Helpful ReplyRecord without metronome, quantize later

Author
jtbarr
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2013/10/30 18:30:22 (permalink)

Record without metronome, quantize later

Hi All,

I want to record a guide track with my piano in MIDI and audio, without the metronome.... then set markers or something so that I can line it up on note boundaries for quantizing and notation.

this may take some function that alters the tempo to fit?  I don't know.

I normally work with a metronome when laying down tracks, then notate and quantize as needed.... and alter the tempo manually to get the rubato I may want.  This leaves out some emotion though especially in the guide track.

I'm an experienced musician, but I still feel stiffled a bit by the metronome...  I want to work to my inner clock, then slave the system to that...

what is the easiest and/or best way to do this in Sonar X3....

ANYBODY HAVE ANY THOUGHTS?

Thanks,
brundlefly
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: Record without metronome, quantize later 2013/10/30 19:00:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby stickman393 2013/11/03 18:02:34
Basically, you have three options:

1 Record a sacrificial guide track with MIDI events on every quarter notes, and use Fit Improvisation to have SONAR create a Tempo map from it. See Fit Improvisation in the Ref. Guide for details.

2. Record an audio track, and use Audiosnap's Set Project from Clip function. Takes a little work to get this done right, and tempo changes will not end up right on measure/beats.

3. Record a normal performance as MIDI and use Set Measure/Beat At Now to align the timeline to it at as many points as necessary. This is the method I use; It's kind of a brute force approach, but generally ends up being the most accurate, and is ultimately no more time-consuming than the "automated" methods.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re: Record without metronome, quantize later 2013/10/30 19:16:38 (permalink)

M_Glenn_M
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: Record without metronome, quantize later 2013/10/30 19:19:19 (permalink)
Those are interesting ideas.
I also feel the metronome stifles.
Would a basic bass & drum track instead work for you?
I prefer it as it adds to the feel so I often get the groove going on my drum machine.
The drum machine has the option of changing tempo real time if I want it to speed and slow 1 or 2 bpms intentionally as I record it.
Of course a quick and dirty way is you can also change the metronome clicks to snare and kick in sonar.
post edited by M_Glenn_M - 2013/10/30 19:31:36

Producer Exp x1d 
Win XP, intel Core2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.4 GHz, 2 GHz RAM  
Nvidia gforce 8500 GT    
BR800 controller , DR880 drum machine. GR20 guitar synth, Alesis QX25 
KRK 6 + 10" sub.   Sennheiser HD280pro cans  
2 Yamaki acoustics, Korean Strat, 60's Jazzmaster, 60's BF Deluxe Reverb,   

dantarbill
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1820
Re: Record without metronome, quantize later 2013/10/30 19:22:43 (permalink)
jtbarr

what is the easiest and/or best way to do this in Sonar X3....

ANYBODY HAVE ANY THOUGHTS?

The easiest way to is bite the bullet and record to the metronome...unless you have a real good reason not to...

Granted...there are many, many good reasons to not use the metronome (any use of rubato or other tempo inflections described in Italian are some of them)...but...if the best reason you can come up with is "I'm lazy" or "I don't like it"...go back over brundlefly's suggestions.  None of them is (the requisite) "easy".

Please note that I didn't say that I said "You always have to use the metronome".  I'm saying "You should use the metronome if you can possibly get away with it".  It'll make life easier.

(As noted in other posts...a drum track is the moral equivalent of a metronome...it's just easier to follow.)
post edited by dantarbill - 2013/10/30 19:28:53

Dan Tarbill
overdub
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 135
Re: Record without metronome, quantize later 2013/10/31 01:47:43 (permalink)
I have an older Cakewalk project on which I used an analog drum machine, which was ok for what it did...but now I want to revive the track with better drum sounds and various midi parts. Of course, there's no way I'd be able to set the tempo in SONAR X3 to match the drum machine tempo exactly, so I'm very interested in this thread and hope to come up with a practical approach for aligning the old tracks to a midi grid...or vice-versa.  I've never used 'fit to improv' or tried to snap a grid to a set of beats but I guess there's no better time to learn how than right now.
The good news is that the tempo on my old tracks doesn't vary to any perceptible degree, so this should be a simple task, right?  Oh, where to begin.... 

Dub Campbell
Nashville, Tennessee Music City USA
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Record without metronome, quantize later 2013/10/31 02:14:50 (permalink)
I cannot even get David's program to run. Have Java installed and all. No clear instructions. Can you convert it to a normal PC program please? As far as I am concerned it does not work.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
brundlefly
Re: Record without metronome, quantize later 2013/10/31 03:24:53 (permalink)
mike_mccue
Another option:

http://www.soundbytesmag....po-thelastdawfrontier/

I can't really see how that's any different from creating a separate project in which you use play in a reference track and use Fit Improvisation to generate a tempo map that you then paste into another project. You might as well just use Fit Improvisation in place. The only real improvement might be the option of having more than four tempo changes measure.

Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
brundlefly
Re: Record without metronome, quantize later 2013/10/31 03:42:16 (permalink)
overdub
I have an older Cakewalk project on which I used an analog drum machine, which was ok for what it did...but now I want to revive the track with better drum sounds and various midi parts.

Hey Dub, it looks like you don't have PM enabled. If you enable it, I'll send you my e-mail address, and you can send me the drum track(s) or even the whole project and I'll take a look. Should be easy, but probably easier for me to just do it and then tell you how I did it, rather than try to walk you through the steps without knowing exactly what you're working with. Could be an opportunity to try out Gobbler while we're at it.  

overdub
Re: Record without metronome, quantize later 2013/10/31 16:48:41 (permalink)
brundlefly
overdub
I have an older Cakewalk project on which I used an analog drum machine, which was ok for what it did...but now I want to revive the track with better drum sounds and various midi parts.

Hey Dub, it looks like you don't have PM enabled. If you enable it, I'll send you my e-mail address, and you can send me the drum track(s) or even the whole project and I'll take a look. Should be easy, but probably easier for me to just do it and then tell you how I did it, rather than try to walk you through the steps without knowing exactly what you're working with. Could be an opportunity to try out Gobbler while we're at it.  

Hey brundlefly...thanks for your kind offer to help out.  I haven't set up Gobbler on my DAW yet . Besides, I'm not too keen on exposing the DAW to the internet any more than is really necessary.  But if you wouldn't mind outlining the steps for me, I'd sure appreciate it.  I may just take a little time and do some experimenting with it myself.  I usually learn things better when I have to dig for the answers or solutions.  If I can't get it done on my own, however, I'll probably bug you to do it anyway.  The project has taken a back seat for several years because of so many other priorities.
Thanks again for offering a hand...I do appreciate it.  What's your name?
Yea, I don't do PM as a rule.  That kind of stuff can clog up my laptop in no time.  I'll give you my public email address tho, no problem:  dubover1 at yahoo dot com
Happy Halloween!  Be careful tonight......Mmmwwwwaaahhhhhhh   ha ha ha ha !!!! 

Dub Campbell
dantarbill
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1820
Re: Record without metronome, quantize later 2013/10/31 18:03:19 (permalink)
overdub
I have an older Cakewalk project on which I used an analog drum machine, which was ok for what it did...

That will probably be an excellent learning experience for the "Set Measure/Beat At Now" gambit (#3) that brundlefly mentioned.  The drum machine might drift...but not by much...so it should be pretty easy.  It is a skill that you'll want later!

I was in a situation with a client, where it was pretty obvious that putting him under headphones with a click wasn't going to give us what we were after.  (I even resisted the temptation to make him use a guitar that didn't have 10 year old strings on it.)  His timing was all over the place...but I was able to put together a tempo map (a measure at a time) that made everything else lock to him (including MIDI stuff).

It was a lot of work.

The end result was worth it...but...it was still a lot of work.

Dan Tarbill
brundlefly
Re: Record without metronome, quantize later 2013/10/31 20:08:55 (permalink)
overdub
But if you wouldn't mind outlining the steps for me, I'd sure appreciate it.  I may just take a little time and do some experimenting with it myself.  I usually learn things better when I have to dig for the answers or solutions.

Okay; you asked for it. 

The following is from an earlier post with some updates and parenthetical notes that might apply to your case. The way I do this is always evolving in small ways to accommodate different situations, but this is still generally applicable. Note that this was originally aimed at aligning a project to a single imported MIDI clip but the tabbing to transients in an audio track works pretty much like tabbing to MIDI events, and it's not necessary to show transient markers in order for the tab function to work.

The main thing to understand is that Set Measure/Beat At Now is basically telling SONAR to set the previous tempo to make the specified Measure and Beat of the timeline fall on the absolute time at the current Now cursor location: the playback of audio is not affected, and MIDI event start times and durations are adjusted automatically so that they also play back with the same timing rather than following the tempo changes. You're effectively stretching/compressing the timeline to fit the existing playback timing.

1. Drag the clip to align the first event wherever it should be in the timeline.

2. If that time is not 1:01:000, use Set Measure/Beat At Now (Shift+M) to "pin" that first beat so that becomes the reference point for determining tempo.

3. Count out several measures listening to the clip (or go to the last event if the clip is short) set the Now time at the beginning of that event by tabbing to it, and use Shift+M again to set the correct measure and beat in the timeline to the absolute time of that event (i.e. "Now".

4.SONAR will alter the tempo at the first point you pinned to make the timeline match the clip without altering the playback timing of the clip (or any other clip in the project), and add a like tempo value at the beat you set as a refererence for setting subsequent beats.

5. If the clip was recorded to a click, and/or was quantized, that may be all you need to do; if not, you can set additional beats every few measures or every measure, or even within measures or beats (note that fractional beats are entered as decimal values not ticks, so 02:480 is 02.500).

6. If the clip didn't start at 1:01:000, go to the tempo view, and change the tempo at 1:01:000 to match the first tempo SONAR inserted  (this gets trickier in a project with mixed MIDI and audio and where audio doesn't start at 1:01:000.

That's about it. For a very long clip, I recommend setting the first point at 8 measures or so to see what beat the last event should fall on. Then undo the 8-measure set point, and set that last event to establish an overall average tempo, and roughly align the whole clip so that it's easy to see what beats other events should fall on in the middle of the clip, and decided how many you need to snap to tighten up the timeline match. Setting the first 8 measures is just an interim step to figure out how long the clip is without listening and counting 100+ measures or whatever it is.

See.. easier done than said.   You might actually find that a single tempo precisely matching the original drum machine tempo and starting at 1:01:000 does the trick, rendering all this extra detail superfluous. 

Cheers,
Dave
post edited by brundlefly - 2013/11/01 16:28:51

overdub
Re: Record without metronome, quantize later 2013/11/03 17:37:14 (permalink)
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the detailed procedure!  What you've described is pretty much how I imagined it would go so I'm guessing it'll be easy once I get the hang of going through it without disrupting work flow.  I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but once I do I'll report back on this thread.
I can't help but wonder if Melodyne Editor might be useful in the same way as fit to... Not that fit to... needs any help to map beats.  But Melodyne might be preferable for mapping audio to beats, right?  As in a more sophisticated 'snap to' or v-vocal?
After all the years, practically since the birth of Twelve Tone Systems/Cakewakl, I still don't have a lot of experience using the most incredible of all the tools I've had available.  In other words, I've mostly stuck to recording/mixing straight audio and some MIDI and virtual instruments.  It's all the stretching and compressing and filtering and other 'magical' tools I'm needing/wanting to understand better and how to use efficiently and effectively.  So, I want to dedicate blocks of time to doing just that...rather than try half-halfheartedly and being distracted by the technology while, at the same time, needing to be creative, fast and fruitful.  Having just upgraded to Editor, I know now that I have a lot of practicing to do in the coming weeks...years.

Looks like I'm babbling now...so, thanks again, Dave.

Dub

Dub Campbell
brundlefly
Re: Record without metronome, quantize later 2013/11/03 19:31:24 (permalink)
Sounds good, Dub. I enjoy messing around with the tools so I've actually spent more time getting to know Audiosnap than I really needed to given that most of my music originates as MIDI recordings. But it's always good to put in some time experimenting with the tools so you're not flailing around when you *do* need to use them "in anger".

As far as Melodyne goes, my initial impression is that Audiosnap is at least as good, and possibly better at locating transients, and it offers many tools for working with transient marker locations, including the tab-to-transient function so I would tend to prefer it over Melodyne for this task. But I'm sure some of that preference has to do with my familiarity with it. 

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1