Do I need Maschine if I already have Sonar, Kontakt and a controller

Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
2010/02/22 21:11:08
In my home studio set-up I will be using Sonar 8.5, Kontakt4 plus a A-PRO keyboard controller.  Will all this gear, software and Sonar be all that I need to make some great music without having to add Maschine to the arsenal?   Someone posed a question about Kontakt and Sonar, but what about Maschine?  But since I'll be using Sonar,  Kontakt and an A-PRO controller, won't that be like the same thing?  Since Maschine has its own sequencing software, gigabytes of samples and pads that light up like the new A-PRO drum pads.
cryophonik
Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
Re:Do I need Maschine if I already have Sonar, Kontakt and a controller 2010/02/22 21:45:29
Yes.  Everybody needs a Maschine.  Resistance is futile.

OK, so maybe that's a little bit of an overstatement, but I love my Maschine.  The integration it offers between hardware, software, and DAW is unrivaled.  Dedicated controls for everything powerful sequencing and sampling/sample editing, FX, huge library, etc.  I highly recommend watching the videos on the NI site, browsing their forum to see how excellent their customer service for Maschine has been, etc.

Then, go buy one.  :P
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
Re:Do I need Maschine if I already have Sonar, Kontakt and a controller 2010/02/22 22:06:35
syntheticpop

In my home studio set-up I will be using Sonar 8.5, Kontakt4 plus a A-PRO keyboard controller.  Will all this gear, software and Sonar be all that I need to make some great music without having to add Maschine to the arsenal?   Someone posed a question about Kontakt and Sonar, but what about Maschine?  But since I'll be using Sonar,  Kontakt and an A-PRO controller, won't that be like the same thing?  Since Maschine has its own sequencing software, gigabytes of samples and pads that light up like the new A-PRO drum pads.

I love Maschine too.  Understand that it's a completely different animal in the sense that it's a "unit".   It has pads.  It has some functionality specific to it's approach.
It's more than a beat box of course, and more than a plugin. 

It also comes with some very awesome sounds.

You could, however, do much of the same with a combination of other controller (preferably with pads) and good samples, though.   It's just that Maschine kind of puts it all together.

It works well with Sonar, btw.

bapu
Re:Do I need Maschine if I already have Sonar, Kontakt and a controller 2010/02/22 22:10:31
OMG something else I need to buy else I won't be able to make music?
ba_midi
Re:Do I need Maschine if I already have Sonar, Kontakt and a controller 2010/02/22 22:37:53
bapu

Heh, it's just another tool in the arsenal really.   Some people can make music with tin cans too, though ;)

bapu
Re:Do I need Maschine if I already have Sonar, Kontakt and a controller 2010/02/22 22:51:51
ba_midi

bapu

Heh, it's just another tool in the arsenal really.   Some people can make music with tin cans too, though ;)

So you've heard my bass playing in The Coffee House Band then?

syntheticpop
Re:Do I need Maschine if I already have Sonar, Kontakt and a controller 2010/02/23 00:40:19
this all sounds great but why all the bad comments on this site? 
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/03/22/hands-on-with-ni-maschine/

so would Maschine coupled with Sonar be a good music production tool for the studio or is Maschine better off as a performance, dj based groove box?

ba_midi
Re:Do I need Maschine if I already have Sonar, Kontakt and a controller 2010/02/23 00:50:42
syntheticpop

this all sounds great but why all the bad comments on this site? 
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/03/22/hands-on-with-ni-maschine/

so would Maschine coupled with Sonar be a good music production tool for the studio or is Maschine better off as a performance, dj based groove box?

I find it interesting there are those comments.  I know a bunch of people who own/use Maschine and NONE of those issues (but most are NOT using Cubase either lol).

I dunno - it's been very stable for me (and many others).   And as for your main question - it's all the above (production tool, Live tool, DJ tool, etc).

And it's been updated and continues to be.   I think it's one of the better products out there, frankly.

syntheticpop
Re:Do I need Maschine if I already have Sonar, Kontakt and a controller 2010/02/24 14:47:25
if Maschine didn't exist, would you guys be able to do what you do in Maschine with Sonar, the software and gear I listed above?  or is Maschine really that special?

how far a long has the software been improved since its release.  a lot of the complaints derived from earlier versions of the software coupled with Cubase from my understanding.  Do you guys recommend using it or just using Sonar and Maschine?

so is Maschine better to play with one hand or both hands similar to actual drumming?  this will help with my placement of Maschine on my workstation.  it can either be in front of me or off to the side.
ba_midi
Re:Do I need Maschine if I already have Sonar, Kontakt and a controller 2010/02/24 15:05:42
syntheticpop

if Maschine didn't exist, would you guys be able to do what you do in Maschine with Sonar, the software and gear I listed above?  or is Maschine really that special?

how far a long has the software been improved since its release.  a lot of the complaints derived from earlier versions of the software coupled with Cubase from my understanding.  Do you guys recommend using it or just using Sonar and Maschine?

so is Maschine better to play with one hand or both hands similar to actual drumming?  this will help with my placement of Maschine on my workstation.  it can either be in front of me or off to the side.

From my perspective, one can do many things many ways these days.  You could use Battery3 for example, and get pretty much what you want with the right samples.   So is Maschine "necessary"?  That's debatable.  But is it ALSO a great tool/instrument/device?  Yes.
e.Blue
Re:Do I need Maschine if I already have Sonar, Kontakt and a controller 2010/02/24 15:55:47
ba_midi

syntheticpop

From my perspective, one can do many things many ways these days.  You could use Battery3 for example, and get pretty much what you want with the right samples.   So is Maschine "necessary"?  That's debatable.  But is it ALSO a great tool/instrument/device?  Yes.

I recently sold my AKAI MPC to pick up Maschine. With most modern controllers, including Maschine, you can play one part at a time or play multiple parts. Its basically about what you're most comfortable with. 

Maschine was created targeted at a specific market of which I happened to be a part of. Folks that like the rapid-fire beat creation style of working with 4x4 drum pads using built-in pattern sequencers, but who also want to easily integrate these beats into their DAW environment. Prior to getting Maschine, I spent a lot of time trying to integrate the MPC into SONAR using Battery 3 to attempt to do just some of what the Maschine software does right out of the box. Now I no longer have to do the extra steps of transferring beats from the MPC using MIDI Sync or configuring kits in Battery. 

As far as layout goes, I decided to place my Maschine right next to my mouse pad. Since its relatively light and only has one USB connection (unless you need to use the MIDI ports), you have a lot of flexibility in where you can place it...you can even pick it up and put it in your lap.

The beauty of Maschine is its elegant integration of hardware & software. Its basically an AKAI MPC with all of the MPC's limitations replaced by a really nice software interface. I would have to say that if you've never used an MPC, then you may or may not be able to appreciate the style of beat creation that Maschine provides. Because of that I would recommend that if you buy one that you get it from somewhere with a decent return policy. There are also quite a few in-depth Maschine tutorial videos up on NI's website that might help you with your decision.

-eB
cryophonik
Re:Do I need Maschine if I already have Sonar, Kontakt and a controller 2010/02/24 16:17:35
syntheticpop

Maschine has had a few major updates and the public beta of the long-awaited OS1.5 is expected this weekend/early next week.  It will add a bunch of new features:

• Performance page with eight assignable "Macro Controls" per Group
  • Host Automation support
  • Support for MIDI Continuous Controller and Pitchbend
  • MPC program import (500/1000/2000(XL)/2500/3000/4000 models)
  • "Consolidate Audio" copies all project-related files into one folder
  • Enhanced slicing with editable markers and new "split" mode
  • Destructive audio editing with trim, normalize, copy/paste, fade etc.
  • New "Project default" preferences including project template
  • New "vintage sound" MPC 60 and SP1200 emulation modes
  • 16 Velocity Levels mode for controller
  • New effect algorithm: Grain Stretch
  • New "Add to Sample Map" function in browser
  • New "Copy Sound without Note Events" option
  • Adjustable polyphony limit per Sound
  • "Direct Monitor" option in sampling mode
  • MIDI export for patterns, including Drag and Drop to host
  • Improved event editing via controller
  • Improved waveform navigation via controller
  • Various other enhancements
So, to answer your question, yes NI is doing a very good job of developing this instrument.  A lot of people felt that Maschine was released too early, used the consumer as a beta tester, etc., and maybe justifiably so (the lack of MIDI export to host is a huge oversight IMO), but NI is continuing to develop it, add major improvements, more content (OS1.5 will add ~1GB of new samples) and they are doing a great job of communicating on their forums.  But, it has been ultra-stable for me and is a very intuitive instrument.

As mentioned, I really think you should take the time to watch the videos if you haven't already.  They give you a very good idea of what to expect if you decide to buy one.
ba_midi
Re:Do I need Maschine if I already have Sonar, Kontakt and a controller 2010/02/24 16:49:02
A lot of people felt that Maschine was released too early, used the consumer as a beta tester, etc.,

HEH, that can be said about EVERY piece of software out here - including Windblows ;)

cryophonik
Re:Do I need Maschine if I already have Sonar, Kontakt and a controller 2010/03/01 16:34:12
Just a heads-up for Maschine owners: the OS1.5 public beta is now available.
MJames4208
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
Re:Do I need Maschine if I already have Sonar, Kontakt and a controller 2010/03/01 18:03:21
post edited by MJames4208 - 2010/04/18 17:48:38