10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Brandon Ryan [Roland]
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3458
2005/04/21 23:14:30 (permalink)

10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2

Hi all, just wanted to drop by and post a little suggestion for instant fun with the new P5. I've been at NAB all week and had a little time to play with it more and oh man am I having fun. We did about an hour long jam with it and here's some stuff I've found that is really really fun.

1) Create some vertical lanes of loops in the Groove Matrix.

2) Give each one a different feel (i.e "Intro, groovy, heavy, heavier, breakdown, etc). IMPORTANT: Use some of the lanes to create some fills (drum fills, crazy sounds, noises...whatever).

3) Map the lanes in the Groove Matrix to buttons or keys that you can access quickly on your midi controller.

4) Bring up a synth or two using a preset or custom device chain.

5) Pick a killer arp sound.

6) MIDI Map knobs to the filters.

7) Turn on the arpeggiator and map the "Gate" control to a knob.

8) Set the arp to "Random".

9) Set the Groove Matrix to 1/4 note (or even 1/8 note). Also, set the Groove Matrix to "re-trigger mode".

10) Now trigger your grooves, play some notes and start twistin' the knobs. You can retrigger your grooves, beat juggle and generally create sick-ass fills and breaks, while playing crazy arpeggiations, etc.

I was doing this with Zeta ("WildTB303" patch) with knobs controlling both filters. It was insanely fun and sounded really cool IMO. I also had Dimension up with a custom device chain that included the P5 Phaser (synced), UAD1 Nigel, and a tempo syncing delay for leads. You can switch between both very fluidly without any gaps or stutters.
post edited by Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk] - 2005/04/21 23:19:29

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff

30 Replies Related Threads

mike85021
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1532
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/21 23:22:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips.

So many notes, so little talent!

Mikey T
    Eclectica de Esoterium
  • mike85021 @cox.net
    Just say NO!
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/21 23:27:36 (permalink)
    Thanks for the great recipe, Brandon. It looks like it would be very cool to try, but the cruel reality is that only the Bakers & the Beta Boys have the necessary software to try this out yet. The rest of us are happy, yet missing a key component.

Oh, I know what you'll say, "Install the demo, while you're waiting." I didn't fall for that one the last time, and I won't now, either. But we're still getting refugees wandering in with residual fallout from the last demo aftermath. <g>

Still, thanks for the tips; I'll be sure to try them out next week when V2 arrives.
    soulkraka
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/21 23:39:40 (permalink)
    ..... n/m
    post edited by soulkraka - 2005/04/22 00:34:30
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/21 23:39:45 (permalink)
    Sweet! Thanks Brandon!
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/21 23:44:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: techead

Sweet! Thanks Brandon!

My pleasure...enjoy

And to b-rock...

Oh now go on and download the demo...you KNOW you want to Makes cruel reality slightly less cruel.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    oroboros
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/21 23:44:49 (permalink)
    Yeah, you're torturing us here, man ... but seriously, thanks for the tips, Brandon ... sounds awesome, I'll have to try it out ... when I have the program ... (less tipin', more shippin' ... then tipin' ... cheers)

To think, at one time P5 was a $429 MSRP app.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/21 23:50:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: oroboros

Yeah, you're torturing us here, man ... but seriously, thanks for the tips, Brandon ... sounds awesome, I'll have to try it out ... when I have the program ... (less tipin', more shippin' ... then tipin' ... cheers)

LOL (and a big evil grin)

OK, rather than driving back to LA, I'm going to drive to Boston, round up some carrier pigeons and get copies to you guys in a jiffy. Keep a window open and start watching the skies...

oroboros
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/22 00:06:21 (permalink)
    Allll-right, I'll have my pigeons watch out for your pigeons. I'm the guy tapping his heals.

To think, at one time P5 was a $429 MSRP app.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
    RockMaestro
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1245
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/22 00:14:29 (permalink)
    That's basically what you did in that demo video right? How long did it take for you to set that thing up, before you did the demo?

This is gonna be fun!
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/22 00:23:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RockMaestro

That's basically what you did in that demo video right? How long did it take for you to set that thing up, before you did the demo?

This is gonna be fun!

Very perceptive. It is very similar save for a few differences....

In the video I was using the mouse to trigger Groove Matrix lanes on "Measures" and I wasn't in "re-trigger" mode. So, I wasn't really showing how you can juggle beats and do really cool rhythmic stuff by playing the groove-matrix. I guess I'm just more comfortable with it now
    Also, I was using a knob to control the gate, but not filters as well on Zeta during the arpeggiations. This just adds to the "freakin' cool!" factor.
    And... it's alot of fun calling up a few different synths and switching between them for different sections of your Groove Matrix jam.

To answer the question about how long it took before the demo:

Due to illness and catastrophic drive failure, I actually put that together overnight in a hotel room in Germany (jetlagged) with my laptop, a PCR1, and a pair of headphones. It maybe took a couple hours or so, but maybe more due to the fact that I was actually having a good time and jamming quite a bit
    post edited by Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk] - 2005/04/22 00:26:19

whitefalcon
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1161
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/22 01:20:27 (permalink)
    Due to illness and catastrophic drive failure, I actually put that together overnight in a hotel room in Germany (jetlagged) with my laptop, a PCR1, and a pair of headphones. It maybe took a couple hours or so, but maybe more due to the fact that I was actually having a good time and jamming quite a bit

Wow you would never know you were sick from watching the video... It did seem like when the other guy was talking you were saying inside, "Come on get on with it" But in the end, the video came of top notch. I think that alone will sell lots of copies of P5v2
    Out of all the new features in P5 which ones do you like the best for your particular work flow?
    Whitefalcon
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/22 01:38:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: whitefalcon

Wow you would never know you were sick from watching the video... It did seem like when the other guy was talking you were saying inside, "Come on get on with it" But in the end, the video came of top notch. I think that alone will sell lots of copies of P5v2
    Out of all the new features in P5 which ones do you like the best for your particular work flow?
    Whitefalcon

Thanks much Falcon! Actually this video was shot on the morning of the second or third day of the show (Messe) so I was feeling a fair bit better by then. Showed up in Germany feeling pretty under the weather though. Thanks again for the kind words.

My favorite new feature...hmmm. First thing that comes to mind is the Groove Matrix...and particularly being able to record your performance in it, easily creating a linear song in the arrange pane. This makes things so much faster and so much more creative IMO. You just do things you wouldn't probably do by just dragging and trimming clips alone. Secondly, I'd say the ultra-gapless audio engine. I'll also throw the tap tempo and the arpeggiator in there. Damn...I'm thinking the multi-lane tracks make things a whole lot easier as well.
    post edited by Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk] - 2005/04/22 01:39:27

wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/22 08:43:28 (permalink)

and now we know why Brandon makes the big bucks

or at least earns whatever bucks CW throws his way

one place I worked about 2 decades ago they tried an experiment in project management where they put the chief trade show demonstrator of the product as product manager -- requirements gathering and testing and scheduling/prioritization. She was also the resident expert in what all the competion could do. It was a graphics program -- so could also generate a large wow factor. Was a pretty successful product launch.

In any case, that was just a recognition of how key a good product demonstrator can be -- for all the knowledge they bring and real-world performance of the product.
    so kudos to you Brandon

Billy Buck
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2101
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/22 09:29:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk]
    I was doing this with Zeta ("WildTB303" patch) with knobs controlling both filters. It was insanely fun and sounded really cool IMO. I also had Dimension up with a custom device chain that included the P5 Phaser (synced), UAD1 Nigel, and a tempo syncing delay for leads. You can switch between both very fluidly without any gaps or stutters.

When you mentioned using the UAD-1, with P5 2.0, without any gaps or stutters, it just warmed my heart, all over I've been a SONAR/UAD-1 user, for years. It nice to hear that the Bakers are UAD-1 enthusiasts too.

As I quickly went through the web demo, on my slow (albeit, by P5 2.0 requirements) PIII 1Ghz DAW, I was pleasantly surprised to hear no hesitations, stutters or gaping, when inserting and deleting my UAD-1 plugins, with full PDC. I could only spend a brief time with the demo last night, but playing back the included sample project, I was able to insert PPI's, open the GUI's, adjust parameters and then delete the plugins, during playback with nary a glitch or gap., with perfect sync. I inserted a couple of 1176's & LA-2A's, on track inserts and routed those tracks to an aux bus and then added a Dreamverb.
    I then routed the aux to the master bus and added a Precision Limiter. I was not used to that type of performance so I had to do it a couple of times to make sure I was not just dreaming. Admittedly, P5 2.0's bussing structure is not as sophisticated, as SONAR 4's Universal Bussing, but hopefully this is the direction that SONAR is moving toward also.
    The only time it seemed P5 2.0's gapless audio engine was comprimized was when I was really pushing the CPU over 80% usage. As long as you keep CPU usage in the low to moderate range (under 80%), P5 2.0 is truly gapless. At least, this is what I found in my early observations.

Btw Brandon, thanks for the P5 2.0 tips and your Musikmesse demo helped sway me over, into actually getting P5 1.5 (with the free upgrade to 2.0), last week.
    post edited by Billy Buck - 2005/04/22 09:33:26

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

Mike West
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/22 10:34:24 (permalink)
    Thanks Brandon looks great. Putting in my order this morning. Had to wait for that credit card payment to clear

Glorph
    grandpa mojo
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/22 12:32:28 (permalink)

Hi all, just wanted to drop by and post a little suggestion for instant fun with the new P5. I've been at NAB all week and had a little time to play with it more and oh man am I having fun. We did about an hour long jam with it and here's some stuff I've found that is really really fun.

1) Create some vertical lanes of loops in the Groove Matrix.

2) Give each one a different feel (i.e "Intro, groovy, heavy, heavier, breakdown, etc). IMPORTANT: Use some of the lanes to create some fills (drum fills, crazy sounds, noises...whatever).

3) Map the lanes in the Groove Matrix to buttons or keys that you can access quickly on your midi controller.

4) Bring up a synth or two using a preset or custom device chain.

5) Pick a killer arp sound.

6) MIDI Map knobs to the filters.

7) Turn on the arpeggiator and map the "Gate" control to a knob.

8) Set the arp to "Random".

9) Set the Groove Matrix to 1/4 note (or even 1/8 note). Also, set the Groove Matrix to "re-trigger mode".

10) Now trigger your grooves, play some notes and start twistin' the knobs. You can retrigger your grooves, beat juggle and generally create sick-ass fills and breaks, while playing crazy arpeggiations, etc.

Feel like setting up a "mini" version of this set up and uploading it to Project5.com? I'd love to get my hands on it...

- Grandpa Mojo
    www.grandpamojo.com
    woodamand
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/22 12:56:23 (permalink)
    Hey Brandon
    Thanks for the tidbits, and for everyone around here let me say - keep 'em comin! There isn't a manual I have seen anywhere that really makes an application understandable in the same as as a person saying, "check out this like this and that".
    Is there a limit to the number of squares in the groove matrix? I hope like hell this works well with my XL7, cause it has tons of knobs and buttons on it, it should be perfect.

check out the new Brain Transfer Project CD
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/braintransfer
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/22 14:00:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Billy Buck

When you mentioned using the UAD-1, with P5 2.0, without any gaps or stutters, it just warmed my heart, all over I've been a SONAR/UAD-1 user, for years. It nice to hear that the Bakers are UAD-1 enthusiasts too.

As I quickly went through the web demo, on my slow (albeit, by P5 2.0 requirements) PIII 1Ghz DAW, I was pleasantly surprised to hear no hesitations, stutters or gaping, when inserting and deleting my UAD-1 plugins, with full PDC. I could only spend a brief time with the demo last night, but playing back the included sample project, I was able to insert PPI's, open the GUI's, adjust parameters and then delete the plugins, during playback with nary a glitch or gap., with perfect sync. I inserted a couple of 1176's & LA-2A's, on track inserts and routed those tracks to an aux bus and then added a Dreamverb.
    I then routed the aux to the master bus and added a Precision Limiter. I was not used to that type of performance so I had to do it a couple of times to make sure I was not just dreaming. Admittedly, P5 2.0's bussing structure is not as sophisticated, as SONAR 4's Universal Bussing, but hopefully this is the direction that SONAR is moving toward also.
    The only time it seemed P5 2.0's gapless audio engine was comprimized was when I was really pushing the CPU over 80% usage. As long as you keep CPU usage in the low to moderate range (under 80%), P5 2.0 is truly gapless. At least, this is what I found in my early observations.

Btw Brandon, thanks for the P5 2.0 tips and your Musikmesse demo helped sway me over, into actually getting P5 1.5 (with the free upgrade to 2.0), last week.

Hey there Billy Buck...it is my pleasure to help out when I can. I do love the UAD1 and use it on nearly everything. Such fantastic plugins and I can see why it would make you happy that we (Cakewalk) use them because obvioulsy we want them to work as well...even from a personal standpoint...

I'm glad to hear everything is solid for you. Your experience is similar to mine...as long as the system has some breathing room, I get no gaps and very smooth performance. It is really a joy using the UAD plugs in this environment, making them part of device chains, etc.

Enjoy...

Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/22 14:01:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wrench45us

and now we know why Brandon makes the big bucks

or at least earns whatever bucks CW throws his way

one place I worked about 2 decades ago they tried an experiment in project management where they put the chief trade show demonstrator of the product as product manager -- requirements gathering and testing and scheduling/prioritization. She was also the resident expert in what all the competion could do. It was a graphics program -- so could also generate a large wow factor. Was a pretty successful product launch.

In any case, that was just a recognition of how key a good product demonstrator can be -- for all the knowledge they bring and real-world performance of the product.
    so kudos to you Brandon

Many thanks wrench45us.

Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/22 14:04:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: grandpa mojo
    Feel like setting up a "mini" version of this set up and uploading it to Project5.com? I'd love to get my hands on it...

- Grandpa Mojo
    www.grandpamojo.com

I'd be glad to. I might get around to it earlier if I can, but I should likely have something up by end of next week.

The Scar
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 760
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/22 14:05:41 (permalink)
    let me say - keep 'em comin! There isn't a manual I have seen anywhere that really makes an application understandable in the same as as a person saying, "check out this like this and that".
    Ditto. (In fact, the first manual was LAME... so keep 'em coming... and hopefully the new manual is a tad more detailed.)

Electro Punk 'n' Roll at www.myspace.com/thescar
    7XL
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 641
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/22 14:08:48 (permalink)
    HEY BRANDON!!!!!

F#$K YOUR WORKFLOW!!!!!!

and shizzle.

I just had to say something.

It's all behind the scenes.....
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/22 14:09:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: woodamand

Hey Brandon
    Thanks for the tidbits, and for everyone around here let me say - keep 'em comin! There isn't a manual I have seen anywhere that really makes an application understandable in the same as as a person saying, "check out this like this and that".
    Is there a limit to the number of squares in the groove matrix? I hope like hell this works well with my XL7, cause it has tons of knobs and buttons on it, it should be perfect.

I might be corrected if I'm off base here, but it appears you can have up to 64 vertical lanes in the Groove Matrix and as many horizontal lanes as you have tracks (including multilane).
    I'll throw tips and techniques out there as I come across things that really make me smile...and I encourage others to do the same...it really is a much more direct way of getting into the real power of an application.

If your XL7 sends standard Midi messages, you should be in trigger nirvana in no time
    post edited by Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk] - 2005/04/22 14:11:59

Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/22 14:11:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 7XL

HEY BRANDON!!!!!

F#$K YOUR WORKFLOW!!!!!!

and shizzle.

I just had to say something.

Remember...they say you can resist anything but temptation.

7XL
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/22 14:16:18 (permalink)
    Just throw a bunch of movie samples in there. And then use a sampler and trigger that with the arpeggiator. And then get Dimension and get some twisted 4 layer pad in there and assign a bunch of knobs to something. And make sure you do the matrix also.

Close your eyes.

You'll see rainbows.

Or something like that.

And shizzle.

And I will resist all temptation until my dying breath.......

Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/22 14:48:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 7XL

Just throw a bunch of movie samples in there. And then use a sampler and trigger that with the arpeggiator. And then get Dimension and get some twisted 4 layer pad in there and assign a bunch of knobs to something. And make sure you do the matrix also.

Close your eyes.

You'll see rainbows.

Or something like that.

And shizzle.

And I will resist all temptation until my dying breath.......

A bunch of key-mapped movie/vocal samples triggered from the arp...OMG...I have to try this...

agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/22 15:08:32 (permalink)

Remember...they say you can resist anything but temptation.

Plus the Borg. So that's temptation and the Borg that you can't resist. And the Spanish Inquisition. ...or is that 'expecting'?... dammit, now I'm confused.

7XL
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/22 15:29:45 (permalink)
    Has someone been listening to Dan Deacon?????

I would like to see a P5 composition with Dan Deacon, Kool Keith and Bernie Worrell.

I can dream can't I.......

whitefalcon
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1161
    RE: 10 easy steps to serous fun with P5 V2 2005/04/22 16:28:30 (permalink)
    Hey Brandon,
    I know I speak for many here. We have several threads on the video alone here. It would be great if we had another video put up on the P5 web site, that goes into more details on getting started in P5 and how to best utilize it. It more it would even be cool to just have a video of a jam session with P5 v2. I noticed on some of the other competitive videos they have jam sessions where the person just makes music... Reason has this as well as Roland for the Phantom. Do you think you would be interested in doing a video. Perhaps we could throw in a P5 T-shirt to sweeten the deal.

The future is what we make it....

You can hear my music at:

www.garageband.com/whitefalcon
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1