Session drummer basics tutorial

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Robomusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8943
2004/12/17 13:41:05 (permalink)

Session drummer basics tutorial

Millerbill, got me to thinking, lots of session drummer post come thru here, so i went back and wrote a more detailed tutorial for session drummer basics, here it is.

How to use Session Drummer
Session drummer is a plug in that allows you to create a complete drum track it can then be opened in a midi track, and then converted to audio thru a soft synth.

First open cakewalk and add a new Midi track and an Audio track.

Go to the midi track and maximize it, this is done be clicking the little box icon on the track itself. Now set your midi track fx to session drummer, in the track view you will see a long thin box that says fx in the left side and has two faint arrows in the right hand side, right click in the fx box in the track, and a pop up will say midi effects, slide the cursor to that, and another box will open called cakewalk effects, slide to that and a bigger box will open from that click on session drummer. Session drummer will open.

You will see three boxes, Style, Pattern, and song. Style is just that, the style of music the patterns work well with. Choose a style and left click it, you will see a list of patterns in the pattern window. You can audition those to see what you want by left clicking it once and then clicking the play arrow on the top tool bar. One is just a click count in and one is silence, others have a basic pattern, and still others variations of that then, there are also fills, and usually an ending.

Find the one that is named “Soft rock 152 – Rock and Roll” in the pattern list double click the one named “click” it should have been added to the song list below, now double click the one named “SN fill1”, It should be after the click in the song list, now double click the one named “Crash/Kick/SN/Hat” , next double Click “SN/Tom fill1”, double click “Crash/Kick/SN/Hat” once again and then double click “SN fill2” Now count the measures that you have added, session drummer will list these on the right side of the pattern list, It should total 18 measures.

Close session drummer, then go to the ruler bar (the scale looking thing above the tracks) left click near the 0 point, and drag until you highlight the exact amount of measures of your drum tracks on the ruler bar, stopping at the end of 18. This should place a darkened area in the midi track for the same amount of measures. Go to the beginning of the midi track, right click in the dark area of the track, A box will open, go to midi effects/session drummer and click it to reopen it and slide it to the bottom of the page, move your cursor to the very beginning of that track, hover over the start of the track, near the zero position, in the darkened area of the midi track, you should see a small square symbol pop up, click and drag open the drum track all the way to the end of the highlighted area, there should be a colored stripe with data in it now. If you are using a sound card with a built in chip it will play if you hit the play arrow in the top tool bar, you now have a midi drum track.

Now you can enhance that by using a better sounding synth to play the track thru. Go to the audio track that you opened, and maximize it, go to it’s fx box and right, go to DXi instruments, and find Edirol VSC, click that. Edirol will pop up minimize it and go back to the midi track, find the output box, left click ant it should have the option of Edirol VSC, click on that, Hit play, it will sound pretty good. This same setup can be used for any softsynth that you have and there are many of them out there.

Now if you want the midi file to become a wave file, so you can add some real nice effects to it like compression or reverb, you can use the bounce to track feature. Go to edit/bounce to track, click that and a box will pop up, hit okay and a blue bar will proceed across the bottom of the screen. You will have a new track below the others, maximize it and right click the fx box and go to audio effects, find cakewalk reverb, click on that, go to presets and find concert, chose that and close the effect, then hit play and you have a drummer in a stadium. Have fun.
post edited by Robomusic - 2005/10/08 17:07:12

70 Replies Related Threads

master110x
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Session basics tutorial 2004/12/18 00:47:18 (permalink)
    wow you should write a book that was the best tutorial ive seen in here i really had fun playin with the drums
    meredith
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2004/12/23 10:03:51 (permalink)
    I love you, man!! The help file was so unhelpful. I couldn't even find the Session drummer. Finally got it.

Blessings to all
    bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2004/12/23 12:44:32 (permalink)
    Nice job!

Thanks

Jeff
    master110x
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2004/12/24 12:02:42 (permalink)
    found a really cool site would like robo to check it out and post it where nessesary i called them and they seem very informative expecially for new guys like me. www.audiomidi.com/classroom/hardware/laptop_audio.cfm
    just browsing around the site gave me ideas of what i needed to do to get better recordings.
    joedan
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2004/12/24 17:32:17 (permalink)
    Hi, I have a problem. I can get to the session drummer, but then once I am there...THERE ARE NO STYLES, PATTERNS, or ANYTHING! and then i try to search for .sdx files on my computer but I cannot find any. PLease help! thanks
    Robomusic
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2004/12/24 17:42:52 (permalink)
    on the computer go to start/my computer/local disk (C)/programs/cakewalk/music creator/drum styles/ and they should be in that folder, if not then you need to search the install disk for them, they did not load.
    meredith
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2004/12/27 09:50:50 (permalink)
    Hey Robo, I also have a problem.

I highlighted the measures in the ruler in the track view, opened SD, moved it to the bottom of the page, but when I move the cursor back to the Track there is no small square symbol. If I click on anything, the SD box makes a sound and blinks like hello, I'm still open and you can't do anything outside.

I managed to get the square to open into a red box with the SD closed, but I can't get the drum events into it. It will play if I have SD open, but there is no data appearing in the track field. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks...
    < Message edited by meredith -- 12/27/2004 12:24:01 PM >

Blessings to all
    millerbill
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1085
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2004/12/27 14:35:13 (permalink)
    Here is a variation from ROBOMUSIC's excellent tutorial, that may help you.

Create your drummer as Robomusic has detailed. Then close Session Drummer. Your most recent song/drum creation is always saved.

Highlight in the measure area the number of measures you need for your beats, as Robomusic has explained.

SELECT a MIDI track (Highlight the number)

In the pane on the right you will see that your measures are highlighted (Even a MIDI track without events/notes will be highlighted.

Right click on the highlight.

Choose MIDI Effects - then "Cakewalk Effects" - then "Session Drummer"

When Session Drummer appears, click O.K. and your most recent song/drums you created in Session Drummer will be transfered to the highlighted MIDI track.

Robomusic's system is MUCH easier, but this will also work.
    bargainboy1
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2004/12/28 09:29:48 (permalink)
    bump

Jeff
    Struggler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2005/01/09 19:53:51 (permalink)
    I have same problem. I cannot get any patterns,styles, songs, whatever, into Session Drummer to get to first base with your tut. Robo. My Drum Styles folder is there as subfile of Music Creator,under Cakewalk,under Program Files, in C drive. What am I doing wrong & what is the definition of 'Song' ? Thanks
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2005/01/10 18:41:28 (permalink)
    This is how tech support told me to open session drummer: Go to the console view. In the track you want SD, right click in the black area. A menu will appear. Click Cakewalk FX, then session drummer. Works for me every time. Greg
    Struggler
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2005/01/11 04:42:22 (permalink)
    Thankx Gregy....I get Session Drummer 'work face' up on screen fine, but I have no styles, patterns or songs therein....When I click to open file I also get the Open dialog 'face' OK, and my Drum Style files just looks at me and will not open....I presume Drum Styles is where the styles come from, and I guess Patterns follow that....I note that my Drum styles are .mid files, whereas SD is asking for .sdx files? Is this my problem...can I copy them and label as .sdx? 'Cakewalk' it isnt!
    millerbill
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2005/01/11 12:35:27 (permalink)
    Struggler:

Try this:

Get into session drummer. Click on the gear-like icon on the far left about half way down. [Plugin Settings]

At the bottom of the screen that appears is "Content Folder" with dots to the left.

Click on the dots and browse until you find the "drum Style" folder.
    On my setup it's C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Music Creator 2\Drum Styles. [Your mileage may vary]

Now syles and patterns should be available.

OPEN is only good for loading previously saved 'Songs' or beats
    TGRANT
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2005/01/11 22:22:55 (permalink)
    I'm having a similar problem to Meridith. When I right click on the grey box in track view, the session drummer window becomes dominant/exclusive and won’t let me do anything else until the box is closed. If I try to click on the grey box or anywhere out of the session drummer window, I get that annoying Window's tone indicating I'm trying to something I can't do. I can’t get the little box Robomusic is talking about either.

MillerBill’s system works, but I still cant add new drum tracks later in the song.
    When I add any new tracks, they are put at the beginning of the song. I can move them, but it's kind of a pain.

Is this feature available in the introductory version or pro only? If it’s available in the intro version, any ideas?
    Struggler
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2005/01/11 23:21:25 (permalink)
    Back again..frustrated! My Drum style files are all suffixed .mid. SessnDrummer open file box is asking for .sdx files. I resubmitted the entire MC programs, but drumstyles are still .mid. To get anything at all into SD Styles and Patterns etc I renamed a DS.mid file as .sdx and it will appear in SDrummer styles but the response is 'Bad SDX format. not SD file. I think I'm getting closer.... Help, please
    millerbill
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2005/01/12 11:01:19 (permalink)
    Struggler: Please read my previous post on this thread. It doesn't sound like you followed my suggestion!

And I repeat:
    OPEN is only good for loading previously saved 'Songs' or beats

-

Yeah, TGRANT - I have to move them also - No mater how I highlight the tracks. A real pain in the xxx! I don't know about other versions. A post on the Sonar Forum might get an answer.

I don't plan to upgrade as I'm afraid that now I going to get bad documentation with every Cakewalk program I buy.

And to think I still wear my Cakewalk tee shirt. At least the washing instructions that came with it were to the point, and worked.
    TGRANT
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2005/01/12 15:34:09 (permalink)
    MillerBill
    Thanks. I agree the documentation is pretty awful (Hint Hint to cakewalk technical writers), but I agree the program is really quite nice. Thanks for the insight.
    marcel71
    • Total Posts : 147
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2005/01/13 11:49:27 (permalink)
    One more question. I'm not having any luck turning my session drummer midi track to audio. I'm playing it thru the VSC soft synth. I tried arming the audio track playing the VSC and recording the track for the duration of the song - that didn't work. I also tried to figure out Robo's advice re bouncing the two tracks, but unlike Robo, I'm spatially challenged, so I couldn't get it to work. I think I'm missing a step. Robo, can you tell me in detail how to do it. I'll send you a case of beer.
    Robomusic
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2005/01/13 17:11:14 (permalink)
    No beer neccessary, but thanks for the thought.

once you have your session drummer track built and openned in a midi track, and it is playing thru an armed audio track containing VSC, you now want to turn it into an audio trackall you do is to go to edit/bounce to track(s) and click that option, the program will process the data thru VSC and a new track will appear below the others. It will be audio
    marcel71
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2005/01/13 17:52:47 (permalink)
    man, I tried it again and its not working. The first time I got nothing on my new track, the second time, I got a track with all my tracks mixed down. Can I just create a new audio track with the drums? I armed both the audio (vsc) track and the midi (session drummer track and selected bboth tracks then did edit, bounce... What am I doing wrong?
    Robomusic
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2005/01/13 18:46:40 (permalink)
    do not arm any tracks and solo the drum track or mute the other tracks

once the drum track is soloed then hit bounce
    Robomusic
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2005/01/13 18:50:07 (permalink)
    The idea is to bounce to a new track what is in the midi track, but to do that the midi must have audio output, so the audio track with VSC allows it to bounce or actually record itself as audio
    Struggler
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2005/01/15 04:56:11 (permalink)
    Millerbill: Megathanks...in a couple of sessions I have moved forward past something blocking me for months. Read a kiss smiley here.....Struggler
    bargainboy1
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2005/01/20 10:15:27 (permalink)
    bump

Jeff
    Yeti
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2005/02/09 06:33:05 (permalink)
    HI I am i think quite proficient with Music creator as far as basic recording and programming goes but I programmed a rhythm track into midi and used Ch 10 to play it as a drum track, I then used and audio track so i could use Edirol and play through that, it sounds much better, however when I came to convert it to an audio track it would not record! The Edirol synth is far better than the basic synth, please tell me there is a way to get it audioed!
    marcel71
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2005/02/09 07:54:02 (permalink)
    refer to Robo's earlier advice to me. Solo the MIDI track that you want to convert to audio (or alternatively mute all the other tracks). From the drop down menu select Edit - Bounce to Tracks. You will get a dialog box select stero audio track or whatever and make sure all the boxes are ticked. Voila.
    millerbill
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2005/02/17 00:06:37 (permalink)
    Re-post
    millerbill
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2005/02/24 16:15:10 (permalink)
    Bump
    marcel71
    RE: Session drummer basics tutorial 2005/03/15 19:58:54 (permalink)
    bump
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1