V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this stuff anymore.

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 9
Author
glrecordings
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 70
2010/08/31 02:35:16 (permalink)

V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this stuff anymore.

This is being sent to all magazines and websites in the industry. I will create a website dedicated to this particular problem and Cakewalk's unbelievable arrogance. I will post it when it is up and I urge all of you to post official and unofficial 'solutions' to this problem. If I get caught by Cakewalks Forum Police I will post it again. If they revoke my forum membership I will sign up again with different names.

LETTER TO THE PRESS (and Cakewalk)
I have used Cakewalk since the beginning of time and have always been very happy with it. I hung on when they changed to Sonar. Even now after moving to Europe where nobody has heard of Sonar – at least not before Roland got involved – I still hang on. I have a small music store here in Denmark and I have found myself recommending Sonar because I think it is a bit more intuitive than the others – especially in the beginner segment.

The introduction of V-Vocal was very powerful. It is a great tool, super easy to use, and it comes for free with the ‘top models’ of Sonar.

Unfortunately it doesn’t work.
Unfortunately Cakewalk is being arrogant and downright stupid about it.
They do not directly  admit there is a problem. They have a vague statement about ‘if you receive this error msg…’ with a lame attempt of a workaround that simply does not work in most cases. They say it themselves: ‘It has been known to resolve the issue’ – yes, they actually write that.  ([link=http://www.cakewalk.com/support/kb/reader.aspx?ID=20091009]http://www.cakewalk.com/s...eader.aspx?ID=20091009[/link] )

The problem is cronus.dll which is part of V-Vocals. The symptoms are very bad. 100% crash and you lose all your work. Sometimes a restart of the computer is required.

A scan of Cakewalk’s forum reveals that a good part of people actually using V-Vocals are or have been experiencing this problem. It also reveals Cakewalk’s lack of support and their really strange support policy. If a user gets a fix from Support they are not allowed to post it on the forum. At the same time Cakewalk does not post the ‘solution’ to the board. What they do seem to spend effort on is to remove posts that contain the solution. (I posted the ‘solution’ I got from Cakewalks support and that was ‘censored’ [link=http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=2024918</a></font></font></font>]http://forum.cakewalk.com.../font></font> ).

Maybe because they are so embarrassed over their ‘solution’ which is to uninstall everything and clean the registry and start over. Best case this means, over and above the uninstalling/cleaning, installing their version 8, then 8.1, then 8.3, then 8.5, then 8.5.1, 8.5.2 and then 8.5.3. It is PATHETIC. I went though that twice which takes most of a working day. It did fix the problem – temporarily!! Now after working with that for about a week suddenly the crash is back. No idea why – did not install anything – just attempting to make music.

This makes me really really mad. I have been  a paying customer of Cakewalk’s for 15+ years, I have gladly paid for every one of their ‘upgrades’ which in many cases was a fix release all dressed up and in other cases and new release with the usual sets of new headaches.

In my former life I was a QA executive at the biggest computer company in the world and I know that ignoring customers and belittling their problems is not the way forward – especially not when you are no longer the only game in town. I also know that sometimes it helps going to the press or the top of the company because all the little minions have a tendency to sweep stuff under carpet. However, the sweeping in this case is not that subtle so I suspect maybe the top is busy counting the money they got from Roland.

I am on my way to a different platform but it really irritates me that Cakewalk treat their customers this way. I hope you will have the time to contact Cakewalk on behalf of the Sonar user community – maybe the Press can apply the pressure for openness, support and maybe even a fix since loyal customers are not enough to pull that off.

I can supply many links to the actual problem but this thread says it all.

[link=http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1686823&mpage=1]http://forum.cakewalk.com...?m=1686823&mpage=1[/link] 

** Edited for grammer - thank to TWIGMAN for being so nice, helpful and friendly.

**A Mod changed the title to comply with the TOS**

253 Replies Related Threads

glrecordings
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 03:09:24 (permalink)
    www.v-vocal.com - under construction...
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 04:18:35 (permalink)
    Hi Greg, this is pretty hardcore what you are doing here. It obviously means a lot to you and its your right to go about it in whatever way you want within reason. Personally I have never had a problem in V-Vocal as my workflow is to work a single clip and then bounce before moving on, never having multiple clips open. I appreciate more hardcore users may want to work differently and encounter the documented problems.

Take a step back here, yes we all demand robust perfection from our software vendors, but such is the nature of the beast that all systems had limitations somewhere, and vendors have finite resources and competing priorities. If Sonar meets all of your other needs, but your use of this utility exceeds its current capability, then perhaps you could consider using a 3rd party alternative that works for you.

V-Vocal works for me, however Sonar Producer is marketed as a complete production system and yet the mastering tools in it dont do it for my particular requirements, so I use an alternative for that toolset.

I admire your energy in bringing this to Cake's attention, but isn't this negative energy going to be counter productive? just a thought.

I acknowledge that you and others have this as a genuine issue. The reason I felt compelled to reply to this, having spent much of my working and business ownership life in the software industry, is that this type of issue is one that is best raised, negotiated and handled through a working regional user group relationship. Looking through that particular part of the forum, I cant see how it works from there specifically, however I am sure there is an interface between the user group and Cakewalk and others will be able to point you in the right direction and channels. It seems to me that this should be the mechanism for issues like this, for a good, productive relationship between vendor and users working in an environment of mutual respect.

Garry Kiosk

EDIT: For clarity
    post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2010/08/31 06:03:08

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Twigman
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3667
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 04:39:58 (permalink)
    Greg

You seriously need to proof read that before you send it - spelling and grammar like that should go straight in the bin.

time and has always been very happy 
    store her in Denmark
    intuitive that the others
    Thye say it themselves
    takes the most of a working day - why the the?
    gladly paid for everyone of their  - in this instance everyone should be 2 words 'every one'
    In my former life I was an QA
    the biggest computer company in world  - in THE world

I may not have found them all but it's a start.
    Please learn about commas. There are many absent in that post

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 05:48:01 (permalink)
    glrecordings

It also reveals Cakewalk’s lack of support and their really strange support policy. If a user gets a fix from Support they are not allowed to post it on the forum.

These are standard terms and conditions and designed, not for any sinister reason, but in part, to make it difficult for non regesterd users (AKA pirates) to get support. Cakewalk is do not censor these forums heavily as any one can see reading the posts here. However a violation of T&Cs will result in a post being removed.
    I am not a V-vocal user so I can't comment on the fault but it looks like there are issues that need to be addressed, but are you sure this approch is really going to acheive anything?
    post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2010/08/31 05:51:25

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    starcorp
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 06:11:06 (permalink)
    i can understand you, these error stops me from working with sonar . and it was sonar 7.
    they didnt fix it in version 8 ?
     i expect nothing from your letter, but if it helps you...

regards jan

www.starcorp.de
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 08:32:56 (permalink)
    A scan of Cakewalk’s forum reveals that a good part of people actually using V-Vocals are or have been experiencing this problem

I think your supposition is incorrect. From what I've seen only a few people are having this problem. I think I had it a few versions ago, I followed the fix in the forum and have not had it since.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Sijel
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 487
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 09:49:39 (permalink)
    my workflow is to work a single clip and then bounce before moving on, never having multiple clips open.

I use this workflow as well and don't see problems.  I HAVE seen problems if you leave V-Vocal open and/or keep multiple V-Voval clips un-bounced.
    Here's what works for me:
    1. Break tracks into clips - editting at the silent parts. I find it's best to use the smallest clip duration that you need to get the job done.  I do NOT ever try correcting an entire track clip (but maybe that's because I use V-Vocal surgically or for effect).
    2. Save my project (!!!)
    3. Enable track layers on the track in question
    4. Create a V-Vocal clip using the right click menu option on the original clip. 
    5. Move that new V-vocal clip (which is by default ON TOP of the original clip) down using SHIFT-drag to an open layer.  You willl now see the original track with the red mute symbol (i.e., a crossed out O).  [Shift-drag keeps the clip aligned to the original clip.]
    6. Operate in the V-Vocal Editor to your heart's (or ear's) content
    7. CLOSE the V-Vocal Editor and IMMEDIATELY "Bounce to Clip" - this is very important!  If you leave this Editor open or don't bounce this Clip, you will most likely encounter a problem as you keep working
    8. Listen for a few times to make sure the new clip is ok... and then File...Save (use a new version number if you wish and add a comment on what track you V-vocaled.).   If you don't like what you heard, you can delete the V-Vocal track and unmute the original track...for perfect safety, you can close the project without saving and reload to your earlier version.
    This workflow has allowed me to make literally dozens of V-Vocal edits in a project (apparently, I don't sing as perfectly on pitch in recording as I do in the shower , though I've also used it for instrument harmony/pitch shifts & detunes). 

Sorry to hear of the OP's frustration... I've known that feeling in the past when I've lost V-Vocal stuff along with a bunch of clip edits and/or automations.  I'm hoping and assuming that V-Vocal will be further stabilized in v9.

Greg:  Try the suggestions above and from other forum members on V-Vocal workflow and please let us know if this helps.

Microsoft Surface Book w/ Surface dock, dual 24-inch HD displays,
    Sonar Platinum, THD 4, GuitarRig, Amplitube, (Kontakt4), Garritan PO, Trillian Bass 1.3,  Roland Octa-Capture, Waves Gold & various Waves, PSP and T-Racks plugins.

KRK Rokit6, Lefty Guitars & Bass, racks/pedals galore and many other fun things.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 12:20:56 (permalink)
    OMG, V-Vocal doesn't work?!? And I just used it last week! What happened since then? I'd better try it out right now and make sure it still works...

whew! It still works. You had me worried for a minute, gl.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    dontletmedrown
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1722
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 12:46:39 (permalink)
    Oh boy... I agree v-vocal is piss, but no way would I pay for a domain and spend so much time and energy on this when both Antares and Melodyne trounce it by leaps and bounds anyway.  I've never expected much from these freebie plugs that come with Sonar since there are so many hundreds of 3rd pary plug-ins that are so much better.
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 12:51:38 (permalink)
    bitflipper

OMG, V-Vocal doesn't work?!? And I just used it last week! What happened since then? I'd better try it out right now and make sure it still works...

whew! It still works. You had me worried for a minute, gl.

LOL....

Yeah it works, but i must say -- I have sympathy with the OP.  V-Vocal is testy, and difficult to finely control/tune.
    As Dontletmedown points out, there are alternatives that do a better job overall (though are not free).

I also agree that when CW/Sonar includes plugins, more often than not (in my opinion) they are sub-par compared to many 3rd party plugins that do the same thing.  VVocal is one example.

Usable?  sure.  Stressful?  Often.

To say it doesn't work is probably not accurate for us that it does work for -- but obviously the OP is not having a good time with it.

I, too, wouldn't spend so much energy on it in the manner the OP appears to be doing, but that's his choice.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    KeithS
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 13:29:19 (permalink)
    I had to check.  Farmers Almanac says moon is only 58% full today. 

Tried V-vocal once a long time ago.  Didn't like it.   Saved money on creating a V-vocal.com website.  Bought Melodyne.
    post edited by KeithS - 2010/08/31 13:40:18

Keith
    SONAR X1d Producer Expanded (64 bit), Waves Platinum  
    Home built PC Intel i7 2600K, ASUS P8P67 MoBo
    16 Gb RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
    TASCAM FW-1884
    EEE-1394 Legacy driver
    PNY GeForce GTX 560Ti graphics card 
    2 ASUS V249H LED Monitors.

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 14:19:47 (permalink)
    Glyn Barnes

glrecordings

It also reveals Cakewalk’s lack of support and their really strange support policy. If a user gets a fix from Support they are not allowed to post it on the forum.

These are standard terms and conditions and designed, not for any sinister reason, but in part, to make it difficult for non regesterd users (AKA pirates) to get support. Cakewalk is do not censor these forums heavily as any one can see reading the posts here. However a violation of T&Cs will result in a post being removed.
    I am not a V-vocal user so I can't comment on the fault but it looks like there are issues that need to be addressed, but are you sure this approch is really going to acheive anything?

I suspect pirates can get a lot of support from this and other user-to-user forums. If Cakewalk wants to cut them off, then they would have to remove most of the serious posts here. If that is in fact the reason for the "secrecy" of contact with support, I must say it is absurd and counterproductive reasoning. I suspect the reason a lot less easy to comprehend (for people not in support, legal or marketing departments)  than starving the pirates.

I agree that posting workarounds for common bugs to this forum is not something that Cakewalk should be doing. Rather they should be diligently updating the content and improving the search capabilities of their hosted support knowledge base so that people do not have to muck around here looking for common fixes.

The OP was able to find one such support posting relevant to his problem in general, but not apparently his particular version. Most of us will recognize that we try the workarounds posted by other forum members at our own risk and with no guarantee of success. Hence we have only our own gullibility in relying on the well-intentioned (though admittedly not infallible) advice of our peers to blame if the "fix" does not work or if it destroys our system or our data. If such "fixes" appear to be blessed by Cakewalk support, we are likely to blame them instead. Nonetheless, a policy of secrecy on communications with support seems a little absurd.

As to whether public shaming is an effective goad to diligent investigation of reported bugs, that remains to be seen. Your internet "reputation" and the scorn of your unsympathetic peers aside, there is the potential that this policy generally applied would so diminish the market for the product that no money is left for support at all. That seems pretty unlikely however, and there are obviously current customers so frustrated that they would prefer to bring back the stocks and flogging.
    Sijel
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 487
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 15:01:03 (permalink)
    both Antares and Melodyne trounce it by leaps and bounds anyway.

Possibly true... but I would point out that both Antares and Melodyne have issues of their own.
    As reference, check out the user reviews on Amazon for Antares Evo.
    And what about this thread from PT:
    http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/373688-melodyne-problems-protools-8-a.html

I've used Sonar's V-Vocal to correct pitch in commercial offerings.  It works just fine if you exercise a little care in your workflow... paying an extra $200-$300 for something that MIGHT do this pitch function slightly better is not a big value spend for me.  (BTW - I bought AutoTune v4 - so I have first hand experience).

Links:
    Proceeds from sales on the following links go to charities for children (I receive NO money from them)
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/a-hollywood-hooligans-holiday/id161290800
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-hollywood-hooligans-rock/id301081398
    If you're feeling philanthropic, go ahead and buy some tunes or albums from the Hollywood Hooligans.

Microsoft Surface Book w/ Surface dock, dual 24-inch HD displays,
    Sonar Platinum, THD 4, GuitarRig, Amplitube, (Kontakt4), Garritan PO, Trillian Bass 1.3,  Roland Octa-Capture, Waves Gold & various Waves, PSP and T-Racks plugins.

KRK Rokit6, Lefty Guitars & Bass, racks/pedals galore and many other fun things.
    glrecordings
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 16:09:07 (permalink)
    Twigman

Greg

You seriously need to proof read that before you send it - spelling and grammar like that should go straight in the bin.

store her in Denmark
    Thye say it themselves
    gladly paid for everyone of their  - in this instance everyone should be 2 words 'every one'

Thanks, that is helpful. Maybe I should just have written in my native language - then you could correct that too.
    post edited by glrecordings - 2010/08/31 17:02:36
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 16:35:01 (permalink)
    Was posting bout v-vocal.com being owned by Greg Larsen, only to realise it was you!... So you're making a hate website too?...

I haven't really had problems with it working well, I just think it doesn't sound great. Even when v-vocal is not correcting a clip, it still changes the sound and makes it sound crap. If I need to fix just one word in a take, I have to cut that word and apply v-vocal ONLY to that word, because if I do it to the whole clip and only edit the word, everything else sounds crap too - even though I didn't edit it! That's the biggest issue I have with it. It certainly needs to be re-vamped.
    post edited by mattplaysguitar - 2010/08/31 16:43:06

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

SmokeyJ628
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 809
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 16:50:12 (permalink)
    glrecordings

Twigman

Greg

store her in Denmark
    Thye say it themselves

Thanks, that is helpful. Maybe I should just have written in my native language - then you could correct that too. "#¤%&/

You're going to be very popular around here, I can tell.
    glrecordings
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 17:00:36 (permalink)
    So you're making a hate website too?...
    I am not making a hate website. I want to have a place where the info we might get from Cakewalk can be shared and commented on. I'd like V-vocal to work and I'd like for Cakewalk to acknowledge they have problem - hey, maybe even a few of us could actually supply debug info. I think they have bungled the support of this - it is so frustrating to have all these projects using V-vocal crash randomly after actually having worked for a while. And then just being told that you have to reinstall.

...TWIGMAN, let me know if there are any grammatical errors here!
    glrecordings
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 17:01:54 (permalink)

You're going to be very popular around here, I can tell.

Is it a popularity contest or can we focus on the problem at hand?
    post edited by glrecordings - 2010/08/31 17:18:41
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 18:26:05 (permalink)
    Light blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance.................. I'm getting the popcorn.
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 18:32:48 (permalink)
    Oooo,  popcorn....   brb

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

jimkleban
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1319
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 18:58:11 (permalink)
    Not to pile on CW here but the other day I was doing some work with my son (he used to use V-VOCAL all the time)....

On the latest version (8.5.3), it starts up and just hangs requiring a restart.  I researched the cronus.dll thing and enabled it in plugin manager thinking that we could get it to work.

No go... same issue... oh well. I have confidence in CW that they are working on a fix for this since so many users appear to be having problems (even though many users have no problem).

Jim

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
    www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
    Apollo Duo (via TB)
    UAD Quad
    UAD Duo
    WIN 8.1 x64 with 32 GB Ram
    4 SSD for programs and sample libraries
    Splat (latest version)
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 19:08:14 (permalink)
    ---as a minor side note:

Twigman,
    you pointed out that it should be, "...
    In my former life I was an QA..."

It's another instance of British versus American use of the language.  Nobody here follows this grammatical rule anymore, but I do - and it's the American version - In the case of this sentence, we would say "..I was A" instead of "an"--because "A" is used when the following word starts with a consonant.  "An" is used when the following word starts with a vowel.  So it would be "I was AN executive"--it only sounds right, to my ears anyway, since I was strictly taught this particular Americanized English rule (one no longer obeyed here).  But in this case, "I was A QA executive" is correct, because of the Q.

Carry on--just wanted to continue this cross-post sub-theme. 

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    snaporaz
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 43
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 19:26:17 (permalink)
    If I didn't buy Sonar for all the "free" add ins, what did I buy Sonar for?  I'm new to Sonar and DAWs in general and have been pulling my hair out with all the crashes and oddities.  I might be happier if I knew in advance what works and what doesn't.  Limit my options before I waste my time learning something that ends up not being reliable or usable in a meaningful way.  V-Vocal looked like a cool feature and was certainly on my list of pros for making, to my mind, this expensive purchase.  Sonar seemed like a great one stop music production program.  

I've had to add V-Vocal to my list of disappointments along with ACT, matrix view, Beatscape, and Session Drummer.  Admittedly, I may have jumped in over my head.  However, I just picked up a Maschine which duplicates much of what I wanted Sonar to do crash free on my PC and laptop.  Stable enough to play and jam live.    

I'll be watching for the next version of Sonar but it's going to take some serious arm twisting to get me to jump.   

I7-3930k
    ASUS P9-x79 pro
    16 RAM
    Windows 8
    Sonar X2 x64
    Komplete Audio 6
    K9 Ultimate

Guitarman1
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 380
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 19:36:44 (permalink)
    wow.. how many posts is he gonna make to bash cakewalk?  Dude move on, if you don't like it , or it is not what you expected, move on to another software, then if you don't like that, you can go to their forum and bash it, then you move on to another one so forth so forth. Not all software is for everyone. I have used many recording softwares, and you know what? The least amount of trouble i have had is with cakewalks software. Sure I have had some problems with 6.0 then to 6.2, but nothing is perfect.  As for V vocal, I have used many instances of it on many clips at once and never had any problems. I personally don't like it a whole lot, but every now and then I do use it. But instead of bashing it, how about first seeing if someone here has a solution, then if not , contact Cakewalk. They may not have one instantly, but they are pretty good at coming up with fixes. Heck, maybe I will go over to microsofts web forum and see how many times you have posted over there with all the fixes they had.
    dr.hash
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 20:33:52 (permalink)
    OK some negative stuff, it's not necessary.  I too have a couple of issues and I think it tends to be how much you load in the memory.  It only happens if I load too much into the memory.

Your opinion has been noted and your anger has been received, I suspect by the boy's upstairs but as I have said before:

If our machines (software worked perfectly, then we would be perfect because we design our machines and software in our own image).

It is like saying God made us in it's own image and so therefore we should be omniscient beings (like god) and we are not so God is not an omniscient being, I do believe in an idea of God but what ever god is it is not perfect, so we are not perfect and so our machines and software is not perfect.

If you expect perfection you will be disappointed.
    My Two Cent's for what it is worth!!!

I’m not being conceited or arrogant, I just want to give away the formula for turning lead into gold.
    Down with the false Gods. (Audio Schools)
    Viva la Revolution
    Sonar Forever, Pro Tools Never
    Ben B.C.T (Bachelor of Creative Technology)
    http://www.myspace.com/audiomystics
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 20:53:17 (permalink)
    GLRecordings-
        I for one sympathize with you but do not have the energy or time to fight such a battle to get V-Vocal 'unbugged'.  You have to understand, if you post any negative experience you have with Sonar in this forum you will get the usual rounds of "mine works fine, it must be you"..."your grammar is horrible which makes your complaint less credible"..."stop picking on my software and go somewhere else jerk!"

While this forum is filled with many helpful and knowledgable people, it is also filled with people who seem to take personal offense at any negative experience you may post with the Software.  The fact is most of us prefer using Sonar (which is why we are in the Sonar forums) but with any software there are bugs.  I am not of the opinion that the "free plug ins" contained within Sonar should not be any less stable than 3rd party plug ins.  Actually they should be even more stable and they are not free, they are included in the cost of the software.  As far as anyone indicating that it is only you having a problem with V-Vocal they are just blindly defending the software as explained above is par for the course here. 

The unstableness of V-Vocal is well documented on these forums and many people have experienced it.  Sometimes the "work arounds" are successful (IE bounce clips immediately, enable in the plug in manager, spin in a circle 3 times and sacrifice a chicken...etc) and sometimes none of those things work.  Maybe some people do not have a problem with it on their system but many others do, which leads one to believe the plug in is buggy somewhere along the line that should require review and update by Cakewalk.  (I'm hoping this happens).  I dont see threads that read "OMG Sonitus Compressor crashing my system!!!! or #$%^ TTS-1 constant crashes!!" ...but there are many V-Vocal threads.  Let's hope for an update to the plug in to make it more stable without workarounds so we can all enjoy it's benefits.  I like the plug in when it doesn't crash Sonar.

-Mike

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    A1MixMan
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1706
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 21:18:32 (permalink)
    I've been here as long as the OP, and am a faithful Sonar user. I too have had the same problems with V-Vocal. And basically I cross my fingers everytime we use it. But, if I follow the above suggestions, it usually works fine.

I hope this attention to the problem will lead to something good.

I heard Cakewalk isn't going to fix it, they just changed the name.

V-Chokel

:-)

A1
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 21:40:55 (permalink)
    I agree v-vocal is piss, but no way would I pay for a domain and spend so much time and energy on this when both Antares and Melodyne trounce it by leaps and bounds

Agreed...
    Once you've used Melodyne, there's no going back.
    I sympathize with the OP... but I sure wouldn't spend that amount of time/energy/resourses on V-vocal. 

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    BluesMeister
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    Re:V-Vocal cronus.dll CRASH - OPEN LETTER - I am not gonna take this s*** anymore. 2010/08/31 21:47:58 (permalink)
    I had problems with V-Vocal and Sonar 8.5.3, whenever I tried to create a V-Vocal clip, Sonar would crash. I contacted Tech Support and they steered me through several procedures until the issue was resolved. I will not post the procedure because I respect that it's confidential information.

Frank

BluesMeister
    5 guitars, 1 amplifier, 3 pedals
    Asus P8P67LE, i7 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD
    Win7 Home Premium 64-Bit SP-1
    Sonar 8.5.3 64-Bit, RME HDSPe AIO
    Spendor BC-1 Studio Monitors
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 9
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1