How to record Cakewalk Studio Instruments in Sonar?

Author
portesham
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 129
2010/05/26 13:11:36 (permalink)

How to record Cakewalk Studio Instruments in Sonar?

I regularly use soft synths with Sonar with no trouble, but recording the bass, drums, keyboard and strings from Cakewalk Studio Instruments into a Sonar project has me stumped. I've looked at tutorials, but they just tell me what I already know about how to use CSI and nothing about how to set up Sonar. The problem is, I can record the first track, drums, onto an audio track in Sonar, but when I try to do the next track, bass, the first track also records itself onto the second one. The result sounds weird. This doesn't happen with other soft synths, when I can record different voices onto different tracks with no difficulty.
Any idea what I'm missing here? I've tried different settings on the inputs and outputs, but nothing makes any difference. Surely I can record the bass, drums, keyboard, and strings onto separate tracks?

Sonar Professional on Win 10, Core 2 quad Q66000, 4GB ram, Tascam US-2x2, NVidia 9400GT, A-500Pro.

Excelling at mediocrity for 61 years.

10 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:How to record Cakewalk Studio Instruments in Sonar? 2010/05/26 13:40:43 (permalink)
    you don't specify what version of sonar..

ok.. you get synth rack up AND the properties? if not press "o"  (not zero) and you get the options up... what you need to do is set up separate / individual audio outs.. if your not getting a dialog box up , then you turned it off.. and your just getting 2 left/right main channels.

I'm not 100% sure , but maybe there is a track template included with SI? you can just call that ... if not you could do one in your project.. then save it out , and just recall that.

the basic issue for you is, you need to set seperate outs... and your problems will be sorted..

I'd suggest Scott's power book also.. it will help a lot.

portesham
    Re:How to record Cakewalk Studio Instruments in Sonar? 2010/05/26 16:07:07 (permalink)
    Fog

you don't specify what version of sonar..

ok.. you get synth rack up AND the properties? if not press "o"  (not zero) and you get the options up... what you need to do is set up separate / individual audio outs.. if your not getting a dialog box up , then you turned it off.. and your just getting 2 left/right main channels.

I'm not 100% sure , but maybe there is a track template included with SI? you can just call that ... if not you could do one in your project.. then save it out , and just recall that.

the basic issue for you is, you need to set seperate outs... and your problems will be sorted..

I'd suggest Scott's power book also.. it will help a lot.

The synth properties box comes up each time I 'insert a soft synth', but there's no option there to set up audio outs. SI doesn't behave like the other soft synths I'm used to; with them I can record multiple takes into a MIDI track, but SI won't do this and I have to use an audio track, and also set up my EMU 1212M card to 'what u hear' in order to record. Obviously what's happenning is that when I record the second track, I'm getting 'what u hear' so it lays the first track (unless I mute it) onto the second.
    I still think I'm missing something here, and as you suggest I thought perhaps it was about getting seperate outs, which it may be, but as long as I've got 'what u hear' set up on the soundcard, I'm going to get the extra layer. It seems odd to me that there isn't a simple way of recording SI into Sonar.......isn't that what it's for?
    Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

Sonar Professional on Win 10, Core 2 quad Q66000, 4GB ram, Tascam US-2x2, NVidia 9400GT, A-500Pro.

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:How to record Cakewalk Studio Instruments in Sonar? 2010/05/26 20:51:16 (permalink)
    SI is a little different from most other synths. I take it you are trying to record the patterns that play inside SI. Is that correct?
    If so, it doesn't work that way. You can jam along with them, but they are essentially being auditioned.
    You need to drag the patterns to your MIDI track associated with SI.
    They are loops, and can be dragged out to suite your song.
    From the MIDI track, the patterns will play through SI just as you would expect from your other synths.
    If you have a controller, you can trigger SI normally as well.
    Once you get the hang of it, it's really easy to work with. I did this little ditty in about 15 minutes when SI was introduced.
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5511094
    hth.
    post edited by RobertB - 2010/05/26 20:59:26

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Fog
    Re:How to record Cakewalk Studio Instruments in Sonar? 2010/05/27 08:14:01 (permalink)
    simon , did you set up your card like so >

http://www.cakewalk.com/T.s/SONAR/PatchMixDSP.aspx

IF it has the same patch mix thing...

as well when you say about "what you hear" made me think.. it's combined audio put out thru the master in sonar.. it surely has seperate outs though?!?!

which version of sonar are you using , maybe that makes a difference? I only joined up at v7

but Bob has the thing... I thought it would have seperate outs, no? for say drums etc much like say session drummer has , and also for they keys + strings?!?!

do you get any sonar track templates with it? just a thought

ALSO.. you are using the VST version of it and not the stand-alone right? as the stand alone has 4 seperate elements.

post edited by Fog - 2010/05/28 11:04:13
    portesham
    Re:How to record Cakewalk Studio Instruments in Sonar? 2010/05/29 03:05:12 (permalink)
    Dragging the files to a MIDI track works well, and seems to be the best way to do what I want. I'd forgotten you can do that. I just wanted an easy way of getting a tight backing track for mucking around with. Normally I'd load some sound fonts into a soft synth and use my MIDI controller to play the parts.
    I've Sonar 8, Paul, and use Patchmix. (your link didn't work btw).  When I was trying to record SI onto an audio track, there are of course only the audio outputs available, but now I'm loading to a MIDI track, I have the multiple outputs including specific ones for the drums, bass, etc. Using the MIDI track means I don't need to create a 'what u hear' strip in patchmix, and can just use my normal template. Talking of templates, there doesn't seem to be a template for SI to load into Sonar that I can find!
    Can you explain a bit more about the VST versus the 'stand alone' version? I'm using the 'stand alone' which as you said has 4 seperate elements, and that's the part that seems over complicated to me, that you can't easily get all 4 running together. I'll take a look later and see if I can work out how to use a VST plug in! Like most of these things, I knew once, but a few months go by and I forget how to do it!
    Thanks again for your comments.

portesham
    Re:How to record Cakewalk Studio Instruments in Sonar? 2010/05/29 04:37:31 (permalink)
    portesham

Dragging the files to a MIDI track works well, and seems to be the best way to do what I want. I'd forgotten you can do that. I just wanted an easy way of getting a tight backing track for mucking around with. Normally I'd load some sound fonts into a soft synth and use my MIDI controller to play the parts.
    I've Sonar 8, Paul, and use Patchmix. (your link didn't work btw).  When I was trying to record SI onto an audio track, there are of course only the audio outputs available, but now I'm loading to a MIDI track, I have the multiple outputs including specific ones for the drums, bass, etc. Using the MIDI track means I don't need to create a 'what u hear' strip in patchmix, and can just use my normal template. Talking of templates, there doesn't seem to be a template for SI to load into Sonar that I can find!
    Can you explain a bit more about the VST versus the 'stand alone' version? I'm using the 'stand alone' which as you said has 4 seperate elements, and that's the part that seems over complicated to me, that you can't easily get all 4 running together. I'll take a look later and see if I can work out how to use a VST plug in! Like most of these things, I knew once, but a few months go by and I forget how to do it!
    Thanks again for your comments.
    Oh, 'ang on, I'm talking rubbish again. VST and soft synth are the same thing. But what's the difference between 'stand alone' and VST. I guess I better go and have a look.............................
    At least it's raining today, so I haven't got much else to do.

Fog
    Re:How to record Cakewalk Studio Instruments in Sonar? 2010/05/29 21:28:09 (permalink)
    the link I gave.. should have worked...

anyways.. vst.. you have to call from within sonar (e.g.. insert synth)....

stand alone .. runs direct from windows .. has options like "asio" and "record to wav" ?

I'm just trying to confirm your actually calling SI from within sonar .. either via synth rack / insert synth

within sonar it's also 4 separate instruments.. so when you trigger them , you should be getting a level and you arm a track etc?

post edited by Fog - 2010/05/29 21:31:48
    gray36
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 372
    Re:How to record Cakewalk Studio Instruments in Sonar? 2010/05/29 23:34:40 (permalink)
    Find the folder your SI is in like C:Programs\ etc... open Sonar, go to Global, should be a VST tab, where you can add that folder to be scanned, and it will be with the rest of your plug ins, if thats what looking to do. Then you can just add like an effect, or ant other soft synth, in that particular track. Hope I'm not making matters worse, just trying to help, good luck! Should be same as FOGs suggestion, about asleep, sorry!

HP Pavilion dv6 Intel Duo Core 2 2.20GHz T6600, Windows 7 x 64, Guitar tracks Pro 4, SonarX1dEXP,SonarX2Prod. 8.5.3, Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, JBL monitors, Alesis SR-16, Guitar Rig 4 Pro, PRS SE, Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Cort SJ-10 ,Steven Slate 3.5, Akai MPK25, Glyph GT 050Q (500GB)RP1000http://soundcloud.com/mar...ayin-around-mix1 
    portesham
    Re:How to record Cakewalk Studio Instruments in Sonar? 2010/06/01 14:12:35 (permalink)
    Fog

the link I gave.. should have worked...

anyways.. vst.. you have to call from within sonar (e.g.. insert synth)....

stand alone .. runs direct from windows .. has options like "asio" and "record to wav" ?

I'm just trying to confirm your actually calling SI from within sonar .. either via synth rack / insert synth

within sonar it's also 4 separate instruments.. so when you trigger them , you should be getting a level and you arm a track etc?
    Yup, that's what I'm doing. I just don't see the point of this software really, even just for jamming along, let alone recording; you can't get all 4 elements to play at once unless you record it, which is hardly straightforward or convenient. So, I've got it all working OK, but I just don't understand why it can't do what I thought it should do.

Fog
    Re:How to record Cakewalk Studio Instruments in Sonar? 2010/06/01 15:49:22 (permalink)
    well you just have 4 instances of it? it's straight forward enough... I mean the obvious thing being you might wanna mix / do automation on 1 specific element..

what do you expect it to do? it has chords / patterns etc built in.. to make life straight forward. you just set it up in your sequencer and hit play.. job done...

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1