VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Author
Frick
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/18 21:38:43 (permalink)
Hi All,

Just wanted to report a fix for an issue that I previously reported regarding the Jog/Shuttle control. 

While continuing to investigate this problem... which was driving me crazy... I went through the MIDI Preferences again. I discovered that the issue was in the "MIDI > Playback and Recording" Section. Under the "Record" heading There are a series of check boxes such as;

Allow MIDI Recording 
Notes
Key Aftertouch
Controller
Patch Changes
......... etc.

Now one would think that this is applicable to "Recording" MIDI information. NOT SO! 

I found that if the "Controller" checkbox is left unchecked, you loose the Jog/Shuttle control on the VS700.

Could someone (Mully maybe??) Check to see if they can duplicate this functionality by changing this setting? So... Unchecked ... no Jog/Shuttle... Checked - All is OK!

Next question would be... WHY?

Thanx Guys and/or Ladies

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
AMEK/TAC 24x16x2 console, MOTU 24I/O, QUAD Core XEON (16GB Ram, 1 TB), VS700 System, SONAR X2 , yamaha NS10s, Yamaha HS 8s, Axiom pro46, Ensonic ESQ10

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/20 14:31:25 (permalink)
X2a just got released. Here are the documented fixes

VS-700 & Control Surfaces

• Can't navigate through ProChannel modules with EQ-button on VS-700C (CWBRN-11398, CWBRN-11014, CWBRN-11154)
  • VS-700C does not disarm/disable record or enable/disable input monitoring on Instrument Tracks (CWBRN-8219, CWBRN-9657)
  • The delay on VS-700C display when switching between tracks & buses has been improved (CWBRN-10098)
  • The VS-700C does not obey settings under: "Control Strips Visible in" in preferences (CWBRN-11397)
  • The Snap button on the VS-700 Surface does not work consistently (CWBRN-11400)
  • MUTE + SOLO state of Lanes when in Layer/Lane mode has been improved
  • ProChannel parameter and value names are now optimized for VS-700C display
  • ACT Controller configured no longer causes newly added Instrument Tracks strips not to set focus

Download initiated ... but I might not get a serious try before Christmas (stuck with soooooo much work)

For those who can give it a try earlier: Please, start a new thread with observations & hopefully lots of happy end stories
post edited by FreeFlyBertl - 2012/12/20 14:34:22

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
Crg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/20 14:57:59 (permalink)
I just checked the Master list of fixes. Very impressive. I was quietly hoping to see a 64 bit VC-64 Channnel strip plugin. One of my favorites. And I wonder if they will fix the workability of the Fantom Synth in 64 bit Sonar and Windows. Is a 64 bit Fantom V Synth Editor possible? Though it is workable now, the bit-bridge hook-up is less than finished.

Craig DuBuc
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/20 15:05:59 (permalink)
Well, it's a lot better, but it's still not working properly. I'm cycling through ProChannel modules right now using the EQ button, and I can't get it to select the Saturation Knob. I can get the the saturation knob to appear to the console if I click it with the mouse, but the controls don't do anything. I've got to say, I am extremely exasperated and disappointed with this. As much as I hate to be raining on the release day parade, this is a frankly poor show. Four grand, relatively new proprietary hardware set up. What should I do, wait for another patch or just sell off this stuff while it's still got some remaining shred of value? I'm not kidding.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
Ryan Munnis [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 1067
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/20 15:16:14 (permalink)
John T

Well, it's a lot better, but it's still not working properly. I'm cycling through ProChannel modules right now using the EQ button, and I can't get it to select the Saturation Knob. I can get the the saturation knob to appear to the console if I click it with the mouse, but the controls don't do anything. I've got to say, I am extremely exasperated and disappointed with this. As much as I hate to be raining on the release day parade, this is a frankly poor show. Four grand, relatively new proprietary hardware set up. What should I do, wait for another patch or just sell off this stuff while it's still got some remaining shred of value? I'm not kidding.

Hi John,

I don't want to jump the gun, but can we figure out if what you're seeing is system specific first? Let's try to work together. There could definitely be a case of it being unique to you (much like many other reported things in this thread).

I'm able to select the Saturation Knob from the console. Can you force-wipe your VS-700 settings and give it another go to see if it resolves it?

Try doing this:

1) Open the Run Prompt by holding the Windows Key and Pressing R
2) Type in the following: %appdata%\cakewalk\sonar x2 producer
3) Click [OK]
4) Locate and rename "TTSSEQ.ini" and "ctrlsurface.dat". Rename them "backupTTSSEQ" and "backupctrlsurface" or something similar
5) Re-launch SONAR and re-configure the VS-700 in Edit > Preferences > MIDI - Devices and Edit > Preferences > MIDI - Control Surfaces.

At this point, give a fresh project a test and see if you can cycle through as intended.

Ryan Munnis
Cakewalk
Dyonight
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 529
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/20 15:24:43 (permalink)
Thanks Ryan for stopping by,  can't wait to test the console! looks promising enough for me  to be happy 

Sonar Platinum (Latest monthly update) / Roland A300-pro / AMD FX-8350 / Firepro V4900 / 16gb ram / RME HDSPe MadiFx
John T
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/20 15:25:47 (permalink)
It's very easy to recreate in a new project. Start with a blank project. Insert an Audio track, then a MIDI track, and do this three times, so you've got six tracks alternating Audio / MIDI. This is a fairly typical pattern if you're using separate MIDI and playback tracks for soft synths. Then add a saturation knob to the last audio track. select different tracks from the console and use the EQ button to cycle. All is well.

Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
John T
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/20 15:27:49 (permalink)
Now use the console view's Track Manager to hide the midi tracks from the console view, and have the v700 set to match the console view, so the MIDI tracks disappear from the console. Now try selecting the track with the saturation knob on the console and using the EQ button to cycle the modules. Observe that it can't be acquired. The bug seems to be in the showing and hiding of strips from the console, and the problem worsens as the project's complexity increases.

Crg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/20 15:34:06 (permalink)
I'm not quite sure what you're hiding, the midi tracks associated with the audio tracks which are the outputs for the hidden Midi tracks?

Craig DuBuc
Bill Jackson [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 519
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/20 15:34:34 (permalink)
Yes.  Ryan's advice is sound.  But you should be able to "learn" controls to the hardware.  Please try clicking the "Controller/Surface ACT Learn Mode" button in the Control Bar.  Then move the controls on the PC Module and the desired knobs on the VS-700 in the same order.

Bill Jackson
Product Manager
Cakewalk

John T
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/20 15:45:08 (permalink)
No, the problem isn't that the module is fundamentally unrecognised. It all works fine in a basic set up. The problems arise when tracks are hidden from the console.

John T
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/20 16:04:53 (permalink)
I apologise for being so impolite above. I should have raised this in a less irate way.

dahjah
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 313
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/20 20:36:07 (permalink)
John, were you able to try out the recommendation from Ryan?
Frick
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/21 00:20:55 (permalink)
Hi All,

Ok So I've done the X2a install... So far the VS700 seems to be behaving. But I have encountered a few interesting things that I have listed below.

In my current configuration, the 700R is not in the system as of yet... I am just testing the control surface.  

VST Plugin Scanning

So I tried to follow the installation instructions regarding plugins.

Go to Edit > Preferences > File - VST Settings
2.      Click the [Reset All VST Plug-ins] button
When prompted with the message "This will reset configuration settings for all your VST Plug-ins to defaults... Are you sure you want to do this" click [Yes]
Click the [Scan VST Folders] button and wait for the scan to complete

When I did this, the scanner failed. After I Clicked OK the I got tan unhandled exception (I love those...) and a restart message (sorry I was to quick with the mouse and didn't catch the exception but my JIT debugger came up and I closed outof it. It appears that there were 2 areas of failure in rescanning VSTs... while trying to scan the Fantom VS.dll,  I recieve an error message;

"MIDI Devices aren't set up correctly."

So I removed the Fantom VS folder from the vstplugins folder in the SONAR Program File folder... and got passed that.

Next, I use some older MDA plugins... they were located in their own folder named "mda_vst_fx_win" in the vstplugins folder... vst Scanning failed the same way. So I put all of the MDA plugins directly into the vstplugins folder and all but 1 scanned and was loaded successfully.

The older MDA plugin that failed I'm sure was due to the updated redistributable for MS C++ 2012. The plugin that did not load was "mda combo.dll"... For me, no big deal... but some of the older plugins will not load and cause exceptions when they are in older projects.

NOTE: All of the same mda plugins AND the Fantom VS Plugins, installed and scanned-in fine in X2 Build 308, with X2 "Quick fix" patch.

Another Note is that when this exception occurs, the vst scanning process is aborted and the remainder of the vst plugins don't get loaded... like anything that is alphabetically beyond the failed plugin... like True Pianos, for example. So, you might want to consider logging exceptions during this process (try/catch) and continuing loading vst's even if one causes the exception.

JOG/Shuttle Control

I'm liking the Jog/Shuttle behavior after a quick run through, looks a bit smoother.

Question:
How can I control the resolution of the jog control? I can't seem to find this setting? (i.e. jog moves to 1 sec intervals [SMPTE time display], unless in select mode) can I change this?

I also like the more graphic prochannel stuff looks cool! 
Just started to go through the channel Strip controls.

So far, the synth controls/parameters seem to be displaying and functioning with regard to the selected synth.

Nav Buttons and Focus

The <,>,^,V nav buttons are interesting regarding focus... Right now as I write, X2 is up behind this browser. While having this browser in focus, I can press the Synth Rack button (and shift + Synth Rack) to open and close the synth rack... however, when I try to use the nav buttons I can control the cursor in this Quick Reply message window (left, right, up, down)....

Looks like a windows handle issue guys. (how about C++ at the HAL and C# on the GUI ;-) anyway... I digress)... non the less if you select a synth in the rack, the nav button function as expected. Not sure why, but if you click in the rack space, no synth gets focus and the up and down nav buttons select subgroup channels in the master pane, in console view. 

Console View and Focus

If you click on a track in console view, and use the LEFT RIGHT nav buttons, you scroll through the track controls for the selected track in the Tack View, then at the end of the selectable controls, you go to the next track.

When in Console view... using UP/Down nav buttons, The console channels don't scroll left and right if the selected track is out of the window. Kinda sucks that you have to grab the mouse.

Up Down nav buttons select tracks in track view pane, and the selected console channel reflects the selected track. But When the Console view is in focus, you can of course use the select buttons on the VS700 to select the given track and use the +8/-8 buttons. But it would be cool if when the Console view is in focus, that the LEFT/RIGHT nav buttons selected the channel in the Console view, so you could scroll through the channels. Then, once you have scrolled to the track channel you want... hit the SET button to force the VS700 to the correct group and that track.

I also noticed an anomaly using the Access Panel > View buttons on the VS700... If you have the console view floating (lets say ~3/4 of the screen hight, and width expanded to the width of the screen but slid over to the right a bit so the Inspector is visible (really.. it happens all the time, you can just see it this way). Now press the track view... you get a redraw of something, and both the track view and the Console View remain, but focus does change between them.

It would be nice to see a display configuration in the display settings, that gives you an option to "Make Selected Console/Track Views Exclusive" this way you could make each selected view (between Console and Track view...) hide/minimize the console view, if the Track View button is pressed... and Only the Console View would be visible when the Console button is pressed. Right now, I'm not feeling anything from these buttons, unless the console view is closed completely. Even then, when you press the track View button with the Console floating in view... the console view remains, and you get the wierd redraw problem.

I Then got caught in some type of loop where, Console view is up (but not docked) I click on the Sonar application window header, and hit the UP nav button continuously. Instead of scrolling through tracks it was ping-ponging between only two tracks. That was wield, I tried to recreate it... couldn't.

ProChannel Control, Console View and Inspector Focus

In console view, command + EQ opens the prochannel (this is good), When the Inspector has focus, the same applies (this is good too). When in Console view... and you open the prochannel, the EQ channel strip button does not page through the prochannel components as it does in the Inspector. 

If the Console window is floating, and say the height ~ 1/2 of the screen height... then clicked to be in focus, the command + EQ command still opens the prochannel in the inspector.

Now start increasing the height of the console view... if the prochannel is open in the inspector and closed in the console view, then use command + EQ to open the prochannel, the prochannel will close in track view and open in console view. As you lessen the height of the console view, you will reach a point at which the prochannel won't be controlled by using command + EQ in console view.
This is not a biggie... just an interesting observation and got confusing, as to when and how window focus affects the expected functionality.

Currently, I am testing on a single monitor... this will effect those users. As I reconfigure my system (Add VS700R, 3 additional monitors, Adding various MIDI interfaces, I/O and controllers) I will continue to report any issues.

Oh... One last request: Can you guys provide a good tone generator plug-in with SONAR? Maybe for the a belated holiday gift. (Notice I didn't say Christmas... huh? did ya!)

Thats it for now... another book later! (heheeeee)

Frick

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
AMEK/TAC 24x16x2 console, 3M Model 79 – 2” 24 trk, MOTU 24I/O, QUAD Core XEON (16GB Ram, 1 TB), VS700 System, SONAR X2 , yamaha NS10s, Yamaha HS 8s, Axiom pro46, Ensonic ESQ10

post edited by Frick - 2012/12/21 00:56:35
kday
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 206
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/21 01:42:44 (permalink)
So are all the hardware functions working for the console now? Is X2a now working as great as 8.5 did ? What's the overall verdict?
Mully
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1545
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/21 09:14:57 (permalink)
Keen to get this bad boy downloaded..... thanks for all the information so far folks!

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
Ryan Munnis [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 1067
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/21 11:23:24 (permalink)
To John T,

I'm able to replicate the behavior you reported. I just wanted to acknowledge it since it appears to not be specific to your setup.

To Frick,

Thanks for updating everyone with your experience. I wanted to reply to some of your topics with some information that might be of use.

Fantom VS - "MIDI Devices Aren't Set Up Correctly" Error

Give this article a look: http://www.cakewalk.com/s...X_Troubleshooting.aspx

You'll most likely need to reconfigure the Fantom VS's settings to work properly. This isn't a new issue to X2a, it's really just setup related. It was most likely exposed, however, due to the changes with the Plug-in Manager and resetting/re-scanning. The article above should get you back up and running to avoid that error.

In regards to the actual crash, did the Fault Reporter come up? If so, definitely send the crash through so our dev team can have it on file.

Jog Wheel 

The jog wheel will move between seconds in SMPTE mode or by Bars/Beats. It follows the current setting on the hardware itself when pressing the TIME CODE button on the surface. Moving at a finer resolution would be done with the Shuttle Wheel in this case. Scroll mode services a slightly different goal/purpose but obviously it can be used to navigate around as well.

Nav Buttons & Focus

I can't comment on Windows stealing commands (outside of my area of expertise) but this has been around for some time. If you want to have some fun, hold down the COMMAND button on the surface and move the Surround Panner around ;)

In any case, I'm trying to replicate what you're saying in regards to cycling through the Synth Rack with the nav buttons but don't quite follow. Can you give us a bit more info in regards to what you're seeing? Also, is this specific to the VS-700 at all or is it also repeatable with the keyboard arrow keys?

Console View and Focus 

The behavior regarding the ProChannel opening in the Inspector if the Console View is floating and short is exactly as intended. There's a section that discusses the intended behavior in the .pdf here: http://www.cakewalk.com/support/doc.aspx?DLID=951 .Check out the section for "Opening/Showing/Hiding the ProChannel GUI from the 700 C".

Some additional notes though.

I don't know the exact pixel count, but basically if you're below a certain threshold in Console View height it will open the ProChannel in the more helpful area to what you're viewing, which would be the Inspector. The goal with this is that if the Console View is barely visible (such as in a Meter Bridge setup), you'd be seeing the ProChannel in the area actually helpful to yourself which would be the inspector.

Also to note, if you open the ProChannel in the Console View, it will close the ProChannel in the Inspector (and vice versa). This isn't really specific to the VS-700 though.

Ryan Munnis
Cakewalk
Frick
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/21 12:22:29 (permalink)
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the reply. I will try to get you more detail on the Synth Rack issue. I did discover one other issue (again regarding plugin focus...);

If you are in Console View, and you open a plugin from the FX bin, the 700 channel strip shows that that plugin is available to control, as it should be. Now bring up a second plugin from the same bin and it now is in focus on the 700, this is good.

Now, you have 2 plugins open (X-Ray works fine btw). So, if you now try to bring the first plug-in back in focus, to try and control on the 700 by clicking on the opened plugin... you can't. It try's, but the 700 returns to default. You need to double click the plugin that you want in focus again, from the bin if you want that plugin to have focus on the 700 (while the plugin is already opened) and it comes back to the 700 Channel strip control. Not sure if this is intended behavior but I feel (and I think that all would agree...) that it would be a smoother workflow, if you could just click on the opened plugin and have control on the 700.

Again, I will review your questions and repost further details.

Thanx
Frick
Frick
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/22 15:37:35 (permalink)
Hi All / Ryan,

Another weird problem to report...

I was messing with the synth rack, via the 700... Just got done recording a track. the used "Select" mode via the 700. Went to location on clip that I wanted to "Split". I split the track, and deleted the latter portion. Opened and closed the synth rack a few times, pressing "Syntth Rack" to open and "Shift + Synth Rack" to close.

While the Synth Rack was opened, I pressed the Synth Rack button a few times and noticed a wield redraw to the right side of the Synth Rack, like it wanted to close. So, thats one thing... but then I went back to reset the play head to a different location in the track by clicking in the time rule... and the play head was gone... no where to be found!

I closed the project and re-opened and tried to retrace my steps... couldn't get it to happen again while following the previous steps.

Ryan: Regarding the synth rack issue that you wanted further info on, My 700 is making a liar out of me (dammit! :-)
What was happening when I reported the issue was as follows:

2 synths in the rack, rack opened, working on something else (while rack is opened) click in the rack space (not on any particular synth, but the empty rack space below the last synth). At that point, I was expecting one of the 2 synths to be selected and using the ^, V buttons on the 700, select the synth I wanted. That wasn't happening when I reported the issue, now I cant get it to repeat. I will keep a close eye on when and if this occurs again and the process prior to it happening.

Like I said, these are weird things... like the play head disappearing.

Question: What is the minimum recommended amount VRAM for this GUI to perform at its best?
I'm thinking that this may be the issue. (This is NOT specified in the Minimum System Requirements
[link=http://www.cakewalk.com/products/SONAR/X2-Producer/]http://www.cakewalk.com/p.ducts/SONAR/X2-Producer/[/link] )

I'm currently building a new facility and extensively testing software and components as I go, so X2a has NOT been moved to my production environment yet. (Still waiting to test with Eventide H3000 VST... as SONAR is not listed as being supported. Should probably fix that relationship ;-);

So my staging Machine has an
ATI Radeon 3200 Graphics Chip (Shared memory), Quad Core AMD 3GHz Processor, 8 GB RAM, TB HD. My production machine; NVIDIA NVS295 Quad Monitor 2DP (256 MB DDR3) PCIe Video,  Intel XEON QUAD Core @ 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, TB HD.

So maybe the 3200 Chip could be causing a problem in the AMD Machine???
I Look forward to hearing from you on this one :-)

Thanx,
Frick

AMEK/TAC 24x16x2 console, 3M Model 79 – 2” 24 trk, MOTU 24I/O, QUAD Core XEON (16GB Ram, 1 TB), VS700 System, SONAR X1c , SONAR X2a , yamaha NS10s, Yamaha HS 8s, Axiom pro46, Ensonic ESQ10 , Ensonic TS10

post edited by Frick - 2012/12/25 18:42:29
Frick
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/23 10:01:14 (permalink)
Another...

Take Lane Issue in while working with MIDI: SONAR X2a

Condition: Open the Take Lanes in a MIDI track, create a few takes on that track, Solo the first take... Mute the rest. Now delete the Solo'd track. 

Resulting Issue: You can no longer have control over any Mute button in any of the take lanes. If you have all of the takes Muted in the take lanes, you can never un-mute any of them. The mute button on the main track toggles, but has no effect on the take lanes.

I have not tested this with audio tracks yet... but I'm sure the issue is there.

So, the moral of the story for now I guess is... Don't delete takes that are Solo'd in the Take Lanes!

Frick

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
AMEK/TAC 24x16x2 console, 3M Model 79 – 2” 24 trk, MOTU 24I/O, QUAD Core XEON (16GB Ram, 1 TB), VS700 System, SONAR X1c, SONAR X2(308 - Production) , SONAR X2a (351 - Testing/Staging) , yamaha NS10s, Yamaha HS 8s, Axiom pro46, Ensonic ESQ10 , Ensonic TS10

post edited by Frick - 2012/12/25 18:41:50
Dyonight
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 529
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/23 10:55:23 (permalink)
wow Frick you're doing a very good reporting job! Nice! and thanks!  but make sure you send them to cakewalk with the problem reporter form since it's the only way it will get to them. That being said, thanks for letting us know as well.

Sonar Platinum (Latest monthly update) / Roland A300-pro / AMD FX-8350 / Firepro V4900 / 16gb ram / RME HDSPe MadiFx
Frick
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/23 13:22:16 (permalink)
Thanx Dyo...

Just trying to help get this thing right. Definately reported to suppport.

The SONAR platform is (can be) awesome... Someone fell asleep at the wheel tho! I'll just be patient... doesn't help getting all worked up about it. As a developer myself, I understand when things get left behind, or the adverse affects of making changes (lets blame it on QA... hahaaa... Sorry QA guys, I guess you can only be as good as your test plan ). Although Cakewalk should recognize all in this forum and provide some good stuff for our efforts

I'm heavily invested, as I'm sure most are... So I try not to ****, just help get it fixed. Although, I am speanding a lot of hours on testing, instead of doing what I want to do. I'm not going to get heavily into a project and have things blow up .  That would suck! That's why I always stage my systems.

So a general question;  Is this forum going to continue?... or is there a new one for X2a?

Regards
Frick

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
AMEK/TAC 24x16x2 console, 3M Model 79 – 2” 24 trk, MOTU 24I/O, QUAD Core XEON (16GB Ram, 1 TB), VS700 System, SONAR X1c, SONAR X2(308 - Production) , SONAR X2a (351 - Testing/Staging) , yamaha NS10s, Yamaha HS 8s, Axiom pro46, Ensonic ESQ10
Ensonic TS10
post edited by Frick - 2012/12/25 18:43:58
Mully
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1545
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2012/12/25 20:10:00 (permalink)
John T

No, the problem isn't that the module is fundamentally unrecognised. It all works fine in a basic set up. The problems arise when tracks are hidden from the console.
Hi John, I've just tried this since the X2a release and can confirm it does exist as you've reported and as confirmed also by Cake in this thread. I don't do a lot of MIDI so it was interesting to see your workflow that found this bug.

Is it reported I wonder or does Cake's acknowledgement here negate that requirement?

Interesting also that when redisplay the MIDI tracks the EQ control returns and I didn't get a crash which was promising.
Also when you have the 700C ACT display up, it follows the reported behaviors so hopefully not too hard a fix for Cake.

Cheers.

post edited by Mully - 2012/12/25 20:13:49

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
west malvern
  • Total Posts : 22
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2013/02/19 11:16:01 (permalink)
So Is there any update on this Ryan?
Considering the shambles of X2A with the updates for VS700 (which had clearly not been tested for more than 3 seconds given the problems identified moments after release by John T)  I would have imagined that a face saving fix would have been a priority.
Its a bit like a big comedy chocalate cake on string which gets snatched away when you can already taste it!!
Poor show indeed :(
John T
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2013/02/20 10:54:21 (permalink)
As far as I can discern, the policy is "say nothing, do nothing". I've had no response to any of my various inquiries since Xmas. I've basically given up now.

kday
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2013/02/20 14:09:37 (permalink)
All known bugs especially the ones acknowledged by CW will most likely be fixed in the next update X2b.
dahjah
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 313
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2013/02/20 21:23:18 (permalink)
kday you must work for cakewalk or have an inside scoop. If you've spent your money on this VS system (which isn't a small amount) how is it you never seem to see or ever agree with the attitude or bad taste left in the mouth of those who have spent this kind of money to get into the kind of integration promised? I think many of us here have tried their best to be positive but cakewalk/rolands reaction has thrown that out the window. Now it has left ppl with distrust.
post edited by dahjah - 2013/02/20 21:27:07
kday
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2013/02/21 00:43:19 (permalink)
Dahjah, that was sorta a ridiculous statement. Cakewalk just released an X2 upgrade and maintenance fix a few months ago, that fix 250 bugs. Lot of issues were fixed, ok a few still remained. How could you not see that they're trying to fix everything they can identify? 250 bugs were a lot, maybe the next fix update will get the remaining bugs that have been identified? I don't see no reason to wallow is pessimism, things seem like they are going in right direction as I personally see progress. I was just as disappointed as everyone else was about issues unresolved, but to harbor old bitterness like a gunshot would will prevent me from making music, considering most of the important significant issues has been fixed for me personally. But I sympathize with anyone who still feels they are without an important feature, due to bugs, that would have allowed them to achieve great recordings. I'm like everyone else, I paid my money so I want ALL bugs fixed. But right now the system seems workable enough to achieve my musical production goals with it. But please post up all the bugs, so they know what's still broken and needs fixing.
post edited by kday - 2013/02/21 00:50:18
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2013/02/21 07:28:23 (permalink)
kday

I don't see no reason to wallow is pessimism, things seem like they are going in right direction as I personally see progress. I was just as disappointed as everyone else was about issues unresolved, but to harbor old bitterness like a gunshot would will prevent me from making music, considering most of the important significant issues has been fixed for me personally. But I sympathize with anyone who still feels they are without an important feature, due to bugs, that would have allowed them to achieve great recordings. I'm like everyone else, I paid my money so I want ALL bugs fixed. But right now the system seems workable enough to achieve my musical production goals with it. But please post up all the bugs, so they know what's still broken and needs fixing.
even though I risk getting my rear end kicked by grumpy John T I do have to say that I agree

I've learned which buttons not to push to avoid crashes in X2a (which are in fact X2a and not VS-700 issues as these crashes also occur when using the mouse), and I can live without locking channels or hiding some. Although I also definitely want to see that fixed, I have to admit that I don't see the VS-700 as the limiting factor in my production chain

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
John T
Re:VS-700, SONAR X2, Where we (Cakewalk and You) are at 2013/02/21 09:36:17 (permalink)
If it works for your purposes, then good luck to you. However, it doesn't work as advertised, and support for it has steadily declined since 8.5. It's buggy as hell at the moment in X2a. I was doing a bunch of fairly intense mixing sessions over the last few weeks, and it would do some kind of freak out every day. You've got to remember, this isn't some tricksy compatibility problem with a third party product. This is Cakewalk's own control surface, and the bugs are ones that it didn't have until Cakewalk introduced them. I also don't think there's an X2b coming.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1