Pro Channel compressors compared to their hardware counterparts (with examples)

Author
Razorwit
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
2010/12/08 23:25:56 (permalink)

Pro Channel compressors compared to their hardware counterparts (with examples)

Hi folks,
A while back I mentioned that I happen to own both of the hardware compressors that the Pro Channel seeks to emulate and a bunch of folks asked me to do some quick comparisons.  I ran a quick drum mix and a bass guitar through both prochannel and my hardware versions and have posted wav files so you can compare:

http://www.xmission.com/~razorwit/CompTests/CompComparisons.zip

Once you D/L the zip file you'll find clean, 1176HW (HardWare), 1176PC (Pro Channel), SSLHW and SSLPC versions of both the drum phrase and bass git phrase.  Have a listen and see what you think.
Drums are Superior Drummer 2 and bass guitar is Scarbee Pre Bass through Amplitube 3.  You can see the hardware I used here:

http://www.xmission.com/~razorwit/CompTests/hardware.JPG

It's the SSL Bus comp in the X-rack below the monitors and the 2-1176 in the rack below the mic on the left.  I tried to match attack, release, and amount of gain reduction as best as I could without spending too much time on it, but of course there will be some differences.

Edit:  One more note.  I didn't really do much level matching, so to avoid the "louder-is-better" bias, import the individual tracks into a DAW and then make sure you adjust so that the volumes are all as equal as you can make them.  Also look up Fletcher-Munson if you haven't already :)
Thanks Jose for the reminder.
I'll see if I can post an example of the HW SSL and ProChannel SSL on a full mix a bit later as well.
Dean
post edited by Razorwit - 2010/12/09 01:34:03

Intel Core i7; 32GB RAM; Win10 Pro x64;RME HDSPe MADI FX; Orion 32 and Lynx Aurora 16; Mics and other stuff...

7 Replies Related Threads

Living Room Rocker
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 675
    Re:Pro Channel compressors compared to their hardware counterparts (with examples) 2010/12/08 23:47:37 (permalink)
    Great, dude!  Now you ruined it!  Who's gonna get X1 now?  Dang, ProChannel was my only hope.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker
    livin' in a van down by the river
    jamescollins
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    Re:Pro Channel compressors compared to their hardware counterparts (with examples) 2010/12/08 23:48:33 (permalink)
    Thanks for taking the time to do this, will download once I've finished with X1...

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    A1MixMan
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1706
    Re:Pro Channel compressors compared to their hardware counterparts (with examples) 2010/12/08 23:51:07 (permalink)
    Can't wait to check this out. DL'ing now.

Thanks!

I've never said this to a guy before, but Nice Rack!

A1
    Jose7822
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10031
    Re:Pro Channel compressors compared to their hardware counterparts (with examples) 2010/12/09 01:18:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for the files Razor.  But this test is already flawed due to level mismatches.

I think, based on what I heard so far, that one could get pretty close to the hardware counterpart with a bit more time tweaking the settings.  And again, matching the levels is crucial, otherwise the louder files will fair better (and they do).

Take care!

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Windows 7 Professional (SP1) x64
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400
    Frontier Design Alpha Track
    Studio Logic VMK-188 Plus

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonarHD
    Scott Lee
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:Pro Channel compressors compared to their hardware counterparts (with examples) 2010/12/09 01:23:37 (permalink)
    I agree with ya Jose.

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 
    Song Composer / Engineer / Audio Director

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhee

Razorwit
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1235
    Re:Pro Channel compressors compared to their hardware counterparts (with examples) 2010/12/09 01:30:30 (permalink)
    Hi folks,

Glad you like the examples and hope you're finding them useful. 
    Oh, and A1MixMan...um, my eyes are up here :)

Jose, yeah, the louder is better thing is certainly possible with these...I took only a cursory stab at equalizing volume.  My hope was that the folks here were aware of the bias towards louder (yay Fletcher-Munson!) and would import these tracks into a DAW (say, Sonar for example) and then do an adjustment for volume as appropriate.  In any case, you raise a good point.  If I can manage to figure out how to edit my original post I'll include a bit about needing to equalize volume.

Dean

Intel Core i7; 32GB RAM; Win10 Pro x64;RME HDSPe MADI FX; Orion 32 and Lynx Aurora 16; Mics and other stuff...
    Freddie H
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:Pro Channel compressors compared to their hardware counterparts (with examples) 2010/12/09 02:21:50 (permalink)
    Hardware sounds more light... I don't know but it seems that you drive it thru harder with PRO CHANNELS comp, giving it more compressor. Overall the "sounding" of the compressors sound the same...not the files....

As you perhaps already know, the graphical level meter of the compressor doesn't work correctly yet. Graphical bugs. For some users like me, it doesn't work at all?

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1