Home studio v Music Creator - advice please.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
lostandconfused
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 87
2010/07/07 06:47:19 (permalink)

Home studio v Music Creator - advice please.

Hi,

Is it possible to create simple, traditionally recogniseable songs/music using one or both of these ?

I am a 'non-musician' insofar as I have no instrumental skills but, unfortunately, many years ago, I was cursed with need to create songs that I could only 'hear in my head'.  While this was OK at the time [before computers] as I enjoyed the challenge of writing them anyway.  The effects of ageing prevents the full aqusition of keyboard skills [dexterity and speed] but the blurb surrounding some computer software suggests that these problems can be overcome/bypassed.  That chords/melodies can be 'drag and dropped' from music banks to produce original compositions {a demonstration would be excellent}  It would be nice to produce something 'real' before I pop-my-clogs!

Any advice or comments would be appeciated.

Thanks,

Vincent.

46 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/07 07:29:47 (permalink)
    It is possible to do what you say with Music Creator 5...... however, without musical skills (playing an instrument) it will be more difficult since MC5 is designed to be a recording studio requiring some sort of input.

I think what you might be looking for is a program that CAN create music for you with relative ease and just a small understanding of music.  I suggest Band In A Box...... it is sweet in that, it creates songs with complete instrumentation. You select a few parameters..... tempo, key, style, and then simply input chords to a grid..... and with a bit of editing,,,,, waaa laaaa... you have a song.

Here>>>>  www.pgmusic.com  BiaB is not a cheap program, but it sure is cheaper than spending the money on lessons....BTW: I'd still spend the time & money to learn to play something...guitar or keys...........  I use it in addition to my own playing to create tracks for songs.

Check out some of my tunes..... most of the recent ones have some tracks in them created in BiaB.

I think that's what you're looking for.... I use BOTH BB & MC to do what I do.

Note: I haven't looked in a while...see if they still have a free demo available
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/07 07:31:56

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/07 08:18:33 (permalink)
    I completely agree with Herb (guitarhacker) here.  if you can't play any musical instruments then BIAB is probably the best route for you.  you can enter chords and create backing tracks right away.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    lostandconfused
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/07 13:46:20 (permalink)
    Thanks Lads,

I'll have a look at that.  

I do have a cheap Yamaha keyboard [with usb] on which I can pick out 4/6 chords and half adozen melody notes [not necessarily at the same time] but I'm having trouble installing it onto pc.  I have read, in Scott Garrigus, that in home studio it is possible to literally 'play in' single notes or chords
    and construct songs that way as the blending [should that be mixing?] and 'tweaking' can be in the project. {reading a book is not necessarily the same as understanding - well not in my case!}

Regards,

Vincent
    Beagle
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/07 14:15:30 (permalink)
    vincent -
    using a keyboard you can record MIDI or audio and play single note melodies or chords, yes.  but it won't make any backing tracks for you - it will only record what you put into it.  is that what you mean?

Guitarhacker
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/07 15:49:39 (permalink)
    MC and the other sonar/cakewalk products are designed to be recording systems.... where you provide ALL the input. You can multi track the drum, bass, keys, and so on..... but cake will not do the creative part for you.....

BiaB on the other hand will create entire songs from some basic non-musical instructions that you give it.

Some real magic happens when you use BiaB and MC together with some personal input.....

BMI/NSAI

Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/07 18:55:50 (permalink)

there are numerious options. Like the "Lads" said Band in a Box is a great way to make music from scratch with adding chprds. It also has a melody writer option that will make melodies from the chords. Or you can sing the melodies in with a mike and that will record midi.

Also for the non instrument player whop has Music "in his/her head"  try playing around with this program. http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/songsmith/download.html  Once a song structure is made it could be converted to midi and opened inside MC5.

There are also loop disks, and midi clips galore on the net.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/07 23:28:19 (permalink)
    You can put MIDI data in a track with your mouse, no MIDI keyboard needed. Step recording allows you to set which duration note you want, you click (or play a MIDI keyboard) the note and the program moves the prescribed amount ready to receive the next note.
    With your Yamaha, if you know how to make a major chord and a minor chord, you pretty much know how to make all chords that most songwriters will use. Unless it's jazz.

You can also form a partnership/friendship with someone who plays well, and collaborate on some songs. You sing the melodies; they create the arrangement.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    lostandconfused
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/09 04:58:56 (permalink)
    First off: apologies for any perceived delay in responding to the comments here but I'm new to this kind of thing and it has taken me literally hours to find this thread again [is that the right word?] Is there a short cut button/method to 'pick up where you left off? because I am likely to have the same problem the next time I log on. [don't ask how I got here now]

I genuinely appreciate the advice from all of you but I feel must say that the last line of 57Gregy's comment really made me smile. No offense Greg but if sang to someone they would shoot me - hell I would!

I had a look at Herb's site and I was impressed by his use of Band in a Box which I had never heard of.  The cost of BiaBox means, for the moment at least, that it is only 'aspirational' but I have got some stuff to sell [then I only have to convince my 'Boss' how to spend it] in the meantime I will have a look at the other things suggested here and try to get this keyboard to work home studio [2002]. 

While I now know that HS is a'blank sheet' would anyone recommend the Musical Instruments package or is that also something for the experienced musician/computer user?

Just so you know, you are giving your brains and time to help a stranger who is half a world away.  Quite remarkable!

Regards,

Vincent
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/09 08:17:40 (permalink)
    your thread will always be in the music creator forum. there is a little icon that appears in threads that you have commented on...it's a little yellow thing..... click it and it takes you to the first unread post in that thread. New posts will allow the unread threads to be in BOLD for a certain amount of time to indicate at a glance the newest and freshest material.

On Band in a Box.... the entry level package is less than $200.... ($160 comes to mind) and you can upgrade from any of them to the higher ones at any time. The higher level packages have the really nice "real tracks" that make the real instrument sounds.  I use BB all the time to compose music.... in the midi mode  and styles because it is faster to play. Then I convert the style to a real tracks style.

MC5 comes with Sound Center which has 150 instrument sounds and also TTS which has a bunch of synth instruments as well. That is already in the box..... and I used them for quite some before I got my newer toys

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/09 08:35:29

BMI/NSAI

57Gregy
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/09 11:56:50 (permalink)
    in the meantime I will have a look at the other things suggested here and try to get this keyboard to work home studio [2002].

Does the Yamaha keyboard have standard MIDI in/out, or does it have a USB port? Does your computer have standard MIDI in/out? If it only has USB ports, and your Yamaha doesn't have a USB port, you'll need a MIDI-to-USB converter. That has MIDI plugs on one end and a USB plug on the other, and Yamaha keyboards don't always work well with MIDI-to-USB converters that aren't made by Yamaha. If the keyboard has a USB port, you should be able to plug it in, select that USB port in HS, Options>MIDI Devices, and start recording.
    What operating system does your computer have? Home Studio (2004) probably won't work well with Vista or Windows 7. Plus, HS probably doesn't have VST support without the no-longer-available-from-Cakewalk VST adapter. That's a software thingy that allows Steinberg's Virtual Studio Tecnology instruments and effects to run in older Cakewalk programs. From Music Creator 4 forward (around 2006), VSTs were supported without the need to purchase a VST adapter.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

lostandconfused
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/11 06:59:07 (permalink)
    Hello Greg,

My Keyboard is usb and I've downloaded the software from Yamaha to enable me to open it in Home Studio [it is an old HS 2002]. Using Windows XP; comptuer all usb.  

I've got Middi devices input >output showing the same: yamaha portatone-1.

In 'options' I've tried settings... yamaha - <default: General Midi and Yamaha XG but while the keyboard notes plays it does not appear as a track in either a new 'empty' project or an 'old' one with some loops already set up. 

I'm beggining to feel that I'll have to upgrade something at the very least but, my son-in-law's reasoning is that Cakewalk [or similar products] are made to be compatible with new developments while still retaining functionality.  Although the keyboard is only a cheap model it was bought for three factors two off which were: It was multi instrumental and it could be connected directly to a PC.

I've had a look at microsoft's 'songwriter' but I don't think it has the adaptabilty I will need and the forum there seems to be something of a 'lost zone' with very little input or response but I appreciate the 'nod' in its direction. 

Herb mentioned that he had successfully used MC5 but I've seen a lot of reports claiming huge problems in setting up and using this model.  Question: are these complaints from simple folk like me or were there genuine glitches that have subsequently been sorted out?

Regards,

Vincent.

Beagle
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/11 09:00:56 (permalink)
    In 'options' I've tried settings... yamaha - <default: General Midi and Yamaha XG but while the keyboard notes plays it does not appear as a track in either a new 'empty' project or an 'old' one with some loops already set up.
    those settings are for INS DEFs and you won't have an INS DEF for the portatone.  but you don't necessarily need it anyway. 

if you've set up the portatone in the MIDI DEVICES as an INPUT then you need to set up a MIDI TRACK and set the PORTATONE as the INPUT of that track.  then you need to set up a softsynth as the OUTPUT.  I assume HS2002 had softsynths of some kind, but I don't know what it came with.  maybe EDIROL VSC?

Guitarhacker
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/11 09:16:05 (permalink)
    First... some of the older versions might not run on a new OS like Vista or W7.... I have a very old cakewalk pro 8 that will not run on vista.....

As far as the midi keyboard..... I use a very old midi keyboard..... the midi format has not changed so any midi keyboard should work just fine.

That aside...

It sounds like the program is working on your machine. It also sounds like you are using a very old version of Cakewalk software. My recommendation is that you upgrade to the Boxed version of Music Creator 5, available at some of teh big box retailers in your area. The upgrade is well worth the $40 cost. You get some really nice sounding synths and samples in it. MC5 will run on XP, Vista, and W7.

There are 2 kinds of tracks AUDIO and MIDI..... it depends on what you are trying to record from teh keyboard..... if you are trying to record the MIDI data, you must have a midi track set up to recieve the data on the correct channel, and armed for recording.  Generally you would also have a softsynth in an AUDIO channel to play the output of the midi channel. MC will do this for you when you select INSERT SYNTH.

you mentioned upgrades.... the first upgrade I would consider would be to a better interface (sound card) since that is the heart of the system. Most computers with a minimum 1GB of memory (more is better of course) running XP or later will run the Cake family of products quite well.

What reports of problems have you heard about MC5? MC5 as well as it's forerunners (I use MC4 and MC5) all work extremely well. I can record without problems. I think the ones who have problems, and yes, we get quite a few here with problems, and are not able to solve them successfully are people who come here expecting miracles from us. We offer advice, but people are not always willing to follow the advice we give. Generally, to get MC to work well, an upgrade to a nice dedicated interface (soundcard) is the remedy. A couple of hundred bucks maximum will solve most problems and afford a pleasant and satisfying recording experience. I don't think I have ever heard anyone come in here with a computer that would not run the software.... it's usually the sound card. I don't think there's anyone here (long time users) that are still using the factory card for recording. Listen to our songs to hear the results of a dedicated card.

So.... in summation: Buy MC5 ($40), upgrade to a dedicated interface (give or take $150 or so), come and ask questions if you are not getting it to work properly, be patient and civil, and you will be successful in recording music.

BMI/NSAI

57Gregy
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/11 19:34:09 (permalink)
    Home Studio 2002 should work just fine with XP, since that was the new OS at that time.
    In 'Options>Instruments' I think you should select General MIDI. I'm not sure if HS 2002 supports instrument definitions, which Beagle mentioned above.
    The Edirol VSC software synthesizer was included with my version of MC 2003, which came out in 2002, but you'll have to look for it under 'Insert>Soft Synths>Edirol VSC'. Do you have anything listed under the 'Insert' menu? Anyway, if you have soft synths, insert them there. That will create a new MIDI track if the 'Create MIDI Source Track' box is checked, plus a synth track.
    You can select as your MIDI output either the USB port that the keyboard is connected to, which will send the MIDI data to your keyboard to be played, or a soft synth, if you have any.
    In a MIDI track (a MIDI track has an icon that looks like the end of a MIDI plug; an audio track has an icon with 2 squiggly lines which represent a stereo audio wave form), select an input; try MIDI Omni. Select an output, use the USB port to send the data to the Yanaha or a soft synth (if you have one inserted) as your output.
    Select a channel; you should use different channels for each MIDI track, otherwise they'll all sound like piano (the default patch).
    Set the metronome to your desired tempo. Most of us eschew the metronome (I could never hear the thing) and make a click track or drum track to record to, but it's okay to use if it's loud enough for you.
    Arm the MIDI track for recording by clicking the R in the track pane. Start recording by clicking the Record button in the Transport toolbar. There is also something called 'Count-in', which is a beat that sounds before recording begins, like the drummer saying "one, two, three" before the start of a song. You can set that to varying lengths.
    If using soft synths, it's sometimes best to not start playing your instrument for a few measures, to let the synth get started. Click record, wait a few measures, then start playing the keyboard.
    I also have an old, cheap Yamaha keyboard. It has worked great through 3 different versions of Cakewalk software. I expect I'll be playing it for several more years. 

Greg 

lostandconfused
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/12 08:17:20 (permalink)
    Congratulations, you've just frightened the living daylight out of me!

I hope it's OK but I just printed out your responses so that I could, maybe, more easily follow them.  At home alone I began to go through the suggestions given and while focused entirely on the monitor display the keyboard behind me came ALIVE.  When I got down from the ceiling I realised it must be the 'count in' Greg mentioned.  I had another go through the instructions and found that I've actually produced some random notes in a track and the playback sound, while discordant - I'm still shaking, is fine.  

There does not seem to be any 'soft synths' in this version of HS and I have seen why you recommend the box version over the download [the missing bits].  The adverse comments regarding MC5 were either on Cakewalk Forum or on Amazon.   There is no danger of me blindly dismissing or disregarding the comments offered here as I'm simply too ignorant of the subject.  Speaking of which, would any of you recommend the Musical Instruments package or is there, in your opinon(s) enough in the MC5 software? or is that for the already accomplished musician/computer user [while typing that last phrase I 'heard' someone say, "get MC5 first and addons later."  Is this site telepathic?

Because I still don't 'know' what I'm doing I'll probably carry on with the built in soundcard for the time being but if you are really insistant that a bigger or special purpose card is a 'must have' I'll start dropping hints for my next present. [A 'hint' from me being, "You can get me..."]

I've got a bit of work to do in the house for the next week or so that must be done but I will make some time every morning to play around with what you have shown me and I'll also try to follow the chapter in Scott Garrigus's book [and when I can't I'll come back].

As ever, all comments, tips and advice is much appreciated.

Signing of now with my thanks and warmest regards to you all,

Vincent.

Guitarhacker
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/12 08:32:43 (permalink)
    I would get MC5 first... the sound center and TTS are fine synths for someone getting started.

MC5 is a fully functional DAW that is simplified in it's operation, it has the sound center (SC) synth that has 150 decent sounding instruments and then TTS is a synth that has more general midi stuff in it.

Once you have MC5....yes, you can add all sorts of synths and other VST's and FX later.

BMI/NSAI

Guitarhacker
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/12 08:36:48 (permalink)
    Some people think MC and the other cake DAW's are supposed to work straight out of the box.... so to speak, and they will...IF.... you have the right sound card and set them up correctly.

Many beginners expect MC to work on a factory soundcard and refuse to believe that an upgraded card is needed to really get the most out of MC.... so they putt along with all sorts of problems.... trying this, trying that, nothing works and they post some bad press when all they had to do was take our advice, spend a few bucks and get a dedicated audio interface and they would have been golden.

BMI/NSAI

57Gregy
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/12 10:51:43 (permalink)
    Sorry! Didn't mean to frighten you.
    At least you have sound.
    Too bad about not having soft synths, but you can still use HS with the Yamaha making your sounds. I forgot to mention in my post above to select a patch name (instrument sound), or they'll all sound like piano. You probably figured that out though.
    If you were to have soft synths available with your current set up, meaning sound card, you would experience latency, which is a delay from the time the key on the Yamaha is pressed until the computer and soft synth/sound card processes and produces that sound. It could be as long as 1/2 sec and can get annoying and distracting while trying to record.

Greg 

lostandconfused
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/13 13:18:47 (permalink)
    Hello All,

OK.  Stop.  I give in. 

I've sucumbed to advice and ordered MC5 [due approx 7 days], despair not, your contributions here have got me way beyond the 'nothing' that I was
    acheiving(?) alone and you may even have infected me with a virus, [the Music Bug]. 
    I actually had some fun this morning [if only I could infect my grandchildren!]. 

As I'm going to be picking your brains over MC5 you may consider the next question redundant and prefer to save your time until MC5 is set up and that would be fine with me but ....if you must........having got the sound 'images' into a track they are playing back through the keyboard while imported loops play through my computer speakers.  If I turn the keyboard off the images remain but are silent. 

If you have a simple remedy, great, if you think I'd be better off waiting fine but having been bitten I'm just a bit 'itchy'.

"You probably figured that out though."  Me? figure something out?  yeah, right, the next time will be the first!

Just a last quick comment re soundcards.  My son-in-law just arrived [while I was typing this] he informs me that he could fit one for me and may even have a spare at home.

Now it's back to work.

Regards,

Vincent.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/13 13:32:39 (permalink)
    lostandconfused

Hello All,

OK.  Stop.  I give in. 

I've sucumbed to advice and ordered MC5

Just a last quick comment re soundcards.  My son-in-law just arrived [while I was typing this] he informs me that he could fit one for me and may even have a spare at home.

Now it's back to work.

Regards,

Vincent.

Very good.... I think you will enjoy MC5... and you ordered the boxed version..... excellent. Off to a good start.

On the sound card thing..... unless your son in law has a MUSIC RECORDING SOUND CARD at home..... no, that will not be a good thing.  A Soundcard (Interface as we call them) should be designed specifically to do music and  pretty much nothing else.  A lot of gamer cards are considered to be upgrades and they are.... from the factory cards, but they are not really designed to handle the massive amount of data and on board processing that an interface is expected to do.  Visit  Beagle's site, or the recording section of the on line music stores to get an idea as to what you will need to make MC5 work like it was designed to work.

sam ash

Fast Track Pro   audio & midi in one unit...$200

look around.

BMI/NSAI

splinx
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/13 18:14:56 (permalink)
    I registered almost solely to respond to lostandconfused, who has not been getting the simple answer to his original question, which is:

YES you most definitely can compose in and record directly from MC5 with no other software, hardware, or accompaniment necessary.

My situation is/was very similar to yours: I'm not a musician, can't play anything, can't carry a note in a basket, but I can compose music entirely within a Digital Audio Workstation like Music Creator 5.

I initially started out with Magix Home Studio 10 for this kind of work before I discovered MC3, which I found easier to control. I've just been migrating to a new pc, so I decided to upgrade to MC5, which was worthwhile.

I haven't tried BIAB, but I've been tempted. However, my advice is to avoid getting bogged down with any further hardware and software issues until you tame MC5 - not a big task, but a task nonetheless.

MC5 will do everything you want, but you must develop your own workflow, and learn to control the software to make it do as you wish, just like any other device to compress air and make sounds.

Start with the piano roll editor in MC5 (View, Piano Roll), and use the mouse to lay in notes, chords, or drum beats. Use the two yellow brackets up top to restrict the player to 4 or 8 bars at a time so you have a little loop going.

It makes sense to develop at least a click track or metronome type drum beat before perhaps adding a few thumps from the bass player. Get this going, looping over 4/8 bars, and then compose your melody and rhythms as you move from one seat to the next, composing for each member of your virtual band. Most of these tracks may start out as 'scratch' or stand-in tracks until you develop something better, the drum 'click track' for example.

Ask if you want help setting up virtual instruments.

Save often with a systematic file system - think of these as 'takes' - and build your tune. When you are ready to output to a WAV or MP3:

Edit, Select All,
    Edit, Bounce to Track
    File, Export, Audio

Don't forget to scroll down and delete the audio track you just saved; otherwise, it will interfere with further editing and mess with your head. I mention this because it is a common error for me.

Best wishes and Good Luck!
    87)

57Gregy
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/14 00:29:47 (permalink)
    Cool, splinx, that you signed up to help, and welcome to the forum.

Vincent, if your keyboard is turned off but you still want to hear the MIDI, and since you don't have any software synths, you can change the Driver Mode to MME in Options>Audio, and select the Microsoft GS Wavetable synth under Options>MIDI Devices as your MIDI device, and then you can use the synthesizer that's already in your sound card.
    But, it won't sound as good as the synth in the Yamaha. The MS GS Wavetable synth is why so many people make software synthesizers; it doesn't sound good.

Guitarhacker is right that probably the sound card your son has is close to the same as the one you already have. But even a Sound Blaster will be an improvement over the stock sound card, even though it's not designed for recording and playing back multiple tracks all at once. Plus, you can get a decent USB audio interface for around $100, that way you won't have to do any surgery on the computer.

splinx is also correct that you can spend some time learning the program before becoming infected with GAS (gear acquisition syndrome). If you use the Yamaha synth you probably won't have to worry about things like latency, which you will encounter using the stock sound card and software synthesizers in real time.

We'll be here to help when you have more questions.

Greg 

splinx
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/14 01:07:15 (permalink)
    Well, I'm going against the grain here a little, but I would advise those getting started with MC5 to delay fiddling around much with the audio card, at least until you complete the entire process of composing your song, recording it,  and burning it to audio CD.

Play the CD on a decent audio system and judge for yourself. 

I get very good results from my onboard sound cards. Demo quality at the very least.  The results are clean and pure with no distortion. Fire up Triple Cheese and listen to that cello.

Also, lest anyone forget, there's nothing stopping a real band from maybe playing this music someday.

If they hear your song and say, "Gee dude, if you'd burnt that tune with a better sound card, we might be interested..." THEN you might want to think about messing around with a possible headache and a guaranteed expense.

But if you just want to get your tune down, maybe grab the sheet music and head for Brill, I'd wager the onboard sound card will be all you need. Yep, MC5 creates (rough) sheet music from whatever MIDI tracks you have, no matter the source - axe, 88s, mouse, and of course, you can compose directly on the staff, if you are so inclined.

Currently, I have MC5 running on a very modest Windows XP Pro Systemax AMD dual-core desktop with onboard sound. I also still have MC3 running on an old Athlon 64 Win XP laptop with onboard sound. MC3 came with a MIDI USB adaptor and for a while I had an old rickety USB keyboard hooked up, but the latency problems soon found the keyboard stacked behind a door somewhere. The software still runs great on the old laptop, and there are a few older VSIs that won't run under MC5, so I may still want to go back to the old set-up sometime. Also, MC3 really has A Different Personality from MC5.

On that note,  I'll add a few words about Audio editing as opposed to the MIDI editing we do in MC5: Audio cuts, or loops,  can be combined in external audio editors like Acid, also one of my earlier stops. Of course, MC5 has both audio and MIDI tracks, so there are a number of different ways to work with music, audio and midi files, but audio tracks are best edited elsewhere.

A freeware program called Audacity allows some pretty good direct audio editing, mp3 burning, equalization, various filters and whatnot that are used in post-production work.

All you really need are MC5 and maybe Audacity to add fades and other postproduction effects to your songs.

With the current set-up I have, I like to work out of a fresh boot with no other software running and all unnecessary background tasks killed by Task Mgr. In that environment, MC5 runs beautifully. I have lots of VSIs, or virtual software instruments, and as your many helpers above have already noted, Cakewalk provides a lot of built-in functionality in MC5 with a host of software instruments ready to go. Beyond that, there are a myriad of freeware software instruments and effects which are easily added to MC5's already impressive capabilities.

So MC5 also serves as a host for virtual software instruments. These are simply *.DLL files that reside in a special folder in the Cakewalk directory. Use View, Synth Rack to add virtual instruments which can then be dropped into a MIDI track. There it will play whatever notes you lay down in piano roll. 

Nothing kills my creativity like futzing around with technical issues. Some people thrive on that stuff, but I just want to sit down and write a little ditty before the idea passes and my coffee gets cold.

This is not about performance, but about using MC5 to write music. If you want to play and strut your stuff and show your chops, then you may have to invest the time and money in a better sound card to overcome the latency issues inherent with having an external usb instrument plugged into MC5.

My comments here are directed toward the OP who - as I understand him - wants to get to work composing his music without spending any more money. MC5 can do that, so the straightest line to his objective is for Vincent to focus on learning to use MC5.

I speak from experience. I've already been down many of these sideroads and it's largely a waste of time, especially for someone who may not have time to burn.

Thanks to all the contributors here. If I come across like an expert with MC5, I hasten to add that I'm not. There's a lot about the software I don't know or understand, but again I emphasize that mastering a few relatively simple skills in MC5 can pay enormous dividends. This is exceptional software, a hidden gem, a true masterpiece for $50 that can put tremendous power in the hands of those with a little dedication.

lostandconfused
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/14 05:46:26 (permalink)
    Well, once again I am dumbfounded at the response to my cry of 'Help'. 

But before I go any further I must say that I only logged on to brag!  Before posting that last [anciliary] question about midi/computer playback I had spent 2 hours with a book and was unable to 'spot' the answer [I should also have been working on the house but shhh, don't tell the wife].  Anyway after firing off the request and going back to work I've just had another go at the tutorials [sumbitting 'random' questions] and to my total surprise I found the answer.  I immediately log on to brag only to find that once again, you 'beaten me to the punch' and supplied the answer.  But, nevertheless, as this may well be the only time I 'sort something out' if you've no objections I'm still going to give myself a 'pat on the head'.

I sure my son used the name 'Soundblaster' last night.  Having, unexpectedly, retired, any expense is a consideration.  Yesterdays impulsive action was the first time I've spent any money since,  ohh ..........1967, it was a Tuesday.

I'm [almost] looking forward to MC5 but I'm not daft enough to think it will be easy - not after this struggle. 

Duty calls.  Back to work.

Regards to all, [old and new],

Vincent.

Guitarhacker
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/14 07:16:12 (permalink)
    Vince.... this response is typical... you will get really good advice and from lots of people, all who are thinking about the way THEY would go about solving the issue you brought up.

Splinx ..... on the issue of the sound card. Even the factory card will give you a top quality rendition of the music.... it is after all digital at 44.1/16 which is CD quality. So as long as the synth, patch or sample you use is top quality (as opposed to a general midi voicing) you will get a quality recording.

That is NOT the big problem with the factory cards. The problem is the latency they have, and the processing power that the factory cards lack. It is difficult to get acceptably low levels of latency even running one synth on many of the cards...like Realtec, and sound blaster. 

I started with MC4 and I also bought a new laptop as well as a Saffire firewire interface....all at the same time, because I knew the factory Dell card was not suitable for recording in real time.

So... getting a capable sound card is very important. Especially if you are working with synths inside the box in real time. Without it, recording is frustrating with the latency, the clicks, the pops, the drop outs, and all the other irritations people experience on the factory cards.

Having said all that... yes it is possible to work on small AUDIO projects with minimal problems using factory cards. Quite a few are working like that.....however,  Pop in a soft synth, add too many tracks, or use too many FX and the problems show up pretty quick.

BMI/NSAI

splinx
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/14 09:39:16 (permalink)
    No offense, I hope, but I'm sticking tenaciously to my point:

Writing music on MC5 requires neither a better soundcard, nor any additional software, nor any additional purchases of any kind whatsoever (assuming you have a reasonably modern PC.) 

All that stuff is a distraction and an unnecessary expense and hassle for someone who just wants to get their tune(s) written. 

Some of us are on very limited budgets, and $100 is a lot of money

Most of the respondants here are musicians  - bless their hearts - whose primary interest is in recording live while they are playing (typically) a guitar or keyboard. That's all fine and well, but playing or performing is a distinctly different process from composing.

You probably do need BIG HARDWARE to play or perform, but not to compose

For composition, only simple tools are necessary: A piano. Haydn composed from the harpsichord, I believe, and I think he did OK. Much great music has been written which only requires 3 or 4 parts. MC5 will handle that with ease, and more.  

The beauty of MC5 and other similar music composition software is that you now have a staff of reliable robot musicians who will faithfully play each part you compose while you work on the other parts. You don't have to worry about your drummer not showing up or wandering off with a groupie. 

Nor do you have to spend any more money.

Beagle
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/14 11:16:36 (permalink)
    All that stuff is a distraction and an unnecessary expense and hassle for someone who just wants to get their tune(s) written. 

Some of us are on very limited budgets, and $100 is a lot of money

those are two completely different points.

I completely agree with you that if you cannot afford a better soundcard then you shouldn't spend money on it and you can make music with your onboard soundcard. 

latency, however, is a problem that cannot usually be overcome when using softsynths or FX real-time using your onboard soundcard.

if you can get by with your onboard soundcard and especially if you can't afford better then I am 100% behind trying to help people use what they have.

if you can't work with MC because of latency problems and can't resolve it using your onboard soundcard then you have to upgrade in order to overcome that limitation.

Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/14 11:18:27 (permalink)
    I have to agree with splinx in that you don't need to jump up and purchase a low latency sound card to compose using midi's. latency is only important if you need to hear almost real time and record at the same time. I used to do it often. I did, however, for a modest investment purchase a rather inexpensive Behringer USB interface which was less than $40.00 .  This has been a worth while investment for me in that the sound quality is much improved over the on board sound card, and the latency is actually decent enough to play back and record live.

I wouldn't recommend this path for many who have different aspirations, but this might be an affordable way to improve the quality of your music creation.
    post edited by Tap - 2010/07/14 11:20:47

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

57Gregy
    Re:Home studio v Music Creator - advice please. 2010/07/14 11:23:08 (permalink)
    I agree. The program will play whatever you put into it.
    But your computer/sound card combo may not be able to reproduce it. That's when you may need to consider a more efficient audio interface.
    Try your son's Sound Blaster, Vincent, see if it works better. I used a SB Extigy for several years. Plus, most SBs have their own embedded synthesizer for even more sound options.

Greg 

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1