Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors

62 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 12:08:25 (permalink)
    Wow,

You're on first name basis with a guy that was on the Muppets show.

rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 12:14:59 (permalink)
    bapu

Wow,

You're on first name basis with a guy that was on the Muppets show.

Yeah, good ol' Paul and I go way back.  I used to be Kermit's stand-in, met Paul when he did his guest star appearance.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 12:41:53 (permalink)
    Paul Williams? Is that not the little fellow from Smokey and The Bandit?

I read the letter. All I can say is what a load of crock. Music will "dry up" because of online distribution?

Right, OK.

Just when you thought you had seen it all, now we have dinosaurs on crack.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 12:45:21 (permalink)
    It's a shame that the letter did not elaborate on the issue at hand... it leaves too much room for speculation and accusation.

best regards,
    mike

Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 12:58:51 (permalink)
    Hi,

What a total crock of merdeon!

Maybe they should ask for a donation from the very people that are cruising off the money ... instead of people that actually gain absolutely nothing from it.

And for the record, ASCAP and BMI have not handled their job with care, attention, detail, and ... above all, protect the songwriters themselves. For over 50 years, that institution has been nothing but an escuse to fatten up the bigger bands for the record companies, and it has done nothing to help and protect new folks and bands and work!

But it will stand up for the one making the millions!

Sorry. Take this drivel and shove it. I know I can be stuck up sometimes, but letters like that make me puke! ... it would be much more honorable to receive a Dear John letter from Bapu!

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 13:49:48 (permalink)
    Moshkiae

Hi,

What a total crock of merdeon!

Maybe they should ask for a donation from the very people that are cruising off the money ... instead of people that actually gain absolutely nothing from it.

And for the record, ASCAP and BMI have not handled their job with care, attention, detail, and ... above all, protect the songwriters themselves. For over 50 years, that institution has been nothing but an escuse to fatten up the bigger bands for the record companies, and it has done nothing to help and protect new folks and bands and work!

But it will stand up for the one making the millions!

Sorry. Take this drivel and shove it. I know I can be stuck up sometimes, but letters like that make me puke! ... it would be much more honorable to receive a Dear John letter from Bapu!

So, no real opinion on that then Pedro?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    bapu
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 13:52:05 (permalink)

james

I forget, who is the Pedro translator this week?
    rbowser
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 14:36:19 (permalink)
    Interesting - Considering how thrilled more and more people are to give their music away online, I figured there would be some opposite opinions expressed.  But I didn't expect all the reaction (so far) to be totally negative.

It probably is too much to expect people to agree on courses of action, even when they have a common cause.  But of course that just makes the possibility of positive change even more difficult to achieve, and their common cause weaker.

About ASCAP, it was said on this thread, "... it has done nothing to help and protect new folks and bands and work..."  Well, that's blatantly false.  Why do my ASCAP friends enjoy some nice sized royalty payments which would have escaped them if they weren't members of this performing rights society?  Of course one thing those people have in common that I'm thinking about, is that they write actual music, they're not pasting together loops and ripped off bits from online to pawn off as something supposedly original.

This is my first post in the Coffee House.  I usually only visit the Sonar Forum - and I thought it get rowdy there!  Kind of fun here though.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    bapu
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 14:41:19 (permalink)
    Oh, it's been rowdy on occasion here.

Mostly low key though.

Well.... except for Mooch.

bapu
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 14:43:54 (permalink)
    Oh yeah, no one cares about your DAW specs here.

Well... except for Mooch.

rbowser
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 14:55:46 (permalink)
    hehe--I'll definitely be looking around the Coffee House more now, Bapu.  Fun stuff, negative replies on this thread notwithstanding, since I posted purely for informational purposes, knowing people can take it as they will.  I can see this page can be a good alternative to the Sonar Forum, when one isn't in the mood to be sooooo serious about it all.

Later!
    Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Ham N Egz
    • Total Posts : 15161
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 15:04:36 (permalink)
    bapu

Oh, it's been rowdy on occasion here.

Mostly low key though.

Well.... except for Mooch.

IS THIS AN EXAMPLE OF LOW KEY?????

Green Acres is the place to be
     I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 15:04:47 (permalink)
    Nice to see you down here Randy. It can get (very) silly  but there are some interesting discussions too.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 17:38:25 (permalink)
    rbowser

hehe--I'll definitely be looking around the Coffee House more now...

Then you'll have to take the hat off Randy   

We're all sticklers for good manners down here in the arse end of the Cakewalk forums Coffee House 

And the beard will have to go too.

Nothing to do with manners.... it's just too well kempt

Unless it looks like Bapu's:  

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 18:51:26 (permalink)
    rbowser

THE ASCAP LEGISLATIVE FUND FOR THE ARTS

Randy B.

Well there's clearly something wrong at ASCAP. The rights of creators and copyright holders are not and never have been in "limbo". Only ASCAP's revenue is in jeopardy as the strangle hold they've held on the music business is slowly wrenched away.
    Sorry to be so abrasive, but it's true. You can sign deals with other than ASCAP now and the competition is gaining ground on the market. I have absolutely nothing against ASCAP and they have legitamately handled music revenues for many years for many entities in the business. But this article is pure propaganda and huge mistake by whoever put it out.

Craig DuBuc
    rbowser
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 19:05:47 (permalink)
    Hi, Crg - Hmm, I don't know how it can be said that the rights of creators and copyright holders aren't in limbo.  That's been The Issue for quite a few years now, and because of the power of the internet, people become more and more glib at assuming they can get and have a right to get whatever they want, get it now, get it free, with not much concern for the creators they rip off.  Napster on down, and now we have musicians who feel its a privilege to have a place online where they can give away the fruits of their labor for free, with the very possibly naive notion that "at least it's out there - if people will like it, maybe I'll eventually be compensated."

"...this article is pure propaganda and huge mistake by whoever put it out..."

ASCAP put it out.  Paul Williams, the songwriter, is the current President, and whether or not he wrote the text, he signed it.  That letter outlines what the organization's biggest push currently is.  As an ASCAP member I get emails from them, this one came this morning, knew it'd be interesting to share here.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Crg
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 19:22:46 (permalink)
    rbowser

Hi, Crg - Hmm, I don't know how it can be said that the rights of creators and copyright holders aren't in limbo.  That's been The Issue for quite a few years now, and because of the power of the internet, people become more and more glib at assuming they can get and have a right to get whatever they want, get it now, get it free, with not much concern for the creators they rip off.  Napster on down, and now we have musicians who feel its a privilege to have a place online where they can give away the fruits of their labor for free, with the very possibly naive notion that "at least it's out there - if people will like it, maybe I'll eventually be compensated."

"...this article is pure propaganda and huge mistake by whoever put it out..."

ASCAP put it out.  Paul Williams, the songwriter, is the current President, and whether or not he wrote the text, he signed it.  That letter outlines what the organization's biggest push currently is.  As an ASCAP member I get emails from them, this one came this morning, knew it'd be interesting to share here.

Randy B.

All true Randy. But it is up to you the creator of intellectual property # whatever, to pursue recovering damages from theft of your intellectual property. The give it away for free comeon is just another ruse by internet entities who can dissapear with the click of a mouse. ASCAP is in danger, but the reality of the situation is much more far reaching than that article. Scare don't work on me, and that's just what that article was, a scare tactic by people losing their grip on music revenues.

Craig DuBuc
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 19:27:19 (permalink)
    rbowser

Randy B.

ASCAP is begging for money now?  That's ridiculous!  Not saying writers and copyright owners aren't owed their due, but they should be chasing after the labels that keep 90% of the profits away from the artists, not from the artists themselves!

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Crg
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 19:30:32 (permalink)
    Slugbaby

rbowser

Randy B.

ASCAP is begging for money now?  That's ridiculous!  Not saying writers and copyright owners aren't owed their due, but they should be chasing after the labels that keep 90% of the profits away from the artists, not from the artists themselves!

+1

Craig DuBuc
    rbowser
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 20:31:56 (permalink)
    I'm going to attempt to present the objections posted here to someone at ASCAP who could possibly care to write a response.  I'll try to get it to Paul Williams in fact.  Wouldn't that be interesting to hear what an official reply would be?  I think so.  - I know I can't hold my breath waiting for a reply, but I have a good record of getting through and getting responses from people who are difficult to reach.  If I get any sort of response, I'll post it here.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 20:32:14 (permalink)
    Talk about disinformation. How is copyleft--i.e. the voluntary licensing of the creative work of an artist or author to permit the public to use his creation without having to pay a publisher or recording company any kind of threat whatsoever to any artist represented by ASCAP? It is a threat to the business that is ASCAP itself perhaps, since every such work given away freely is one less work that they can charge a fee (ultimately coming from the artist) to collect money to pay their salaries bonuses, their office rent, their parties, etc.

That would be like the government asking you to contribute over and above your taxes to combat the threat posed by the Salvation Army whose efforts to help and train the poor for jobs threatens the governments monopoly on paying unemployment benefits.

If ASCAP wants to fight the illegal copying or performance of their clients' work, I have no problem with that. But to claim that goal is threatened by the charity of artists who are giving away their music is just plain mean-spirited. It reminds me of Microsoft's attempts to lobby to make open source freeware illegal, because it competes with their products.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 20:42:45 (permalink)
    because of the power of the internet, people become more and more glib at assuming they can get and have a right to get whatever they want, get it now, get it free, with not much concern for the creators they rip off

Let's think way outside the box for a minute. Some people think music should be free (bizarre though that may be to assume that anything is free). But how is that fundamentally different from other people assuming they should be paid for making music? Both are unquestioned truths within those respective groups' paradigms.

Music isn't like most commodities. It's more like cooking than making cars, for example. Most people cook, even if most don't do it exceptionally well. Most people cook because they enjoy it. Relatively few are paid to do it. Is every cook automatically entitled to be paid? Even if all you do is sniff the air as you pass their kitchen? Even if the cook's specialty is frozen Ding Dongs? (That's a jab at loopers and remixers, in case I'm getting too metaphorical).

Or consider prostitution as another analogy. Again, something everybody does, everybody thinks they're better than average at it, and relatively few are paid to do it. Is everybody on the planet entitled to a hundred dollar bill on the nightstand?

Imagine an alternate reality in which the job of "professional musician" does not exist. People make music because they enjoy it. They give it away because a big part of the enjoyment comes from making others happy. This isn't Bizarro World, some unimaginable alternate dimension. This is the world as it was for millenia prior to the invention of recording.

Just thinkin' out loud, not trying to convince anybody of anything. Full disclosure: I do get paid to make music and have never declined said payment on philosophical grounds.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 20:50:57 (permalink)
    Oh, and anybody who tries to make a villain out of the Electronic Frontier Foundation has got to be some kind of deluded and/or disingenuous Orwellian propagandist. And since when is Creative Commons any kind of threat to life as we know it? Sheesh. War is Peace! Freedom is Slavery! That is Bizarro World.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    bapu
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 21:58:26 (permalink)
    the threat posed by the Salvation Army

I've been suspicious of them for years!
    bapu
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 21:59:37 (permalink)
    Is everybody on the planet entitled to a hundred dollar bill on the nightstand?

By some standards, that might just be a very cheap date.

foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 22:11:44 (permalink)
    The problem with ASCAP and others is they are actually Guilds. Guilds tend to become gatekeepers and ultimately gatekeepers tend to seriously inhibit innovation, while maintaining a small pool of concentrated power and wealth that is nearly impossible for others to access.

I understand the premise and purpose of guild and unions, but for me, they are the equivalent of using evil to fight evil.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    rbowser
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 22:17:37 (permalink)
    It's a very interesting thread, but I'm still surprised that the on topic responses are all negative. 

Some very wild phrases thrown around, in my opinion, some suggesting that it's somehow an unreasonable expectation for anyone to think they could/should ever make money from writing music - an activity which can easily have them working longer hours than a doctor, lawyer, or other professional. 

Someone who thinks a writer doesn't have the right to be compensated is disguising, I think, his own lack of appreciation and maybe even contempt for music.  But that jibes with the opinion of the average person - that music is just "stuff" which should all just be free, never mind that artists actually creating the stuff could starve, making no money yet spending their lives writing it. 

People have always had a hard time appreciating the importance of the Arts, and of considering Artists as people who deserve to make a living - And strangest of all, sometimes people with that attitude are Artists themselves, or at least appear to be.

I've made my first inquiry to ASCAP, suggesting that an official response to this very public discussion about their Legislative Fund For The Arts could be helpful to the organization, even though of course there would be more feedback to whatever they would post.

We'll see if I can get word back from someone there.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    rbowser
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 22:22:49 (permalink)
    "...they are the equivalent of using evil to fight evil..."

Tell that to the seamstresses in sweatshops all over the world making pennies a day so we can wear our over-priced fashions.

Tell that to the actors before The Screen Actor's Guild was formed, and they worked non-stop through the night, did their own stunts, and did it all for whatever whimsical amount the studio deigned to pay them.

---omg, am I finding out that I'm surrounded by Republicans here like at the other Forums.  Heeeeeeeelp meeeeee!

Randy B.
    post edited by rbowser - 2010/06/23 22:30:27

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:A message from Paul Williams, President of ASCAP 2010/06/23 22:48:12 (permalink)
    According to that test someone posted a few months ago, many of us are Libertarians.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1