Piano roll weakness ? (how to properly delete mod wheel / pitch bend data) ?

Author
tomixornot
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1674
2012/04/11 11:52:12 (permalink)

Piano roll weakness ? (how to properly delete mod wheel / pitch bend data) ?

Edited the title.. which describe the problem clearer.

While using Garritan Jazz Band, I need to interact a lot with the mod and pitch bend. The way Garritan uses the mod wheel for volume control, sometime it's best to just record the notes first and later erase all mod wheel events and re-record it as another pass.

This is where I found it confusing while using the piano roll. Whenever I double click on a midi clip, the piano roll will open, and the velocities are shown in a bottom windows below the notes. However, the CC events (mod / pitch bend) does not necessary opens up correctly. For example, I may have 5 tracks (one for each midi channel). Say, I click on track 1, but CC events for another midi channel is shown instead. Sometimes, the CC events will not show at all, while I will see the notes and velocities.

I may need to click on the (+ / -) to expand the CC events windows, but it's not in a predictable manner. I just click on it till it shows up. Then if I close the piano roll, and further clicking on the clip, I may have to repeat this process.

Anyone seen this issue as well ?

Edit : this happens after I bounce to clip (notes + mod events).. so it's the single clip I'm clicking.

Thanks.
post edited by tomixornot - 2012/04/11 20:04:40

4 Replies Related Threads

tomixornot
    Re:Piano roll weakness ? I must have missed some setting ? 2012/04/11 17:42:33 (permalink)
    Maybe my approach is not right (to erase the CC event at piano roll) ? 

So.. how do you over dub mod wheel and pitch bend ?
    tomixornot
    Re:Piano roll weakness ? I must have missed some setting ? 2012/04/11 20:06:47 (permalink)
    Image taken from Garritan / Sonar tutorial.. The older sonar, I think the CC edit is much more functional.

lorneyb2
    • Total Posts : 1667
    Re:Piano roll weakness ? I must have missed some setting ? 2012/04/11 21:03:44 (permalink)
    If you prefer working in envelopes, in Track View - Clips menu (at the bottom) in convert midi controllers to envelopes.  You would then select the controller you want to convert (controller 1 with the track selected) and it will remove the CC1 data from the lane and change it to an envelope.  The go to track view in in the Edit filter select Automation - Mod wheel (or CC1) and you can then edit it.  If you want to start from scratch (remove all CC1 data) for that track and re-record then just right click the envelope and select delete envelope and all your CC1 data for that track will be gone(both envelope and CC lane).

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Win 8.1 Pro 64bit,  Quad Core 3.2GHz,  16G ram, Edirol FA 101, Nvidia
    EW (Platinum Orchestra, Hollywood Strings, Pianos, Gypsy, Fab 4, Ministry of Rock,Choirs, etc)

Wave
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 174
    Re:Piano roll weakness ? (how to properly delete mod wheel / pitch bend data) ? 2012/04/11 21:38:30 (permalink)
    This may have something to do with screen sets if you are using X1 and locking the screen set.
    You could try to set up everything the way you want it in the PRV with the screenset unlocked.
    Then save the project and  Sonar will capture the current setup for that screenset.  Then lock that Screen set.

You can still work on newly created clips for those specific  tracks you locked  into the PRV .

I found the PRV track pane to be effected by Screen sets.  So maybe the controller pane is also.

Cheers,

Wave

Sonar Producer Expanded X1d 64
    Windows 7 Pro SP1, i7-2600k 3.4GHz, Crucial SSD Drives,
    16 GB1866MHz Ram, Radeon HD6800-3 displays
    Lynx L22 Sound Card , Mackie HR624 Monitors
    PCR-500 Keyboard Controller
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1