All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them.

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 9
Author
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
2010/12/24 12:33:21 (permalink)

All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them.

I can't be sure but I am reading the manual and I can't find anything taken out of X1 that we had in Sonar 8.5.3. I ask this because it has been stated repeatedly that things were taken away. So what were they?

Best
John

240 Replies Related Threads

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 12:57:53 (permalink)
    I don't think I've found anything actually taken out. Moved or performed in a different manner, yes. Taken away? Nothing discovered so far here. **

** Excludes anything that is a bug/oversight such as key mappings for MCU........
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 13:04:31 (permalink)
    Separate snap setting for TV and PRV.  This one is killing me and it's the only thing I've seen so far that I would consider a major shortcoming in X1.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

John
    Forum Host
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 13:16:35 (permalink)
    Thanks FBB. I understand that the way X1 does things is very different now and that is what prompted me to post this. Because I believe I have been misled by posters here that don't say that but instead maintain that a function or an ability is no longer in this X1 version. 

I am not talking about work flow changes but that X1 was a dumbed down version lacking many things that Sonar had. This was worrisome to me.

Yet what I am seeing over all in posts is an unfamiliarity being mistaken for no longer able to accomplish goals.

To me this idea that we would be getting a less capable Sonar then we had before is the single most irresponsible kind of posting I have ever seen. It needs to be called out if it isn't true. I wonder why anyone would want a potential X1 buyer be given this kind of information.

It is either a case of sheer ignorance or it is a deliberate tactic to undermine   the confidence with CW and its users base. Either way it needs to stop.

I suggest that people here assume that what was done in 8.5.3 is still doable in X1 but that more time is needed by them to find out how it is now done.

Here the RTFM mantra is more critical then it has ever been.

Best
    John
    yorolpal
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 13:17:27 (permalink)
    +1 on separate Snap setting...why they did this is hard to fathom.  While you still can change "some" colors many are "baked" into the GUI...PLUS...where in most all previous iterations of Sonar all but a couple of colors would change instantly so you could see how they looked before committing to them, now many if not most don't change until you have closed Sonar and reopened it.  Again...hard to fathom. 

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    Katie_Katie
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 557
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 13:19:13 (permalink)
    Fair question.

For me, it is not that something is missing (and I don't count the Lexicon - no big deal for me), but the transparency of interaction with the user as provided across all Sonar versions until the X1.  A small example is the record button on the track.  For years I have looked for, and then clicked, the "R" button to arm a track.  It is habit, it is ingrained, "R" means "record".  Not now, it is a red dot.  The "R" does something completely different.  Will I get used to it, yes.  Does it bother me, you bet.  Others are right click menus, where is the tap tempo?, and a host of other "little things" that did not make it to this GUI as-is from the previous version(s). 

So to answer your question, what was removed?   Transparency of use.  But I can get past that(read:re-learn) in time, but I would have preferred plug-n-play(read:produce). 

post edited by Katie_Katie - 2010/12/24 13:23:40

Katherine  

brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 13:20:52 (permalink)
    Why does the forum always choke on the most-difficult-to-reproduce posts?  

Here's what you get instead of my thorough listing:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->  <configuration>     <system.web>         <customErrors mode="Off"/>     </system.web> </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->  <configuration>     <system.web>         <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>     </system.web> </configuration>

John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 13:25:08 (permalink)
    Katie_Katie

Fair question.

For me, it is not that something is missing (and I don't count the Lexicon - no big deal for me), but the transparency of interaction with the user as provided across all Sonar versions until the X1.  A small example is the record button on the track.  For years I have looked for, and then clicked, the "R" button to arm a track.  It is habit, it is ingrained, "R" means "record".  Not now, it is a red dot.  The "R" does something completely different.  Will I get used to it, yes.  Does it bother me, you bet.  Others are right click menus, where is the tap tempo?, and a host of other "little things" that did not make it to this GUI as-is from the previous version(s). 

So to answer your question, what was removed?   Transparency of use.  But I can get past that(read:re-learn) in time, but I would have preferred not to so.

Yeah, that's my current GUI redesign objection. For example, instead of Volume and Pan symbols, we now have text saying Volume and Pan.

Neither one is better than the other, but for a long term user, the abilty to read the scheme at a glance has been given an entirely unnecessary extra bit of settle in time, and makes switching back and forth between this and previous versions (which I'm sure many of us are doing) less immediate than it could have been.

Not a major gripe, but it does seem a bit pointless and odd.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 13:30:32 (permalink)
    Brandon if I remember correctly said those issues Ol Pal will be address in a later patch. Again though I don't see how that will effect the ability to produce a hit record. The snap to grid issue in particular may be viewed as a bug in previous versions. CW as I understand it was trying to have consistency between views.  Maybe this was a plus and something that could be reimplemented or optional.   But different snap to grids in various views seem awkward to me.

Best
    John
    gothic.angel
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 572
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 13:32:21 (permalink)
    John T

Katie_Katie

...So to answer your question, what was removed?   Transparency of use.  But I can get past that(read:re-learn) in time, but I would have preferred not to so.

Yeah, that's my current GUI redesign objection. For example, instead of Volume and Pan symbols, we now have text saying Volume and Pan.

Neither one is better than the other, but for a long term user, the abilty to read the scheme at a glance has been given an entirely unnecessary extra bit of settle in time, and makes switching back and forth between this and previous versions (which I'm sure many of us are doing) less immediate than it could have been.

Not a major gripe, but it does seem a bit pointless and odd.

Same here...

The point being, features NOT removed, but "scattered" all around... 

far as I'm concerned:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2172559
    post edited by gothic.angel - 2010/12/24 13:33:41

GothicAngeL - EBM - Dark Electronics

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 13:37:04 (permalink)
    See the TV snap to and PRV snap to setting thing isn't gettting to me 'cos of screensets.

Each screenset has it's own 'snap to' setting so I set up the PRV in one with it's snap setting and have the TV arranged in another. I mean there's so many possibilites with 10 screen sets it's mind boggling. Anyway I jump between the screensets at the push of a button effectively changing snap to settings as I go.

And I know someone is going to say I want the PRV view & TV open together, well you can still do that have 2 screensets with identical layouts but different 'snap to' settings. I for one can't click in both windows at the same time, although I don't doubt someone will claim to be able to soon.

The switch between screensets is as quick as I can move a mouse from one monitor to another and my setup is getting a little dated.

Lateral thinking of the possibilities available with screensets is the key. free your mind......... (I need to lay off the lager.... )
    yorolpal
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 13:42:13 (permalink)
    In my TV I generally keep my Snap on "Measure" as I'm mostly cutting and pasting Chrouses and Verses and such.  I switch to "Absolute Time", of course, when editing audio clips.  In my PRV however I'm almost always on eighths, sixteenths or their triplet siblings...because these are the most ubiquitous units I'm editing individual notes to.  When moving back and forth as much as I do between views it's good to know what my Snap is set to in both.  Many...many...many's the time in the new setup I've done some editing in PRV jumped back into TV and tried to some editing only to see I'm using the wrong Snap setting...this can be maddening especially if I'm unknowingly set at absolute time...cut and paste a chorus and verse or two and then realize they are all just a tick or two off.  In any case, for many of us, Having different Snap to Grids seems better. 

Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 13:51:23 (permalink)
    yorolpal

In my TV I generally keep my Snap on "Measure" as I'm mostly cutting and pasting Chrouses and Verses and such.  I switch to "Absolute Time", of course, when editing audio clips.  In my PRV however I'm almost always on eighths, sixteenths or their triplet siblings...because these are the most ubiquitous units I'm editing individual notes to.  When moving back and forth as much as I do between views it's good to know what my Snap is set to in both.  Many...many...many's the time in the new setup I've done some editing in PRV jumped back into TV and tried to some editing only to see I'm using the wrong Snap setting...this can be maddening especially if I'm unknowingly set at absolute time...cut and paste a chorus and verse or two and then realize they are all just a tick or two off.  In any case, for many of us, Having different Snap to Grids seems better. 

Screensets are your answer yorolpal. Once set up you can have different snap to settings, instantly accessible at the press of a button..........
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 14:02:28 (permalink)
    Screensets are your answer yorolpal. Once set up you can have different snap to settings, instantly accessible at the press of a button..........

Yes - but that requires an extra click.  If the PRV and TV had different snap settings (as before), it's one less click (ie, you don't have to first change screensets) ;)

Btw, another thing X1 changed ...  my 8.5.3 icon moved over one slot in the quick launch area :P

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 14:10:00 (permalink)
    "... I can't find anything taken out of X1 that we had in Sonar 8.5.3..."

Here's one - The ability to re-order tracks in the Console View.

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 14:21:24 (permalink)
    rbowser

RB

Good point, plus the ability to read the track name in narrow view, plus the number of sends available, in fact - less said about the CV the better..........
    stickman393
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1528
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 14:22:03 (permalink)

>> Please list all the things missing from X1 that were in 8.5.3

• On/Off buttons in the Synth Rack. 
    • Readable routing labels (look at the In/Out selectors and tell me if you can what the **** it's pointing to without the tooltop or dropping down the list)  
    • Pan/Vol/Gain controls distinguishable by color in the TrackView strips (this might be a bug that will get fixed but we don't really know for sure yet)
    • Distinguishable Vol/Pan envelope colors in the TV Clip Pane when in normal "clip" edit mode
    post edited by stickman393 - 2010/12/24 14:25:48
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 14:27:21 (permalink)
    stickman393

If you undock the browser or put the browser in the multidock they appear, kind of begs the question why aren't they there all the time though.
    ba_midi
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 14:27:40 (permalink)
    FastBikerBoy

rbowser

RB

Good point, plus the ability to read the track name in narrow view, plus the number of sends available, in fact - less said about the CV the better..........
    I think the opposite.  The more we - as a user base - point out our needs, the better.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 14:29:00 (permalink)
    stickman393

• Readable routing labels (look at the In/Out selectors and tell me if you can what the **** it's pointing to without the tooltop or dropping down the list)  
    • Pan/Vol/Gain controls distinguishable by color in the TrackView strips (this might be a bug that will get fixed but we don't really know for sure yet)
    • Distinguishable Vol/Pan envelope colors in the TV Clip Pane when in normal "clip" edit mode

A separate, expandable, floatable SYNTH RACK so one can see the assignable controls without having to be locked into the multidock or browser that puts some constraints on the view of it.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

John T
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 14:32:52 (permalink)
    Am I being dumb, or is it impossible to move the synth rack out of the browser? Not loving that.

Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 14:33:15 (permalink)
    ba_midi

FastBikerBoy

rbowser

RB

I think the opposite.  The more we - as a user base - point out our needs, the better.

Yeah I agree, the "less said the better" bit was tongue in cheek, the whole CV is a bit of a disaster, not that I use it that much but all the same.........

Have CW promised it'll be fixed or did I dream that?
    John T
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 14:34:52 (permalink)
    I quite like the console view, it's only really the narrow mode that's a problem IMO.

John T
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 14:36:39 (permalink)
    FastBikerBoy

They're re-instating the ability to rearrange the order of tracks, but don't know about anything else.

ba_midi
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 14:38:52 (permalink)
    John T

Am I being dumb, or is it impossible to move the synth rack out of the browser? Not loving that.

This is a good example of supporting the concept of how people use the software and either know, don't know, haven't found out yet about something within the software.   And it helps point out the need for better choices.

Here's the scoop on the Synth Rack.

It is PART OF the Browser now.  Locked in.  No way out.   So if you want to move ONLY the Synth Rack - that's a no go.

Furthermore, as I've pointed out elsewhere, if you do resize the Synth Rack view within the Browser (to see the important assignable controls and on/off buttons, for example) you're, in essence, widening the ENTIRE Browser.

You can mutlidock the Browser and then see the Synth Rack wide.  But then you lose the ability to have a more streamlined browser (ie, docked on the right, for example) because you then give up seeing the Synth Rack as you might prefer.

See the problem(s) ?   That takes away some functionaliity and workflow for me personally.  Others have agreed.  I suspect you (now) do.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

yorolpal
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 14:40:01 (permalink)
    John T

Yup, it's stuck in the Browser for now.  Hope they change that in X1b.

ba_midi
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 14:40:24 (permalink)
    FastBikerBoy

ba_midi

FastBikerBoy

rbowser

RB

Yeah I agree, the "less said the better" bit was tongue in cheek, the whole CV is a bit of a disaster, not that I use it that much but all the same.........

I think you dreamed that :(   But I agree.  It's not that the CV is my 'most used' view, but I DO use it and DO depend on it for certain things.

I cannot use it now. It just does not work well for my personal work flow.  Not as is.  If they improve it, that'd be sweet.  Will they?  No one knows.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

JenksTer
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 14:41:38 (permalink)
    The 'Save' and 'PRV' buttons.
    ba_midi
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 14:41:59 (permalink)
    John T

FastBikerBoy

They're re-instating the ability to rearrange the order of tracks, but don't know about anything else.

That's a start (if it's so).  But far from 'good', imho.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

metal_bassist
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 111
    Re:All those that say that X1 has removed things that were in Sonar 8.5.3 please list them 2010/12/24 14:45:32 (permalink)
    Toward the top in TV choose "Custom". You can enable Pan/Vol?gain and more from there.

DAW: SX3ePE / Win8.1pro x64 / i7-4770K / Z97 Extreme6 / 16GB G.Skill DDR1600 / Samsung XP941 / Intel 730 240GB Audio Drive / Kingston V300 Series SSD x2 / Hitachi 2TB ext (Backups) / EVGA GeForce 1GB GTX460 SE

Mixer n Monitors: Presonus SL16.4.2/JBL LSR4326/M-Audio BX8a

Keyboards: Korg Kronos73

Pedals: POD H500X/POD X3 Live/TC VL2

Basses: Tobias Growler 5/Tune TWX5 & TWB43

Guitars: Line6 JTV89F/Ovation El Ac Gtr

Mics: SP C1/SM58/other mics

Drums: Alesis DM10 StudioKit w/ AD2 & Superior Drummer 2.4
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 9
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1