Helpful ReplyAny Gigabyte mobo users here? (GSATA question)

Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
2011/12/22 15:39:10
Hi all

On my Gigabyte mobo (a P67A UD7, but I think this applies to many Gigabyte mobos) there is a pair of GSATA controllers alongside the SATA3 and SATA2 controllers, the difference being that the GSATA controllers are connected to 3rd party (Marvell) chipset rather than the Intel chipset.  My only question is why are they there?  Are they to give a higher performance option or are they maybe just 'extra' controllers with lower performance? Or is there no difference in that sense?   

If I was going to reconnect all drives, how would I decide between the GSATA or SATA controllers, assuming I had 2 SATA3 HDDs (one for OS and apps, one for data) and a CD/DVD drive to connect?

I've googled on this and asked on a tech forum, read the mobo manual, looked at Utube vids etc etc but apart from a couple of things implying GSATA should be chosen after the SATA controllers I can't find anything. 

Thanks for any advice.

Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
☄ Helpful
Re:Any Gigabyte mobo users here? (GSATA question) 2011/12/23 10:35:05
My only question is why are they there?

To provide more SATA ports  
I'd use the ports integrated into the chipset first...
wormser
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
☄ Helpful
Re:Any Gigabyte mobo users here? (GSATA question) 2011/12/26 11:58:27
Jim Roseberry

My only question is why are they there?

To provide more SATA ports  
I'd use the ports integrated into the chipset first...

+1
I have the UDR3-X58 board and when I mistakenly loaded the driver and enabled the Giga/Marvel SATA ports my DPC went crazy.

YMMV but that's what happened to me.

Combo
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
Re:Any Gigabyte mobo users here? (GSATA question) 2011/12/27 14:19:01
Thanks for the replies JR and worms (sorry just saw them).  

If the GSATA controllers are only there to provide extra ports the manual should say so  - as far as I knew they might have been meant for particular types of device and it was confusing that the builder of my PC had chosen GSATA for the OS HDD.

I actually found a Gigabyte forum after I posted this and no one on there really knew either apart from saying they should be the last choice of controller for HDDs.   

Thanks again, this is useful as it confirms what I'd managed to pick up elsewhere,  I'll swap the HDDs round accordingly.