How can I recover track files after crash? - SOLVED!!

Author
ChuckC
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1488
2011/01/17 23:38:47 (permalink)

How can I recover track files after crash? - SOLVED!!

This is far beyond frustrating.....  I had this computer built & loaded with sonar 8.5.3 by professionals who do just that for a living, Ithe machin has never seen the internet....  ever.   & yet tonigh was the 3rd time I have worked for hours only to have it crash & lose everything I did for the entire session.  I would normal be cursing & throwing stuff, but I think I am pissed past that point somehow.....

When this happened the 2nd time, my big loss was a midi drum track I had recorded & been editing for hours.  about an hr on the phone with cakewalk support elped me get the midi file back from safe mode & pasted into the project again.

This time it was 4 different guitar tracks & about an hour or so of mixing & tweaking, I was listening & looking at the console view (as I was in the other two crashes) when lines started to roll from left to right across the screen & stopping about 3/4 of the way across.  (this same phenomenon happed the two previous times too)    couldn't stop the audio engine & it continued to playback until the audio was done, then the error message appeared & sonar closed when I clicked out of it.    
  I had recorded both a "chuck Mic'd" & "chuck DI" guitar tracks aswell as for our other guitarist chad "chad Mic'd" & chad Di"   which the DI in for guitars I had never done before.  So after the crash I searched for files "chad DI" & found WOV files by that title under something like C:cakewalk/projectfiles/picture.....   but they won't reload into the project.

I am going to snap if I can't somehow recover this crap.   I realize that after the other 2 times I should save more frequently...  but a software system capable of 50+ tracks & synths shouldn't crash with 21 audio tracks (a FEW FX plugs) & 1 instance of session drummer for the one midi track......     So, saying "you should save more often" is in my eyes tant amount to telling the guy who just left the dealership & is now stuck on the roadside that he should do more vehice maintenance.

Thanks for any help you can offer.  I swear, I am not the D!ck I come off as here.  Just angry.
post edited by ChuckC - 2011/01/20 08:19:01

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
http://www.everythingiam.net/
http://www.stormroomstudios.com
Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios

28 Replies Related Threads

Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/01/18 04:28:07 (permalink)
    Hi, Chuck,

Man, that really sucks, I feel your pain!

If you can't open the project in safe mode using the shift key, and you have hopefully been using "per project" audio folders, then maybe you can create a new project and then import in the audio files that you recorded from the original project.

The files that you say you found are only the "picture" files of the waveforms for the tracks, the actual audio files should be in a folder named similarly to C:\Cakewalk Projects\Song Name\Audio\.  If you haven't been using "per project" audio folders, then they would be in a folder similar to C:\Cakewalk Projects\Audio\.

Just for the record, I learned to always hit the "Save" button after every single recording take when I moved to a DAW from analog tape, because I figured I can always hit "Undo" if the take wasn't useable, but if there was a crash or the power went out, I'd have to re-record everything.  So now it's an automatic habit for me to hit Save after any important change I make to a project.

Hope this helps buddy, good luck!
    Bob
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/01/18 05:13:21 (permalink)
    It has already been discovered by several users that too much editing without hitting save can actually cause Sonar to crash.  See this thread:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1695656

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    ChuckC
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/01/18 08:35:59 (permalink)
    Kev999 Thanks or the link...  Makes sence that it is not just lousy luck that It crashed when I hadn't save in a while, but that it crashed because I hadn't saved in a while.     Thank you guys for the replys & I am sorry to subject everyone to the rant above.  I was overheating (blowin' my friggen top)  last night when I posted.
    I will work on changing my Cntrl-S habits.

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/01/18 08:40:56 (permalink)
    chuck - crashes are usually caused by the soundcard drivers.  since your computer is not connected to the internet - did you download the latest drivers for your fast track and then transfer them over to your DAW computer?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/01/18 14:58:54 (permalink)
    So now it's an automatic habit for me to hit Save after any important change I make to a project.  Bob
    +1 +100. 
    And it make sense to me that by saving it must clear your memory of all that stuff you just did. You only have 2 Gigs so that's pretty minimal for a DAW these days.
    I don't blame you for getting pissed, computers will do that to you. It's a good thing mine is a long way from an open window....

And another habbit I found works for me, I still can't understand Sonar's files system 100% so I do the following and I've never lost a song or wave file yet.
    From My Computer - pick your drive and location. I use C/ Cakewalk Projects folder ( Laptop only one drive)
    Create a session / artist folder.
    In this folder I make a folder for each song I'm about to record.
    I open Sonar and load my template.
    I customize it for that song and do a "Save As" and browse to my song folder I created and save it there as a CWP with the song name. This will create a Audio folder within the song folder too. I do this before the session for each song so it speeds up work flow during tracking.

So all the songs or whole session are easy to copy to another hard drive for back up and all the audio for that song is where I put it. After the session I back up to a external drive and take home to my workstation there. This external drive has nothing but my Sonar stuff. I have not had to erase anything yet this year. I date each folder so can retrieve original session or later versions I backed up. 
    I know you can do this by messing with the file paths in the options menu but I have lost stuff using that method.
    There are at least copies of every song. I also back up to second drive within home DAW so that's #4.

Another tip is to always name a track Before you record it.
    This will imprint the name to the wave file.
    Bass1
    Bass 2
    Bass punch in etc. 
    post edited by johnnyV - 2011/01/18 15:09:14

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

ChuckC
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/01/18 15:45:28 (permalink)
    All good advice & I do appreciate it.   But is tere a way to find the actual wave files I lost?   & would they be a cwp fileor what?   I am not even sure what type of file I need to be looking for.

ChuckC
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/01/18 15:50:51 (permalink)
    Beagle,
       No I haven't uploaded an newer drivers for my soundcard, but ADK set it all up (this computer, with all this software, & ths interface) & ran it through it's paces to test it & ensure smooth operation.  If their were new drivers for it...  how would it even know that it needs an update as it is never online?  
       (newbie/dumb question) If the sound card & interface worked well when shipped & ever since then, why would I ever want to update or screw with anthing?  

Beagle
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/01/18 17:10:13 (permalink)
    you wouldn't unless you're having problems!

Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/01/18 17:19:49 (permalink)
    quote: But is tere a way to find the actual wave files I lost? 

Hi, Chuck,

Yes, as I mentioned in post #2 above, you need to look for the track files in C:\Cakewalk Projects\Song Name\Audio\, or possibly C:\Cakewalk Projects\Audio\.

If you actually never did hit Save after recording the tracks, before the crash, then unfortunately there are no saved files to search for.

Best wishes,
    Bob

daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/01/18 17:44:42 (permalink)

I am not even sure what type of file I need to be looking for.

CWP files do not contain any audio, only pointers to the audio files. The audio files should be in your audio folder. They will be WAV files. You should also be using Per Project files to save your projects. 

Looking at your computer specs, you are a bit light on memory so you don't have an unlimited number of audio tracks, softsynths and effects with those limited resources. 
    post edited by daveny5 - 2011/01/18 17:48:01

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    johnnyV
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/01/18 18:04:53 (permalink)
    If you actually never did hit Save after recording the tracks, before the crash, then unfortunately there are no saved files to search for.

I'm not so sure this is entirely true because I believe as your record a new wave file is generated and stored in the audio folder. I would be wrong if what it does is only store to memory then save it. But to answer your question  what you are looking for is the audio folder which should be easy to find if you have never changed the pathway.
    The problem is that it might contain everything from every song you have recorded if you did not set things up beforehand. If you do not name your tracks etc it will be a mess. That's why I do it the way I do. I learned from the past not to use the default set up as it makes recovery almost impossible. As Bob has explained above--

look for the folder open Global Options / Audio Data.
    The default is C\ Cakewalk Projects\Audio Data.

The wave files are in either a per song Audio folder or one big mess.
    They will be hopefully named after your song
    My Song 1, Bass1, rec 2
    The number after the rec is the take and normally higher numbers are for later takes. rec 48.

post edited by johnnyV - 2011/01/18 18:13:53

Scarlett 6i6
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

johnnyV
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/01/18 18:12:09 (permalink)
    I've never had to do this but a way to re construct a song would be to first find the CWP icon for the song. Look for the audio folder which should be next to it. If it isn't then I would copy the CWP file to a fresh location and make a new Audio file manually.
    Then find the wave files and copy them to this new folder. Then double click the CWP icon and stand back with fingers crossed. As it loads it will tell you the names of any missing tracks so go look for them.
    One piece of info someone else might know is as you record if there is a temporary place those waves are stored until you hit save, I know MS Word does this and the folder is deep in the bowels of the OS>

Scarlett 6i6

ChuckC
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/01/18 18:46:31 (permalink)
    I appreciate the help fella's.   I will start an in depth search later on tonight if I can find the time to do so.  

Yes the tracks are named & Like I said above I have had a ton of tracks named "bass DI" (or very similar)  but only one named Chuck DI & one named Chad DI as this was the 1st time I recorded both a mic'd track & a DI track for guitars.  If I can find those DI tracks the mic'd tracks should be right there close by. 
       **(OFFTOPIC)** By the way,  my method on this attempt at getting a good distorted guitar tone seemed to work well.  I ran from my Line 6 pedal (with a little less fuzz/gain than my live settings) to a Di box, the thru put to my 1/2 stack close mic'd with a 57, then the XLR from the DI to channel 2.  I did have to drag the mic tracks back a hair to even up the phase issues. the mic track was fat & meaty & the Di was a little more articulate.    I eq them then panned my mic track 100% left & my Di about 70% left, then sent my other guitarists tracks right by the same amounts.  Both with the Di tracks at a lower volume than the mic tracks & it was sounding so nice..... then, it happened!   SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _TTTTTT!    lol.   Oh well.   If  can't find em' we'll start over.

Beagle
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/01/18 18:52:11 (permalink)
    Johnny's right.  if you're recording something then it's putting a wavefile on the disk regardless of saving sonar.  you just have to find it in the audio folder.  that might be in the global audio folder if the project wasn't named or saved as "per project folders" but it still should be on the hard drive if you recorded audio.

chuck - do a search of your hard drive using windows search and look for all wave files.  *.wav

johnnyV
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/01/18 19:29:40 (permalink)
    Also I know some people have found missing files and sorted it out with right click properties and check the date.  Not sure if W7 still does this. It's interesting as the Modified shows the actual recording time and date But created is when I transferred it to the Portable hard drive.

post edited by johnnyV - 2011/01/18 19:32:28

Scarlett 6i6

ChuckC
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/01/20 08:18:33 (permalink)
    I FOUND EM LAST NIGHT!    Whoooooohoooo!
    Thanks for your help everybody,   I was able to go into mydocuments/cakewalk & then search for the files by name (ie. chuck DI.wav)  I found that it shows the files & had the name of the song after it even though I had not yet save it to that song, so that was very nice to see.   I then inserted a blank track & dragged them in!
    Unfortunately the files did not have a "start time" encoded in them so I had to play around with placement & getting them back in time.   Not patting myself on the back but....  mine were all in one take so it was easy, the other guitarist had 4 takes (layers) per track that had to be sorted to get them in order & then nudged around to sync them with the song one at a time.  What a PITA!  Thanks again!

johnnyV
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/01/20 13:37:24 (permalink)
    Awesome news.
    The minute you start recording the wave file is generated and as it would seem is named with what is put in title. That's why it's a good habit to name a track first.  Saving must only then print that wave file pathway to the CWP file , Nothing should be lost unless a hard drive goes south or in the case of external goes off line. .  
    post edited by johnnyV - 2011/01/20 13:41:04

Scarlett 6i6

Swinhart
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 63
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/02/03 21:10:20 (permalink)
    Hey Guys,  I had the same thing happen to me one time.  Since SONAR writes the wav files in the audio folder, they say there temporarily until you save them.  One time I saw the dreaded "SONAR has to close.  Sorry...."  I unplugged my external hard drive.  Guess what?  All the files that would be normally gone were still there!!  So, you might try that one too!

Hal Swinhart
    hswin@att.net

Having fun with 32 tracks in OKC
    hp laptop zd7000 2.8 Ghz 2 Gb DDR RAM
    WinXPP SP3 with AVT1394BusDriver
    Sonar 2S, 3S, 4S, 5S, 5P, 6.12P, now 8.3P
    MOTU 896HD (x3)
    MOTU Ultralite
    MOTU 8-Pre (x2)
    MOTU Ultralite
    many studio mics
    email: hswin@att.net
    bbent91745
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/02/04 01:38:48 (permalink)
    ChuckC

I FOUND EM LAST NIGHT!    Whoooooohoooo!
    Thanks for your help everybody,   I was able to go into mydocuments/cakewalk & then search for the files by name (ie. chuck DI.wav)  I found that it shows the files & had the name of the song after it even though I had not yet save it to that song, so that was very nice to see.   I then inserted a blank track & dragged them in!
    Unfortunately the files did not have a "start time" encoded in them so I had to play around with placement & getting them back in time.   Not patting myself on the back but....  mine were all in one take so it was easy, the other guitarist had 4 takes (layers) per track that had to be sorted to get them in order & then nudged around to sync them with the song one at a time.  What a PITA!  Thanks again!

ChuckC,

If you saved the Cakewalk files in your 'mydocuments' folder, it sounds like you are saving them on the same HD as your OS, correct? If so, you should change the location where you save any project and audio files (and soft synth libraries) to your second HD (i.e., audio shouldn't have to compete with the OS for access to a drive, which may lead to drop-outs.

Another point, while you may have gotten your computer from an audio 'expert', it seems to be very under-powered for this application (DAW).

I'm glad you were able to recover your files. Good luck.

Regards,
    bbent 

HW: GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-930, 6GB & 2ea WD2002FAEX 2TB, 1ea WD1001FALS 1TB, UA1000, FP-7F, Yamaha 2.1 HS80M/HS10W
    SW: Win7 Pro x64, SPE 8.5.3, NI Komplete 8 Ult., Ivory Grand Pianos II
    ChuckC
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/02/04 15:50:09 (permalink)
    bbent,

I am a relative internal computer newb/****....  so help me out here....  By operating system do you mean Sonar or windows 7?   I am sure I can easily figure out if sonar is on C or D drives but if you mean windows 7.... where do I find what drive that's running on?  & then which ever it is, you're saying I should store all my songs on the opposite correct?

As far as the computer power goes.... I realize (even being a newb) by looking at the stats on others signatures (even though I may not know what exactly it all means)  that my system seems lesser than many....  So I ask you this.  If you had a computer with my stats, what would you upgrade on it?  and what wold you upgrade too? 
    Does the (if memory serves) $1300-1400  I paid for the computer seem unreasonable for the systems specs?  Thanks

johnnyV
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/02/04 19:50:44 (permalink)
    I had this computer built & loaded with sonar 8.5.3 by professionals who do just that for a living,

You should tell us who they are so we can not recommend them!

while you may have gotten your computer from an audio 'expert', it seems to be very under-powered for this application (DAW).

I sort of noticed that too. Almost bare bones by today's standards. Did that price include Sonar? If not it seems a little steep.
    Most builders use i7 and a  min would be  i5 4 GIGs RAM.  and if they did know how to set up an audio computer, ya, they would have set the path to the extra drive.

Just open my computer ( or whatever W7 calls it) and look at the drives.
    Drive C = OS and software install
    Drive D = DVD drive
    Drive E = Data drive

It's funny how A & B are still reserved for floppy drive of which disappeared 6 years ago.
    Sorry if this may be a little confusing:
    Sometimes  Drives will be partitioned and the Second partition of C will show up as drive D or E even though its the same physical drive as C. A partition is not  like having 2 drives because it's the same read / write head doing all the work. Most laptops have this configuration.
    So even though your computer has only 2 physical drives it could have drive icons for more,
    A way for you to verify would be a drive that shows as less than
    500 GIGs ( well they show as less than that (470 )

Drive C  100 Gigs 
    Drive D  DVD
    Drive E  370 Gigs = partition of C
    Drive F  470 Gigs Data drive
    post edited by johnnyV - 2011/02/04 19:52:05

Scarlett 6i6

ChuckC
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/02/05 01:54:43 (permalink)
    I had it built by ADK Audio(Avanced Designs of Kentucky).   Based on their reccomendations.   At the time I was looking at buying a sweetwater Tower around  $1500
    http://www.sweetwater.com/creation_station/tower.php
    Or the tower LE which only has 1 drive... about a grand.

At the time I don't think the "tower" was equiped with the i5 that it is now, I believe it was also an i3.   I did some research here & on other forums & everyone seemed to reccomend ADK &/or Studio Cat.

I called ADK & they seemed super cool, helpfull, & seemed to really know their stuff.  The machine looked to be better & a few bucks less than the ready-made creation station tower....  so I went with it.

Just to give you a little background  most all of my projects so far have been generally of a 5 piece band & track layouts might be typically as follows:

1 lead vox - w/vocal strip, eq, & comp
    2 back vox   "                             "
    3 back vox  -"                             "
    4 guitar 1 clean -  EQ
    5 & 6 guitar #1 distortion - w/ eq & comp
    7 guitar 2 clean - eq
    8 & 9 guitar# 2 distortion  eq & comp
    10 & 11 are say bass (mic'd & di)    Eq & comp
    12 will be one midi track to record my v drums 
           Then I either run it through session drummer or solo each drum & record it from my V kit as audio track #'s 13-22 (kick, snare, t1, t1, t3, hats, crsh1, crsh2, & ride) I generally like a little more reverb on the snare itself & then add 1 instance of perfect space to the drum bus as a whole, once in a while I will add a 2nd instance of perfect space on the vocal bus as well. I don't do a crazy number of tracks & very little midi work.

I don't think I am pushing the machine as the cpu meter has never jumped over 10% in recording or playback & is generally around 6 or 7%.   So you tell me honestly.... is this machine under qualified to suit my needs?   Was it a bad reccomendation based on what I told them i'd be doing with it?  

& no the price did not include sonar...  All together I spent about (just under) $2,000 on the computer + sonar 8.5.3 + an m-audio fast track pro which goes for about $200.  This was including shipping/taxes etc.

ChuckC
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/02/06 16:52:46 (permalink)
    Bump... any help here?  wow, this is a nice reverb in this big empty room..

Beagle
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/02/06 17:25:41 (permalink)
    chuck - what is your question?  your last problem it says you resolved the problem with the file locations.

is this your question you're bumping for?
     If you had a computer with my stats, what would you upgrade on it?  and what wold you upgrade too? 
    Does the (if memory serves) $1300-1400  I paid for the computer seem unreasonable for the systems specs?  Thanks

if so, I'm trying to decipher what your system really is.  does the "4MB" go with the processor as cache?  or what does the "4MB" mean?  when you say "2 mushkin 2 gig DDR3"  does that mean you have a total of 4G of DDR3 or does it mean 2G?

ChuckC
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/02/07 11:10:51 (permalink)
    Beagle,
      I went & pulled out the sales lip from ADK, First of all I want to correct myself...  Total price for the package was $1500 including Sonar 8.5 producer ($299)  & the m audio interface ($199)  so there was basically $1000 toward the computer components, assembly & windows 7, shipping etc.
       My motherboard- H55 : core i3/i5 2 PCIe 16x 2 PCI, TI, firewire, up to 16 gig DDR 1600
    Processor- Core i3 540 3.06GHz  4mb cashe Dual Core w HT processor
    2- Mushkin 2Gig DDR 1333 1.5v 9-9-9-24 memory
    2-Seagate 500G 32 meg Sata II perpendicular
    1- LG22X DVD-RW

I have typed this out because I am a bit too naive to truly know what each component actually is responsible for in terms of power, memory etc.  I am sure I learned about this....  but lacked the internal memory to retain it. 

Beagle
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/02/07 11:27:00 (permalink)
    Ok, then here's the bottom line on what you have:
    Intel Core i3 540 3.06GHz
    4G RAM (total)
    2 500G Hard drives SATAII

you didn't list it here, but I'm assuming Win7x64 (you might have mentioned this earlier in the thread, I don't remember)

this system is really pretty good.  it's not top of the line, but it should run just fine with multiple tracks, multiple FX and softsynths without problems.

IF you wanted, you could upgrade the RAM (running win7x64 if it were me, I probably would do that) to as much as up to 16G (I personally would probably upgrade to 6 or 8G but probably wouldn't go higher than that).  OH - and it depends on which version of Win7 you have, only the most expensive one goes up to 16G I THINK (anyone can correct me on that)

you COULD also upgrade your processor to an i5 if you wanted.

but as I said, there's NO reason this system shouldn't work fine unless you're really pushing it with RAM heavy softsynths or processor heavy FX.

if you're having problems with it still, I'd recommend talking to ADK about the problems and see if there's not a solution.  especially if they set up Sonar AND the Fast Track Pro for you.  they probably have a good support system based on what you actually purchased and might be able to help you if you're having problems.
    post edited by Beagle - 2011/02/07 11:28:50

ChuckC
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/02/07 11:48:53 (permalink)
    I have windows 7 home premium 64-bit.Which brings up another quick question....  
      I have been recording in sonar 32 bit thus far. Is there a large difference in recording at 64x?   Is it harder or easier on the computer system?    I am just thinking I've never been in the songs forum & heard someone say "man the really sounds like 32 bit, you should run 64!"   So clue me in here.     BTW.... thanks Beagle.

Beagle
    Re:How can I recover track files after crash? 2011/02/09 06:54:34 (permalink)
    there are some plugins that do  not work in 64bit, but mostly only the DX ones (which you probably don't use anyway).  I don't have 64bit OS so I don't have first hand experience at using it to advise you good enough. 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1