MOTIF ES RACK - MIDI Problem! Losing Sustain!

Author
rhythmeus
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 336
2005/05/30 04:17:39 (permalink)

MOTIF ES RACK - MIDI Problem! Losing Sustain!

Any one using MOTIF ES RACK???

I just bought It and I need Help! (I have pated below the email that I sent to yamaha support....no reply yet)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While recording Midi in my Sequencer(SONAR 4), I am losing Sustain for all notes.

The MIDI IN/OUT setting in ES Rack (UTILITY/MIDI) is set to: USB

My MIDI Controller Triton Studio is connected to the MIDI IN and THRU connectors of the Motif Rack ES. The computer running Sonar is connected to the Rack ES via USB.

Here is my set up:

INtel PC 3.0 Ghz
1GB Ram
120+120 GB HDD
MOTU 828 MK II
Sonar 4 Sequencer
Triton Studio Keyboard
Motif Rack ES (Triton Studio Keyboard is the controller)

The way I my setup is configured is as follows:

While tracking
MIDI into SONAR:
MIDI data flows from Triton(OUT)-> ES Rack(IN) -> ES Rack(THRU)->MOTU 828 MK II Soundcard (IN)->PC

MIDI from SONAR
PC(OUT to YAMAHA USB 0-1)->ES Rack.

Here is a detailed description of the problem.

When I trying recoring a MIDI track in sonar where the input is MOTU 828 MK II and output is YAMAHA USB 0-1:

1. For all notes that are recorded , the length of the recorded note is always the smallest unit that can be recorded in SONAR.
2. At times even a few of those notes get dropped.

The problem is being seen only when the ES Rack is set to recieve MIDI via USB.

If I change the MIDI IN/OUT setting on the ES Rack to MIDI, the sustain is not lost, but I cannot produce any sound as I cannot echo MIDI to Motif RACK directly, which being in SONAR.

I need help. I need to fix this problem, as the possible workarounds are very tedious.
(I dont want to keep switching the UTILIY menu everysingle time I was to flip between recording and listening. I also have to listen the the sound as I am recording it in SONAR).

I have installed the Updated USB-MIDI Driver (version 2.1.4)

In the Driver configuration: PC1 out is routed to channel 1 OUT (in teh OUT matrix, I have selected only the left-top radio button). I have also selected the MIDI IN Radio Button and the MIDI ON/OFF check box is unselected.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If any of this makes any sense or anyone has any info, it woudl be great if you could let me know!

Thanks in advance,
rhythmeus

1 Reply Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: MOTIF ES RACK - MIDI Problem! Losing Sustain! 2005/05/30 09:15:39 (permalink)
    I would suggest simplifying the setup to just the Triton, the MOTU, and Sonar--see if that works right. If it does then begin adding a slightly higher level of complexity and test again until you get it to fail.

So to begin, connect Triton MIDI Out -> MOTU MIDI In -> Computer Firewire. In Sonar, select the MOTU as the MIDI source interface in a MIDI track and record some passages. Don't worry about audio or hearing what you're playing--just record the MIDI data stream. Next, use Sonar's event list view to view the events and see if they all have correct length or not. Also, check for other stray controllers that might be cutting off sound (like a foot switch sustain controller or a reset controller).

Once you have that satisfactorily working then begin adding in components.

I also wonder if you are experiencing some sort of MIDI feedback loop since you have USB interface and MOTU both. I am not familiar with the instruments you are using so I can only suggest you very carefully look at the MIDI data flows for each device.

Hope that is helpful...

-Techead
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1