Saving Sonar Project

Author
turnkey
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2012/04/20 14:03:00 (permalink)

Saving Sonar Project

Hi 
I'm new working with Sonar but not new working with any other DAW (Protools) and I have a client that want me to finish a project that he have in Sonar. So here is the question, when you guys recorded in Sonar and save the session does Sonar create an audio folder with all the audio files (WAV) on it or not? Or only saved the project as a Sonar project and that it's? So if that is the case here is another question, where all the audio files go? 

Thanks

9 Replies Related Threads

djtrailmixxx
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re:Saving Sonar Project 2012/04/20 14:31:21 (permalink)
    Sonar does usually create a project specific audio folder.... but you dont have to use it, so it depends on what the client did. You could have him export his project as a .CWB or Cakewalk Bundle and you would be covered in any case.

Sonar Platinum X64 - Win 10 x64 - Intel SB-E 3930 - Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 - 16GB DDR3 - AMD R290X - 4x 1TB SSD RAID 0 (Sys and Data partitions) - 2x UAD2 Quad - 1x UAD2 Octo - UAD Apollo Dual
    musicroom
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2421
    Re:Saving Sonar Project 2012/04/20 14:42:50 (permalink)
    turnkey

Hi 
    I'm new working with Sonar but not new working with any other DAW (Protools) and I have a client that want me to finish a project that he have in Sonar. So here is the question, when you guys recorded in Sonar and save the session does Sonar create an audio folder with all the audio files (WAV) on it or not? Or only saved the project as a Sonar project and that it's? So if that is the case here is another question, where all the audio files go? 

Thanks

+1

Sonar creates an audio file folder for each project. That happens when the user creates a folder for a project and saves the project/song in that folder. 

If the user did not create a specific folder for the project/song, then sonar creates an Audio folder in the directory that he used to save the project.

Most people use this type of format to store their songs:

D:\Sonar Projects\Song Name\

In that example, Sonar will automatically create a folder and name it "Audio" -  and store all audio data there... So if you were to open that directory you would see something like this example:

Dave
    Songs

turnkey
    Re:Saving Sonar Project 2012/04/21 07:45:36 (permalink)
    Thanks for your replies guys. 

I asked this questions because I like to have the audio folder in case I have to use them on Protools (normally is what I always use), but in this case the only the customer gave me was the .CWB file without any audio file folder. So I'm forced to use Sonar to finish the project. BTW, the customer is my niece so I'm more than compromised to finish the project...LOL.
    Its any other way around to get the audio files from the .CWB file? 

Thanks again 

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Saving Sonar Project 2012/04/21 08:23:06 (permalink)
    If it is a CWB file (as opposed to CWP) then the audio should be in that file. The B stands for bundle. i.e. project plus audio.

I assume the only way to get at the audio is via Sonar though. You could then export tracks/stems for use in PT.
    turnkey
    Re:Saving Sonar Project 2012/04/21 10:21:24 (permalink)
    The audio is with the .CWB file, but I cant use that audio file (.CWB) in Protools. I dont have the separate folder with the audio files (.WAV), the only I have is the . CWB. I dont have ptoblems is I work in Sonar but I will like to be able to work in Protools. I tried to export the files but I get an .WAV error.
    turnkey
    Re:Saving Sonar Project 2012/04/21 12:13:47 (permalink)

No, I dont have anything like that.
    The problem that I have is that my niece only have the Sonar .CWB project file, no other files were given to her by the other engineer.
    But I just started playing with all the save features and I found the way to save the files again and create a folder with the audio files on it.
    This is what I did:
    1- Checked "Create one file per clip 
    2- Unchecked the "copy all audio with project"
    3- Save as type "Cakewalk Bundle"

and then Sonar created a new audio folder with all the .WAV files on it 

Now I just uploaded all the new WAV files to Samplitude just to double check and they work perfect. So I can use them with other DAW and I'm not tie with Sonar. I dont have anything against Sonar, but I never use it before so I'm a newbie and I prefer to work with the DAW that I now like Protools and Samplitude.
    musicroom

turnkey

Hi 

Thanks

+1

Sonar creates an audio file folder for each project. That happens when the user creates a folder for a project and saves the project/song in that folder. 

If the user did not create a specific folder for the project/song, then sonar creates an Audio folder in the directory that he used to save the project.

Most people use this type of format to store their songs:

D:\Sonar Projects\Song Name\

In that example, Sonar will automatically create a folder and name it "Audio" -  and store all audio data there... So if you were to open that directory you would see something like this example:

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Saving Sonar Project 2012/04/21 12:51:50 (permalink)
    Don't save as CWB. Save as CWP with per project audio files. CWB is easier corrupted that CWP and if a CWB gets corrupted, your SOL. Unlike a CWP and per project.

You should have at least 3 copies of each project and you should back up after each session. Keep one back up off site, in case of fire or theft.

You should also have a dedicated hard drive for saving your CWP with per project audio files.

CJ

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    musicroom
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2421
    Re:Saving Sonar Project 2012/04/21 12:58:30 (permalink)
    CJ is telling you good stuff here. I stay away from bundles - I've used them without problems, but others here has reported problems from time to time.

Dave
    Songs

turnkey
    Re:Saving Sonar Project 2012/04/21 14:51:57 (permalink)
    I didnt created the original files because I didnt recorded the music, so I dont have any backup or anything. The engineer that recorded the music was so stupid that he only gave my niece the project (CWB) file alone without anything else. I just tried to created someWAV file to use them in other DAW. So far the way I did it I can use them in Samplitude but not in Protools.

CJ,
    I dont use Sonar as a dedicated DAW, I been using Protools way before it was called Protools more than 25 years ago. All my system in my studio is based on Protools. I just doing a favor to my niece. 

I wanted to finish the project in Protools but its working in Samplitude, so I will finished with it
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1