Drawing Automation..

Author
djjhart@aol.com
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2189
2010/04/13 15:59:33 (permalink)

Drawing Automation..

I must be missing something there must be an easy way just to write a straight line of automation , The freehand tool well I cant keep it steady , working with those nodes is just time consuming and just sucks. I really hope I missing something here.. 

Computer - Intel Q9550, Intel BX48bt2 MB, W8 64 bit. 8 gb Ram, SSD  
Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.
 http://soundcloud.com/johnhartson/tracks  
 http://www.youtube.com/user/jhart1313 

23 Replies Related Threads

ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/13 16:20:18 (permalink)
    djjhart@aol.com

I must be missing something there must be an easy way just to write a straight line of automation , The freehand tool well I cant keep it steady , working with those nodes is just time consuming and just sucks. I really hope I missing something here.. 

THere's some really good info on this in the Sonar Reference Guide which is in PDF format online in the Support area of cakewalk.com.

You can create straight line automation by adding a node, right clicking it, selecting "linear" and the adding another node or dragging the node you created already.

There are other tricks too - using "shapes", for example.

I keep a copy of the reference guide right on my DAW's desktop.   I recommend everyone do so.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    djjhart@aol.com
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/13 21:27:18 (permalink)
    thats how I create them now, it takes for ever,Im looking for a simple tool just make a straight line , Im going to check out the reference guide right now thanks..

Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
    Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.

lorneyb2
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1667
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/14 01:41:47 (permalink)
    A method I use for creating straight line is, with envelope tool active, select time line I'm working on, right click envelope, insert nodes at selection, drag down to where I want my final point to be and then delete the dragged left node (or right node) for gradual decrease.  Can then select for slow or fast curve.
    evansmalley
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 715
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/14 08:53:00 (permalink)
    when you select the track (click on track #) and press "v"- it will create a straight line envelope across the entire length of the track. Nothin but straight line... is THAT what you want?

Then you can draw curves freehand with "e" and "alt", or do nodes, or draw curves in real-time using a control surface fader. You can also "alt+enter" and enter a clip volume which will essentially "straight-line" a volume change across the entire clip, if that helps.

HTH-
    Ev
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/14 09:01:46 (permalink)
    A control surface is the best way to create automation.

Best
    John
    papa2005
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3250
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/14 09:20:56 (permalink)
    John

How is it any better than using Console View and adjusting faders (other than the fact that your mouse is involved)? I'm truly curious. I've been contemplating adding a control surface but I already have an external mixer and other outboard gear along with two 48-point patchbays that allows me a lot of flexibility.

Regards,
    Papa

CLICK HERE for a link to support for SONAR 8.5

CLICK HERE to view a list of video tutorials...

CLICK HERE for a link to Getting Started with Session Drummer 3...
    papa2005
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/14 09:30:37 (permalink)
    evansmalley

when you select the track (click on track #) and press "v"- it will create a straight line envelope across the entire length of the track. Nothin but straight line... is THAT what you want?

Then you can draw curves freehand with "e" and "alt", or do nodes, or draw curves in real-time using a control surface fader. You can also "alt+enter" and enter a clip volume which will essentially "straight-line" a volume change across the entire clip, if that helps.

HTH-
    Ev

Just tried your suggestion...Nothing suggested works like you say it should...Where did you find that "info"?

Regards,
    Papa

evansmalley
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/14 10:02:36 (permalink)
    hey Papa- call me if ya want about it

should work- does for me
    post edited by evansmalley - 2010/04/14 15:34:44
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/14 10:13:40 (permalink)
    papa2005

John

How is it any better than using Console View and adjusting faders (other than the fact that your mouse is involved)? I'm truly curious. I've been contemplating adding a control surface but I already have an external mixer and other outboard gear along with two 48-point patchbays that allows me a lot of flexibility.

For one thing with a mouse you can only work with one channel at a time. Then as a CS is there awaiting use its so easy to touch a fader or more and adjust parameter(s) at will. To me writing automation with a mouse is the most tedious aspect of working with a DAW. A CS gets that done with no trouble or hard work at all.  Its expans the power one has in ways its hard to explain. Its exponentially more powerful then a mouse.

Its like using a mouse to input notes in the PRV or a MIDI keyboard. The keyboard is far and away a better choice. The mouse can then be use to edit what has been done. That makes it all far easier.

Best
    John
    papa2005
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/14 10:27:12 (permalink)
    John,

I agree it might be "simpler" (I grew up--studiowise--using large format mixing desks) and that's why I've been considering adding one...Was just curious why you stated it is "best" instead of "more productive"...In my studio, most of the tracks I record are somewhere in the vicinity of where they'll wind up in the final mix...I've become accustomed to "mousing" a tweak here and there (as I usually start pre-mixing once the basic rhythm tracks are laid down)...

Regards,
    Papa

John
    Forum Host
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/14 10:53:46 (permalink)
    Papa I know what you mean. I think we all do a little of that. Sort of premixing. Again that is also ideal for a CS. A good CS is an asset not a liability. That sort of thing is more likely to occur because its so simple to do it with a CS. Its natural too.

Also one thing I believe is that when the automation is not right but not that bad we may be reluctant to redo it because its not fun to redo. With a CS no problem. Speed is also a factor. No way a mouse can compete with a CS in speed of work done.

As a song scrolls we can work on any track at any time or all tracks that need attention with a CS. Nothing is more simple or easy to do. Doing that with a mouse is near impossible.

Best
    John
    papa2005
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/14 11:01:58 (permalink)
    Point taken (and appreciated)...I've considered adding a CS for awhile but I've become so "set in my ways" (I'm an old geezer) I just don't know if it's worth the cost to purchase a quality device (no Behringers or stuff like that)...

Regards,
    Papa

John
    Forum Host
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/14 11:08:54 (permalink)
    I'm an old "geezer" too well I don't think old though. I do agree a quality CS is the way to go. One that is not tied to any DAW. If you could borrow one and try it out, get use to it. I think you will wonder why you haven't done this a long time ago.

But there are more ways to skin a Sonar then any one can say. Mice work too.

Best
    John
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/14 11:19:11 (permalink)
    After a lengthy session drawing in a complicated envelope with the mouse, I think it's time I looked at investing in a decent CS.

I can fully see the benefit now (this wasn't apparent to me before), but having the ability to draw in smoooth curves at the outset, rather than the jerky, clunky result you get with using a mouse (and ignoring the real potential of upper limb disorder) has convinced me this is the way to go.

How do these units communicate with SONAR? MIDI? USB? Firewire?

I have'nt done any investigating yet, just wondered what you guys are using.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/14 11:34:11 (permalink)
    Bristol I have an Mackie Control the original. It use MIDI via MIDI cables to connect to a DAW.  The new MCU Pro has USB built in but also has MIDI ports. Most CSs use MIDI to communicate with a DAW.

Not all CSs are created equal. The MC for example uses a 14 bit block of MIDI data to actvate the faders both on the CV and on the MC itself.  This gives it very high resolution and fine control. The buttons are simple note MIDI events that don't need a lot of data to work.

The MC was/is well designed and has now been around a long time. Not because its cheap but because it does what it says it does well. Most other CSs have an MC emulation mode in order to be compatible with the greatest number of DAWs. That alone should be a reason to get the real thing.

Best
    John
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/14 11:36:26 (permalink)
    Thanks John.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    evansmalley
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/14 11:51:21 (permalink)
    hey Papa-

you might have to bind "v" = "add envelope to track" in Global Bindings- then click on the track (on the track control strip on the left) in order to select it > then press "v" to create a straight-line envelope (at your fader setting) across the whole track.

Yeah I noticed that the alt+enter doesn't offer to give you volume control over the clip until you've already changed the clip volume with offset, I think.

For freehand drawing, you press "e" and enter envelope mode, then while hovering over the envelope line, press and hold "alt" and left-click/drag on your envelope line and all over your clip... nodes will be added freehand- does for me?!

But without a control surface with FADERS (!) it's much harder to set the stereo image of a multi-miked instrument, I think. There's no substitute for a nice rack of faders to set volumes on a mix!!!
    djjhart@aol.com
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/14 11:54:45 (permalink)
    Yeah a Cs is great .. I use one, But I'm at the finishing stage of polishing everything up, and I do start with a turn of a knob or a mouse to record automation, but when I record its not perfect , Like velocites drawing straight lines will give you a mechanical feel, but with automation i want it to be perfect start and end point, I want my per say my reverb's mix to increase from the 1-1 to 8-4 and cut off exact. even using a CS. you still have to zoom in and make final adjustments, and when you use the CS your every movement is recorded with a node, which will end up getting deleted or moved around.. So the workflow becomes slow.. and tedious . I just cant believe a drawing of a straight line becomes this hard.. I really do hope CW improves there automation workflow. 

djjhart@aol.com
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/14 12:33:22 (permalink)
    So I called Tech support.. I was told there is no easy way ..But there are some work arounds.. LOL..
     Ok here it is not so easy.. for me I start with a knob or a mouse automate a parameter now I have a bunch of nodes everwhere,, Click T on the keyboard which is the selection tool , not the envelope selection tool. zoom in on your written automation, Click and hold The alt key highlight the nodes you don want, for instance only leave the start node and finished node. go to edit/delete /automation , then right click on the automation again, and click liner instead of jump, What a waste of time.. You can also do it by writting one node at the start and one at the end and pull them where you like.. note snap dosnt work here so getting it to land where you want well good luck and hope you have a steady hand. What a botchery !!!CW the Workaround Daw!

Edit ... Snap to grid does work with envelopes..My bad Just did it..
    post edited by djjhart@aol.com - 2010/04/14 13:02:53

evansmalley
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/14 12:46:43 (permalink)
    Not at all, mon... you're doing it the hardest way I could even figure out! Did you even try "select track" > "v"?

Also, if you click the arrow next to the select tool arrow, it's drop-down allows you to "select envelopes with selection"

post edited by evansmalley - 2010/04/14 12:47:54
    djjhart@aol.com
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/14 13:33:06 (permalink)

Did you even try "select track" > "v"? Also, if you click the arrow next to the select tool arrow, it's drop-down allows you to "select envelopes with selection"

I tried it , Great tip, thanks but it not what I was looking for. You still have to , select alt , then delete the already written Nodes and there still isnt a liner tool to write , right now its one node to node, There's a free hand pencil tool but no liner tool, Its a simple task that is ridiculous to achieve. The curves are cool .. will use.. 
     and your correct I am doing it hardest way.. LOL

I like to grab a knob or mouse  when I record because your doing it real time.and I can hear how it sounds , Ok I leave what was written and then I zoom in to fine tune it. Now I have nodes everywhere and I notice i just like to draw a straight line from one point to another, I have to delete the nodes in between and so on, to achieve it, I can do it the way support said, but a simple tool I thought would be able to achieve it. such as when writing in the piano roll, lasso the working selection and off to work. 

EDIT.. Also I just notice if you have more than one automation written . Good luck erasing ... the alt and selecting well , it selects everything ,so Im back deleting one node at a time.. ahhh
    post edited by djjhart@aol.com - 2010/04/14 13:39:34

ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/14 13:46:59 (permalink)
    EDIT.. Also I just notice if you have more than one automation written . Good luck erasing ... the alt and selecting well , it selects everything ,so Im back deleting one node at a time.. ahhh

If you're in envelope select mode, you should be able to "rubber band" select the nodes and hit DEL.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    djjhart@aol.com
    Re:Drawing Automation.. 2010/04/14 13:56:12 (permalink)
    thanks ba , that works if I dont have other automation going over each other..  I can zoom in far enough delete what not touching and delete the rest one at a time.. the process is getting a little faster.. I thank all for your help..

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1