Helpful ReplyHow to FIX Problems with Izotope Stutter Edit

Author
musec03
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 283
2012/07/16 17:22:17 (permalink)

How to FIX Problems with Izotope Stutter Edit

Howdy All....

I purchased Izotope Stutter Edit through Cakewalk's special offer.
Had a perplexing problem using it.

As always, the staff at Cakewalk Tech Support came through and helped me fix the problem.

Hats off to Dean who guided me through the process.... Ryan was there and posted his fix for us to see in my post earlier today.

I wanted to make sure everyone could see this so here goes: (my followup to this appears as a reply to this post)

===========

One of our guys internally was just asking me about this (I assume he was speaking with you musec03) and referenced this forum thread.

I've run into this previously. There is a CLSID clash in the Cakewalk Plug-in Manager if you scan BOTH the 32-bit and 64-bit instances of iZotope Stutter Edit. I'm not sure of any work-around personally other than NOT using the 32-bit version in 64-bit SONAR at the same time you are also using the 64-bit version. You can try editing the .dll file name to add "64" to the beginning of it, but I haven't personally had good results with this technique as there are two .dlls for Stutter Edit and things can get confusing. You're welcome to experiment, but my suggestion would be use the 32-bit version in 32-bit SONAR and the 64-bit version in 64-bit SONAR.

I've resolved this on my own system in the past as well as with other end users by doing the following:
  1. In the registry editor, I manually removed all references of Stutter Edit under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR Producer\Cakewalk VST X64\Inventory
  2. I had 4 entries under this path, so I had to remove each one of them. If you're not comfortable in the registry, be very careful. Make a backup before changing anything.
  3. Afterwards, I made a point to exclude the 32-bit version of Stutter Edit from my VST Scan Paths. It WAS installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Vstplugins so instead I moved it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Vstplugins2
  4. Re-scanned my plug-ins under VST Settings (make sure to select "Re-scan Failed Plug-ins" and "Re-Scan Existing Plug-ins")
  5. Went back to the Cakewalk-Plug-in Manager and opened the VST Properties for Stutter Edit again so that I could "Configure it as Synth"
  6. Closed the Plug-in Manager and at this point it showed up properly under the Soft Synths menu
I hope this helps if anyone else runs into it.

Best regards,

Ryan Munnis
Product Support
Cakewalk, Inc.
musec03
Re:How to FIX Problems with Izotope Stutter Edit 2012/07/16 17:24:11 (permalink)
Here's the final steps Dean & I took after we performed all the things Ryan typed out above....

Thanks Again Ryan... IF I MAY ADD:

Once we went through the steps you've outlined,
  • we went to Audio Track 1, inserted Stutter Edit as an Audio FX,
  • then went into Plug In Manager, opened up Stutter Edit, which was in the VST Effects Category, changed the VST properties to configure as synth.
  • Stutter Edit was moved to VSTi Instruments.
  • We then closed the Plug In Manager.
  • Next we deleted the instance of Stutter which had been inserted as an Audio FX
  • We right clicked in the FX bin, found Stutter Edit in the Soft Synth selection where it should be
  • It Worked!!!
e.Blue
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 693
Re:How to FIX Problems with Izotope Stutter Edit 2012/07/16 17:44:15 (permalink)
I have my 32 bit and 64 bit plugins separated into different folders to avoid issues like that. There really is no reason to load the 32-bit versions of plugins that also have 64-bit equivalents. I've also placed my 32-bit-only plugins into a third folder, which does get scanned by X1 64-bit. 

-e.B

downSouthsidemusic - recording / mixing / mastering / production / custom sounds & loops
Everett 'e.Blue' Garnett - Owner/Operator
Full gear listing available here: Hardware / Software / See us on 
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re:How to FIX Problems with Izotope Stutter Edit 2012/07/17 06:37:18 (permalink)
I have a fourth VST plugin folder for 32 bit plugins that I want in 32 bit SONAR but for which a 64 bit version exists. SONAR x64 doesn't scan this folder but does scan another folder for the 32 bit plugs that need to be bridged.
Normally if SONAR x64 detects that there are both a 32 and 64 bit version named the same it doesn't scan the 32 bit one. This isn't a hard and fast rule hence the multiplicity of folders to do it all.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
pwal
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2909
Re:How to FIX Problems with Izotope Stutter Edit 2012/07/17 09:57:08 (permalink)
doesn't the plugin manager "exclude" resolve this? i.e., exclude the 32bit version in x64 sonar? away from daw so can't check...

list of stuff
Ryan Munnis [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 1067
Re:How to FIX Problems with Izotope Stutter Edit 2012/07/17 10:34:16 (permalink)
pwal

doesn't the plugin manager "exclude" resolve this? i.e., exclude the 32bit version in x64 sonar? away from daw so can't check...

Not that I'm aware of. As mudgel noted above, when both are scanned the 32-bit version doesn't show up in the Cakewalk Plug-in Manager so it's settings can't really be manipulated at all. Everything looks like it should be fine, but when trying to configure the 64-bit version as a synth, the setting doesn't quite take. The check mark for the option sticks and the plug-in moves to VST Instruments section in the Plug-in Manager. The problem is when attempting to insert it to a track it still only shows under Audio FX despite configuring it otherwise.

It's definitely a unique scenario that I can replicate myself pretty easily. I'm not personally sure what's unique about this plug-in that causes it but the above steps seem to be the resolution (or at least the work-around). Some people I've talked with said they didn't need to manually remove any registry keys, but others have said that was the only way to get it to "fix" itself for them.

If I find out some more concrete details I'll be sure to report back.

Ryan Munnis
Cakewalk
musec03
How to FIX Problems with 64 Bit Izotope Stutter Edit 2012/08/18 19:03:16 (permalink)
musec03

Howdy All....

I purchased Izotope Stutter Edit through Cakewalk's special offer.
Had a perplexing problem using it.

As always, the staff at Cakewalk Tech Support came through and helped me fix the problem.

Hats off to Dean who guided me through the process.... Ryan was there and posted his fix for us to see in my post earlier today.

I wanted to make sure everyone could see this so here goes: (my followup to this appears as a reply to this post)

===========

One of our guys internally was just asking me about this (I assume he was speaking with you musec03) and referenced this forum thread.

I've run into this previously. There is a CLSID clash in the Cakewalk Plug-in Manager if you scan BOTH the 32-bit and 64-bit instances of iZotope Stutter Edit. I'm not sure of any work-around personally other than NOT using the 32-bit version in 64-bit SONAR at the same time you are also using the 64-bit version. You can try editing the .dll file name to add "64" to the beginning of it, but I haven't personally had good results with this technique as there are two .dlls for Stutter Edit and things can get confusing. You're welcome to experiment, but my suggestion would be use the 32-bit version in 32-bit SONAR and the 64-bit version in 64-bit SONAR.

I've resolved this on my own system in the past as well as with other end users by doing the following:
  1. In the registry editor, I manually removed all references of Stutter Edit under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR Producer\Cakewalk VST X64\Inventory
  2. I had 4 entries under this path, so I had to remove each one of them. If you're not comfortable in the registry, be very careful. Make a backup before changing anything.
  3. Afterwards, I made a point to exclude the 32-bit version of Stutter Edit from my VST Scan Paths. It WAS installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Vstplugins so instead I moved it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Vstplugins2
  4. Re-scanned my plug-ins under VST Settings (make sure to select "Re-scan Failed Plug-ins" and "Re-Scan Existing Plug-ins")
  5. Went back to the Cakewalk-Plug-in Manager and opened the VST Properties for Stutter Edit again so that I could "Configure it as Synth"
  6. Closed the Plug-in Manager and at this point it showed up properly under the Soft Synths menu
I hope this helps if anyone else runs into it.

Best regards,

Ryan Munnis
Product Support
Cakewalk, Inc.

evaluna001
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: How to FIX Problems with 64 Bit Izotope Stutter Edit 2017/04/05 11:01:12 (permalink)
Hi,
Just bought Stutter Edit, and am having the same problem (Sonar Platinum). I tried the registry deletions and rescanning as suggested above, but it still does not allow me to insert the plug from the Insert Soft Synth...menu. I removed the entire plug in and reinstalled just the 64 bit version and rescanned, still no luck. Anyone got any other ideas how to get this working? Thanks.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: How to FIX Problems with 64 Bit Izotope Stutter Edit 2017/04/05 11:59:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby poetnprophet 2018/06/21 18:17:13
The plug-in is not a synth, it is an FX. It should show in the FX menu. There is no need to force the plug-in to be a synth.

To set up Stutter Edit:
  • Add the plug-in to the FX rack of an audio/aux/instrument track or bus.
  • Select "Enable MIDI Input" from the VST2 drop down in the standard header above the Stutter Edit UI.
  • Add a MIDI track. Set input echo on, input to your controller and output to Stutter Edit.
evaluna001
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: How to FIX Problems with 64 Bit Izotope Stutter Edit 2017/04/05 13:15:56 (permalink)
Hi scook, thanks very much for this, the Izotope manual sent me on a wild goose chase with the synth thing, when it really was as simple as you said. Working fine now, much appreciated!
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: How to FIX Problems with 64 Bit Izotope Stutter Edit 2017/04/05 13:20:16 (permalink)
The iZotope manual like this thread is old. The method of adding FX plug-ins with MIDI control changed with X3. It is possible to configure an FX as a synth using the plug-in properties dialog and use plug-ins the old way. It does save two mouse clicks when adding the plug-in to a project. Still I use the new method.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1