Envelopes and Tracks stuck/corrupted??

Author
devilcat78
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
2010/12/08 00:53:52 (permalink)

Envelopes and Tracks stuck/corrupted??

So, lately I have moved to mixing ITB and I've noticed some strange things with Sonar, particularly envelopes.

I work at a studio where we use a Digital Console(Yamaha 02R96), and for a very long time we have been odd/even panning our mono tracks to get discrete playback through the console via ADAT pairs since Sonar PE 6.0. I know we can use mono I/O, though the input menu is long enough right now as it is(48 channels), and my boss is never great with change...

My problem is, when I get the tracks back to my house for mixing, I set the pan back to center and the track is still panned hard left or right. Why? It happens with or without envelope offset mode on. I usually just create a new track, move the audio and plug ins, and it's fine, but that gets real old, real quick.

Another related problem, I am working on a new mix and noticed my kick drum sounded weak no matter what I did with processing, and almost non-existent with no processing(though the meter is clipping), so I made a new track and copied the audio to it with the same settings, and viola! the original kick drum! What would cause this?

Also, what's up with envelope/offset mode? Why would i want my fader set @ -4db, and the envelope stay @ 0 or vise-versa??? Makes no sense to me, and gets on my last nerve when I want to do some automation and my envelope is set @ 0 while my fader is @ -15db. I would think that if you move your fader to -10db, the the envelope you create for automation would appear @ -10db.

5 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Envelopes and Tracks stuck/corrupted?? 2010/12/08 11:13:09 (permalink)
    There is no panning information embedded in a mono track, so if you're hearing the track panned after importing, you must be importing stereo tracks. See if you can't export the originals as mono. If you can't, then convert the tracks to mono inside SONAR and then pan appropriately.

No theories about your kick drum track. It sounds like some kind of phase cancellation problem. Like maybe you were bringing in a stereo track and the channels were not in phase. Don't ask me how that might happen, though.

Offset mode lets you adjust parameters up and down while retaining the relative values of each node. It's a good thing, even if most of us don't use it (except by accident sometimes).

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    devilcat78
    Re:Envelopes and Tracks stuck/corrupted?? 2010/12/08 12:20:16 (permalink)
    Yeah that's what makes this a weird problem. I am not importing anything, these are mono tracks recorded in the session. None of the tracks were stereo to begin with, and stereo tracks suffer from the volume issue as well. As for the kick, if I had phase cancellation it would have been evident in tracking. It's just a weird bug. Thanks for the advice.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Envelopes and Tracks stuck/corrupted?? 2010/12/08 15:43:05 (permalink)
    So you mean that you record with SONAR at the studio, copy the project to a CD, take it home and open in SONAR, and the pan settings have changed? That would indeed be a "weird bug".

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    dontletmedrown
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1722
    Re:Envelopes and Tracks stuck/corrupted?? 2010/12/08 16:28:09 (permalink)
    Ok, I was stung by this last week.  I autotuned some tracks and froze them, then copied/dragged the frozen audio to a new track and suddenly they were playing only out of my left monitor.  Turned out the track interleave was the problem.

If you are dragging and dropping all of these files into the Sonar edit view, it will assign their outputs to the default bus and set the track interleave to stereo.  Yes, even though the tracks are mono, Sonar still assigns the interleave as stereo.  Double-check the track interleaves to make sure that is not the problem.
    devilcat78
    Re:Envelopes and Tracks stuck/corrupted?? 2010/12/08 17:52:48 (permalink)
    I actually use a hard drive, but no settings have changed, I want to change them and I change them, but the changes have little or no effect.

Signal flow is from Sonar:
    Ch1 Kick Left------->Ch1 02R96
    Ch2 Snare Right--->Ch2 02R96
    Ch3 Snare Bot Left--->Ch3 02R96
    Ch4 Hat Right------->Ch4 02R96
    Ch5/6 OH Stereo---> Ch5/6 02R96
    Etc.

The above chart is how we are able to record/playback mono and stereo audio to our console, without getting too technical. All interleave buttons are set as they should be, mono tracks are hard panned left and right to split the output pairs(Sonar sees ADAT signal as 4 stereo pairs 1-2. 3-4, etc)

No dragging and dropping, all of the audio was recorded into the session, and I create new tracks with the same settings and move the audio.

What I am simply trying to do is pan the mono tracks center to mix ITB, after tracking where we are setup to playback ALL tracks from Sonar on their same channel on the console via ADAT connections (MOTU 2408mk3).

When I pan these tracks back center, they stay panned left or right. The volume issue is probably related, since moving the data to a new track with the same settings cures the problem.

It also occurs when I want to change a hard panned mono track to a pan center stereo interleave track. I can change the input to stereo, pan to middle, make sure stereo interleave is on, disarm and arm record and input monitor with no effect, the right channel will not play through, even though the input meters on the console have signal, Sonar will not see the stereo signal until you make a new track and set it up from scratch. Just weird.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1