Soundcloud versus Soundclick versus ReverbNation

Author
munmun
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
2011/02/09 16:45:12 (permalink)

Soundcloud versus Soundclick versus ReverbNation

I am currently on Reverbnation and Soundclick using Facebook as a front end.  Ideally I would like to be on one service to achieve the following:

- reach the most people
- possibly sell music

Which of these services would you choose?  I get the sense that Soundclick is made up of soundclick users who are all musicians and so there is little outside exposure.  Is there a regular service where you can post music frequented by just music hunters searching for new stuff?

9 Replies Related Threads

yorolpal
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:Soundcloud versus Soundclick versus ReverbNation 2011/02/09 18:13:32 (permalink)
    I just got a SoundCloud account also and am interested in what folks think of all the "sell" services.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Soundcloud versus Soundclick versus ReverbNation 2011/02/09 18:33:40 (permalink)
    SOUNDCLOUD allows mucher higher bitrate uploads.

i put up 320kbps mp3s

sounds WAY WAY WAY WAY better to my ears.

ymmv
    hehe

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    Re:Soundcloud versus Soundclick versus ReverbNation 2011/02/09 18:52:29 (permalink)
    Any or all those sites will do, once a band has their album done, hi-res photos ready, EPK and HPK done the next important thing is 'Music Publicity', promotions, just type those two keywords; 'Music Publicity' in Google will bring up a boatload of information that will help, but of course among that will be crap like all else out there on the Internet.

Point is; it actually takes additional effort and money promoting a band! If you just upload thru TuneCore for distribution of your music it's simply not enough alone because you have to 'promote' and understand the importance of music publicity. Example; This Site and they have a few interesting articles to set you on the right path (see list under; Education)!

There are music publicist management who also tend to social networking for bands which is great because it allows the band to focus on their music, writing, recording and performing (touring)! A lot of the updates posted on social sites such as; MySpace and Facebook are fairly generic such as; Album Available at:Amazon, or Tickets Available for Our show in Las Vegas, (they just keep rehashing similar comments, update-streams)!

Twitter is another site a lot of bands use to promote their music but with Twitter you can sync-stream to FB and MySpace from a cell phone simultanously (all sites), and use Twitter as a addon stream for the bands official website.

I have posted links on this thread that may be useful particularly for anyone starting out.

Best of luck! Wish you great success :)

Anubis
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1059
    Re:Soundcloud versus Soundclick versus ReverbNation 2011/02/09 22:33:13 (permalink)
    SoundClick has been declining in popularity since 2005. SoundCloud has been gaining momentum. Menawhile, MySpace tried unsuccessfully to reinvent itself as a music site.
    edited to add that SoundCloud apparently still converts your file down to 128 kb/s for streaming purposes. SYM seems to stream the original 320 kb/s file. There is a noticeable difference in quality. Unfortunately, it is a ghost town.
    post edited by Anubis - 2011/02/09 22:51:23

X2Studio_Win7(64)_SamsungChronos_QuNexus_QuNeo_Axiom25_Saffire24Pro_Saffire6USB_EdirolPCR300_Nocturn
    Amplitubes_AmpegSVX_StylusRMX_SampleTank/Tron_Komplete7_AddictiveDrums_TRacks3_Wavelab6
    miTunes
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Soundcloud versus Soundclick versus ReverbNation 2011/02/10 00:15:52 (permalink)
    Soundcloud sounds the best of those 3, but if you want exposure then you need a MySpace and Facebook page too, most labels/blogs like a MySpace address, for some reason...have to say the new version of MySpace loads faster and sounds better than the old crap.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Brody Sheale
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Soundcloud versus Soundclick versus ReverbNation 2016/04/16 22:59:03 (permalink)
    batsbrew

i put up 320kbps mp3s

ymmv
    hehe

Actually soundcloud streams at 128, just like bandcamp, regardless of what kind of file you upload.  If you want 320 kbps at no extra cost try .  Where you can also sell your songs and they take no commission.  and they also have the great there.

Brody Sheale
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Soundcloud versus Soundclick versus ReverbNation 2016/04/16 22:59:03 (permalink)
    batsbrew

i put up 320kbps mp3s

ymmv
    hehe

Actually soundcloud streams at 128, just like bandcamp, regardless of what kind of file you upload.  If you want 320 kbps at no extra cost try .  Where you can also sell your songs and they take no commission.  and they also have the great there.

Chandler
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re:Soundcloud versus Soundclick versus ReverbNation 2016/04/18 00:49:19 (permalink)
    To be honest I don't think any of them are great, but IMO the best is Soundcloud. Many forums let you embed the soundcloud player, which makes it easy to promote you song or get feedback. The bad part is Soundcloud's business model is terrible and I wouldn't be surprised if it's gone in a few years. Reverb nation is probably better for selling music, but I don't think as many people use it.

My soundcloud page Chandlerhimself
    My Youtube page
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Soundcloud versus Soundclick versus ReverbNation 2016/04/18 02:00:08 (permalink)
    munmun
     Is there a regular service where you can post music frequented by just music hunters searching for new stuff?

that's wishful thinking ;-)

ReverbNation and SoundCloud (and others) offer good means to get your content online for what I believe good value for a decent price. but how it looks and how it sounds is up to you ... and if you browse what is out there you find extremely well presented good bands and also a lot of rubbish that is so uninspired and low quality that it should not be there. Overall, there is way too much out there and that's why I don't think anyone will make it by having a good online profile ...

I think it still mostly works the old way (and I've also been recently told by an A&R guy that they still go by these rules - at least in my part of the world): good songs => good album => good live performance => play live, play live, play live, ... and work on a fan base that's real (not a like-for-a-like thing) ... and then ... well, even then you don't know if you ever make it out of your local playground ...

I'm also not convinced that the "music promotion" service on the web work in your favour. They might just be there to make - for themselves. The stats that e.g. Facebook shows in terms of how many saw your stuff and clicked, may just be as phoney as most other stats (because stats are always "bend" to work in someone's favour) ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1