Sonar X1 , how do I install to another partition?

Author
Mixermuso
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2011/02/11 11:27:03 (permalink)

Sonar X1 , how do I install to another partition?

When I install Sonar X1 it goes by default to C:, but I would like it to go to my partition F:.
Nearly installed it tells me that C: is running out of space. I would like Sonar X1 to go to F: it is about 129GB. but how do I turn the installing to F:

Mixermuso

10 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Sonar X1 , how do I install to another partition? 2011/02/11 11:32:31 (permalink)
    I think you can do that by chosing a "CUSTOM INSTALLATION" instead of the standard installation.

but I personally would advise you to clean out your C: drive or get a new one and install it there instead.  I have seen some people have problems using sonar on a drive other than C.

however, there will be others who will disagree with that.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Mixermuso
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Sonar X1 , how do I install to another partition? 2011/02/11 11:42:58 (permalink)
    OK! Thanks BEAGLE, I will try the "CUSTOM INSTALLATION".
    It is because I like to have nothing else than Win7 on C: .
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Sonar X1 , how do I install to another partition? 2011/02/11 12:49:03 (permalink)
    Mixermuso

OK! Thanks BEAGLE, I will try the "CUSTOM INSTALLATION".
    It is because I like to have nothing else than Win7 on C: .

Well...the method usually recommended is that all programs are on the same drive as the OS. That's why most programs install themselves there as a default. I'm not expert enough to say what are the possible negative consequencies of your intended custom install.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    siris1977
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:Sonar X1 , how do I install to another partition? 2011/02/11 13:47:24 (permalink)
    I agreee.  I'd install all programs on the os drive.  if your "c" is the smallest   I'd put them on that one  and use the "f" for audio.  wav files and projects will fill your crap up in no time.   also if you are doing "important, Self recording"  or "paid" work, I'd suggest picking up a cheap xternal hard drive for each "big" project.  you can get them at walmart for like $40-60 for a 250 gig.  that should be plenty for a project with room for pix and promo stuff.  plus alot of people will think its cool to come record at yur place and get everything back on a nice protable hard drive they can reuse along with the final cd. :)

Phenom Quad core,  8gb ram, 3.5tb of Fine Music Storage Vault Under Armed Guard w/ UAV support (air-hog chopper), set of MA-15D, Delta 10-10 pci w/interface, m-box 3 pro, projectmix I/O, Metal Pop Filters, Two SKB cases Full of Suck Removal Buttons, Cedar Walls, Stripper Pole (helps with mastering & block priceing) more stuff i'm to lazy to add. ;)
    P.S. good Memory foam is freakin awesome. 
    WDI
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2069
    Re:Sonar X1 , how do I install to another partition? 2011/02/11 14:06:21 (permalink)
    Mixermuso

When I install Sonar X1 it goes by default to C:, but I would like it to go to my partition F:.
    Nearly installed it tells me that C: is running out of space. I would like Sonar X1 to go to F: it is about 129GB. but how do I turn the installing to F:

Mixermuso
    I'm pretty sure Beagle is correct in choosing "Custom Installation" will give you the options you are looking for. I also separate Windows partition and programs partition and never had any problems. Just wanted to mention that Sonar now is loaded with sample material which is what takes up all the space. The program itself doesn't take up much space. By choosing "Custom Installation" I believe you can choose where samples go. I usually place sample on separate partition from my programs drive. Again, sample are what takes up most of the space. Just wanted to mention that. I've often seen people mention that the best place for Sonar is C. But from my experience with numerous versions of Sonar and Cakewalk products, not to mention all other programs I run, I've never had any problems installing where ever I want, even on separate physical hard drives. However, I don't have any experience with Windows Vista/7.

Sonar 7 PE
    Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
    MSI K8N Neo4-F
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    2 GB PC 3200 Ram
    RME Fireface 800
    Edirol FA-66
    CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
    Hardwood
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Sonar X1 , how do I install to another partition? 2011/02/12 07:09:36 (permalink)
    I installed X1 on a separate partition (as I do with all applications) and the only difficulty will be setting up your default directories in Preferences/File/Folder Locations. Even though it's installed on E: , for some reason it still puts some resource folders on C: .
    I just created the folders on E: copied the stuff over and told X1 where to look on E:, this is Vista x64. 

Sonar X1a ES 64bit on Vista x64 
    Asus Xonar D2X  v8.1793 ASIO4ALL v2  
    Phenom II x4 955 @3.6  4gig ram
    Yamaha YPT-320 - UM-1G | Technics SX-PX222/M - MPU-401

giankap
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re:Sonar X1 , how do I install to another partition? 2011/02/12 07:16:43 (permalink)
    I'd suggest you install the program on your system partition. If you want you could create a new folder for the music applications, it doesn't have to be program files by default, but definately should be the same partition as your system.

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
    cheez
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re:Sonar X1 , how do I install to another partition? 2011/02/12 08:06:52 (permalink)
    It's rare for C drive to run out of space unless:
    1. You got lots of other programs installed there (which is not advisable)
    2. You got lots of samples installed there (which is also not advisable)
    3. You got lots of audio files saved there (Sonar saves all the audio files from your project into C drive by default).

If your problem is no. 1, then the answer is: only use a dedicated PC for Sonar/DAW. If you are using a notebook and require other programs to be also installed, then the answer is dual boot.

If your problem is no. 2, then the answer is: samples should be installed on a DIFFERENT hard drive altogether. Not only because samples takes up lots of space, but also sample streaming taxes the HD tremendously. You really need a separate dedicated HD to store those.

If your problem is no. 3, it can be cleared out easily. 
    pauljo
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Sonar X1 , how do I install to another partition? 2011/03/10 11:04:59 (permalink)
    Hi all, 
    this may be helpful to newbies.

I have setup two instances of Windows XP professional, Yes I know that there's vista and 7 but I still find that XP pro is still the most stable. It has to be XPpro version tho if you are using a multi core processor as home versions wont take advantage of multi-core processing. If anyone is ready for a good clean install and has the time then here goes.

Make sure you have 2 x internal harddrives e.g.250Gb they are cheap enough now.
    Install XP or whatever on one drive (C) and at the same time partition it in to 2 logical (virtual) drives (you do this in installation). you now have drives C and D. Use this first install of XP pro for internet/family pictures/anti-virus software/general purpose and everything else, but not DAW/sonar etc.
    Install your second XP pro on to the other physical drive
    and again partition on installation so you have 2 logical drives on this second physical drive, E and F. Then install your DAWs Sonar, VSTs etc. Any basic apps word etc but not anti-virus (you dont need these progs as you will not be going online and they DO interfere with the smooth running of your DAWs.

When all up and running activate both installs , first one online second one by phone.

Then go into the DAW/Sonar preferences and allocate all audio files/recordings to be routed to drive D, thats the blank/empty partition on the other physical drive. 
    You now have 2 physical hard drives with your OS and DAW on one and all your streaming recording going to the other one. you will find less latency and fewer if any dropouts.

Go into my computer and rename all your drives for easier reference, say audio recording disc, XP pro general etc, Daw disc etc.
    Also using XP pro you can allocate different cores or processors to different functions.

When you boot up the pc before windows starts it will show you 2 versions of XP pro and you can choose which one you want to start depending on what you want to do.

You can also go into control panel/system/advanced/startup settings and you will see your two XP installs you can then specify which version will start automatically next time.

If you constantly flick from recording to internet etc then this is no good for you but if you spend a lot of time recording in one session then it will give the best results.

kindest regards

Paul
    jacquez
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Sonar X1 , how do I install to another partition? 2011/04/12 10:55:14 (permalink)
    This does not work - I tried forcing Custom to other "drive" even before I saw this post.
    I tried several times.
    This is very annoying.
    After selecting other drives, the Installation Window shows them correctly, but when starting to install, it reverts to C:\Program Files..... grrrr
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1