Question for Sonar X1 (already asked for Sonar 8.5) but things are not the same now...

Author
DjiDoe
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 155
2010/12/08 20:20:34 (permalink)

Question for Sonar X1 (already asked for Sonar 8.5) but things are not the same now...

Is it possible to create a Track Folder within a Track Template ?

When I create a Track Folder and save to a Track Template, I'm not able to retreive that Track Folder when I try to insert that Track Template. All tracks are stacked in the main track window.

Hope I'm clear, sorry for my English.

Carpe Diem

10 Replies Related Threads

DjiDoe
    Re:Question for Sonar X1 (already asked for Sonar 8.5) but things are not the same now... 2010/12/09 07:06:46 (permalink)
    Bump

Carpe Diem
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re:Question for Sonar X1 (already asked for Sonar 8.5) but things are not the same now... 2010/12/09 07:30:23 (permalink)
    Nothing new on track folders. If you couldn't do it in SONAR 8.5 you wont in X1.
    You can't save folders in track templates.
    You can however save a whole arrangement of folders and tracks sorted however you like as Templates on which to base a new project.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    benstat
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 972
    Re:Question for Sonar X1 (already asked for Sonar 8.5) but things are not the same now... 2010/12/09 07:32:44 (permalink)
    I just tried to open a cwt file which contains a single track folder, and a VSTi within it, and it opened OK.

[Edit: I think I may have misunderstood.]
    post edited by benstat - 2010/12/09 07:33:55

My DAW: Intel i5, Cakewalk UA-1G, Win7 64 bit, SONAR X1a Producer 64 bit
    Freddie H
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:Question for Sonar X1 (already asked for Sonar 8.5) but things are not the same now... 2010/12/09 08:43:49 (permalink)
    DjiDoe

Is it possible to create a Track Folder within a Track Template ?

When I create a Track Folder and save to a Track Template, I'm not able to retreive that Track Folder when I try to insert that Track Template. All tracks are stacked in the main track window.

Hope I'm clear, sorry for my English.

First off SONAR 8.5 and products before that has little, "how to do things" with new SONAR X1. Its a new way of working and new GUI layout.  The concept and the center is the new "browser". Instead of saving as track templet, save all the folders and tracklayout as Project or project templet instead. Then you just drag and drop it directly from the Browser..

Many wonder if you can float the browser and other views. Yes, I use the browser floating view myself...  

Regards
    Freddie
    post edited by Freddie H - 2010/12/09 08:45:42

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:Question for Sonar X1 (already asked for Sonar 8.5) but things are not the same now... 2010/12/09 09:27:50 (permalink)
    mudgel

Nothing new on track folders. If you couldn't do it in SONAR 8.5 you wont in X1.
    You can't save folders in track templates.
    You can however save a whole arrangement of folders and tracks sorted however you like as Templates on which to base a new project.

I think you are wrong on this (in SONAR 8.5.3 and earlier.)  Track folders can be included in track templates.  The key to having them appear is check a menu option that says to include the folder when opening a track template.  If someone else doesn't chime in, I will try to give you the recipe for finding the menu.

I would imagine that this would be included in X1.  I'll try to make certain of that later.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Question for Sonar X1 (already asked for Sonar 8.5) but things are not the same now... 2010/12/09 10:32:31 (permalink)
    Wow. Has this feature been removed? It's not mentioned at all in the X1 help.  Here's Sonar 8.5 help:
    To Insert a Track or Tracks from a Template

Select Insert > Insert From Track Template > [track template name] or select More Track Templates if you don’t see the one you want on the menu.

Or

Right-click in the Tracks pane and select Insert From Track Template > [track template name] or select More Track Templates.

This inserts tracks that are exactly like the template. If you don’t want to use all of the track characteristics that are in the template, you can filter the characteristics that you don’t want by selecting Import Filter from the pop-up menu. This opens the Track Template Import Options dialog, which allows you to specify what track characteristics you want to import.

And here's X1's help:
    To insert a track or tracks from a template

Select Insert > Track Template to open the Import Track Template dialog, then select the desired track template.

Or

Right-click in the Tracks pane and select Insert From Track Template > [track template name] or select More Track Templates.

This inserts tracks that are exactly like the template.

The whole section about the Import Filter has been removed from the help, and I can't find anywhere to set "Import Track Folders" in X1.  Looks like they removed this feature.

DjiDoe
    Re:Question for Sonar X1 (already asked for Sonar 8.5) but things are not the same now... 2010/12/09 16:49:22 (permalink)
    Please read this old thread about my old problem...

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?high=&m=1843226&mpage=1#1843253

I cannot find anyhting about Import Filter in SONAR X1 (on creating Track Template)

It is possible to create Track Folders in Track Template in Sonar 8.5 but what about Sonar X1 ?

Mod Bod and tarsier I think you've got my point... 

Any idea on this ?

Carpe Diem
    Dave Modisette
    Re:Question for Sonar X1 (already asked for Sonar 8.5) but things are not the same now... 2010/12/09 17:15:42 (permalink)
    I was just able to create a Track Template in X1 that contained a Folder.  I used the Browser to DnD it into a project and the folder was included.  The Import Filter is missing in X1 but it seems that including Folders is toggled "on".  This is a relief.

My music.
    Dave Modisette
    Re:Question for Sonar X1 (already asked for Sonar 8.5) but things are not the same now... 2010/12/09 17:24:35 (permalink)
    I am getting inconsistent results with the inclusion of a folder in a track template.  I have to make sure that I have selected the tracks I want and then also make sure that the folder is selected before I save it as a Track Template.  I'm going to investigate this and see if I can come up with the recipe that makes it fail.

FWIW, I noticed that the browser doesn't update when a new template has been created or deleted.  I can understand why that might be intentional but I think it would be nice if it did update if the playback engine wasn't running.

I also think it would be cool to select the tracks you want and then just DnD them into the browser and be prompted for a name to create a Track Template.

EDIT:  I think I see what the issue may be.  If you create a Track Template and it includes a Folder with a Name, the next time you drag that template into a project and there is a Folder by the same name, it will drop the tracks into the previously created folder.  This will make you think that the folder has not been created.

So, I am satisfied that Track Templates with folders is working as intended and there is no problem.
    post edited by Mod Bod - 2010/12/09 17:39:24

My music.
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    Re:Question for Sonar X1 (already asked for Sonar 8.5) but things are not the same now... 2010/12/09 17:49:10 (permalink)
    Track Templates are currently ignoring folders. It's being fixed and will be available in update. It bothers me too.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1