Censorship-Studio One Question

Author
BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
2012/02/21 18:13:39 (permalink)

Censorship-Studio One Question

What gives???  Space Cowboy asks a perfectly reasonable question, nobody bags Sonar out and nobody really recomends Studio One yet Brandon comes in all cowboy like and closes the thread.

Not good enough in my opinion, this is the Coffee House and it should be a free area to disscuss the sort of things that Space Cowboy has brought up.

Ben 

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks

28 Replies Related Threads

Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/21 18:23:06 (permalink)
    He had to before Mike and I got here.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/21 18:43:19 (permalink)
    At least he did not delete the fred.

I'd lose like two posts and then I'd be right pissed.

space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/21 21:01:05 (permalink)
    i am afraid to comment

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/21 21:03:32 (permalink)
    didn't he say something about communists in another thread?

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/21 22:11:31 (permalink)
    I'm having trouble believing I have to explain this. Are you really going to go to a Toyota forum and ask what people think of Hondas? C'mon now - let's be adults please. This is a SONAR forum - not a Studio One forum. It's for SONAR users to talk about SONAR. If it were a Studio One question somehow related  to SONAR that would be one thing but an open ended question about what people think of Studio One is obviously not an appropriate topic for the SONAR forum and I'm frankly surprised anyone thinks it is.

And Ben, I'd also appreciate it if you could tone down the rhetoric a bit as well.
    post edited by Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk] - 2012/02/21 22:20:31

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/21 22:38:00 (permalink)
    Wow, Toyota has a forum?

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/21 22:40:28 (permalink)
    craigb

Wow, Toyota has a forum?

There are many Toyota forums.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    trimph1
    Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6348
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/21 23:08:25 (permalink)
    I know there are a few hot rod forums....like The HAMB.....

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
    julibee
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2826
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/22 02:49:12 (permalink)
    Brandon, I usually steer very far away from commenting about things that are controversial, and which do not involve me personally, etc, and I've no desire to ruffle feathers, but yeah... I actually *Would* pose the Honda question on the Toyota forum.  They are exactly the people I want to hear from... How do you Toyota users feel that it compares? I would not ony expect brand loyalty, but also to hear things that I dont find in other reviews.  Isn't that what the software forum here is for? Non Sonar-Related software?  I do realize by that logic, this thread doesn't belong here-here or wherever it started...

Not yanking your chain--- just that I would have enough faith in the product and the user community to know how it would shake out.  Or at least take something back to think about.  Maybe some of us need to be told to simmer down on occasion, yes.  Usually.  :)

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
    Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/22 04:19:00 (permalink)
    Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
    ]

craigb

Wow, Toyota has a forum?

There are many Toyota forums.
    Hmm...  I wonder what they call their equivalent of the Coffee House there...

"Low Gear?"
    "Reverse?"
    "The Scrap Heap?"
    "Recalls?"
    "Spare Parts?"
    "Parked In The Gutter?"
    "The Yugo Experience?"
    "コーヒー・ハウス?"

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/22 06:19:37 (permalink)

It's for SONAR users to talk about SONAR.

I thought the purpose of the CH was to provide Bapu space to increase his post count and for Conquistador to tell me what a sexy mutha I am...

As far as 'censorship' goes this is a private forum so it is for the hosts to decide the threshold of acceptability on subject material.

Having said that though I have noted over the years many discussions about the comparitive merits of supplemental and even competing products and have enjoyed the fact they have been largely tolerated as valid points of discussion and dealt with openly.

I genuinely hope that stays as being the norm here, as I honestly stated that I believe the product in question is a supplement rather than replacement and it would be a shame if discussions on the wealth of available products were completely stifled in future.

That kind of 'censorship' happens to a larger degree on some other forums, where the mere mention of competition sees a thread deleted, whereby on others it seems to be much more tolerated and it has always been a refreshing part of the Cakewalk forums that an openess around the mention of other products has prevailed.  That policy has always indicated confidence to me. 

Being truthful I've seen plenty of behaviour that would have prompted me to throw out people that were supposed guests in my parlour.

At the end of the day it comes down to a judgement call rather than anything sinister when moderating any kind of board.  You'll get the thumbs up for some decisions and you'll get lambasted for others.

C'est la vie.

This community has developed and rocks basically because Cakewalk is one of the better companies in this regard.  IMHO of course.

post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/02/22 06:39:09

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/22 07:03:57 (permalink)
    Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk

It's for SONAR users to talk about SONAR.

Does this mean I can't mention my cowbell any more?  or my Anschutz?

And Ben, I'd also appreciate it if you could tone down the rhetoric a bit as well.
    I heard a roo rume whisper that there's a new PC plugin in X1e for that...

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/22 07:20:17 (permalink)
    I thought the same thing Karyn... where does it stop? No more discussions about preamps, I/O, hardware synths... heck even real life 4k consoles may become off limits.

I find a sad irony in the fact that forum user Space Cowboy seems to never, or at least very rarely, make criticism about Cakewalk products.  We've known him forever. As he says, he ran Cakewalk DOS and he has upgraded 10+ times in the past 18 years or so.

His insights and opinions about Cakewalk products and some of the alternatives can be very valuable or they can be dismissed.

If Cakewalk chooses to dismiss the fact that, as in this instance, a veteran Cakewalk user simply wants to inquire about alternatives, then Cakewalk is demonstrating that it is in a very bad mood.

I think the hi yield response would have been to have someone at Cakewalk make gentle and sincere inquiries with Space Cowboy in an effort to discover why a long time Cakewalk customer might feel curious about alternatives.

Cakewalk could learn a lot from a repeat customer with a huge M.I. budget like the Space Cowboy.

I know I learned something.

best regards,
    mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2012/02/22 08:30:18

Jonbouy
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/22 07:33:29 (permalink)
    I gave Space my considered answer candidly.

It's still there.

Had the question been asked in the 'Software' forum I would imagine the thread would still be unlocked too.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/02/22 07:36:31

trimph1
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/22 08:04:42 (permalink)
    I just posted the question at Software...

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?high=&m=2497811&mpage=1#2497811

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/22 08:13:02 (permalink)
    I posted Ben's reply,   who's gonna re-post the next reply?

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Foster Mansfield
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 47
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/22 08:16:46 (permalink)
    Here here !!
    As i much maligned Trance /Techno producer signed to one of the last independant labels in the U.K.(ozon/The Black Label), I take alot of stick for using Cakewalk other than Pro Tools or logic AND "QUITE FRANKLY DONT GIVE 2 HOOTS FOR OTHER SOFTWARE!!!!! " 

Foster =iNTEL i 7/X3d Producer/Pro Tools 10/
    FL10Producer/Sony Sound Forge 7/Ableton Live 9/  
    Neve 1073DPD /Alesis 3632 Compressor/Jupiter 80/KorgTriton/KorgLittlePhatty/Sylenth/Omnisphere/D-CAM SYNTH Squad/KorgMiniMoog/ Trillion/Nexus 2 
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/22 09:13:13 (permalink)
    Jonbouy

Had the question been asked in the 'Software' forum I would imagine the thread would still be unlocked too.

mike_mccue

I thought the same thing Karyn... where does it stop? No more discussions about preamps, I/O, hardware synths... heck even real life 4k consoles may become off limits. 

Big +1 to both points.

With all due respect Brandon, the index page description of the Software Forum states: Discussion focused on non-Cakewalk audio software.

It could be argued that that is a pretty accurate euphemism for "The Competition".

I could understand if Space's thread had been moved to Software, but locking it seems a little heavy handed considering the circumstances.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/22 09:16:11 (permalink)
    I don't know Brandon.  I am a huge cake supporter (call me a fanboi!).  I have only dabbled in other DAWs, even when you consider I used a different one before I started with cake in early 2006.  but since 2006 sonar has been not only my "primary" but really my "only" DAW and that's where I spend my money.

Also, I'm usually a big supporter of mods' actions.  In fact sometimes I think people get away with more than they should on the forums and sometimes I think the mods are too generous in that respect.  that's OK - it's cake's forum, not mine.

having said all that, I still think that locking the S1-2 thread in question was a little too "heavy handed" IMO.  It wasn't even a discussion which bashed sonar.  I've seen threads upstairs that have been much worse about heaping on the abuse regarding how bad sonar is and how great Reaper or S1, or PT or [insert your favorite non-cake DAW name here] is.

this particular thread was simply discussion regarding another product and there was no bashing or gnashing of teeth or even name calling in that thread.  yes, there was disagreement and hearsay - but you can't close every thread which has any of that or there would probably be only about 3 threads left.    and those would probably be "unfunny" threads by the Bapu in the Coffee House. 

I fully believe that you and the other mods have full authority to lock, delete, or edit any thread you deem necessary and I abide by the final decisions.  But in this case, I just had to say that I think it was a little "over the top" IMO.  It makes cake look more "paranoid" instead of the typical relaxed atmosphere we used to have around here (and that's not directed at the mods, actually - the relaxed atmosphere went away over a year ago due to a change in user attitudes, IMO).

it's your decision and I stand by what you decide.  But I needed to say that I believe you might have been hasty in closing this particular thread. 

just my 2 cents.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/22 09:22:27 (permalink)

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

trimph1
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/22 09:26:02 (permalink)
    timidi

uh oh..
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2497811

Yep.

A little 'experiment' if you will....

Bushpianos
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/22 09:34:38 (permalink)
    trimph1

timidi

uh oh..

Yep.

With the very greatest of respect Barry, I don't really think that trying to 'belittle' or 'trick', or accuse Brandon (or the Mods in general) of hypocrisy like this is the appropriate way to get your point across.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

trimph1
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/22 09:45:11 (permalink)
    SteveStrummerUK

trimph1

timidi

uh oh..

Yep.

With the very greatest of respect Barry, I don't really think that trying to 'belittle' or 'trick', or accuse Brandon (or the Mods in general) of hypocrisy like this is the appropriate way to get your point across.

I know what you are getting at. It just struck me that if one could post it in Software that there might be a chance that some kind of dialog could occur about that program. But if one of the mods deems it unnecessary to bring it up again then it could be deleted. 

Bushpianos
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/22 10:41:35 (permalink)
    Cakewalk owns the site so they set the rules. But yeah, they seem inconsistent to me. We can talk about other software synths, not just Dim Pro, Rapture, etc. And we can talk about other interfaces, not just the Cakewalk/Roland ones. But just don't mention other DAW software!!!!
    bapu
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/22 10:51:35 (permalink)
    There are other DAW softwares?
    UbiquitousBubba
    • Total Posts : 8912
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/22 10:54:00 (permalink)
    [pushes Big Red Button]

Not anymore...
    bapu
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/22 10:54:51 (permalink)
    Mebee Maurice should have asked, can I rewire <X> into SONAR?
    Jonbouy
    Re:Censorship-Studio One Question 2012/02/22 11:54:25 (permalink)
    bapu

Mebee Maurice should have asked, can I rewire <X> into SONAR?

No, then somebody if they were being honest would have had to answer.  "Not without issues."

I wouldn't have wanted to be that person given the circumstances.

post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/02/22 11:59:39

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1