A-500 S - For those of us that just want GOOD KEYS, are they good and have aftertouch?

Author
casiblake
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2010/07/26 15:00:07 (permalink)

A-500 S - For those of us that just want GOOD KEYS, are they good and have aftertouch?

I currently want to move up from a - very good but now no longer sold - E-MU X-Board 25, to a slimline 4-octave USB MIDI keyboard.  Currently, the only reasonably-priced solution with aftertouch, is the A500S.

So I have two questions:

1) Are the keys good?  The X-Board's are excellent, and I want nothing less from a new keyboard.
2) Do they have aftertouch.  This is vital to me.

I'd appreciate any responses guys, because the A500S is tempting me, if only because it's the only thing that'll fit on my desk and give me 4 octaves!

-CasiB.

3 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:A-500 S - For those of us that just want GOOD KEYS, are they good and have aftertouch? 2010/07/26 20:20:30 (permalink)
    Yes, it is velocity sensitive, and has aftertouch.
    As for the keys, it is supposed to have an improved keybed over the earlier versions.
    I have an Edirol PCR-M50, which the A500 is descended from.
    After four years of steady use, it still responds nicely to severe thrashing or delicate playing.
    When the day comes, I'll replace it with an A500, no questions asked.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    casiblake
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:A-500 S - For those of us that just want GOOD KEYS, are they good and have aftertouch? 2010/07/27 12:21:25 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply, Robert. That's an encouraging start. Anyone else have opinions?
    bvc
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re:A-500 S - For those of us that just want GOOD KEYS, are they good and have aftertouch? 2010/12/13 09:46:09 (permalink)
    Actually, upon further research, it appears that the A-500S does not have aftertouch. I never have seen more confusion about this feature than with this product. 

Some reviews mention that it has aftertouch, but absolutely nowhere on the official Roland/Cakewalk page or promo video does it mention that the A-500S has aftertouch - just velocity. They tout the aftertouch of the A-Pro series quite proudly, so clearly SOMEWHERE they would mention that the A-500S has it...

Good job Roland, you've released a controller identical to the Alesis Q49, CME M-Key, M-Audio Keystation 49, and countless products that were discontinued due to lack of interest in non-descript recycled garbage. Looks like the A-series follows the formula virtually every company uses in MIDI controller land: "Our last group of controllers sold moderately well, so let's revamp them in a new colored casing." 

The A-series is the Edirol PCR-X00 series recycled but in black, with differently placed pads, a sad omission of the cross-fader (hope you saved some money, guys), and some auto mapping that only works with Sonar (a program that out of all the DAW enthusiasts I know not one uses)... OH! And because they're new to the market they can charge double for them! (Yes, double, no exaggeration; I got my PCR-800 for $199 brand new.)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1