Military Class/Military Grade Motherboards?

Author
MarlboroMan23
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 776
2011/04/26 01:23:42 (permalink)

Military Class/Military Grade Motherboards?

Is this just marketing or are these motherboards really better than their non military counterparts?  I'm looking for a new 1155 P67 motherboard for a new build soon and have been seeing these pop up.

Thanks

most authors of novels regarded as classics are dead, classic novels are, therefore, most likely to be written by dead people.
http://www.soundclick.com/opaquesounds

10 Replies Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Military Class/Military Grade Motherboards? 2011/04/26 06:53:44 (permalink)
    A true "Mil Spec" device device (whatever device/motherboard, etc) can have ruggedized components.  True mil spec devices are quite a bit more $$ than standard business/consumer devices. 

As far as operational use, they are normally the same. Thus for almost all business/consumer uses the standard devices are more than adequate.   You also have to really investigate something that says it's "mil spec" to see if it really is.

I used to work for a NASA tracking station contractor.  NASA specs are even tougher than mil spec in some areas.
    post edited by fireberd - 2011/04/26 06:54:55

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Military Class/Military Grade Motherboards? 2011/04/26 08:47:34 (permalink)
    fireberd is exactly correct.  I deal with mil spec parts vs consumer/business parts every day where I work.  if you picked up, for example, an IC which was mil standard and the same IC made from the same manufacturer which was not mil spec, they would look identical except for part marking.

the parts are identically the same and function the same, but the mil spec parts are tested to higher levels such as temperature cycling, lightening, shock, E3 (emissions) etc, depending on the part and the specs that they're tested to.
    post edited by Beagle - 2011/04/26 08:48:50

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:Military Class/Military Grade Motherboards? 2011/04/26 08:59:03 (permalink)
    MarlboroMan23

Is this just marketing or are these motherboards really better than their non military counterparts?  I'm looking for a new 1155 P67 motherboard for a new build soon and have been seeing these pop up.

Thanks

in a word NO its marketing.. besides you dont need military grade.

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    Beagle
    Re:Military Class/Military Grade Motherboards? 2011/04/26 10:38:49 (permalink)
    Scott - I respect your opinion a lot, but no, it's not "marketing."  there is a difference between commerical and mil spec parts as we explained above.

but I do agree with you that MarlboroMan23 does not need a military grade computer.  nor does anyone who has to ask if they need it or not.  they serve a purpose for extreme conditions.  99.9999% of users on this forum will never have a need for those extreme conditions.

jcschild
    Re:Military Class/Military Grade Motherboards? 2011/04/26 11:21:06 (permalink)
    i sell to the govt all the time i am well aware of "military" grade.
    i have systems in Iraq and afgan..

"IF" and thats a big IF they really were military grade they would be much more money than other boards but they are not.
    this is no different that Gigabytes marketing of Japaneese capacitors at least its real and they do cost more.
    at least with GB i know they really take their power flow seriously..

either way i would not touch an MSI board..

Scott
    ADK
    Beagle
    Re:Military Class/Military Grade Motherboards? 2011/04/26 11:29:48 (permalink)
    I didn't see any reference to particular motherboards or prices in the OP's post.

based on your last post here, if what the OP's referring to are boards which don't cost enough more to really be mil spec boards then I would agree with you - I just haven't seen any links to what you're talking about and didn't see the OP mention any specific prices or boards.

if there are companies who are advertising mil grade boards but they can't possibly be mil grade due to the price then I would agree with you that it's "marketing" and not only that, but if they really aren't mil spec then that's a dangerous false advertising, IMO.

but again - there were no references anywhere in this thread until your last post, so I could not have made that judgement.

MarlboroMan23
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 776
    Re:Military Class/Military Grade Motherboards? 2011/04/26 13:42:28 (permalink)
    I was seeing motherboards like the ASUS Sabertooth line and some from MSI.  Doesn't look like Gigabyte markets a "military class" motherboard but their 6-Series motherboards look similar with their "Ultra Durable" and "Thermal Design" labels.  They actually look pretty nice.

most authors of novels regarded as classics are dead, classic novels are, therefore, most likely to be written by dead people.
    http://www.soundclick.com/opaquesounds
    jcschild
    Re:Military Class/Military Grade Motherboards? 2011/04/26 15:05:13 (permalink)
    Beagle,
    love all your picks by the way, the flying beagle is still the coolest.. the new one is pretty awesome as well.

MSI is marketing thier boards as such.. and less than or equal to $ wise others offerings of 1155 boards.
    so no not military grade in the correct sense..

Scott
    ADK
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Military Class/Military Grade Motherboards? 2011/04/26 16:14:26 (permalink)
    It might be easier to understand if one considers that a Military Specification is just that, a "specification".

There is no logical reason to assume that Mil Spec equates to "better" than consumer grade.

It is nice to assume that our Military is supplied with the best of the best... but that is a romantic notion.

Often times a Mil Spec does represent a specification that is above and beyond what a similar consumer product may meet... but more often it simply means that the product is certified to meet the spec if tested for suitability.

There are many examples of Mil Spec supply that exhibit priorities on qualities that differ from the "ideal" of best possible construction.

very best regards,
    mike

Beagle
    Re:Military Class/Military Grade Motherboards? 2011/04/26 16:28:37 (permalink)
    jcschild

Beagle,
    love all your picks by the way, the flying beagle is still the coolest.. the new one is pretty awesome as well.

MSI is marketing thier boards as such.. and less than or equal to $ wise others offerings of 1155 boards.
    so no not military grade in the correct sense..

scott - thanks!  i kind of liked the flying beagle myself, but found it was time for a change...

OK on the MSI.  I haven't seen these myself (obviously), but if they're not a LOT more expensive than their regular boards then I agree they're not military grade.

Mike - the logic you are using must be the same logic that MSI is using for marketing their boards as "military grade" 

to say that a particular board meets mil standards is complicated and doesn't necessarily mean that every board is tested, I agree.  but to say that it meets particular mil specs means at least that qualification testd have been performed to those specs on a sample of the same manufactured product.  they have to have certification paperwork stating that they have met those standards they are claiming to have met.

the government doesn't take "mil spec" lightly, actually.  if I were to buy, for example, some of these MSI motherboards for the USAF and they (MSI) claimed that these boards perform to mil standards for ESS and E3 (I won't list specific mil spec tests for clairty, but can provide some if you desire), and then I find out that none of the boards I purchased will withstand operation at, for example, +85C or that if I bring them down to -40C and then back up to 85C that they will no longer operate, then the government would investigate their claims of meeting "mil specs" for those boards and heavy penalties would be imposed on them if they were found fraudulently claiming that the boards have been manufactured and quality tested to mil standards.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1