Roland in trouble?

Author
vicsant
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1378
2012/12/23 06:09:14 (permalink)

Roland in trouble?

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/financials/financials.asp?ticker=7944:JP

Hope this won't affect the future development of Sonar....

:(

9 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Roland in trouble? 2012/12/23 09:00:45 (permalink)
    if you go to financial reports you see they have plenty of cash on hand.

Even tho it is a japenese co still a smart move.  Here in the States we don't know what any of the tax laws will be next week.  Roland and everyone else w/  a lick of sense can't /wont make any economic moves until they know how much of their wealth will be spread around.  And that is to only consider investing money, not acutally making any moves (as adapted from "The Ref", our Christmas movie).

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    elsongs
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 306
    Re:Roland in trouble? 2012/12/23 15:45:42 (permalink)
    vicsant

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/financials/financials.asp?ticker=7944:JP

Hope this won't affect the future development of Sonar....

:(

Remember that Roland does NOT own Cakewalk. They simply entered a marketing-based partnership a few years ago. If Roland went kaput, we might lose some of the Roland-developed hardware products and some of the new retail channels that Roland opened up, but the music software company that we know won't be going away.

Elson Trinidad Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Web: www.elsongs.com
    Twitter: twitter.com/elsongs

DAWs: Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cakewalk Sonar Platinum x64, Propellerhead Reason 9, Presonus Studio One v3
    CPU: Intel i7 3820 3.6MHz 
    MB: ASRock X79 Xtreme4
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3
    Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Generation
    MIDI: MOTU Microlite & Novation Impulse 61
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Roland in trouble? 2012/12/23 19:17:48 (permalink)
    elsongs

Remember that Roland does NOT own Cakewalk. They simply entered a marketing-based partnership a few years ago.

No, Roland effectively does own CW in that they own a majority interest in the company.  CW is not formally a division of Roland, but Roland by virtue of its majority ownership does get to call all the shots.

vicsant
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1378
    Re:Roland in trouble? 2012/12/23 20:24:36 (permalink)
    Remember what Avid did to Sibelius to cut costs?

Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Roland in trouble? 2012/12/23 21:29:33 (permalink)
    And that's why capitalism has and always will, fail.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re:Roland in trouble? 2012/12/23 22:06:09 (permalink)
    Actually it would be great cause then there would be no more updates and you guys would have to spend time recording music instead of figuring out how the upgrades work each time. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

timboe
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 760
    Re:Roland in trouble? 2012/12/24 00:27:16 (permalink)
    However it is  " technically "  described,  Roland own C/W.

Roland has the absolute power to sell / trade / shutdown / rebuild / restructure  etc......  CW any time it see's fit in any way it wishes to  - not however  that I think it is even thinking of this let alone going to do it.

The only downside I can see  [ with Roland owning CW ]  is Rolands "hardware-orpaning"   ie: VS700 System anyone ?

CW are trying thier best to keep it  " relevant "  but given it was designed  ground-up for Sonar 8 and then within no-time the entire UI was dumped and re-written it really was/is one of the most bizzare and pointless hardware releases in a long time.

Just imagine if the VS700 had been  held-over  for only some  12 months or so and been designed for the X-series UI.

Roland / CW would then have a fully-integrated hardware  / software combo which would have lasted them as long as the X-series interface is kept.

Being the  one and only  " flagship "  hardware product how such a botch-up / stuff-up  was allowed to happen is simply gob-smacking !!!!

Tim

Their
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Roland in trouble? 2012/12/24 00:35:57 (permalink)
    timboe

However it is  " technically "  described,  Roland own C/W.

Roland has the absolute power to sell / trade / shutdown / rebuild / restructure  etc......  CW any time it see's fit in any way it wishes to  - not however  that I think it is even thinking of this let alone going to do it.

The only downside I can see  [ with Roland owning CW ]  is Rolands "hardware-orpaning"   ie: VS700 System anyone ?

CW are trying thier best to keep it  " relevant "  but given it was designed  ground-up for Sonar 8 and then within no-time the entire UI was dumped and re-written it really was/is one of the most bizzare and pointless hardware releases in a long time.

Just imagine if the VS700 had been  held-over  for only some  12 months or so and been designed for the X-series UI.

Roland / CW would then have a fully-integrated hardware  / software combo which would have lasted them as long as the X-series interface is kept.

Being the  one and only  " flagship "  hardware product how such a botch-up / stuff-up  was allowed to happen is simply gob-smacking !!!!

Tim

Their

There is no point in imagining it. Hardware and software are designed to be obsolete so you have to keep buying. How do you expect them to stay in business if they stop making money? Therein lies the root of why capitalism has and always will fail.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    elsongs
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 306
    Re:Roland in trouble? 2012/12/24 02:49:29 (permalink)
    dmbaer

elsongs

Remember that Roland does NOT own Cakewalk. They simply entered a marketing-based partnership a few years ago.

No, Roland effectively does own CW in that they own a majority interest in the company.  CW is not formally a division of Roland, but Roland by virtue of its majority ownership does get to call all the shots.

Okay, time out. When did THIS happen? I CLEARLY recall during the whole initial "Cakewalk By Roland" hubbub back in '08 that Greg Hendershott mentioned the Roland thing was strictly a "marketing partnership" (his words). So that's the information I was going by. If indeed Roland did buy a majority interest in Cakewalk, then how did I miss the memo?

Elson Trinidad Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Web: www.elsongs.com
    Twitter: twitter.com/elsongs

DAWs: Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cakewalk Sonar Platinum x64, Propellerhead Reason 9, Presonus Studio One v3
    CPU: Intel i7 3820 3.6MHz 
    MB: ASRock X79 Xtreme4
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3
    Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Generation
    MIDI: MOTU Microlite & Novation Impulse 61
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1