GPO4 (64 bit) in X1 64 bit

Author
jbraner
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1830
2011/05/25 15:31:31 (permalink)

GPO4 (64 bit) in X1 64 bit

Hi,

Is anyone running GPO4 (Aria) in SONAR X1 64 bit? When I save a project that uses the 64 bit Aria Player, and then re-open it:

- all mixer channels go back to output 1/2, no matter what they were set at before.
- The Aria player will not stay in the multidock, or as a seperate window. I have to go back to the synth rack to open it.

Has anyone else seen this? It should remember these settings.

John Braner
https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
- Cakewalk by BandLab x64
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
- Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
- MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
er - that's it I think...

20 Replies Related Threads

lorneyb2
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1667
    Re:GPO4 (64 bit) in X1 64 bit 2011/05/25 16:55:36 (permalink)
    Are you sure you are choosing the x64 and not the X86 in the load up?  It almost sounds like how the bitbridge version would work.  With the x64 it works as expected.  

With respect to the output,  are you trying to actually select a different audio output or is it just a channel you are trying to direct it to?  The column for channe select is just to the right of the output 1/2.  That may be what you are after. 

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Win 8.1 Pro 64bit,  Quad Core 3.2GHz,  16G ram, Edirol FA 101, Nvidia
    EW (Platinum Orchestra, Hollywood Strings, Pianos, Gypsy, Fab 4, Ministry of Rock,Choirs, etc)

jbraner
    Re:GPO4 (64 bit) in X1 64 bit 2011/05/25 17:23:05 (permalink)
    Hi lorneyb2,

It's definitely the 64 bit one. I'm talking about the aria outs. There are 32 of them in stereo pairs. If you select the multi out version, you should be able to set each mixer channel (with an instrument on it) to a different pair of outputs. When you reoad the project - these outputs shouldn't all go back to "out1/2" ;-)

I'm just using the "not multi output" version to avoid farting around with this...
    (so everything from Aria goes to out 1/2 and I can bounce each MIDI track seperately)

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    lorneyb2
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1667
    Re:GPO4 (64 bit) in X1 64 bit 2011/05/25 17:46:08 (permalink)
    Ok, gotchya.  I had never used the "multi out" so hadn't seen the multiple outputs.  I just tried it and it is working here as expected.  When I saved the project, closed and re-opened it the outs for 6 instruments remained the same.  It also is staying docked in the bottom multidock for me as well.  I am on X1 build 255 here.  Aria engine version v1.111(windows x64)

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Win 8.1 Pro 64bit,  Quad Core 3.2GHz,  16G ram, Edirol FA 101, Nvidia
    EW (Platinum Orchestra, Hollywood Strings, Pianos, Gypsy, Fab 4, Ministry of Rock,Choirs, etc)

jbraner
    Re:GPO4 (64 bit) in X1 64 bit 2011/05/26 04:25:03 (permalink)
    It also is staying docked in the bottom multidock for me as well. I am on X1 build 255 here. Aria engine version v1.111(windows x64)
    Hmm - that's what's not working for me. I just applied quickfix 255 and found the Aria 1.111 update. I thought it was weird that the Aria player won't stay docked, and won't even stay as an open (minimised) seperate window.

hmmm...

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    jbraner
    Re:GPO4 (64 bit) in X1 64 bit 2011/05/30 16:37:34 (permalink)
    Well, I found out why it won't stay in the multidock. My screenset was locked! I don't know how that happened - I must've hit a hot key, or something weird happeed. I certainly didn't do it on purpose. ;-)

The multi outs don't keep their settings though - I'll just work around that.

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:GPO4 (64 bit) in X1 64 bit 2011/05/30 22:06:49 (permalink)
    This is an issue I haven't heard before, John, and a pretty major one at that.  I'll see if I can get some info from people at Plogue.  I'm a moderator at the Garritan Forum, and think that someone there may being able to suss this out.  I know others have been having great success with Aria 64 bit, so feel there's something out of whack here.

Could you please list some of your system specs on this thread?

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    jbraner
    Re:GPO4 (64 bit) in X1 64 bit 2011/05/31 04:16:53 (permalink)
    Hi Randy,
    I haven't heard anything from the GPO forum - except that the SOANR guru (I can't remember his name) was away for a little while. This certainly is pretty big, and I'd like to think it's something I'm doing wrong - but I don't think it is. There is another setting where the reverb is always enabled every time Aria is loaded. This isn't as serious - but is annoying. If I recall, there is an xml file that can be modified to "remember" these settings - but that is not really optimal.

My settings are:
    - Windows 7 x64
    - SONAR X1b qfix 255 x64
    - GPO 4.02
    - Aria player 1.111

(not really important)
    8 GB RAM
    Q6600 quad core 2.4 GHz
    lots of other plugins etc etc

I hope my description is accurate. What I'm saying is - in the mixer, if you set each part (instrument) to a different output pair and MIDI channel (which is the normal thing to do) - if you save the project, and then open it again, all parts are set for output pair 1/2.

I can work around this by bouncing each instrument separately (I always bounce everything to audio eventually, before I finish mixing a project), but I know this isn't the way it should be.

rgds,
    post edited by jbraner - 2011/05/31 04:18:53

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    rbowser
    Re:GPO4 (64 bit) in X1 64 bit 2011/05/31 10:11:33 (permalink)
    jbraner

Hi Randy,
    I haven't heard anything from the GPO forum - except that the SOANR guru (I can't remember his name) was away for a little while. This certainly is pretty big, and I'd like to think it's something I'm doing wrong - but I don't think it is. There is another setting where the reverb is always enabled every time Aria is loaded. This isn't as serious - but is annoying. If I recall, there is an xml file that can be modified to "remember" these settings - but that is not really optimal.

My settings are:
    - Windows 7 x64
    - SONAR X1b qfix 255 x64
    - GPO 4.02
    - Aria player 1.111

(not really important)
    8 GB RAM
    Q6600 quad core 2.4 GHz
    lots of other plugins etc etc

I hope my description is accurate. What I'm saying is - in the mixer, if you set each part (instrument) to a different output pair and MIDI channel (which is the normal thing to do) - if you save the project, and then open it again, all parts are set for output pair 1/2.

I can work around this by bouncing each instrument separately (I always bounce everything to audio eventually, before I finish mixing a project), but I know this isn't the way it should be.

rgds,

Thanks for the info, John - I'll see what I can suss out.  --The Garritan Forums have been rather low-key for awhile, sorry you haven't gotten help there yet.  This issue you describe has me perplexed so far. - Ambience (the reverb unit) always being on - That shouldn't be an issue as long as the Aria sends are defaulting to zero as the should.  I'll be back to you.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    jbraner
    Re:GPO4 (64 bit) in X1 64 bit 2011/05/31 10:18:26 (permalink)
    Ambience (the reverb unit) always being on - That shouldn't be an issue as long as the Aria sends are defaulting to zero as the should
    Just a possible waste of CPU if you're never going to use it ;-)

I would always use a reverb send that' s being shared with other tracks...

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    rbowser
    Re:GPO4 (64 bit) in X1 64 bit 2011/05/31 14:12:15 (permalink)
    jbraner

Ambience (the reverb unit) always being on - That shouldn't be an issue as long as the Aria sends are defaulting to zero as the should
    Just a possible waste of CPU if you're never going to use it ;-)

I would always use a reverb send that' s being shared with other tracks...

Hi, John - I've looked at the most current info at the Plogue site, the one dedicated to Aria, but couldn't find info about Aria in X1.  I've also posted your question and a link to this thread on the Garritan Technical site.  I sure hope some answers emerge, because X1's been out 6 months now - surely this problem hasn't been happening all that time without it being talked about before.

Even though I have X1, I'm still using 8.5, my preference.  I can't really test Aria for this, - my computer with X1 on it is currently---dead in the water, unfortunately.

You're right, of course, that you'll be wasting CPU power keeping Ambience on if you're not going to use it.  I thought maybe the CPU usage was negligible, but there are certainly times when every drop of power counts.

You said "...I would always use a reverb send that's being shared with other tracks..."--- Did you mean the opposite of that?  A reverb send is unique to a single track, it isn't shared.  Maybe you meant that you don't like for instruments to share a common source reverb plug-in via sends?--

This audio channel re-set you're experiencing is a drag - Hope we can figure it out for you.  Meanwhile, it's great that you're bouncing your MIDI to audio, I feel that's the best practice.  It's just unfortunate that currently you're forced to do that one track at a time.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    jbraner
    Re:GPO4 (64 bit) in X1 64 bit 2011/05/31 15:24:08 (permalink)

You said "...I would always use a reverb send that's being shared with other tracks..."--- Did you mean the opposite of that? A reverb send is unique to a single track, it isn't shared. Maybe you meant that you don't like for instruments to share a common source reverb plug-in via sends?--
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. I would put something like Aether on a buss and then use sends on different tracks. Also - since I always bounce to audio - I wouldn't use the "ambience" in the plug in anyway ;-)
    Plus - a plugin really should remember it's "state" including all efx etc.

This audio channel re-set you're experiencing is a drag - Hope we can figure it out for you. Meanwhile, it's great that you're bouncing your MIDI to audio, I feel that's the best practice. It's just unfortunate that currently you're forced to do that one track at a time.
    Actually, I *prefer* to bounce one track at a time - rather than freeze the instrument (which freezes all the outs at one time). So I don't mind using just the singe stereo out pair (1/2). I think others would find this a problem. I don't use GPO a lot - so this is the first time I've tried it since upgrading to X1.

For anyone who looks at this thread - I'm happy to test versions of the Aria player on X1 - if that helps ;-)
    Thanks for your interest Randy.

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    Grumbleweed_
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:GPO4 (64 bit) in X1 64 bit 2011/05/31 16:01:16 (permalink)
    Okay, I had a go at this and this is what I found:

I loaded X1 and only had the X86 version of GPO4 available but tried having separate tracks (outputs and midi) for three instruments anyway. It worked ok. Saved, closed, reloaded and still ok. Went to go on here to say and then realised I just used the 32 bit version of Sonar!

Tried to open the same project in X1 64 bit and it locked up!

Next I opened X1 64 and created a new project. Loaded the 64 bit version of GPO4 (so that's where it was hiding!). Did the same kind of experiment - three instruments, three midi tracks and three outputs (well 16 outputs but three used).
    Project worked ok so I saved, closed X1, reloaded X1, loaded the project and all is well.

Sorry you have a problem but I can't replicate it.

Grum.

Grumbleweed on Soundcloud
    Grumbleweed on Bandcamp
    Grumbleweed on Soundclick

Windows 10 Pro (64 bit), 3770K i7, 8 GB ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Cubase 9.5, Reason 10, CbB.
    rbowser
    Re:GPO4 (64 bit) in X1 64 bit 2011/05/31 17:09:22 (permalink)
    grumbleweed4162

Okay, I had a go at this and this is what I found:

I loaded X1 and only had the X86 version of GPO4 available but tried having separate tracks (outputs and midi) for three instruments anyway. It worked ok. Saved, closed, reloaded and still ok. Went to go on here to say and then realised I just used the 32 bit version of Sonar!

Tried to open the same project in X1 64 bit and it locked up!

Next I opened X1 64 and created a new project. Loaded the 64 bit version of GPO4 (so that's where it was hiding!). Did the same kind of experiment - three instruments, three midi tracks and three outputs (well 16 outputs but three used).
    Project worked ok so I saved, closed X1, reloaded X1, loaded the project and all is well.

Sorry you have a problem but I can't replicate it.

Grum.

Grum, thanks for running those tests.  It's good to know that it works for you, so hopefully that's how it is for most folks.

There must be some difficult-to-track-down wonky thing happening in your system, John.  I don't see how it could be user error since the process is straight-forward, and we can tell you know what you're doing.  The good part is that you prefer to bounce one track at a time, so this problem isn't a difficulty for you.  Odd that the problem came up at all though.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:GPO4 (64 bit) in X1 64 bit 2011/05/31 17:35:47 (permalink)
    [<font]Sometimes screensets cause problems especially if they're locked. Make sure they are unlocked, make the changes you want, save and restart.

HTH

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    jbraner
    Re:GPO4 (64 bit) in X1 64 bit 2011/06/01 06:00:39 (permalink)
    Sometimes screensets cause problems especially if they're locked. Make sure they are unlocked, make the changes you want, save and restart.
    Aaah - I *did* have a locked screenset (I don't know how it got locked though...), so I'll try this again tonight and report back.

There must be some difficult-to-track-down wonky thing happening in your system, John.
    That wouldn't be unusual ;-)

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    rbowser
    Re:GPO4 (64 bit) in X1 64 bit 2011/06/01 10:49:55 (permalink)
    Update:  One of the main Garritan programmers replied to a thread I started on the Garritan Technical Forum about this issue.   He said:

"...It sounds like a persistence issue. I can check it out later today. I'm re-installing the 64bit version of X1 now.

My guess is that its something in his X1 project that is causing this, either screenset or another X1 feature that is unknowingly resetting his outputs..."

So his guess is the same as Guitarpima's, that this could be another case of screensets tripping users up.  We'll see what Chad, the programmer, comes up with.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    jbraner
    Re:GPO4 (64 bit) in X1 64 bit 2011/06/01 16:22:39 (permalink)
    DOH!!! Yes it was the locked screen set. It works fine now. Sorry for wasting time with this, but the "mysterious" locked screenset coincided with using GPO Aria for the first time since upgrading to X1 - so that's what I suspected.

One interesting thing - if you set a part (in the mixer) for a pair of outputs, but don't load an instrument into the part - then it always goes back to output 1/2 - but that seems normal enough. ;-)

I tried it with my track template and with inserting the Aria via the synth rack - and it's behaving like I thought it should.

The ambience is always on when you load a new version of Aria - but that's not a big dela either (I'll double check that it saves it's state when you turn it off)
    PS - thanks a lot to everyone who took the time to help out.

The moral of the story is WATCH THOSE LOCKED SCREENSETS (and don't accidently lock them)

PPS - The ambience module saves it's state after you turn it off and save the file (and reopen it)
    post edited by jbraner - 2011/06/01 16:39:33

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    rbowser
    Re:GPO4 (64 bit) in X1 64 bit 2011/06/01 17:05:42 (permalink)
    jbraner

DOH!!! Yes it was the locked screen set. It works fine now. Sorry for wasting time with this, but the "mysterious" locked screenset coincided with using GPO Aria for the first time since upgrading to X1 - so that's what I suspected.

One interesting thing - if you set a part (in the mixer) for a pair of outputs, but don't load an instrument into the part - then it always goes back to output 1/2 - but that seems normal enough. ;-)

I tried it with my track template and with inserting the Aria via the synth rack - and it's behaving like I thought it should.

The ambience is always on when you load a new version of Aria - but that's not a big dela either (I'll double check that it saves it's state when you turn it off)
    PS - thanks a lot to everyone who took the time to help out.

The moral of the story is WATCH THOSE LOCKED SCREENSETS (and don't accidently lock them)

PPS - The ambience module saves it's state after you turn it off and save the file (and reopen it)

Excellent, John - Glad it's all figured out.  I'll post the problem as resolved at the Garritan Forum.

Don't feel bad though - I think accidentally having screensets locked is quickly becoming the #1 error with X1, because it's so easily done, and the results can be mysterious.

Thanks for the report.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:GPO4 (64 bit) in X1 64 bit 2011/06/01 17:43:52 (permalink)
    Those pesky locked screensets strike again! Glad you got it working!

Don't forget to put "resolved" in the thread title.
    post edited by Guitarpima - 2011/06/01 17:45:14

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    jbraner
    Re:GPO4 (64 bit) in X1 64 bit 2011/06/02 04:09:36 (permalink)
    I started another thread
    http://forum.cakewalk.com...22&mpage=1#2315522

Let's try to stamp out unwanted locked screensets! ;-)

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1