20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly"

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
2011/06/27 21:44:04 (permalink)

20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly"

I've recently added "The Nightfly" by Donald Fagen to my mastering reference library.

I'd heard it mentioned by others as a particularly well-made record, but hadn't really ever given it a close listen. I never cared for Fagen's voice, frankly. But I went to Amazon and listened to the 128kb/s snippits, and even at that resolution it was obvious that very high standards had been adhered to in this record's making. That I could buy it used for five bucks clinched the deal.

By Billboard standards this album is an archeological relic, having been recorded in 1982, right after Steely Dan disbanded. However, it also falls within an era I consider a golden age of recording, when technology had evolved to allow high fidelity but long before the advent of the compression madness of the past decade. The 70's may have been more productive in terms of creativity and innovation, but the 80's and 90's saw the apogee of recording fidelity.

Musically, The Nightfly is tame but tasty, featuring a whole bunch of top-tier players (full credits here). More interesting to me is personel list on the other side of the glass, a real audio dream team. The late great Roger Nichols engineered it (he also engineered all those great Steely Dan records), 23-time Grammy winner Elliot Scheiner mixed it, and the legendary Bob Ludwig mastered it. Longtime Steely Dan producer Gary Katz produced.

Here's the kind of waveform you almost have to go back to the 80's to see:

It peaks at -2db and the average RMS is -19.5db (!). That's what you call dynamic range. Turn the volume knob up and this record has serious punch.

I'd previously been under the impression that this had been an all-analog recording, but apparently I was mistaken about that. Further research revealed that it was in fact a completely digital recording, a rarity in 1982. Goes to show that contrary to popular belief, older digital recordings aren't necessarily bad! Apparently, it was also one of the earliest applications of drum replacement, using a custom device designed by Roger Nichols.

Check out the frequency spectrum:

Note the lack of low-end hype. But play this on a full-spectrum system like your studio monitors, with or without a subwoofer, and you do not feel that it's the slightest bit bass-shy. That's because the bass just pops out clear as can be, just like everything else.

You can just hear everything clearly on this record. Not because it's sparse, because the mix is actually fairly dense with multiple guitars, multiple keyboards, stacked backing vocals and horns. It's because of the arrangement, the choice of instrumentation, and flawless microphone technique. The brass is especially well-recorded, bright enough but never harsh. Even the Rhodes, which can be domineering in the midrange, fits right in like a puzzle piece.

And it's not like it's a dry recording with all close mics and no reverb. There's reverb aplenty. But it's silky smooth and with just the right length on the tails so it never runs notes together. I'm pretty sure it's all electronic; no room would be that cooperative.

If you want to study something that truly doesn't suck in any regard, this record is worthy of in-depth analysis and focused listening, regardless of your genre.

Other references

Here's the Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nightfly
Some notes on the album cover: http://www.pergunnareriksson.se/cover31.htm
Some second-hand info on the recording process: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/50069-6-nightfly

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff

51 Replies Related Threads

Zuma
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 525
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/27 21:55:44 (permalink)
    Very cool. I did not know either it was a digital recording. I still have it on cassette somewhere and have listened to it a couple years back on CD at a friends house. It is indeed a sonic beauty.

http://zumajunction.bandcamp.com/

"the bus came by and I got on that's when it all began. There was cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never ever land."_

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/27 22:15:01 (permalink)
    The latest (2011) Lee Konitz CD live at Birdland featuring the incredible Brad Mehldau on piano is a very nice live stereo recording and it looks just like 'The Nightfly' It is averaging -20 db FS. Just like the K -20 standard in K System speak. And when you turn it up it sounds great too.

The best Steely Dan mixes and production IMO are on the last two digital recordings though.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Zuma
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/27 22:27:11 (permalink)
    Alright. I'll throw in the SACD remaster of Dark Side of the Moon. If you've got a SACD player that is blast to crank up. Clare Torry never sounded so beautiful... the orignal ain't half bad either.

"the bus came by and I got on that's when it all began. There was cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never ever land."_

bitflipper
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/28 00:08:30 (permalink)
    DSoM has been my primary reference since, well, before I started recording music on a computer. It's the reference curve that comes up in Ozone and Har-Bal by default. It works well for my own dated style, but probably wouldn't be great for contemporary pop. Come to think of it, I wouldn't know what to use as a reference for contemporary pop.

My Stuff
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/28 00:37:42 (permalink)
    Wings album "Band On The Run" was recently made available for purchase in 24-bit 96kHz WAV format.  There are 2 versions available: "limited" and "unlimited", i.e. a peak limiter applied or not applied at the mastering stage.  Interesting.

http://www.paulmccartney.com/bandontherun/eur.html
    post edited by Kev999 - 2011/06/28 00:38:54

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    Zuma
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/28 07:50:10 (permalink)
    When I first got my SACD player it came with a couple sampler CD's. On one of them was the Stones' "She's a Rainbow". It was nothing short of mind blowing. My SACD player was hooked up to a Yamaha Natural Sound 5.1 HTR. I sat in the middle and cranked it and was totally mesmerized at how dynamically rich and texturous the mix/recording was... truly a jaw dropping moment as it wasn't just loud, clear and punchy, it was fecking alive!! :)

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/28 09:56:12 (permalink)
    You know bit, I've often wondered why people go through great lengths to make stuff so loud, it loses dynamics. I think we have all probably pondered that. Then it hit me...classic rock stuff doesn't really get as much push in the "new music" category and even when it is a bit loud, it's nothing like the newer stuff we hear.

It seems like the stuff with extreme gain guitars is always the loudest. Even if you push the classic rock stuff, it still seems to breathe on its own a bit. For some of this new stuff though, it actually doesn't sound as good when you add dynamics to it. LOL! It just needs to be wide open...it's almost like a punk attitude...loud, proud, and aggressive.

Now I'm not one that takes part in the loudness wars though some of my stuff is a bit loud. I feel just about all music needs to breathe...but some stuff...it just seems to push it over the edge when it doesn't breathe or doesn't breathe as much..if that makes sense? When I master stuff here for clients, I try like heck not to push things too hot. But for the heavier stuff...especially this nu-breed metal stuff, it just seems to sound better with that push. It's actually gross, but it works. LOL! But to push classic stuff up that hot...it would just sound bad and the reason being, it's clean as is with maybe a little bit o' grit. Jack up the cleaner stuff...it doesn't get punchy...it gets nasty sounding. Jack up this newer stuff...it's almost like it doesn't matter as long as the snare drum doesn't lose it's pop/crack...and the additional loudness literally helps the impact of the tune. Trust me, I really do hate all this loud stuff and the day it totally goes away is a day that will make me happy. However, in certain situations and styles of music, I feel that it makes a difference in a good way and without it, the music just is sort of missing something. Make sense at all?

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    bitflipper
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/28 11:08:09 (permalink)
    Astute observations, Danny. Your music reflects your thoughtful attitude, too. It walks the line between aggression and musicality. I don't know how old you are, but I suspect you sometimes feel you were born too late. You would have done well in the 70's, I think.

Heavy compression is nothing new. It's as old as amplified guitars.

Cranking up a tube amp until the input stage clips and the output stage saturates is a time-honored tradition, and the primary effect - aside from the added harmonics - is long sustain, subdued attack and uniform volume. Distorting a guitar is a form of extreme compression that fills the sonic space with a wash of sound, a sort of audio glue that fills all spaces.

Problems arise when you attempt to apply that principle to an entire mix. As that sonic glue fills in all the holes, that's when the music starts to suffer.

Holes are as important as notes. Without them there is no contrast, no way to make any elements poke out and get your attention. No punch. When everything is loud, nothing is loud.

Those old classic rock records were recorded differently: typically, the whole band played at once and only vocals and solos were overdubbed.

The significance of that difference is that when the whole band plays together you pretty much mix in real time via the arrangement. You already know how the components will fit together, and have already figured out how to keep them from clashing.

This, I think, is why they don't get better when you compress them more. Why the vinyl versions are often preferred over "remastered" CD re-issues. The added compression works against the original arrangement.

Modern product, OTOH, is designed for uniform volume from the start. Each layered part fills more of the holes until the remaining ones can easily be vanquished by a limiter. More than just heavy compression, it's a whole different aesthetic, one in which even the briefest silence is to be filled lest the quiet lose the audience's attention for a millisecond.

My Stuff
    batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/28 11:33:50 (permalink)
    listen to the song "No Quarter", off of Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy album.

loud.

holy cow.

when i ran all my mixes down to stereo files for the album i'm working on, the peaks were typically -6db, and the RMS values were typically around -22db.

i really like the sound of the mixes without the mastering for final levels.

very punchy, very dynamic.

i often wonder if the mastering does more of a disservice, than service.

of course, no one would listen to my tunes side by side a bunch of IPOD-ripped aiff's that have peaks of -.1 and rms of -9......!!
    LOL

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/28 11:40:16 (permalink)
    bit-
    always dug the nightfly album.

got it, when it first came out.......

still use 'aja' as a go-by for certain types of songs.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/28 12:01:10 (permalink)
    Well said bit, and thanks for the kind words. Yeah man, 10 years too late to be exact..maybe 12. LOL! Born and raised on all the late 60's and early 70's stuff. Then I got the 80's guitar bug when I was 14 and well, I kinda turned into a melodic rocker with some 70's roots mixed with some 80's guitar acrobatics. I was into stuff like Gentle Giant, YES, Boston, Kansas, Chicago, The Who, Beatles, Alice Cooper, Billy Joel, Foreigner, Zep, Floyd, Steely, Doobies...you get the idea. Then the newer stuff bit me due to the insane guitar stuff that was presented...so I kinda started to run with that...and then decided I was really liking blues, so I went back a bit.

You're right....the holes say it all really. They don't seem to exist today unless something is acoustic. The rock stuff is just all filled up and is much more sonic now. The more gain on instruments, the more it fills up those holes that are so important. I think that's one of the reasons I only use 2 rhythm guitars in my stuff today. I was starting to enjoy some of the newer music how they rhythm guitars just seemed to be everywhere in a mix. It just sounded so huge even if I didn't like the song. I wanted to get that sound so I experimented with all sorts of guitar layering. A good example of this done the right way if you get a minute, is to check out that song by Creed called "Overcome". Whoever mixed that album had a clue in my opinion. It's loud yet dynamic, has the layering thing going on done right and it just sounds incredible. When it backs down, it literally backs down even though it's up to snuff with today's standards. That's pretty much what I'm striving to do and that album has become one of my bench marks for the newer stuff. I really think it's cool when newer albums have that little bit of edge to them. As long as it's not overkill like some of the stuff we've heard, it's ok in my book because I have to take the style into account.

Just think how bad Bryan Adams would sound being all pumped up like that. Then again, I have me doing my own version of Run to You that you'd probably enjoy. Loud and proud with modern sounds...yet I stick to the original game plan and just kinda heavied it up to my standards. But if I would have tried to redo the tune using older sounds, there's no way I would have even attemped to push it due to the stuff you have mentioned. Those "holes" you mentioned are definitely the key as well as having instruments that have less gain. Those big guitar sounds with gobs of gain can really take up space to the point where there is no where left to go. Add drive on a bass like some of these guys are doing now days and it takes up even more space and the holes are nearly all filled. Limit the crap out of it and it's just one big mash of sonic noise.

See that's another thing to keep in mind also. The older sounds allowed people to hear the rooms in which they were recorded in. These days, everything is pretty up front and in your face and you don't hear much room if any at all. The room sounds added a nice dimension to the material...but at times, some of it was a bit over-kill too...just like anything else really. With all this direct sounding up front stuff, it changes things. Not to mention I'd be willing to bet there is more direct recording or at least hybrids going on than we know. It's almost like people are afraid to admit that they used a modeler or something. People will argue "there's nothing like a cranked tube amp" however, that sound simply doesn't work for everyone and is not the holy grail of tone for all applications. Sometimes a modeler or an up front sound is the better choice or a hybrid of both. But again, like you said, the more we fill those holes up, the more we lose some elements and gain more of a sonic element. It works for some things, fails miserably for others just like modern music with these holes may not work all the time. ;)
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/06/28 12:06:53

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/28 12:12:36 (permalink)
    "...unless something is acoustic"

Is that the 8 bars that always happens before the song kicks in?

:-)

:-)

ltb
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2707
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/28 12:58:41 (permalink)
    And there's this gem from his partner Walter Becker. Mastered with a typical DR of today but clear as a bell.
    Also mixed by Elliot Scheiner, produced by Larry Klein.

http://walterbecker.com/cmfaq.html#q1

player-
    http://walterbecker.com/wimpypop2.html
    post edited by carl - 2011/06/28 13:15:02
    bitflipper
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/28 17:22:15 (permalink)
    Thanks for that link, Carl.

That Becker collection just might be a candidate for filling a gap in my reference library, as I have very little on file representing the last 5 years. Not that I hate everything recent, it's just that nothing has stood out as being worthy of emulation. Study, perhaps, but not emulation.

Interesting contrast to Fagen - obviously MUCH louder, and lacking the tonal subtleties of Nightfly. The arrangements are sparse, which helps a lot. But it's all so close and in-yer-face. Fagen's sounds like I'm in the audience hearing a great band playing in a nice-sounding room. Becker's sounds like my seat is uncomfortably close to the PA.

My Stuff
    Zuma
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/28 19:48:00 (permalink)
    You might like Walt's "11 Tracks of Whack" better from a mastering standpoint. That one came out in the 80's and has a much kinder bent to the ears. Some nice stuff on there though still not as polished as Nightfly. Always thought it had a home studio feel to it and Fagan shows up on sax and keys for one or two songs. Great album to have a drink or two or three and watch the sunset. Late spring and summer always makes me want to listen to Steely.

Edit: I stand corrected. That one came out in '94.
    post edited by Zuma - 2011/06/28 19:56:52

bitflipper
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/28 21:13:13 (permalink)
    11 Tracks of Whack

Oh yeh, I like the sound of that one much better. Very clean and punchy. And available used for the bargain price of just 2 bucks plus shipping.

My Stuff
    Zuma
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/28 21:46:35 (permalink)
    Good stuff, huh? I dig the buddhist monk chanting at the end of Surf an/or Die. Nice touch.

You know one other recording from the 80's that always stood out to me as masterful recording was CSN's Daylight Again. I haven't heard the remastered CD yet but I pray they didn't butcher it because that was one awesome sounding recording on cassette. Fantastic drums and reverb tails! Pretty much all their recordings are great but that one is a really polished gem from the 80's IMO.

Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/28 23:55:02 (permalink)
    Most of " Classic references " here were originally mastered for vinyl. The medium itself led to a lack of dynamics  particularly in the low end, and a fairly high signal to noise. So challenges and work arounds lead to producing it as dynamic as possible , or leaving the natural dynamics intact. I think the Night Fly was THE groundbreaking contemporary Digital recording using Sony or mitsubishi digital muti track machines. AND  it's still a standard bearer going on 30 years.

I've taken to duplicating a few songs from the Night-Fly in midi and tracking real guitars and bass to the songs just so I can A/B them to the original recordings.  It's a very cool excersize trying to match instrumentation and Eq's, effects, to the originals.

post edited by Rbh - 2011/06/29 00:04:43

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    bitflipper
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/29 10:13:51 (permalink)
    Finding good references from the 80's and 90's is pretty easy, and I have a few from the early 2000's. But most of what I have that's contemporary AND worthy of emulation are really anachronisms and anomalies.

Example: Seal's "Soul and R&B" (2008) is very dynamic and clean-sounding. But it's a collection of live covers of classic 60's songs and not at all representative of contemporary standards. It is a joy to listen to, especially if, like me, you miss the days when "R&B" was characterized by powerful melodies and interesting arrangements.

I have even been betrayed by oldies on CD. Check out this one:

You'd never guess that's George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord", from the 2001 remaster of "All Things Must Pass", coming in at -7.5db average RMS.

Harrison himself complained about it but died shortly after its release (coincidence, I'm sure). Boosting levels is one thing, but this album is actually defective, with thousands of overs. An unforgivable sin IMO when remastering a classic. I have not been able to determine who the mercenary was that performed the mastering job.
    post edited by bitflipper - 2011/06/29 10:28:28

My Stuff
    batsbrew
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/29 10:41:28 (permalink)
    holy crap.

well, i feel good about my current levels on the trial masters i'm getting back..
    they're about -11.5 rms average.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

bitflipper
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/29 10:53:24 (permalink)
    Here's an interesting article. It's a few years old but it succinctly summarizes the reasons why contemporary music all sounds the same. Whether or not a song gets radio airplay comes down to focus groups listening to 7-second excerpts. Stairway to Heaven would have never gotten on the radio by those standards, it takes too long to get going.

My Stuff
    batsbrew
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/29 12:24:04 (permalink)
    Here's an interesting article.

i like to write music that is clearly 180 degrees from this.

LOL

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

bitflipper
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/29 15:21:51 (permalink)
    Me, too. Fortunately, there are others as well. Too bad we can't use radio anymore to find them.

My Stuff
    Zuma
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/29 22:37:02 (permalink)
    I always catch hell for saying this but the state of music today, both creatively and production-wise, is an embarrassment. I hear better music here on the song forum and Heineken commercials. Pretty soon they'll be selling recievers and players without volume knobs because everything will already be at ear splitting levels the second you hit play... Oh yeah, did I mention the vast majority of today's music sucks and is horrendously bland and boring? No offense to Lady Gaga fans, I'm well aware of how talented she is and how ground breaking and revolutionary her songs are... yyyyaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwnnnnn.

bitflipper
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/30 10:43:43 (permalink)
    It's really not the state of music in general that concerns me.

Music generally has never been as healthy or more ubiquitous. 20 years ago nothing like the Songs forum even existed, much less communities of song-makers sharing tunes and tips on a daily basis.

I am optimistic. Music itself thrived for thousands of years before there even was a "music industry". It will still be around long after the industry as we know it today has collapsed from within.

My Stuff
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/06/30 20:56:13 (permalink)
    I think she is amazingly popular and avantegarde... her music is a hugely-mongous money maker... and she's beautiful and vibrant, very sexy - full of energy and creativity...and somehow with all that going for her......Each and every song I've heard is utterly and instantaneously forgettable.

I can put -The Night Fly- or -11 tracks of whack-  on a CD player or Turn Table and play it all day long for a month and not find something interesting, either concentrating on it or in passing. That's how I judge composition and production.
    post edited by Rbh - 2011/06/30 21:00:11

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Zuma
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/07/01 08:54:28 (permalink)
    I'm not a good one for this subject. Her music and her act in general is anything but original. I would prefer to listen to Tori Amos or Kate Bush, both of those ladies being on a different plane and were truly original and avantegarde in comparison to LG. I don't see or hear anything about LG I would term as avantegarde. That's my personal opinion and I'm certainly not knocking you for yours. It's just to me, she's nothing more than the latest pop queen incarnation. I don't like pop in general but there was far better, original and more interesting pop in the 80's than there is in the present or even the last decade for that matter. The last good music scene to me was the early 90's alternative scene... but that got over commercialized by the biz as well... still there was great  music early on in that scene.

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/07/01 09:07:37 (permalink)
    With all due respect, while she is shamelessly derivative, Gaga did write some catchy-ass tunes. That being said, I downloaded her current flop album for $.99 the day it was released. Neither my 11 nor 8-year old has bothered to listen to it, both of whom absolutely loved her last album.

If you get caught in the current, it can make for some easy swimming, but you are at its mercy as well. LG is learning that now.
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:20 Years Late Review: Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" 2011/07/01 10:36:02 (permalink)
    "Clive Young of Pro Sound News called Fagen's I.G.Y. the "Freebird" of Pro Audio, citing that almost every live sound engineer uses the song to test the front of house system's sound response."

Clever use of the word "almost". I'm stuck with Katy Lied.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1