Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
hillsc
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 65
2010/12/08 09:16:10 (permalink)

SONAR X1 First Impressions

Pros:
  • I like the looks of the new interface a lot. This is definitely a game changer.
  • It sure is a far cry from Home Studio 4 XL!
  • And, biggest of all, this might be just what I need to recharge my amateur recording career.
Cons:
  • I don't actually have it in my possession yet.

Looking forward to the d/l email today!   :)

Charlie

35 Replies Related Threads

EyjolfurG
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/08 15:34:17 (permalink)
    The new way of edting track envelopes is just super good

Eyjolfur G.
    chrisharbin
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1852
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/08 15:50:32 (permalink)
    Cons:

-I don't have any mousewheel support on the channel strip
    -It's fiddly graphically so far. Again, this is most noticeable on the channel strip
    -No PDF (other than the user guide?)
    -allot of pops and clicks when turning stuff on and off (again, channel strip)
    -feels sluggish when controlling parameters/knobs/buttons

I'm sure I'll have more to report later, I have to go to the doctor and get an adjustment

i7 860/MSI mobo/8GB ram/win7x64ultimate/X2/profire 610/oxygen 61/running 48k currently.
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/08 17:13:43 (permalink)
    Biggest impression: Its so different, its like I have to learn it all over again. I'm looking forward to that, but right now, I'm looking for a tutorial or video to help me bridge from Sonar 8.5 to X1.

Unexpected stuff: I see Studio Instruments has been included and something called Cakewalk Sound Center.

This new interface cries out for a widescreen or dual widescreen display though. Hope my wife read my Christmas wish list... 

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    awal
    • Total Posts : 106
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/08 17:26:24 (permalink)

May be I better run to the store and order me a nice wide screen then, I saw a 27 inches LG screen yesterday for 395€.

Thanks for the warning

awal
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/08 17:59:55 (permalink)
    daveny5

Biggest impression: Its so different, its like I have to learn it all over again. I'm looking forward to that, but right now, I'm looking for a tutorial or video to help me bridge from Sonar 8.5 to X1.

Unexpected stuff: I see Studio Instruments has been included and something called Cakewalk Sound Center.

This new interface cries out for a widescreen or dual widescreen display though. Hope my wife read my Christmas wish list... 

If your experience is anything like mine, you'll go "WTF?!?!" for 30 minutes, then start to settle in, and then start thinking that the new interface makes a lot more sense. Now when I go back to 8.5, I get disoriented...

A dual monitor is ideal, but once you get into the show/hide aspects, you'll find it's not that bad. Actually I think the X1 interface is far better suited to a laptop than 8.5. For example, I have console on show/hide so I click to have it take over, click again to make it go away.

Hang in there...they made mostly the right decisions about having changes be more logical, not less so. Still not thrilled with the control bar, but am really into the other UI changes.
    alexisrael
    • Total Posts : 130
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/08 18:05:56 (permalink)
    "Unexpected stuff: I see Studio Instruments has been included and something called Cakewalk Sound Center"

Congratulations! Cakewalk Sound Center is a Music Creator belonging, so, I appreciate making me smiling/laughing, as the major Cakewalk product gets updated with an entry level software synth. 

P.S. I enjoyed Cakewalk Sound Center for long, but for a month or so prefer to substitute it with another instance of Dimension PRO

Why I love Sonar?

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?high=&m=2001059&mpage=1#2001998

No longer impressed by Alan Parsons/Led Zeppelin tone. With tools from Cakewalk I can make more impressive sound. Should I compete? No.
    hillsc
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/08 21:35:29 (permalink)
    My free "order" has almost been placed!

I'm getting oh so close to that download.

I hope.  :)
    hillsc
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/08 21:59:46 (permalink)
    Order placed, serial numbers received, just waiting for that download link to appear!
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/08 22:01:08 (permalink)

If your experience is anything like mine, you'll go "WTF?!?!" for 30 minutes, then start to settle in, and then start thinking that the new interface makes a lot more sense. Now when I go back to 8.5, I get disoriented...

Well, I'm far from that revelation. Its going to take me quite awhile to adjust to this new GUI. Maybe when I have some time to mess with it on the weekend. I'm just a hobbyist and have a very full time job. This is going to be quite a learning curve, one I think I'll welcome, but for now I'm a bit daunted.

The good news is I loaded and played a few old projects and they worked without any problems.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    hillsc
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/08 22:13:37 (permalink)
    I'm not getting that coffee mug, am I?

chrisharbin
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/09 00:21:40 (permalink)
    hillsc

I'm not getting that coffee mug, am I?

LOL! Though I'm sorry you are having to wait that long

i7 860/MSI mobo/8GB ram/win7x64ultimate/X2/profire 610/oxygen 61/running 48k currently.
    nickclube
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/09 04:04:54 (permalink)
    After a day of working with X1, I'm far from convinced that it's an improvement on 8.5.3, it's just a slightly different workspace. It still takes ages to load and close projects and is still crashing now and then in Windows 7 64 bit.
    Pro Channel is a great idea but early usage seems to suggest that you can't simultaneously use Sonitus or third party plugins in the effects bin of channels where you want to use Pro Channel.

A day is too short a time to give a fair assesment and I hope the product grows on me, but I don't yet feel the same instant excitement or "Wow, how did I ever live without this?" factor I have with earlier seminal Cakewalk and Sonar releases.

And where on earth is the pdf manual?!
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/09 04:17:29 (permalink)
    nickclube

After a day of working with X1, I'm far from convinced that it's an improvement on 8.5.3, it's just a slightly different workspace. It still takes ages to load and close projects and is still crashing now and then in Windows 7 64 bit.
    Pro Channel is a great idea but early usage seems to suggest that you can't simultaneously use Sonitus or third party plugins in the effects bin of channels where you want to use Pro Channel.

A day is too short a time to give a fair assesment and I hope the product grows on me, but I don't yet feel the same instant excitement or "Wow, how did I ever live without this?" factor I have with earlier seminal Cakewalk and Sonar releases.

I'm runnign under Win7 64-bit and working with large projects at times. They don't load any slower than 8.5 and are in fact very quick. None of us have seen this so I'd suggest looking into this deeper. There must be some factor that's making this happen but I sincerely doubt it's X1 inherently. Have you compared the same project loading time with 8.5?

Regarding the ProChannel, you absolutely can use any plugins you want in the FX bins in addition to the ProChannel. The ProChannel doesn't hinder your usage of plugins in FX bins in any way.

What are you seeing that is stopping you from using plugins in FX bins? Maybe we can help.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    LJB
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1502
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/09 04:26:46 (permalink)
    t still takes ages to load and close projects .....
    nickclube

Not to go THERE again, but have you ever seen how long Prostoolz HD takes to load a song? Several weeks, or perhaps even longer.. :O)

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
    --------------------
    Cakewalk
    with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

chrisharbin
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/09 17:00:50 (permalink)
    Prostoolz

Lol!

Fess
    • Total Posts : 94
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/09 17:20:22 (permalink)
    Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
    ]

nickclube

I'm runnign under Win7 64-bit and working with large projects at times. They don't load any slower than 8.5 and are in fact very quick. None of us have seen this so I'd suggest looking into this deeper. There must be some factor that's making this happen but I sincerely doubt it's X1 inherently. Have you compared the same project loading time with 8.5?

Regarding the ProChannel, you absolutely can use any plugins you want in the FX bins in addition to the ProChannel. The ProChannel doesn't hinder your usage of plugins in FX bins in any way.

What are you seeing that is stopping you from using plugins in FX bins? Maybe we can help.

You can help by answering his question about the pdf manual.
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/09 17:37:20 (permalink)
    Fess

Keep it up.

I've answered the question about the pdf manual over and over and in various threads. The manual exists in CHM format and is the full manual. Cries of "there is no manual" are incorrect and repeated questions about the same thing that has been answered over and over are just..well...pick whatever word you want.

And there IS a pdf manual for all new features. It's there. In your account/

A pdf version of the full CHM is being prepared to my understanding.

I'll tell you this, if no pdf format manual is actually stopping you from using SONAR X1, then I seriously don't have any advice for you.

Now can we put this to bed and get on to the actual software.
    post edited by Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk] - 2010/12/09 17:39:05

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/09 19:09:07 (permalink)
    Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
    ]

Absolutely, Brandon.  I was guilty of a few intemporate comments on this issue, and I apologize.  While I can only speak for myself, I suspect others reacted the same due to a combination of frustration at actually getting our hands on X1 (2 minute web page refreshes tends to do that) and disappointment in finding all that effort did not produce a manual.  But if a manual is forthcoming, then we can adjust our expectations accordingly.  The videos I've watched of the new X1 UI features has got me very excited, and I'm extremely pleased with much of what I've seen so far.  Clearly others are also passionate ... and that's ultimately a good thing.

Peace. 
    mikespitzer
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 300
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/09 19:33:38 (permalink)
    I have not upgraded.

But I sat for a few hours with a friend who did upgrade his system.

First impression .....

I think X1 is a glimpse of the future for people who CREATE music inside their DAW systems.
    This definately appears to be where Cakewalk and SONAR is heading in terms of marketplace.

This new version of SONAR seems to be making the DAW more and more of a MUSIC CREATION software and less of a MUSIC RECORDING software.

I think this is still the biggest distinction (even more now) between PRO TOOLS and SONAR.

I get the impression that SONAR's community of users keeps adding more and  more people who never use any real instruments of any kind, but usual MIDI, samples, loops and virtual instruments to CREATE music totally INSIDE the DAW.

Even though SONAR can of course handler audio ..... I feel more and more people RECORDING MUSIC from outside the DAW still tend to gravitate towards PRO TOOLS or older SONAR versions.

Obviously both systems can handle either type of project ........... but somehow all the changes in X1 looks to be almost totally dedicated to the people creating music inside their DAW with tons of loops, MIDI, samples, etc...

I respect Cakewalk for what they have accomplished here (based on what I saw today)

Even if for me personally, SONAR 8.0 is more user friendly and productive for the type of work I personally do.  (real bands and musicians - audio only).

My only MINOR gripe is nit picky only ..........  ugghhhh .... I hate that default pale gray and aqua blue color scheme that looks just like Presonus Studio One.

My first action if/when I upgrade in the future (after a year or two to iron out the glitches) will be to change those awful color schemes.
    bitman
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4105
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/09 20:05:35 (permalink)
    I record only audio here too. Other musicians on real instruments.

I still will have good old 8.5 which has served us all well and X1 was free to me anyway.

I still have not installed it. Circumstances have not permitted the time.
    But I do have the files on DVDs.
    Fess
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/09 21:30:44 (permalink)
    Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
    ]

Fess

Keep it up.

I've answered the question about the pdf manual over and over and in various threads. The manual exists in CHM format and is the full manual. Cries of "there is no manual" are incorrect and repeated questions about the same thing that has been answered over and over are just..well...pick whatever word you want.

I'll tell you this, if no pdf format manual is actually stopping you from using SONAR X1, then I seriously don't have any advice for you.

*Yawwwwwwwwwn*
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/09 21:34:11 (permalink)
    Fess

Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
    ]

Fess

Keep it up.

*Yawwwwwwwwwn*

I'll take that as a yes.

A1MixMan
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1706
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/09 21:40:49 (permalink)
    Fess,

I see you registered here right around the time X1 was announced. Are you here just to stir up sh*t? Maybe you're from another forum for another DAW and want to just be pain. I hope that's not true as how pitiful would that be?

A1
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/09 21:53:54 (permalink)
    So far I like what I'm seeing. I like the eq in the pro channel. The compressor seems like it's not doing anything though I've only spent little time on it. Still going over things while trying to finish a project.

When will we ever get smooth scrolling wav, staff, prv views? As one who reads the staff from my midi file as I play it, it would make life SOOOOOOOOOO! much easier.

I notice the staff view has problems that seem like an easy fix. Sometimes it is notated wrong. Say you have a c# but it's written Db. A one click enharmic option would be cool!

So far so good though!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Fess
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/09 21:55:29 (permalink)
    Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
    ]

Fess

Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
    ]

Fess

Keep it up.

*Yawwwwwwwwwn*

I'll take that as a yes.

Can I please get at least an eta on a pdf reference manual-like Producer 8.5 has? The help manual is not the same as a printable, full pdf manual. And the manual you're talking about?
    This is what it says under About This Manual:

This manual provides basic information about how to install and set up SONAR and make initial
    settings and system setup. It also provides tutorials to help you get started.

I skimmed through it. It's very very basic. I know X1 is deeper than that. This a far cry from 8.5 pro wouldn't you say?

SONAR also includes complete documentation in an HTML-based online Help system.

Can you point me to this? Maybe I can print it off.

None of my music systems are connected to the internet, so I could use one of my other computers if I can get the manual online. I'm ccol with that if I can print it off. Is there a link to the HTML?
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/09 22:03:11 (permalink)
    Fess

Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
    ]

Fess

Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
    ]

Fess

Keep it up.

*Yawwwwwwwwwn*

I'll take that as a yes.

Can I please get at least an eta on a pdf reference manual-like Producer 8.5 has? The help manual is not the same as a printable, full pdf manual. And the manual you're talking about?
    This is what it says under About This Manual:

This manual provides basic information about how to install and set up SONAR and make initial
    settings and system setup. It also provides tutorials to help you get started.

I skimmed through it. It's very very basic. I know X1 is deeper than that. This a far cry from 8.5 pro wouldn't you say?

Can you point me to this? Maybe I can print it off.

None of my music systems are connected to the internet, so I could use one of my other computers if I can get the manual online. I'm ccol with that if I can print it off. Is there a link to the HTML?

Hit F1. It's all there. F1 has always accessed the complete built-in help in SONAR. And it's bigger than what came with 8.5. It's in the SONAR folder as well. C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\SONAR X1. In there is a 30mb complete help file. You could even right-clickon the SONAR icon and select open file location and it's right there for you. And you don't have to be connected to the internet to read it.

Perhaps the fact that you have not accessed this file has something to do with your discontent. Also, is there some particular topic you are looking for help with. Perhaps someone can help you or forward you the text, etc.

Susan G
    • Total Posts : 12016
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/09 22:04:08 (permalink)
    Hi Fess-

Can you point me to this? Maybe I can print it off. None of my music systems are connected to the internet, so I could use one of my other computers if I can get the manual online. I'm ccol with that if I can print it off. Is there a link to the HTML?

I don't have X1, but with previous versions it's been in the SONAR program folder.  Look for something like a "SONAR.CHM" file -- that's a compiled HTML help file.  It's only "online" in the sense that you can bring it up within the program, but you can also double-click and "run" it to view it separately, no need to be on the internet.

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
    SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
    RogerS
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/09 22:07:08 (permalink)
    Hi Susan,

He knows full well where the manual is. He's already pushing his point in other threads, and he's been directly answered by the Cakewalk folks.

Now we're just feeding the troll.

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
    downsouthstudio
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1122
    Re:SONAR X1 First Impressions 2010/12/09 22:13:26 (permalink)
    I record mainly live audio too.....using midi mainly for click track.

I would really like a version of Sonar 8.5.3 with the Pro Channel.
    Maybe Cake could create a Pro Channel add on.

Im wondering how big the download would be without all the virtual instr and midi data.

SONAR X1b Producer, one monitor
    RME-FF800
    Intel Quadproc, 12 gig mem
     2-UAD-1s,UAD-2
    Mojave MA-200,4033,57s,58s)
    JBL LSR4326P's,
    Transport controller 
    Axiom 65 keyboard 
    LA-610mkII pre/comp
    Roland elect drums
    Guitar wall

MY STUFF