Sonar X2 and Mackie MCU Pro

Author
BillWatkins
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 101
2013/01/07 16:21:36 (permalink)

Sonar X2 and Mackie MCU Pro

Hello everyone. I have an interesting situation and while not debilitating, it is something that I would like to resolve. This also occurred in X1. The MCU is connected via USB directly into the DAW. Properly set up in Sonar Preferences and it connects with no difficulty and is quite useable. *However* :) when in track mode and I arm record on the MCU, the track correctly arms in Sonar, but the little REC light does not illuminate on the MCU. Same difficulty with Mute and the other strip functions. Any ideas or clues ? Thanks and Best Regards, Bill Charlottesville

Sonar Platinum-2016.05
Custom Allegro Technology QuietDAW - Intel Core i7 2600 Quad Core CPU 3.4 GHz on an Asus P8P67 Rev 3.0 motherboard, MS Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 16 GB Patriot RAM, eVGA 1 GB Silent Video Card, SIIG 2 port Firewire 1394a PCIe Card, Seagate 500 GB SATA 6 Gb/s (O/S & Programs), Seagate 1 TB SATA 6 Gb/s (Audio), Seagate 1 TB SATA 6 Gb/s (Stream/Samples),Seagate 1 TB SATA 6 Gb/s (internal backup),Sony DVD-RW Lightscribe, LogisysCS4801BK 4U Rackmount case, OCZ StealthXStream 700 W PSU

7 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Sonar X2 and Mackie MCU Pro 2013/01/07 16:29:45 (permalink)
    Are you absolutely sure that the out to the MCU is the right one? Clearly you have the input to Sonar correct. 

Best
    John
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Sonar X2 and Mackie MCU Pro 2013/01/07 16:43:35 (permalink)
    If that is only on Simple Instrument Tracks and only the record button it was a bug that is now fixed in X2, or is here anyway. If you are still seeing it in X2 it may be something else. I can't say I ever saw an issue with any thing other than SITs and record though so it might be a different issue.
    BillWatkins
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re:Sonar X2 and Mackie MCU Pro 2013/01/07 17:21:49 (permalink)
    John, FBB, Thanks for the input and responses. Perhaps I've missed something then. In PREFs Control Surface for the MCU- Midi In/Out point to the MCU USB. The proper Midi devices are enabled. *But* the tracks are not SITs, though I will test that tonight. I primarily run VSTs, either dropped in from the browser or Inserts (softsynth). I suspect, but may be wrong, that the REC light would illuminate on these back to the MCU also ? Arming REC on the MCU does properly arm the track in Sonar. Thanks Again, Bill -

Sonar Platinum-2016.05
    Custom Allegro Technology QuietDAW - Intel Core i7 2600 Quad Core CPU 3.4 GHz on an Asus P8P67 Rev 3.0 motherboard, MS Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 16 GB Patriot RAM, eVGA 1 GB Silent Video Card, SIIG 2 port Firewire 1394a PCIe Card, Seagate 500 GB SATA 6 Gb/s (O/S & Programs), Seagate 1 TB SATA 6 Gb/s (Audio), Seagate 1 TB SATA 6 Gb/s (Stream/Samples),Seagate 1 TB SATA 6 Gb/s (internal backup),Sony DVD-RW Lightscribe, LogisysCS4801BK 4U Rackmount case, OCZ StealthXStream 700 W PSU
    Saxon1066
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 619
    Re:Sonar X2 and Mackie MCU Pro 2013/01/07 17:28:42 (permalink)
    I have a different problem my MCU Pro and Xtenders:  For a couple of years, when I powered up, the faders went through their usual calibrations, pull down to the bottom, and are ready to go.  Recently, for no reason I know, the main unit and one of the Xtenders go through calibration, but then one fader on each unit moves up to the highest point and buzzes as if straining to go higher still.  So I have to power them off and on again, and sometimes twice before they are ready.  What's up with that?
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:Sonar X2 and Mackie MCU Pro 2013/01/07 17:52:40 (permalink)
    Saxon1066

I have a different problem my MCU Pro and Xtenders:  For a couple of years, when I powered up, the faders went through their usual calibrations, pull down to the bottom, and are ready to go.  Recently, for no reason I know, the main unit and one of the Xtenders go through calibration, but then one fader on each unit moves up to the highest point and buzzes as if straining to go higher still.  So I have to power them off and on again, and sometimes twice before they are ready.  What's up with that?

Fader might need a clean or a little TLC. I've fixed one of mine like that and another has started playing up. Here's a great resource for how to service/fix MCU faders.

Just be careful with the twine or you'll send yourself mad trying to rewind and route it...... yeah don't ask how I know.
    Saxon1066
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 619
    Re:Sonar X2 and Mackie MCU Pro 2013/01/07 21:46:15 (permalink)
    That's a useful resource, Biker. Thanks, I'm bookmarking that one.  I don't think it's a bad fader in my case, however.  Once I go through the calibration twice, the faders all work fine.  I'm thinking/guessing it has more to do with a USB issue or the way the MC protocol is being dealt with on my computer.  Is that possible?
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:Sonar X2 and Mackie MCU Pro 2013/01/08 03:43:12 (permalink)
    TBH I have no idea I have the old MIDI cable version.

Do they seem to reach the full extent of their range? Have you tried giving them a little help when they appear to be straining? I just wondered if there was a little gunk stopping them from travelling the full range properly or perhaps even snagging on the touch sensitivity strip. (You'll see what I mean from the photos on that site)

I guess a bad cable or something is always a possibility but I'd have thought something like that would be consistent rather than on first starting.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1