notes).  Same thing if I soloed all tracks.

I cannot get the synth (TTS-1 or TruePiano) to play even the one note now if they are not soloed.  Then the soloed tracks play fine, skipping the first note, which is just the opposite of only playing the first note originally.

If I route the MIDI tracks to an external synthesizer they play fine but skip the first note and play the rest.  I had to insert a blank measure to fix that, which is dumb.  But that extra measure did not affect the soft synth problems.

Hasn't anyone ever had this problem?
    - - - - -
    An additional problem is that if I set the project to play the external synth or the soft synth, it doesn't remember this when I save, close, and reload the project.  All of the vertically expanded tracks are collapsed and the tracks all point to the wavetable synth when the project is reloaded.  It does remember the TruePiano synth that I was using, but the Synth Rack is not shown.  I’m not going to pursue that here but added it just in case it helps.
    -Mike
    post edited by mbunkerusa - 2010/01/27 21:17:16

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Sounds one note only, the rest are silent 2010/01/27 22:50:58 (permalink)
    Sounds like your computer or Sonar installation is all screwed up. What soundcard are you using? You may need to reinstall. Sonar 8.5.2 is solid as a rock.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:Sounds one note only, the rest are silent 2010/01/29 06:24:33 (permalink)
    This is a long shot and is somthing you may have already tried, but are you sure there is no message at the start of the midi file that sets a synth to monophonic? How are you checking that there is only note data in the midi file?

This has got to be something really simple, unless like Dave says its a corrupt instalation.

Have you sent Cake a copy of the project for analysis?

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    WDI
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2069
    Re:Sounds one note only, the rest are silent 2010/01/29 08:56:54 (permalink)
    mbunkerusa

I have a new project with one MIDI track from a .MID file.  I inserted a single synth, TTS-1 which is automatically connected to the MIDI track and the laptop audio speakers.  When I play (spacebar), only one note plays and the indicator bar continues to travel across the page.

The track contains only note data so there is no trouble to be found there.  If I use the TruePiano synth I get the same effect.  If I use the Wavetable synth the whole track plays as expected.

A search turned up thousands of non-viable hits, so can someone get me on the right track here?
    -Mike

All this is assuming there isn't a technical issue and that Sonar is set up correctly with your audio interface.

"If I use the Wavetable synth the whole track plays as expected."

It sounds like it could possibly be a routing issue. I'm still using Sonar 7 which does not have the instrument track. But basically the new instrument track is two tracks, an audio track and a midi track. To play a soft synth you need at least one audio track. To see what is going on try switching the instrument track to show both the audio track and the midi track. Unfortunately I can't tell you how to do this. The routing goes like this...

Midi track output is assigned to a soft synth.
    Audio track input is assigned to the soft synth.
    Audio track output is assigned to your audio interface (soundcard).

There's a little more to the routing, but that's it in its simplest form.

Here is an example using the TTS

If your routing is set up correctly you should be able to open the Piano Roll view for your midi track and hear sound as you drag the mouse along the vertical piano keys along the left hand side.

Another thing to check is what midi channel your midi notes are assigned to. It sounds like you imported a midi file so this definitely may be the problem also. With the TTS which is a multi-timbre soft synth, notes assigned to midi channel 1 plays the instrument assigned to the channel 1 of the TTS. Motes assigned to midi channel 2 play the instrument assigned to channel 2 of the TTS etc. To check what midi channel a note is assigned to use the Event Inspector. The Event Inspector is a toolbar so make sure it is shown by making sure the check box is selected under Views/Toolbars. To see which toolbar this one is toggle the check box and it should Show/Hide making it clear which on it is. Then in the Piano Roll use the Select tool (either select the button or use the short cut key S) and select your midi notes. Note the Even Inspector chn box to see what channel they are assigned to. If you select multiple midi notes at the same time that are assigned different midi channels the Event Inspector chn box will be blank. They should correspond to the channel on the TTS you’re trying to play. You can change midi note channel assignment by selecting the notes in Piano Roll view, selecting the notes and typing in the value in the Event Inspector chn text box.

The easiest way to insert a soft synth is by selecting Insert/Soft Synth and choosing the soft synth you want. Then make sure you choose similar options in the screen shot posted below...

Sonar 7 PE
    Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
    MSI K8N Neo4-F
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    2 GB PC 3200 Ram
    RME Fireface 800
    Edirol FA-66
    CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
    brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Sounds one note only, the rest are silent 2010/01/29 10:36:31 (permalink)
    What driver mode is the UA-101 using? I tried one of those interfaces, and could get MIDI Out to work properly in ASIO driver mode. It worked okay in WDM IIRC. I'm sure it works fine for some people in both modes or there would be a lot more posts around her about the problem, but I had trouble with it.

I would try two troubleshooting steps to determine whether itmight be an interface/driver problem:

1. Try whichever driver mode, ASIO or WDM, you are not currently using.

2. Disconnect the UA-101, set you PC soundcard as the output for the soft synth (preferably in WDM mode if it is supported, but MME is okay testing purposes), and see if that works.

Sorry if I'm repeating anyone, or missing information that renders this test pointless. I only skimmed the thread, and didn't see anything about drivers, which seems a likely culprit to me.

mbunkerusa
    Re:Sounds one note only, the rest are silent 2010/01/30 17:17:21 (permalink)
    WDI, your post was the most sensible and informative yet.  I'm not sure why, bit the two-track view is working for me now for the soft synth.  I can now switch between hardware and soft synths without problem, but for the life of me I don't know why.  It acts like Sonar righted something between computer shutdowns.

Anyway, thanks especially for the tutorial on the event inspector and the soft synth setup.  And thanks everybody else who contributed.  Now I have this test project to refer to if I get into trouble again.
    -Mike

Iron Horse Audio Works
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Sounds one note only, the rest are silent 2011/11/13 21:14:30 (permalink)
    I was just having a problem similar to this.. i ended up going into the Preferences window, selecting "MIDI Playback and Recording" section and increasing the Playback buffering from 250 millisecond to 500 millisecond..

I also included the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth and my Digidesign Mbox 2 Pro as my MIDI output devices

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1