Need Help Rendering/Bouncing Midi to Audio in Sonar X1 - Superior Drummer

Author
rabidcadaverdog
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2011/02/20 18:14:00 (permalink)

Need Help Rendering/Bouncing Midi to Audio in Sonar X1 - Superior Drummer

Hi I'm having a really stressing issue. Just got Sonar X1 Producer and Superior Drummer2. Finished writing a song and now I'm trying to mix everything down to an mp3 so I can show my band. The drums don't come out on the final mp3. After much googling I found that I'm supposed to BOUNCE TO TRACK...basically rendering the Midi to audio within sonar..then mix down.

Problem is when I highlight the midi drums and select bounce to track it gives me error:

"The specified selection did not contain any audio data. Please ensure that the selection contains the audio data you with to bounce"

My guitar player uses the same setup and is having the same issue.

If anyone can help I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks

Rain Element Workstation, Win 7 64 Bit, Sonar X1 Producer, Reason 4, Presonus Firestudio & 2 Digimax FS, M-Audio 02, , Behringer BCF2000 B-Control, Tranzport, Boss GT-10, Behringer Truth B2031A Active Monitors

www.myspace.com/greenhitrecords

13 Replies Related Threads

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Need Help Rendering/Bouncing Midi to Audio in Sonar X1 - Superior Drummer 2011/02/20 18:18:01 (permalink)
    It is a pain in the butt to bounce to tracks in Sonar especially with synths. Make sure you select both the MIDI track and the synth's audio track. You'd think that Sonar would know you needed the audio track, but it doesn't. It should automatically give you the drum audio if you export the whole track though.
    rabidcadaverdog
    Re:Need Help Rendering/Bouncing Midi to Audio in Sonar X1 - Superior Drummer 2011/02/20 18:33:51 (permalink)
    10Ten

It is a pain in the butt to bounce to tracks in Sonar especially with synths. Make sure you select both the MIDI track and the synth's audio track. You'd think that Sonar would know you needed the audio track, but it doesn't. It should automatically give you the drum audio if you export the whole track though.

It doesn't do that automatically unfortunately. I think I'm missing some simple step here but I dont know what. I have a folder for superior drummer with two tracks..one is the instrument track and the other is the midi track. I did this before with easy drummer and it created a new audio track when I used "bounce to track" but this isn't working.

Rain Element Workstation, Win 7 64 Bit, Sonar X1 Producer, Reason 4, Presonus Firestudio & 2 Digimax FS, M-Audio 02, , Behringer BCF2000 B-Control, Tranzport, Boss GT-10, Behringer Truth B2031A Active Monitors

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Need Help Rendering/Bouncing Midi to Audio in Sonar X1 - Superior Drummer 2011/02/20 19:11:19 (permalink)
    rabidcadaverdog

10Ten

It doesn't do that automatically unfortunately. I think I'm missing some simple step here but I dont know what. I have a folder for superior drummer with two tracks..one is the instrument track and the other is the midi track. I did this before with easy drummer and it created a new audio track when I used "bounce to track" but this isn't working.

You have to select both tracks to get it to mix it to a new track. I generally mix it to the audio track for the synth and then set the input to non so the audio plays. You could also freeze it and get the same result.
    cryptexmarble
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 289
    Re:Need Help Rendering/Bouncing Midi to Audio in Sonar X1 - Superior Drummer 2011/02/20 19:26:19 (permalink)
    rabidcadaverdog

Hi I'm having a really stressing issue. Just got Sonar X1 Producer and Superior Drummer2. Finished writing a song and now I'm trying to mix everything down to an mp3 so I can show my band. The drums don't come out on the final mp3. After much googling I found that I'm supposed to BOUNCE TO TRACK...basically rendering the Midi to audio within sonar..then mix down.

Problem is when I highlight the midi drums and select bounce to track it gives me error:

"The specified selection did not contain any audio data. Please ensure that the selection contains the audio data you with to bounce"

Actualy for some softsynths in X1 It actualy just works now with track bouncing --But its true soOo strange ---If sonar would not sound so good --I would never have worked with such complicated software !

If people dont know different --they dont mind ...but some used good sequencers and that is just outrageous rude sonar behaviour against track bouncing ^^

it super strange --in X1 it works for some softsynths for some it doesnt (ROFL ) ( ROFL ); you still have to select an audio track as well --(so un LOGIC !!!! )

cubase and logic users go CRAaazy at first -when they use sonar --BELIEVE ME !

Cake doesnt realy care --I pointed that bouncing problem out some years ago --they dont give a F%&(

in cubase boucnig trax for me was like 2.5 sec work --ALL my friends saw , and were so surprised how I literaly flew through my Cubase UI --bouncing so easy ^^

How come gaming industry has gotten the message ; that one shall copy the goodnes of the other and paint it different ?????
    SONAR just sounds sooo oOOoOOooooo much better then the rest --makes me cry !
    WHY ???

Why can´t it be perfect ! Go learn from gaming industry dudes at cakewalk !

X1 will get there one sunny day

post edited by cryptexmarble - 2011/02/20 19:33:08
    ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Need Help Rendering/Bouncing Midi to Audio in Sonar X1 - Superior Drummer 2011/02/20 19:38:50 (permalink)
    rabidcadaverdog

You might be better off "Freezing" the synth (same as bouncing, basically) by using the freeze command on the synth itself (in the rack, or via the freeze widget in the track view).

You won't have to worry about selecting the MIDI tracks, it will do it for you (freeze will).

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    ba_midi
    Re:Need Help Rendering/Bouncing Midi to Audio in Sonar X1 - Superior Drummer 2011/02/20 19:41:34 (permalink)
    it super strange --in X1 it works for some softsynths for some it doesnt (ROFL ) ( ROFL ); you still have to select an audio track as well --(so un LOGIC !!!! )

This MAY be because if the synth is a "single output" and is a "simple instrument track", Sonar knows what to do.
    With multi-out, multi track synths, you have options (you may not want to bounce ALL the MIDI data).
    So while this may seem weird on the surface, it actually gives more options.

This only proves much of how one sees these things depends on 1) experience/skill set, 2) the way one likes to work, 3) deep knowledge of the programs features/functions, 4) how much effort one puts in to all the above.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

TomFerraro
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 94
    Re:Need Help Rendering/Bouncing Midi to Audio in Sonar X1 - Superior Drummer 2011/02/20 19:55:10 (permalink)
    I've run into this issue as well. Only way I got around is not use "simple instrument track". 

When you don't select simple instrument track, and you insert an instrument, you'll get tracks for the VSTi, one audio, one midi.

When mixing down the midi, you'll need to highlight both tracks then choose "bounce to track" from the track menu.

I'm sure there is a way to bounce simple instrument track to audio, I just havn't found it.  If there is not, I question the purpose of a the simple instrumet track.

Hope this helps.

SONAR X1- Producer, Komplete 7, V-Studio-100, i7-950
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Need Help Rendering/Bouncing Midi to Audio in Sonar X1 - Superior Drummer 2011/02/21 05:15:31 (permalink)
    For preparing a final mixdown, I'd use the Export function, not bounce to track.

How many tracks do you have? Call it n

The time taken to do a full bounce to track on every track will be n x the time taken to do an export.

For bouncing a simple instrument track down, just use the freeze function.
    This will also free up some cpu cycles.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Outlandish Music
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 85
    Re:Need Help Rendering/Bouncing Midi to Audio in Sonar X1 - Superior Drummer 2011/02/21 06:04:30 (permalink)
    In Supperior Drummer 2 there is a bounce option which works very well although it saves the audio files to a folder, you then have to drag them into Sonar using the browser. I was playing with this yesterday, didn't take long and you have several options of how you bouncde the drum track, either as a final mix or with each mic (drum and ambient) to seperate files.
    If you bounce multiple tracks, try and ensure all parts start from beat 1 even if there is no drumplaying at that point, so you can line them up easily.

Outlandish Music 

i7 3.4ghz, 16Gb, W7 64bit , X2a expanded, Quadcapture, Tannoy Reveal, Celestion 25s, PRS 24, Variax 300, Yamaha Pacifica, Peavey Bass,Takamine acoustic, Roland a500 pro, Superior Drummer 2. and various stuff.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Need Help Rendering/Bouncing Midi to Audio in Sonar X1 - Superior Drummer 2011/02/21 07:33:24 (permalink)
    TomFerraro

I'm sure there is a way to bounce simple instrument track to audio, I just havn't found it.  If there is not, I question the purpose of a the simple instrumet track.

It's good to notice, that clicking on the midi clip does not select the track, it selects the midi clip.
    If you click at the track number, the whole instrument track gets selected and bounced. At least that's what I've let the big boys tell me.
    The folk that make big noise about the complexity of the bouncing method in SONAR usually just look at the thing through a straw. The "open" way of SONAR gives more freedom of choice to the user, as ba_midi points out. If you want the most simple, you can't expect to get versatility.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    giankap
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re:Need Help Rendering/Bouncing Midi to Audio in Sonar X1 - Superior Drummer 2011/02/21 08:01:18 (permalink)
    what options do you have selected in the mix window? Entire mix? Main Outputs? Selected Tracks?

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
    rabidcadaverdog
    Re:Need Help Rendering/Bouncing Midi to Audio in Sonar X1 - Superior Drummer 2011/02/21 21:16:24 (permalink)
    ba_midi

rabidcadaverdog

You might be better off "Freezing" the synth (same as bouncing, basically) by using the freeze command on the synth itself (in the rack, or via the freeze widget in the track view).

You won't have to worry about selecting the MIDI tracks, it will do it for you (freeze will).

Success!
    Dude...right clicking on the track with the midi arrangement and selecting FREEZE worked like a charm. So simple...renders an audio track right away and it exported when I mixed down to MP3. Thanks so much.

Hopefully this post will aid some other poor stressed out person.

ba_midi
    Re:Need Help Rendering/Bouncing Midi to Audio in Sonar X1 - Superior Drummer 2011/02/21 22:04:28 (permalink)
    rabidcadaverdog

ba_midi

rabidcadaverdog

Success!
    Dude...right clicking on the track with the midi arrangement and selecting FREEZE worked like a charm. So simple...renders an audio track right away and it exported when I mixed down to MP3. Thanks so much.

Hopefully this post will aid some other poor stressed out person.

Glad it worked out for you.   It's all in the help files and reference guides, btw.

Also - when you quote a message on this forum, you have to make sure you move your cursor to the end where it no longer indents in order to post your reply without it becoming part of the existing quote.

I see a lot of users do this, so I thought it might be useful to point out the fix ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1