Isolate instruments and vocals from an audio cd

Author
slayerofdragon
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2010/05/09 05:02:30 (permalink)

Isolate instruments and vocals from an audio cd

Hey everyone,
     Just out of curiosity, is it it possible to isolate guitar and vocals from an audio cd? Meaning, can I have a separate track for vocals and guitar, and possibly other instruments. The reason I am thinking of doing this is because I play guitar with my records and I was wondering if I could cut out the guitar part from the record and input my guitar playing for practice and for fun.

Thanks.

6 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Isolate instruments and vocals from an audio cd 2010/05/09 07:58:31 (permalink)
    Depends on the music. Sometimes you can isolate either certain frequencies or mid/side material reasonably well, sometimes not at all. Depends on the number of instruments, frequency spectrum of the instruments used, how the record is mixed etc.

Usually the results are somewhat poor.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Isolate instruments and vocals from an audio cd 2010/05/09 08:23:18 (permalink)
    In short, NO

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    bdickens
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 847
    Re:Isolate instruments and vocals from an audio cd 2010/05/09 09:02:02 (permalink)
    Nope.

Byron Dickens
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Isolate instruments and vocals from an audio cd 2010/05/09 09:07:53 (permalink)
    "you can't take the eggs out of the cake once you bake it."

none of them really will remove the vocal completely and all of them will also remove some of the other instrument content. 

having said that, there are some plugins for that purpose.  check out http://www.cloneensemble.com/vt_main.htm

voice trap.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    alexisrael
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 130
    Re:Isolate instruments and vocals from an audio cd 2010/05/10 04:45:49 (permalink)

In short: Yes!

However, it depends on the song. The principal of vocal removal, as far as I read about it, is vocal sitting in the center of the mix. There are a number of vocal removers, both software (ex, plugin of a Sony Sound Forge Studio, you can download it from Sony web site, install it and run this plugin for a limited time, so, get ready with the tracks that you want to try for vocal removal) and hardware (such as Behringer Karaoke machine, that I did not tested, however).

As for the Sony vocal removal, my latest finished example is the song Love Blind by Emerson Lake and Powell. I could not find its' MIDI file to record my song (on the 65th WWII Victory Day over german fascism), so, I attempted to delete Emerson vocal from the original track. It was done by Sony (more precize  iZotope) vocal eraser quite good, however, the vocal echo spread wide and still remained in the track. I like the way I managed it, by adding echo/reverb to my backing vocals, so, it burried ELP vocal echo in the mix. My lead vocal was prominient to ensure understandability of the lyrics. Here is this song at YouTube, note that all instruments are of original ELP track. Also note that this is my private nonprofit educational (draft) recording, a tribute to WWII veterans, so, its is in accord with fair use or fair dealing provision(s) of the copyright law(s):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnqJKGGhC58

However, when I attempted to remove vocal of Akon from his song "Don't blame it on me" (another song I have no MIDI file for, while have my original russian lyrics on it) I was not succesful at first look. Perhaphs this instance of vocal removal would also work should I spent on this song mixing a day or so.

post edited by alexisrael - 2010/05/10 10:38:18
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Isolate instruments and vocals from an audio cd 2010/05/10 08:13:45 (permalink)

As for the Sony vocal removal, my latest finished example is the song Love Blind by Emerson Lake and Powell. I could not find its' MIDI file to record my song (on the 65th WWII Victory Day over german fascism), so, I attempted to delete Emerson vocal from the original track

Put Greg Lake's vocal back!

I'm curious as to why you didn't use "Lay Down Your Guns" from the same album instead. Seems more appropriate for the cause than "Love Blind". 
    post edited by daveny5 - 2010/05/10 08:25:57

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1