V-Studio 20 Q+A

Author
Marketing [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 276
2010/05/28 15:21:16 (permalink)

V-Studio 20 Q+A

Hello,

We received more questions than we could possibly answer in the V-Studio 20 Webinar last night.  I kept note of everyone's questions and have answered them below.  We had a lot of activity, so on the off chance that I missed yoru question, or if you have other questions, please ask them in this thread.

Thanks again to everyone who attended last night.

Carl

General

Does the V-Studio 20 work with SONAR?
It sure does.  You can use the VS-20 hardware as a control surface and audio interface for SONAR.  The hardware-based FX run as a standalone application, so you can also record direct into SONAR with them, or re-amp your SONAr tracks through them.

Can I record with the V-Studio 20, then mix in SONAR?
Yes you can.  The V-Studio 20 will save in a project format that recent versions of SONAR can open.   

What about other DAWs? & will it work on the Mac?
Yes, today the V-Studio 20 hardware will work as a control surface and audio interface with any PC-based DAW, with the exception of Pro Tools which is a closed system that doesn’t allow you to use external hardware.  The hardware-based BOSS effects can also be used on input while recording with those daws, or to re-amp tracks that have already been recorded in those daws.

In addition, we are in the final stages of testing drivers, control surface support, and the VS-20 effects editor for the Macintosh.  Those will be available for download soon.

I own an older Roland V-Studio, can I record direct to the V-Studio 20 in the same way?
The Roland V-Studio products were hardware-based recorders.  The V-Studio 20 is a member of the next generation V-Studio line co-developed by Cakewalk and Roland.  The new V-Studio products are designed to be innovative hardware and software solutions.  With the exception of the V-Studio 100 which has an integrated SD wave recorder, you need to be connected to a computer to do your recording.  

Can you use the V-Studio 20 Live?
Yes you can, there’s nothing stopping you from bringing your laptop or netbook and the V-Studio 20 hardware to your live gig.  You can send the VS-20’s outputs right to the mixing board or an external amplifier.  We think you’ll definitely appreciate not having to carry all that gear.  If you want to play live we would definitely suggest incorporating the optional Boss footswitch and expression pedal so you can control your sounds and change patches, because running over to your laptop before your big solo will not look as cool.

Can you tell us more about the MIDI capabilities of the V-Studio 20?
The V-Studio 20 was not designed to be a MIDI sequencer, think of it as a multitrack audio recording solution, that has MIDI backing tracks. 

Here is what you can do. You can load any standard MIDI files as backing tracks to use with the V-Studio 100.   You can do basic cut/copy/paste and automation on the MIDI backing track.  You can mute or change parts on the TTS-1 synth which plays back the MIDI parts.

If you want to do detailed MIDI editing and sequencing, or work with soft synths but still use the VS-20 hardware and BOSS fx, we would recommend that you use the VS-20 with SONAR.

What’s the Deal with the Free e-book?
We just saw a final draft from Craig Anderton, it’s being laid out and should be ready by next week, if you registered for the Seminar, you’ll get an email about it when its available for download.

How much does it cost?
The V-Studio 20 has a street price of $299 US.  The price may be different in other markets. 

Effects

Are these real BOSS fx or simulated?
Don’t let the fact that you control these effects form a computer fool you.  The V-Studio 20 was developed together with BOSS, and the hardware includes a COSM chip with authentic BOSS effects. 

Do the BOSS FX work as a Plug-in in Guitar Tracks/SONAR or is it only a stand alone?
The VS-20 Effects Editor is a stand alone application.  You can use it on input while recording, or re-amp tracks through it from within your DAW.

What if I want to use my existing amp and effects, can I do that?
Yes, you can route your signal through your existing amps and effects before recording with the V-Studio 20.  You can also send the audio out of the V-Studio 20 to your amp or external effects. 

Does Guitar Tracks come with any plug-in effects, can you use VSTs?
Yes Guitar Tracks includes 11 VST effects and you can add additional VST effects. 

Hardware

Does the hardware HAVE to be connected to mix & edit? 
No, the hardware doesn’t need to be connected to mix or edit, although mixing may be more enjoyable with the faders that the VS-20 hardware provides.

What does the unit save to when you're recording away from a computer?
The VS-20 is not a hardware recorder.  You need to be connected to a PC, Netbook, or soon a Macintosh to use it for recording.  You may be thinking of the V-Studio 100 which combines an audio interface, control surface, digital mixer, and wave recorder.

Is there a balance knob that allows me balance between source and mix
There isn’t a single balance knob, but there are individual knobs to control the levels for input source, MIDI backing tracks, and DAW output mix.

Are the Faders motorized?
No the V-Studio 20 does not have motorized faders.  The V-Studio 100 has a motorized fader, and the V-Studio 700 has motorized faders.

How does it re-sync with software when banking?

When you are banking, when you touch a fader it will jump to the position that the fader is currently set at

Does it come with footswitch & Expression Pedals, if not how much do they cost?
The footswitch and expression pedals are optional accessories.  I just checked the price of the 5 approved footswitches and expression pedals for the V-Studio 20 on the web and they range from $24.99-$99.00. 

Guitar Tracks

Does this come with the FULL version of Guitar Tracks Pro 4 - or is it an integrated stripped-down version?
No, the V-Studio 20 includes Guitar Tracks, a streamlined and easier to use recording software, based on Guitar Tracks Pro.  You can upgrade to Guitar Tracks Pro or SONAR for extensive sequencing, editing, and mixing capabilities.

How much backing tracks content does it come with?
Guitar Tracks includes 1 GB of backing tracks content in a wide variety of styles.  There’s over 250 backing tracks, including 18 complete songs.

I see 16 bit and 44.1. can you change the bit & sample rate?
The basic Guitar Tracks software that is included in the V-Studio 20 is limited to 16- bit, 44.1 kHz.  If you use the V-Studio 20 hardware with another DAW, you can record and playback at 24-bit quality.

What is the best operating system to use this with? Will it eventually support Windows 7 64-bit?
Cakewalk recommends Windows 7, but the V-Studio 20 will work just fine on Vista or Windows XP.   The V-Studio 20 runs on Windows 7 64-bit as an x86 application.  We will have the x64 control surface plug-in for SONAR available soon, it’s in the final testing stages.

post edited by Marketing [Cakewalk] - 2010/05/28 15:25:58

9 Replies Related Threads

rock star
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:V-Studio 20 Q+A 2010/12/18 04:26:56 (permalink)
    hi, I am new to v-studio 20, only bought it 2nights ago... had a lot of trouble installing it but eventually got it working. I recorded 3 tracks earlier today and it played back fine though my speakers but now it wont playproperly. It is very "jerky" and misses some of the music. the timeline bar jerks across the screen. Could it be my speakers?

Also when I open the editor  I get an error message unable to read/write data. I have troubleshot it but nothing helps (PS I have uninstalled and installed 3 times already) anyone help?
    Cristo
    Re:V-Studio 20 Q+A 2011/04/26 04:24:38 (permalink)
    I cant hear anything when I open recent projects. When I go options/audio I would like to see input-v studio 20 + output v studio 20, but cant see how to find & keep this setting.  Thanks.
    guylemec
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 152
    Re:V-Studio 20 Q+A 2012/01/10 02:52:05 (permalink)
    Can I use the effects in the VS-20 through a different audio interface (eg Focusrite 24 DSP)?

I'm a guitarist, not a scientist, recording audio/midi via SONAR Platinum.
    Win7 x64, i7, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, A-500 Pro, 12GB RAM, 2.9GHz
    thunderkyss
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1207
    Re:V-Studio 20 Q+A 2013/05/18 12:27:45 (permalink)
    Marketing [Cakewalk
    ]
    General

Does the V-Studio 20 work with SONAR?
    It sure does.  You can use the VS-20 hardware as a control surface and audio interface for SONAR.  The hardware-based FX run as a standalone application, so you can also record direct into SONAR with them, or re-amp your SONAr tracks through them.

What about other DAWs? & will it work on the Mac? 
    Yes, today the V-Studio 20 hardware will work as a control surface and audio interface with any PC-based DAW, with the exception of Pro Tools which is a closed system that doesn’t allow you to use external hardware.  The hardware-based BOSS effects can also be used on input while recording with those daws, or to re-amp tracks that have already been recorded in those daws.

In addition, we are in the final stages of testing drivers, control surface support, and the VS-20 effects editor for the Macintosh.  Those will be available for download soon.

So how's the Mac editor coming? 

Another question, the VS-20 looks like it's set up to control 4 banks of 8 tracks. When used with other DAWs, or Sonar, are we limited to controlling the first 32 tracks? Is there a way to make it work with 64 tracks? 

trebor55
    Re: V-Studio 20 Q+A 2013/06/11 06:26:59 (permalink)
    I have successfully exported files, but i do not hear any sound and i have a working vlc player and windows mediaplayer. Can anyone help me??

Robert Jan Nijk
    ruairidh
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: V-Studio 20 Q+A 2014/05/12 16:37:58 (permalink)
    HI can anyone help Im trying to download the windows 8 version of SONAR   but it doesnt download fully and there fore doesnt work! Unacceptable really because on the Roland site we are informed that windows 8 driver does support SONAR so it leads people to buy the product.... Basically a scam?! And the support is absolutely rubbish I have contacted Cakewalk and ROLAND and neither have replied at all! Anyone got any advice?

Gemini2
    Re:V-Studio 20 Q+A 2018/12/20 14:20:41 (permalink)
    I have had the same problem, but I think I have solved it.   I'm sending you the following link 

I hope this will be of help.
    Gemini2
    Re:V-Studio 20 Q+A 2018/12/20 14:23:44 (permalink)

Leadfoot
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2817
    Re:V-Studio 20 Q+A 2018/12/20 18:25:24 (permalink)
    This thread is 5 years old.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1