No Windows XP support???

Author
Shayne White
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 306
2012/09/06 11:17:48 (permalink)

No Windows XP support???

According to the new Sonar X2 spec page, the only versions of Windows it will support are Windows 7 and 8. Does that mean that Sonar X2 WILL NOT RUN in Windows XP? I can't upgrade to Win7 because my motherboard chipset has no drivers for it. Am I stuck with Sonar X1 then? Or will Sonar X2 support WinXP even though it's not mentioned? Thanks! -Shayne

23 Replies Related Threads

kevo
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1038
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/06 11:24:02 (permalink)
    Windows XP and Windows Vista are no longer officially supported by CW.
    This means if you have any problems with Sonar running on your system, you are on your own.

For instance, if you find an incompatability (or bug) with Sonar and you are running an unsupported operating system, the chances are your problem will not be addressed.

Support will tell you to upgrade to Win7 or Win8.

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/06 11:28:03 (permalink)
    Does that mean that Sonar X2 WILL NOT RUN in Windows XP?

No, it means its not supported. Meaning it was never tested on it. XP probably works with X2, but it was never tested for it.
    Maybe some things wont work as good or maybe it will work great.
    If your still on XP, its time to upgrade your windows to keep up to date with everythnig anyways.

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    bobguitkillerleft
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 944
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/06 11:30:08 (permalink)
    XP is 10+ years old so I[sort of] understand that,but Vista is so similar to 7 I'd find it surprising that it wouldn't work,although,if you notice the G3 X1 videos,Eli is using XP,and X2 is X1 at its core so it would be of interest for sure to know if it would indeed work,regardless of the support. 
    Bob

https://soundcloud.com/rks26https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitmen Lenovo W540 Factoryrefurb SONAR PLATINUM,Ozone 7 N.I. KA6 Komplete 9 SSD4 Platinum Epi L/H LP Custom Headstock broken twice and fixed.Gibson L/H Les Paul 2010 Wine Red Studio stupid Right Hand Vol.Tone for Left Hand?LH84Ibanez RS135 gen.FloydRose JB Marshall 100w 2203 4x25w Celestion Green backs
    "You are what you is"-Frank Zappa "But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high"-Jimi Hendrix    
    Shayne White
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/06 15:08:56 (permalink)
    So it's "use at your own risk" then? Hmm, I don't want to risk that -- my computer is stable right now and I want to keep it that way! I can't upgrade to Win7 because nVidia's nForce3 chipset isn't supported and there are no drivers. Guess I'll have to stick with Sonar X1. :*(
    mrneil2
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 126
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/06 15:16:20 (permalink)
    I'm using XP also with no money or plans for a new computer in the near future.  Could a knowledgeable computer guy look at my signature and tell me if it's "worth the risk" or am I just dreaming X2  could possibly work on my small system.

neil

Software:Platinum    

Computer: HP Envy  i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz , 8GB Ram, 64bit Operating System, Windows 10
    Western Digital (1TB) External Hard Drive
    Roland Octa-Capture    
    M-Audio Keystation 88es
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/06 15:19:27 (permalink)
    Wait for the demo and check it out for yourself.
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/06 15:26:26 (permalink)
    @mrneil I think you would be pushing it.  The CPU will support 64bit OS but it is single core and not very fast.

This the recommended minimum for X1, IMO X2 is likely to want more raw power.

The following are the minimum recommended system requirements for SONAR X1 Producer.
    • Windows XP Service Pack 3 (32-bit)/Vista Service Pack 2 (32- or 64-bit)/Windows 7 (32- or 64-bit)*
    • Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.67 GHz/AMD Phenom Quad Core 9750 2.4 Ghz
    • 2 GB RAM
    • 1280x800 minimum screen resolution
    • 4.5GB for minimal installation, 15GB for complete installation
    • SONAR on DVD: DVD-ROM, DVD+/-R or DVD+/-RW Drive
    • SONAR download: Broadband or better internet connection for download
    • Cakewalk Publisher requires available web server space with FTP access

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    CJaysMusic
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/06 16:39:48 (permalink)
    mrneil2

I'm using XP also with no money or plans for a new computer in the near future.  Could a knowledgeable computer guy look at my signature and tell me if it's "worth the risk" or am I just dreaming X2  could possibly work on my small system.

neil

Yea, your pc doesnt even come close to the minimum requirments.

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/06 17:59:55 (permalink)
    CJaysMusic

mrneil2

neil

But, that does not mean it will not run. It's risky to be sure. I'd not do it. Save your $99 towards an new computer/OS and jump on X3 in a year or two.
    CJaysMusic
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/06 19:19:15 (permalink)
    No, it means it doesnt meet the minimum requirments and thereofre if you have problems, your Shoot out of luck. its kust like running an unsupported windows

Cj

Audio Blog
    Jind
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 878
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/06 19:54:42 (permalink)
    bapu

CJaysMusic

mrneil2

neil

But, that does not mean it will not run. It's risky to be sure. I'd not do it. Save your $99 towards an new computer/OS and jump on X3 in a year or two.

All true, but working and working well can be night and day.  Even though I have an older AMD based quad-core system and it runs fine for my limited needs, I know with each release the need to upgrade is getting closer and closer if I want to operate worry free.  While fear of the "bleeding edge" of technology and introducing something "new" can cause worries, staying with the "tried and true". "it's always worked for me" eventually will cause it's own problems, not the least of which is discontinued support.  There comes a time when it's time to take the plunge.

But I also agree with the idea Bapu is getting at - if what you have works for you as it is, don't just upgrade to get the latest and greatest if it might cause you more heartache and headaches than just waiting until you can upgrade either from desire or true need.

Jind

Sonar X2 PE, Cakewalk V Studio 100; Intel i7 w/ 16 GB Ram, MS Windows 8.1
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/06 20:02:17 (permalink)
    X2 will work on Vista - its just not part of our official test matrix now. 
    What that means is there is a (remote) chance of some operation failing due to differences between Vista and Win7. Its pretty slim though.

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    alexoosthoek
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5238
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/06 20:03:20 (permalink)
    CJaysMusic

No, it means it doesnt meet the minimum requirments and thereofre if you have problems, your Shoot out of luck. its kust like running an unsupported windows

Cj

C'mon CJ, I know a lot of people that don't have 99whatever to spent on food but still want to make music.

Nothing wrong with waiting for the demo, as Ed says.

The CHB
    Some Live Demo's

Various ADK computers   and some thingy's
    Have fun!
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/06 20:07:13 (permalink)
    Ed?
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/06 20:42:53 (permalink)
    scook

Ed?

"Bapu that or Ed"

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/06 20:46:42 (permalink)
    Yes I knew that, just missed where bapu mentioned the demo.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/06 21:32:29 (permalink)
    I would be very, very surprised if X2 didn't run just fine on XP and Vista.

Neil, X2 should run OK even on your modest system. You'll just have to be realistic about how many tracks, effects and synths you can use at once.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    alexoosthoek
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5238
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/07 05:15:06 (permalink)
    scook

Yes I knew that, just missed where bapu mentioned the demo.

I'm sorry sir :)

The CHB
    Some Live Demo's

Various ADK computers   and some thingy's
    Have fun!
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/07 12:20:28 (permalink)
    I can't upgrade to Win7 because my motherboard chipset has no drivers for it.

Without knowing more detail it is difficult to comment, but if you mean that your motherboard manufacturer does not have drivers for download, it does not necessarily mean there are no drivers. Most motherboards are cobbled together from generally available chip sets, so drivers for those chip sets will often work, even though they are not specifically provided for your motherboard brand or model by the manufacturer. Microsoft often integrates drivers for older motherboard chip sets and peripherals in their installation, files for a new OS. Lately they have been acting as a distribution agent for new drivers from hardware manufacturers via their Windows Update site. Those drivers can only be accessed by either installing the OS, or going to Windows/Microsoft Update following installation of a basic system using generic drivers. I have been able to update drivers in this way, even though the hardware manufacturer does not provide access to those drivers on its website. If your machine meets the minimum system requirements, it is worth a try to image your current installation, then try to do an installation of Win 7 or Win8 to see if the drivers are included. If the installation fails, you can always restore your old system from the image.
    Shayne White
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/07 12:47:55 (permalink)
    Those "minimum" system requirements are way over-inflated. I'm running Sonar X1 perfectly fine on my Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4GHz single-core system. Granted, I don't use a lot of soft synths if at all. :) It just depends on what you're doing. If Cakewalk can't guarantee that X2 will work on Vista, let alone XP, I'm not upgrading. And I'm definitely NOT upgrading to Win7 in the hopes that nForce3 MIGHT be supported. It would also cost me another $300+ just to upgrade my Sonic|Core Scope DSP cards to the latest software that supports Win7. It doesn't make sense to sink another $500 into my 7-year-old PC. I'll just have to save up for an entirely new system that's going to cost $5k+ once I include Sonic|Core Scope Xite which would replace my current cards. I am NOT happy.
    jbow
    Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7601
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/07 13:20:21 (permalink)
    Frankly, if I were in your position I would wait to see how it runs BUT (BIG BUT) I would also save some money toward getting Windows 8. I don't plan to go right to W8 BUT if I were having to change I would surely go with W8. 

The only negatives I have heard about W8 are negative comments on how it looks but IIRC you can change to a W7 type screen... besides the desktop look is not going to be up if you are using X2. 

Now on the other hand I have heard nothing but good revies on how well (better than W7) it works with Sonar. W7 is better and faster than XP and if W8 runs a DAW faster than W7... well, what's to not like?

Now, I could have missed some negative review re: W8 and production because I have not made a point to search but as I said, I have seen good reviews from people, some here on this forum, who are running W8 beta and they seem to really like the way it runs Sonar.

So.... I'd wait, but in any case it is time to upgrade as soon as you can. The way things are moving toward tablets and other mobile devices the PC may go the way of the home stereo. In the 70s Pioneer, Sansui, MArantz, Technics, Kenwood, and some others were in a war to put out the best, most powerful stereo... and man, they made some awesome equipment. Then it was over because the market changed. Stereos became lesser quickly. The same thing could well happen to the desktop and Laptop PC. They will still be available but more innovation and effort will be put into tablets and cellphones if I am not missing my guess. Then a top end desktop will likely cost more because it will become more of a specialty item and if the mass market no longer demands a powerful desktop the smaller companies who make the boards and even larger companies like Intel and AMD are going to concentrate on where the money is... just something to think about. 

Shoot, I could be totally wrong but the main point is WAIT and don't upgrade to W7, wait and if you have to upgrade go, to W8... IMO.

But you check it out yourself.

J

Sonar Platinum
    Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
    HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
    CJaysMusic
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/07 20:13:38 (permalink)

C'mon CJ, I know a lot of people that don't have 99whatever to spent on food but still want to make music.

I love how people make up stuff that i never said. where the hell did i say that? I said and ill quote, even with my typo (kust should be just)
    "No, it means it doesn't meet the minimum requirements and therefore if you have problems, your Shoot out of luck. its kust like running an unsupported windows.

Come on alex, please don't make stuff up and say stuff that isn't true. Its un freakin cool

Audio Blog
    Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re:No Windows XP support??? 2012/09/07 22:34:35 (permalink)
    I agree with startafartblast

Pull your C drive and put it on the shelf
    Install a new drive ( $65 )
    Install windows 7 64 bit and see what happens.
    88% chance it will run perfectly fine.
    It's one of W7 greatest attributes.   how easy it makes installing new components and peripherals . It seems to recognize everything you can through at it. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1