Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Robin Kelly [Roland]
Genuinely Swell Guy
  • Total Posts : 571
2010/12/13 18:08:51 (permalink)

Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips

SONAR has always had powerful drag and drop capabilities but now SONAR X1 has taken this a step further. You can drag and drop just about anything in SONAR X1 including Track Templates and projects.

When you are ready to record a vocal track you can simply drag and drop a template from the Browser to an empty area of the track view. The template will automatically load and create the proper number of tracks, busses and patch all the effects for you. This is a real time saver.

You can create your own Track Templates for future use. All you have to do is select the tracks you want and then right click on them and select “Save as Track Template”. Now all the selected tracks, effects and busses will be saved as one single preset.

Don’t forget that Track Templates can also include soft synths, audio tracks and MIDI tracks. SONAR X1 comes with many Track Templates to get you up and running quickly. If you are upgrading to SONAR X1 all of your existing track templates will migrate to SONAR X1 and you can drag and drop them into new and existing projects!

As an added bonus you can drag existing projects into other projects. This is extremely useful if you are arranging an album, working on audio for video or comping projects together for remixes and mash ups.

Robin

That's my blog
Omnia illa et ante fiebant, Omnia illa et rursus fient.

33 Replies Related Threads

Jose7822
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10031
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/13 18:49:32 (permalink)
    Another tip is the ability to double-click an instrument instead of drag & drop.  Much faster :-)

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Windows 7 Professional (SP1) x64
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400
    Frontier Design Alpha Track
    Studio Logic VMK-188 Plus

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonarHD
    Robin Kelly [Roland]
    Genuinely Swell Guy
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/13 20:01:55 (permalink)
    Jose7822

Another tip is the ability to double-click an instrument instead of drag & drop.  Much faster :-)

Nice on Jose!!!

That's my blog
    HumbleNoise
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2946
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/13 20:24:04 (permalink)
    I LOVE the browser and really didn't think I'd like it that much. Drag session drummer track template in - create drum track. Drag DimPro bass in - create bass track. Drag in True pianos - create piano track.

Really powerful and fast.

One thing that I'm sure is on your list though is to drag and drop folders WITH the track templates - no fun creating a folder each time for all those drum tracks.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/13 20:27:08 (permalink)
    Yep, the Folders not dragging in with Templates issue is being looked at and should be addressed in a future update.
    cornieleous
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 809
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/13 20:48:58 (permalink)
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
    ]

Yep, the Folders not dragging in with Templates issue is being looked at and should be addressed in a future update.

Awesome! Any word on nested folders?
    Jose7822
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/13 21:44:37 (permalink)
    cornieleous

Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
    ]

Awesome! Any word on nested folders?

Please, pretty please :-)

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

MUSE
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 173
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/14 03:49:44 (permalink)
    Replacing a plugin by drag and drop should also be a priority
    Freddie H
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/14 03:55:43 (permalink)
    Thanks Robin!
    Please add more Tips in this threads, thank you!

*** Did you know! Helpful thread about SONAR & SONAR X1***
    Can Moderate move "*** Did you know! Helpful thread about SONAR & SONAR X1***" to this X1 Section or make it Sticky?
    Thanks in advance!

I have added your tips here-------->  http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=2159160

Best Regards
    Freddie
    post edited by Freddie H - 2010/12/14 03:59:01

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/14 13:00:07 (permalink)
    Jose7822

What am I doing wrong, I wonder?  When I double click an instrument, it stays in the browser, and I'm able to change its name - that's it.  If I try to drag an instrument into the workspace - nothing happens.

--?

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/14 13:17:13 (permalink)
    Because you are double clicking in the synth rack not the plugin browser. To insert a NEW synth double click its name in the plugin browser tab.

BTW there is an exhaustive shortcuts list for the browser listed in the new fine print which is linked at the top of the forum. There is even a gesture to drag and replace the contents of an existing effects bin by holding down the ALT key when dragging. Not exactly replacing a single plugin but its a step in the right direction. Full synth replace is something we definitely have planned. Its easy we just don't have enough hours in the day to get to all these details. Now when is somone going to write a real time expansion plugin? :)
    post edited by Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] - 2010/12/14 13:20:40

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    rbowser
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/14 13:34:13 (permalink)
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk
    ]

Because you are double clicking in the synth rack not the plugin browser. To insert a NEW synth double click its name in the plugin browser tab.

BTW there is an exhaustive shortcuts list for the browser listed in the new fine print which is linked at the top of the forum. There is even a gesture to drag and replace the contents of an existing effects bin by holding down the ALT key when dragging. Not exactly replacing a single plugin but its a step in the right direction. Full synth replace is something we definitely have planned. Its easy we just don't have enough hours in the day to get to all these details. Now when is somone going to write a real time expansion plugin? :)

Ah!  Thanks, Noel - Now that's simple enough, and works great, either dragging or double clicking.  I thought we could drag from the synth rack since it's there in the browser window.  I get it now.

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    cmusicmaker
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2328
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/14 13:44:51 (permalink)
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk
    ]

Love the Fine Print Mind Map. 

Nice tip with Alt for FX replacing. Slick.

Individual FX and Synth replacing would still be great though. I think Project 5 had both and I have missed both since.

mpop
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/14 13:56:49 (permalink)
    When I drag a synth into a Audio Track from the Browser and then try to select that synth in a Midi Track it does not show up and I can't select it.  But if I right click and insert as I have done before It's there and I can select and use it. Am I doing something wroung or is this a BUG?

Thanks
    mpop
    rbowser
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/14 14:00:57 (permalink)
    mpop

When I drag a synth into a Audio Track from the Browser and then try to select that synth in a Midi Track it does not show up and I can't select it.  But if I right click and insert as I have done before It's there and I can select and use it. Am I doing something wroung or is this a BUG?

Thanks
    mpop

Mpop, you don't drag a synth into an audio track, you just drag it into an empty space in your work area and the tracks for it are automatically inserted as per your insert dialogue choice.  Or you double click it and all that happens.

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    mpop
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/14 14:14:22 (permalink)
    Thanks, but I can't select it in my output drop down in any midi track
    rbowser
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/14 14:20:58 (permalink)
    mpop

Thanks, but I can't select it in my output drop down in any midi track

Hmmm, well you're doing something wrong.  Take a step back and make it easy for yourself - When you first insert a synth, make sure in the "Insert Soft Synth Options" dialogue, you have it checked that you want a MIDI track and an Audio track to be inserted along with the synth.  Those tracks will be automatically connected to the synth for you.

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    MUSE
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/14 14:39:26 (permalink)
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk
    ]

Thanks - that will be good - it's replacing instruments I'm most interested in though - not effects.
    MUSE
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/14 14:41:30 (permalink)
    cmusicmaker

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk
    ]

Love the Fine Print Mind Map. 

Nice tip with Alt for FX replacing. Slick.

Individual FX and Synth replacing would still be great though. I think Project 5 had both and I have missed both since.
    Me too - P5 had the neat feature where you could just rightclick on a plugin and bring up a replace menu. It also had proper instrument tracks, not the current compromise version

rbowser
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/14 14:46:48 (permalink)
    MUSE
    ...It also had proper instrument tracks, not the current compromise version

Hi, Muse - I don't know what that part of your post means.  --?

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Jose7822
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/14 18:48:27 (permalink)
    rbowser

MUSE
    ...It also had proper instrument tracks, not the current compromise version

Hi, Muse - I don't know what that part of your post means.  --?

RB

He means that all the parameters of an actual Instrument Track do not show up with the current implementation, since it is a compromise of the old and the new way.  To see all the parameters available to a synth, one needs to split the Instrument Track into it's Audio and MIDI counterparts.  Apparently, Project 5 did have a proper Instrument Track implementation, which would be nice to have.

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

candlesayshi
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 694
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/14 19:23:55 (permalink)
    Jose7822

To see all the parameters available to a synth, one needs to split the Instrument Track into it's Audio and MIDI counterparts.
    In the new Inspector the audio and MIDI track options of an Instrument Track are available at the same time... or are you taking about something else?

Jose7822
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/14 23:10:51 (permalink)
    candlesayshi

Jose7822

To see all the parameters available to a synth, one needs to split the Instrument Track into it's Audio and MIDI counterparts.
    In the new Inspector the audio and MIDI track options of an Instrument Track are available at the same time... or are you taking about something else?

OK! I knew I was missing something (clicking on the MIDI tab). 

I see that Cakewalk added all the missing parameters from previous versions this time, cool!

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

eratu
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2856
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/14 23:35:04 (permalink)
    Yeah, that was a bonus feature -- I  like that aspect too. :)
    Robin Kelly [Roland]
    Genuinely Swell Guy
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/15 15:38:54 (permalink)
    Additional info:

You can drag and drop...

Effects to tracks and clips
    FXChains to Tracks and clips
    Audio to tracks and the Matrix
    MIDI to tracks and the Matrix
    Step Sequencer Patterns to the Step Sequencer
    Video files to the track view (I like to drop to the video thumbnail track)
    Track templates
    Soft Synths to blank areas of the track view (tip turn off ask me every time on Insert Soft Synth options and things will really speed up)
    MIDI FX to MIDI Tracks and clips

I think I got everything.

Robin

That's my blog
    candlesayshi
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/15 15:42:56 (permalink)
    Robin Kelly [Cakewalk
    ]

Effects to tracks 
    I can't get this to work for some reason. I seem to be able to only drag effects right to an FX bin. 

Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/15 16:04:03 (permalink)
    First thing I tried was (I crossed my fingers and hoped) dragging a midi clip into the browser to see if I could get around doing an groove clip export.  No luck.

That would be sweet if it had worked.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    candlesayshi
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/15 16:16:37 (permalink)
    candlesayshi

Robin Kelly [Cakewalk
    ]

Effects to tracks 
    I can't get this to work for some reason. I seem to be able to only drag effects right to an FX bin. 

Ah, nevermind, I got it. It only works on audio tracks, not instrument tracks. 

dwcaldwell
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 234
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/15 18:54:15 (permalink)
    Hey Robin,

Is there any chance of enhancing the drag and drop functionality to include all audio file types importable through the File|Import|Audio... dialog (flac, wma, aiff, etc.)?

For instance, I import a lot of flac files through that dialog, but can't drag them from Windows Explorer into an audio track in X1. The cursor changes in the track to indicate that it is a drop site, but no conversion or importing occurs. And the browser won't display any of these files. I guess the browser's file type filter is set for just mp3 and wav files as far as I can tell.

Regards,
    Don
    Dale Aston
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1204
    Re:Drag and Drop from the Browser - Quick Tips 2010/12/15 19:50:39 (permalink)
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
    ]

Seth -

It would be a great help for users on the board to have a daily log of verified issues being reviewed by Cakewalk.  It would help us to know whether an issue has already been reported so we (and you) don't have to go through filing a problem report form.  It would also give users some comfort to know that you have acknowledged the problem.

Dale

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1